Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

Finding lard in Georgia should not be that hard. Asking for it may get odd looks, because we are supposed to shun fats, lard, etc. I've seen lard sold by the pound, wrapped in waxy wrapper in a block, like butter, in the refrigerated section of a market.

In SoCal, lard is called manteca and is sold by the block/bucket.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 15:11
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm glad to see some activity on this thread. You DO realize that besides the recent activity, the posts were from 2006, nearly a year ago.

LynnP is not around anymore. The article for the link she posted that didn't work was quoted in its entirety in a post by her a page or so further in the thread.

I've been eating high fat over the last year. But I was having too many carbs and my weight had creeped (crept?) up to 179 as of last Saturday.

I have decided that I want to go lower in my weight now, all the way down to 160, and I am on my 6th day of eating fat and protein almost exclusively.

I've lost 6 lbs in those 6 days! I have so much energy I can hardly sit still!

Fat absolutely rules!!

Last edited by Jen B : Fri, Apr-13-07 at 15:16.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 15:37
Registered Member

Oops, I did not notice the gap - from June'06 to April'07 as Fauve reviewed the posts and breathed life into the thread.

Topic is interesting. Write ON!
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 07:25
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default High Fat - Low Protein

I've been looking for fatty foods that don't have too much protein and that are, of course, low in carbs. I've come up with these so far:

avocados
macadamias
half & half yogurt
black olives

According to Fitday:

1/2 California avocado (black skin)
Cals. 139
Fat 13
Carbs 6
Protein 2

1 oz of unroasted macadamias
Cals. 204
Fat 21
Carbs 4
Protein 2

Half & Half Yogurt, 6 oz
Cals. 240
Fat 21
Carbs 6
Protein 5

(I make my own half & half yogurt in a Euro Cuisine yogurt maker. It has 7 little jars and they are 6 oz each. So thick, creamy, and delicious , less carbs and more fat.)

6 large black olives
Cals. 29
Fat 3
Carbs 2
Protein 0

Quote:
The Avocado Advantage

Once banished for being high in fat, this fruit is making a healthy comeback.

WebMD FeatureAug. 14, 2000 -- For as long as he can remember, George Bliss, age 81, has been eating avocados morning, noon, and night. A second-generation California avocado farmer, Bliss loves the fruits of his labor. "I eat three avocados a day," he says with the fervor of a true addict. "I have one on my eggs in the morning, one in my salad at noon, and one with my dinner."

Partaking of his land's bounty doesn't seem to have done Bliss any harm. After eight decades of daily avocado consumption, he's still going strong; at 6 feet tall, he weighs a trim 180 pounds. He believes that he has avocados to thank for his good health. "I'm still living and I'm over 80," he says. "I do some exercise on a bicycle, and I walk through the orchards keeping up with my business. I don't need a cane or anything." And sure, Bliss says, his green globes might be a bit fatty, but that's no reason to fear them.

Whole article: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/avocado-advantage
Anybody else have some "fatty favorites" that come in low on the protein scale? If so, post them here with the stats, and we'll build a base to work with.

Last edited by Jen B : Sat, Apr-14-07 at 08:09.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 09:08
Registered Member

http://www.fitwise.com/Food_Counts.asp offers this info:
Quote:
Butter: 1 Tablespoon, regular, unsalted
100 calories, 0.1g protein, 0 carbohydrate, 11.4g fat
All of us ButterSnackers are having a ball, snacking on butter!

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c208C.html offers:
Quote:
Coconut oil: 1 Tbs... 116 calories, 0g protein, 0g carb, 13.5g fat
Olive oil: 1 Tbs ....... 119 calories, 0g protein, 0g carb, 13.5g fat
Green olive: 1oz ..... 40.6 calories, 0.3g protein, 1.1g carb, 4.3g fat
Ripe olive: 1oz ....... 32.2 calories, 0.2g protein, 1.8g carb, 3.0g fat
I figure 1oz = 2Tbs (roughly), when I am working out equivalent values.

