Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 11:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Wednesday:

Went to family room at 4:30 a.m. to do Tae-Bo, and my tapes were missing! I spent so much time searching through the tapes in the cabinet that it was too late to do cardio! The empty cartons were in the cabinet, but no tapes! DH finally pulled out the T.V., and there they were -- on the floor behind the T.V. stand! Children must have taken them out of the VCR and set them on top of the T.V. and they fell behind it! So, to make a long story longer -- I will have to do Tae-Bo tonight when I get home from work.

Went to gym on lunch hour and did UBWO -- NEED GLUTAMINE!!! I can already feel it!

Tomorrow, cardio will be treadmill -- I shouldn't have any problem finding that!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:30

BF:

Tae-Bo went well -- did 30 mins. after work yesterday.

Well, I would not have had a problem finding the treadmill if I had not overslept! So, will need to do cardio tonight after work. But that's alright -- son is going to a friend's after school, so I won't need to be there to help him with his homework until after 7:00. I will either do treadmill or, if the weather cooperates, take dogs for a 2 mile walk and stop into my parent's on the way home.

We have a lunch meeting tomorrow, so I could not do LBWO on lunch hour. I could have gone after work, but IT"S A FRIDAY!!!! So, I went on my lunch hour today instead. I can really feel the difference as my body is depleted of carbs -- Monday I could handle a lot more weight and reps than I could today. I was shakey at times.

I still get negative on the ketostix. It is very discouraging -- I've been totally faithful -- carbs have been less than 20 every day (per Fitday). In the entire 15 months I've done low carb, I've only had a positive reaction on the ketostix twice, and one time was on the third day of a fat fast. My dream is to, just for a while at least. get the stix a color other than tan!!!!

I finally invested in a new scale -- the old one was so unreliable that if you stepped on it 3 times in a row, you got 3 different (wildly varied) weights. I feel more like I'll know exactly how much I'm losing now. Monday is weigh-in day!
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 06:12

BF:

Thur. after work -- took dogs for a walk -- 30 min., 2 miles. Boy are my quads and calfs sore! I really pushed the weights!

Fri., 4:30 a.m. - 30 min. on exercise bike (my least favorite type of exercise, but at least it's a bit of variety).
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 11:50

BF:

No particular exercise over the weekend. Just usual housework, and chased 15 month-old grandchild around for a while.

Monday: 30 mins. on treadmill; incline 4 - 6; 4.0 - 5.0 mph; 2.2 miles, 404 calories burned.

At gym on lunch hour: UBWO.

Weigh-in went well -- I really have my hopes up that I can break 200 and stay that way. I did once before, but tend to gain and lose the same few pounds over and over again -- it came back, found a few friends, and never went away. The less than 200 weight was also on my old scale, which I know was inacurate. The new one, I believe is accurate, so if I go below 200 on this one, it should be real! My goal is (I know that I should not be in a rush, but I am so excited to start losing again) to be less than 200 by this time next week. There, I've said it! So, now I need to keep up everything I've been doing to make it happen. Unfortunately, ketostix are still negative -- what I wouldn't give for just a couple days of some other color besides tan!!!!!
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 11:25

BF:

Today, 4:30 a.m. -- 30 min. on exercise bike -- this is probably my least favorite exercise! While I was at the gym yesterday for UBWO, there was a class in session -- 'Body Pump' -- it looked very interesting. I asked a co-worker who is in the class about it, and I might try it. She said it's at 12:10 on Mondays, so I can go during my lunch hour. It's using free weights to do squats, lunges, presses, etc. to upbeat music as a class. She said you set your own weights -- it might take a couple of sessions before I know how much weight to use for each set.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 11:30

BF:

Oh, yes, forgot to add that last night when I got home I walked the dogs for 1-1/2 miles! Total miles for Monday -- almost 4 miles, plus UBWO at gym!
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 11:34

BF:

Wed.

Overslept, so I'll do Tae Bo after work. LBWO at gym on lunch hour.

I have never done weights on such a low carb count before, and it's really taking it's toll. The most I could leg press today was 90 pounds!!! I really don't want to increase carbs, though, because it seems as though the weight loss has already stopped, and the ketostix still are negative. I lost the initial few pounds of water, regained one pound, and now I'm at a stand still again. So, my dream (mini goal) of breaking 200 is a long ways off -- I would need to lose 6 pounds to attain the goal, and at the rate I lose, it will be at least 3 months, if not longer! So, for now, I'll just concentrate on getting as fit as possible, staying on track with my meals, and staying healthy. If that's the best I can do for myself -- get and stay fit and healthy, then so be it. The point is that I feel great and want to stay that way!

I would love to 'carb up' with high glycemic junk on a weekend, but I've tried it a couple of times, and it just does not work for me. For one thing, I have a hard time getting back to low carb after eating the junk. Also, I gain a few pounds during that day, and it takes the whole week to lose them. By the time I've lost the weight I gained during the carb up phase, it's time to carb up again! Can't see any point in losing, gaining, and losing the same few pounds week after week. So, I'll have to find a better way. Been thinking about trying the Zone -- no hurry, but still thinking about it.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 11:17

BF:

Went home from work and did Tae Bo. It was a really terrific workout! Between the LBWO at gym and the Tae Bo yesterday, I can really feel the sore muscles on my lower body today, so I must have done something right!

