Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/196/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question smoking and carb addiction + alternating between diets

Hello Low-Carbers! I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I am new to low carbing and love it. I feel like a different person! There are two "issues" I would like to throw out there to see if anyone has advice or experience with them. I am trying not to act like a newbie, so I apologize in advance if these issues have already been discussed.

1. Do you think smoking can be a "medicine" for carb addiction? I quit smoking 18 months ago and gained 35 lbs in about 6 months. I have been struggling for the last year to get the weight off. After I quit smoking, I felt like my entire body changed. The weight I gained was primarily around my stomach and waist. I also think this is really when I developed or noticed my carb addiction. I guess I think I was using my addiction to nicotine to curb my carbo cravings. I am finding it extremely difficult to lose the weight. I only wish I had known about CAD/CALP at the time I quit. It would have been the perfect transition. Has anyone else out there had any experience with quitting smoking with weight gain? In the CAD book, the Hellers make a reference that there are new studies being conducted on the post-quitting physical changes in our bodies, especially the body's tendency to hold onto weight.

2. Does anyone alternate between Atkins and CAD? Using CAD's principles and science, it seems that it wouldn't hurt to use the Atkins principles on some days. Basically, you would just be limiting your reward meal to almost no carbs. I don't see how that could hurt. Anyway, just some thoughts. Any feedback or advice?

Talk to y'all later......

Shannie

Sponsored Links