Last edited by Zer : Sat, Apr-14-07 at 09:49.
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 17:50
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I was unaware yogurt could be made from half&half-- ill have to give it a try. Manteca or lard here and everywhere is hydrogenated (transfat) and I avoid it mostly and use coconut oil. I also eat pork belly (a thick natural bacon) which is quite delicious when correctly prepared. I brown it in coconut oil.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/05/11/C...__This_fa.shtml
  #112   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 17:55
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Anybody else have some "fatty favorites" that come in low on the protein scale? If so, post them here with the stats, and we'll build a base to work with.

Hi Jen, Have you seen the tool in MY PLAN where you just plug in any ratio of fat/protien/carb and it finds all the food for you?
  #113   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 12:27
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Kandra, I'll check out My Plan.

Here's a new favorite of mine using coconut oil. Melt a heaping spoon of VCO. Add a serving of chocolate, let it melt, and then some mint extract. Pour into a buttered container and chill. This is the best chocolate-mint patty I've ever tasted, and I've been eating one every day after dinner.

I use Endangered Species 88% chocolate bars. That's the darkest and most bittersweet I can find. There's 15 squares in the bar, and I use 3 squares per serving, which equals about 5 carbs. Then I have peppermint extract from the HFS. I would say I use about 12-15 drops per serving.

I don't like anything very sweet, and the small amount of sweetness in the chocolate bar is plenty for me.
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: Zero carb. Meat Only
Stats: 176/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've been dealing with alot of "degenerative" issues, and guess what. I'm only 22 years old.

The root problem for me, really my whole life, has been physiological. Never mental. I realized through a blood test, and some research that I was severely insulin resistant. I was at stage one of type 2 diabetes and had no clue for a long time.

I've been reading alot about prehistoric human diets and the interesting thing about them is they involve very little carbohydrates. Whatever anybody tells you about ketosis, or carbs...carbs are NOT an essential part of the human diet. This is a myth. I removed nearly all the carbs from my diet several weeks ago and have turned into a completely different person. I still get a few grams from spinach and broccoli, but I went from eating probably 3-4 hundred grams a day, to nearly zero the next and immediately my low blood sugar disappeared. Not only that, but everything else stopped too.

I was developing syndrome x. My depression, panic attacks, early hair loss, fatigue, social anxiety, and even my out of whack hormones were ALL because of this.

My depression disappeared immediately. I'm like rock solid steel now, nothing phases me. My anxiety is gone, no panic attacks at all.

The correlation between syndrome x, carbs and hair loss is insulin. If you're insulin resistant your body produces insane amounts of insulin because the cells are resistant to its effects. Insulin is highly inflammatory, and may be the REAL cause behind "genetic" balding. The minute I eliminated carbs from my diet my scalp smoothed out and the increased sebum that is characteristic of hair loss has disappeared. My scalp feels as smooth now as a baby's butt.

America is wrong, and has been wrong ever since the low-fat garbage came out. Fat, is NOT the enemy. I've tried the low-fat/low-calorie crap twice in my life. The summer before my junior year of HS, and at the time I didn't realize it, but I had not only lost all the fat but I lost all my lean muscle mass too. I looked awful, droopy skin and everything.

Again in 2004-2005. I looked even worse, and my body was really falling apart. This, interestingly enough, was when my blood sugar issues got really out of control and I started having to eat every 2 hours or I'd feel like I was gonna die. Also very coincidentally my hair began thinning exactly the same time as my blood sugar/insulin began to go crazy.

Carbohydrates are the problem, not fat. People need to stop eating so many carbs. Low-fat is deadly. Fat is actually good for heart disease when you stop eating carbs. Insulin is the reason fat gets stuck and deposited into arteries.