Was too tired to get up again this morning. But, that's alright. Instead of using the treadmill, I can go home and take the dogs for a nice walk ( 2 or 3 miles). I can get some fresh air, a good workout, and the dogs will benefit, too. That beats going on the treadmill any time.

Tomorrow will be UPBW at gym, then on Monday I'm going to try the Body Pump class as my LBWO. Hope I can survive that one -- I'm sure I'll be sore (LOTS of glutamine, coming up!)
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:00

BF:

Fri. -- slept later again -- I have been SO TIRED lately!!!!! So, I'll need to do cardio when I get home. Would like to walk the dogs as I did yesterday, but it's raining today -- 70% chance for the rest of the day -- and it's a COLD rain! It's so COLD the past couple of weeks, and it's not supposed to get any better. Weekend highs of low 40's, and next week, highs in the 30's!!!! That's December weather, not October. It feels more like Christmas than like Halloween.

Did UBWO at gym on lunch. Did a LOT of reps at lower weight to really exhaust muscles!!!!
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:17

BF:

Tried to post here yesterday on lunch hour, but could not get into the forum -- don't know if this site was down or if it was the server at work.

Didn't do much exercise over weekend -- usual housework, etc.

Monday: 2.2 miles walk with dogs for cardio. LBWO at gym. I decided to wait until next Monday to start Body Pump class because my back has been twinging lately and I don't want to irritate it.

This morning: 30 mins. on exercise bike. Hope the weather holds out -- it's cloudy but not raining or snowing right now -- want to walk dogs after work.

Had a bad day yesterday. Planned on trying the Zone diet. I think I'm going to have problems -- fat is too low, and I was very hungry! Did a BAD thing -- ate one of son's miniature chocolate bars! I'll never be certain, but I think I would have been able to resist if I had not felt hungry. And, really, at that moment, I think a bit of protein would have satisfied me, but veggies or fruit did not appeal at the time, and I'd had my allotment of protein and fat for the day per Zone guidelines. I don't know if I'll adjust to this lower fat thing. Also, I don't think I'm doing this correctly -- calories are way too low (of course, I increased them with the candy!), and fat ratio was too high, but I think it's because the calories were so low. Not sure what I'm doing wrong (besides eating something I shouldn't).
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 13:13

BF:

Wanted to walk dogs last night, but grandson needed help with his homework, and it was dark by the time we were done. Thought we needed to get it done right away because he was supposed to have a Boy Scout meeting. After it was too late to walk, Scoutmaster called and postponed meeting to tonight! Also, if his son is still sick, they might move the meeting to my house! Most times I wouldn't mind, but it's my 31st wedding anniversary today, I have to work until 5:00, and if they have the meeting at our house, I'll need to rush home from work, throw dinner together, and clean up the house a bit. Then we'll have the meeting, and by the time it's done, DH will be going to bed -- we'll hardly see each other! I really hope they don't need to move the meeting to my house!

Today: 30 min. Tae Bo. Tae Bo went well -- got a LOT of anger out! It's been a horrible emotional roller coaster for the past 2 months with my youngest daughter (actually -- it's been going on for years, but the past two months have been especially bad). We're raising her son (he's 9 years old) because she abandonded him when he was 14 months old (she was only 16 when he was born). She' been living in Chicago, has had a boyfriend she's living with who seems to be quite responsible -- good job, tells her she should take more responsiblity, etc. She decided 2 months ago that she was leaving him and told her son that she was moving home for a while. He was so excited! Then, she changed her mind and stayed in Chicago instead. He was devasted! She got an appartment with another woman, and they partied all the time -- just drank and partied. She told her son she was coming home for his birthday in Sept., but not only did she not come home, she did not even call him! In fact, she didn't call or contact us for 3 weeks. Then, suddenly, the boyfriend called and said she had come back to him. She was calling us again -- they are supposed to be buying a house, getting married -- everything seemed fine. Now, suddenly, no warning, she took off again. Told the boyfriend she was going across the street to buy something, and didn't come back. She took off drinking with another girlfriend! I am so sick of her behaviour and the way she treats her son! I am so angry at her -- she needs to grow up! She's 25, not 15 anymore. She's missed holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother's Day, her son's birthday, several times in his short life. I don't know how long this spree will last, but I'm afraid one of these times something is going to happen to her while she's out drinking. She needs help -- her boyfriend told her that he would help her -- get her whatever help she needs, whether it's treatment, counseling, medication, whatever, but she won't listen. So, the exercise is my stress relief, and boy do I need it! At least I'm not smoking anymore -- walking, Tae Bo, weights, etc. are a much healthier form of stress relief then smoking or eating!

Also did UBWO at gym on lunch hour. Workout was great -- had a LOT more energy from increased carbs (more veggies & fruits).

