Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:05

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question "Quiet" veggies for dipping

Hi there,
This is a strange question, I know, but can anyone give me some ideas for quiet veggies for dips and things? I'm going back to school in less than a month (2x week in the evenings) and I don't want to rely on Atkins bars like I did last year (they made me stall, I think). I'm trying to eat more veggies and protiens and organic food. I'd love to take some veggies with cheese spread or dip as a mid-evening snack. The problem is I sit in a very small and not very accoustically courtious classroom and I can just imagine myself chomping on celery in the middle of a lecture . So I need some ideas on non-crunchy or minimum-crunch veggies.

The only one that comes to mind right now is tomato but I'd like some variety..

Any ideas?

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 21:33

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I haven't thought long and hard on this topic, but what comes to mind first is making roll-ups ...

spinach or other green leafy stuff spread with cream cheese or a cheese dip and then rolled up. That should be relatively quiet and not as messy as trying to dip in to something as you go.

You can do the same thing with deli meats, and if you like pickles, you could use dill pickle relish mixed with cheese/cream cheese inside the slice of turkey or ham or whatever to jazz it up without the crunch of a whole pickle.

Still thinking ...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 22:12

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

what about slices of zucchini--that shouldn't be too noisy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 02:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Cooked cauliflower and broccoli. For that matter, any cooked vegetable will have minimum crunch. I like whole heads ofBelgian endive for dipping.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I agree with Karen ... lightly steamed veggies would be great! They'd still have a bit of crispness, but not noisy ... and less likely to have a strong odour as well. (raw broccoli and cauliflower are yummy, but the aroma might not impress the person sitting next to you when you open the container )

possibitlies: broccoli and/or cauliflower florets, whole green or yellow beans, baby carrots (bit higher in carbs), daikon radish sticks, asparagus spears ..

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 04:26
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I like whole heads of Belgian endive for dipping.

I like taking individual leaves then putting either egg salad, tuna salad, or some roasted chicken, sprouts & salt and pepper, or basil, fresh mozzarella (boccacini (sp?) ) and a few slices of cherry tomatoes (and actually LOTS of other weird stuff, too!) in them and eating them like little mini-wraps or tacos.

The little leaves don't tear as easily as lettuce leaves, and then you can really taste the fillings and not so much of the lettuce!

~Kimberly