Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:39

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default My idea to reduce carbs in baking -- realistic?

Hi Karen and everyone,

I came up with this idea last night; I'd like to bounce it off you to see if you think it'll work.

It seems that the LC cake recipes get most of their carbs from the maltodextrin in Splenda. If we could substitute the right amount of DaVinci's syrup for maltodextrin/Splenda, we could eliminate 24 g. of carb per cup, right?

I emailed DaVinci's this morning to figure out how much syrup to substitute and got this reply:

Quote:
A typical sugar free syrup (vanilla) contains 0.127% sucralose or 0.01895 grams per tablespoon of syrup. Using the "600 times sweeter than sugar" assumption, one tablespoon of syrup contains the sweetening equivalent of 11.37 grams of sugar or 0.40 ounces. So, you would need 40 fluid ounces of syrup to equal 1 pound of sugar.

I have not yet checked their math or calculated how much to use for a cup of Splenda.

We'd still have to re-adjust the recipe for moisture. Most of the moisture in these recipes comes from eggs. Couldn't we use dried powdered eggs and then add the moisture back as DV syrup and water? I've never used powdered eggs, are they nasty? I've seen egg powder for years in the King Arthur Flour catalogue; apparently some bakers use it because it carries no salmonella.

If I figure out how much of everything to substitute, is this all going to work? Do LC recipes depend on the baking qualities of maltodextrin? How bad do dried eggs taste?

By the way, I bravely tried you pork rind carrotless cake yesterday. I can't believe that those ingredients actually produced a cake! And a pretty decent one too! (I used the zucchini variation.) If we could cut out the maltodextrin, it would be almost zero carb!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 17:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

b2w, this looks like a recipe to make you mental!

First off, trying to compensate for the amount of liquid would be difficult and second, the syrups are used for flavouring. Anything you made with them as an AS sub would probably be overwhelming in flavour.

A scant 2 cups of sugar equals a pound so to substitute 1 cup of sugar would be 1 1/4 cups syrup, which is a lot!

Low carb recipes for baking do not need maltodextrin. All the other ingredients provide the structure. And powdered eggs are fine when mixed with other things.

What about using stevia? No carbs and not so much of a headache?

Glad you liked the "carrot" cake. Pork rinds are always a surprise!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 17:35

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
b2w, this looks like a recipe to make you mental!
I seem to come up with a lot of recipes for that!

I suppose you're right about the flavor. And some of those flavors are pretty cloying. If we're talking about 1 1/4 cups syrup, it could also get expensive fast.

Has anyone tried getting DV to make "plain" flavored syrup since the liquid Splenda campaign has gone nowhere?

Your "carrot" cake has inspired further experimentation with pork rinds and more recipes to make me mental!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/115/110
BF:
Progress: 80%
Smile Plain Sugar Free Splenda Syrup

Hi!

I thought you might want to know that Nature's Flavors now has something they call a Syrup Base (to make your own sugar free syrups) that is sweetened with liquid Splenda.

Mine is on order and I have not yet received it so I can't say exactly what it is or how it tastes.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.naturesflavors.com/produ...d=2851&cPath=71
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 17:45
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Default carrot cake

Carrot cake, did somebody say carrot cake? I looked at Karen's recipe page and didn't see a carrot cake recipe. Where do I find this.

Thanks,
Arnie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 00:51
Forum Founder

BF:

Hey Arnie! Where 'ya been?

These are carrot cake discussion links:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=carrot+cake

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=carrot+cake

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:40
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Thanks for the links Karen. It will be nice to be able to have cake on special occasions.

I've mostly been lurking lately, but I still come here fairly often. I and Trish are registered for your class at the Cookshop on June 7th. We are looking forward to it.

Arnie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:30
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I and Trish are registered for your class at the Cookshop on June 7th. We are looking forward to it.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing you both.

Karen