Tomorrow: plan to do treadmill in the a.m., go to school in the afternoon to watch the Halloween parade, help with classes games (I'm the 'Room Mother' this year), then walk grandson around trick or treating.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 07:20

BF:

DH & I took grandson and a friend to Wisconsin Dells over the weekend. It was a HUGE hotel complex -- so I got lots of walking in! There were multiple buildings, all connected, so you could walk from the hotel room to water park, restaurant, etc., or you could take a 'shuttle van' from building to building. We, of course, walked -- it was probably 1/2 a mile from our room to the water park and 3/4 of mile to the restaurant -- so I did get exercise in both Sat. and Sun.

Monday: 32 mins. on treadmill -- 4.0 to 7.0 mph., incline 4 - 6.

Have a dentist appt. and need to leave work early, so I did not want to take an hour long lunch today -- I'll either do free weights at home tonight, or go to gym on lunch hour tomorrow -- I'll see how late it is after dentist appt.
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:12

BF:

Monday, did free weights at home after work -- UBWO.

Tuesday -- overslept , so could not do a.m. cardio. Also, had appt. after work, it was raining at lunch time so I could not walk during lunch, so, no cardio on Tuesday. I'll have to make up for it by doing an extra day (usually take Sunday off, but I'll do cardio on Sunday).

Wed.: 30 min. on exercise bike in the a.m. LBWO at gym on lunch hour.

Tomorrow: plan to do Tae Bo in the a.m., then walk for 20 - 30 min. outside on my lunch hour.

I'm taking Friday off work to strip and refinish my kitchen cabinets, so I'll do UBWO with free weights at home (gym is near my work, not my home; no point in getting ready and driving 10 miles to the gym and back just to do workout when I have weights at home).

This Monday I'm going to start the Body Pump class on my lunch hour. Hope I can still walk on Tuesday!!!
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 12:43

BF:

a.m.: 30 min Tae Bo

lunch time: 30 min. walk outside! It's a beautiful fall day here -- in the 50's and sunny. Felt great to get outside; treadmills, exercise bikes and Tae Bo tapes might be good exercise, but nothing beats a walk outside on a beautiful day -- it feeds the spirit while subtracting the body fat.

Tomorrow and Sat. are iffy; not sure that I'll need any additional exercise or lifting. Plan on taking off my kitchen cabinet doors and stipping the old finish off both the doors and the cabinets. While the stripper is working, I'll be outside doing lots of yard work: raking leaves, planting flower bulbs, digging up old flower beds, etc. It's supposed to be much like today for the next 2 days, maybe even a bit warmer (close to 60!).

Been trying to follow the Zone eating plan. Haven't quite got the hang of it yet, but I'm getting there. Tracking calories, I've been at a minimum of 1500 per day -- some days higher, so I'm not going too low. Eating more variety of veggies and fruits, adding some peanut butter, yogurt, and cottage cheese -- even an occasional glass of milk -- is such a pleasant change. Yes, I have felt hungry a few times. But, not ravenous, and it is actually a GOOD feeling! I really anticipate my meals and appreciate them. It's also solved my 'irregularity' problem, and I actually have LESS cravings than I did before. The main difference that I can see is that it takes more planning to get the carb/fat/protein balance right. Yes, I'm eating less fat and more veggies and fruits, but I really like that. It's more what I anticipated Atkin's maintenance plan to be like, and I have so looked forward to that! So far, I have lost 2 pounds this week, so the change has not caused a weight gain. Hope this continues to work for me. At least I feel really good and the increased carbs have helped my workouts -- I have LOTS of energy!
  #135   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 12:04

BF:

Not much to report, but thought I would post my non-progress! Worked all day and evening on Fri., Sat., and Sun. (12 - 16 hours each day) trying to get my kitchen cabinets refinished. Made progress, but there's a LONG way to go (and I only have this weekend and next to get them completely done!)

By Monday my hands were so swollen that I could not even close them (from holding the putty knife and sander for 3 days) and my left hip was so painful that I could barely walk.

The hip is now improved, but not completely healed. The hands are mostly better. Needless to say, I did not do any cardio -- the exercise bike, walking, or Tae Bo kicks would have been too painful. My hands could barely hold a pencil -- forget trying to hold weights!

What a mess!!! If I had any idea what I was getting myself into, I don't know if I would have started this. The entire contents of my cabinets is in various boxes scattered throughout the house. There was sanding dust everywhere. I used a mask for the dust, but then my eyeglasses kept fogging up so I couldn't see very well. I didn't have goggles, so I had to stop occasionally to use eyewash to get the grit out of my eyes. By Monday, both of my eyes were swollen and bloodshot, and pink above and below the eyes. To top it all off, I had to listen to my DH complain about the mess ever since we started the project. And the worst part is that we're not done yet!

The refinishing saga continues -- starting where I left off right after work this afternoon. Hopefully I won't be in the same shape this Monday! I MISS MY EXERCISE!!!! But, now that I've started the cabinets I have to finish them (having lots of company, starting with Thanksgiving all the way through Christmas). All I can do at this point is to keep telling myself how nice they will look when they're done -- it's the only thing that keeps me going.