Saturated fat is HEALTHY for you. In fact it's the healthiest kind of fat you can eat. Why? Because it is the least likely to oxidize in the blood, and it must oxidize before it can damage anything. Omega-6 is the fat all those vegetable oil companies were promoting as the "healthy" alternative to saturated fat. Ironically, Omega-6 is the MOST likely to oxidize in the blood stream, and omega-6 is the fatty acid most often found stuck in arteries of dead people from heart attacks.

People have been brainwashed for years that low-fat is good for you, well I'm living proof that it's not.

I'm a totally different person now because of this low-carb diet.

Insulin resistance has been my problem forEVER. Even back in high school. Even before that, because I ate soooooooo much sugar all the time.

I have no belly now, in fact I have a small six pack starting to emerge. Me and a SIX PACK!?!?! I thought I was genetically just supposed to have a little pouch there no matter what. Not so. Insulin resistance is the culprit behind storing most of your "Fat" (actually mostly carbs turned into fat by insulin) in your belly.

People are being lied to. In fact I read a quote by an endocrinologist, yes an M.D. for christ's sake, that said eating sweets does not cause diabetes. Eating fat does. I think it was on the biblelife.org website.

That is literally the stupidest frickin thing I've ever heard of. Fat does not cause the production of insulin. Carbs do. Our bodies, by nature, were NOT designed to eat grains of ANY kind. Grains were developed much later on, and were never a part of the prehistoric human diet.

Our bodies are designed to run on fat, and the little bit of glucose it DOES need for the brain and heart it manufactures on its own from protein and a little fat without producing insulin because it only makes what it needs to survive.

I've eaten mostly fat, and some protein with lots of spinach for a couple weeks now. I eat lots of coconut oil, butter, (some) cheese, eggs, fatty chicken thighs, steaks and stuff, and I have almost only pure lean muscle mass left on my body.

No matter what ANYONE tells you, you don't need carbs. Those people that say you should load up on carbs the night before a run for energy are misinformed. That is seriously bad for you, and will send you on a one way train to serious diabetes. Thank god I caught it before I became diabetic.

Only question though that I can't find anywhere. Is it still possible, even without the carbs, to eat too much fat? I probably get around 160-170 grams per day, and I try to get all of them. Saturated, monounsaturated, omega 3...and the like. A good ratio. I don't see how it could be honestly. The more fat I eat the better I feel overall, and the more satiated I feel.

I eat 4-8 of those omega 3 eggs per day and I mix coconut oil into them when I scramble them, and I think it's the greatest meal ever.

EDIT: I should mention, though, about having almost only pure lean muscle mass left after 3 or so weeks of doing this...I wasn't really overweight by much...maybe 5-10 pounds or so. I started this primarily because of my blood sugar problems.

Last edited by SaintAnger : Wed, Apr-18-07 at 22:03. Reason: Correction
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-07, 05:32
Registered Member

Wow, SaintAnger - only 22 and already on the right track in your understanding of health. A 6pack? Holy whatEVER! How cool!

Mind if I join you in a HaPpYdance? I'll just dance my fingers on the keyboard, as a lot of me is too heavy to move the way I'd like to dance. But I'm very very happy for you. Write ON!

Don't miss the ButterSnackers thread! Join folks who enjoy butter by itself, without spreading it on anything carby! Best butter? Kerry Irish Gold, from cows that graze on grass! That's the best tasting butter I've found so far. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...00&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by Zer : Thu, Apr-19-07 at 05:44.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-07, 10:45
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

SaintAnger:

I really enjoyed reading your story. You are an excellent writer - so articulate. And so young to have discovered so much!

I'm with you 100%. Carbs are the enemy! Carbs are the things that binges are made of. For some people, even veggies can create a problem. Fat is the fuel that satisfies.

Even if I tried, I could never binge on fat or protein, so I feel there's a built-in monitor for my intake. I don't worry about having too much. Like you said, the balance is everything. Omega 3/6 ratio, the ratio of fat to protein, etc.

Thanks for joining in here. Your input is amazing!
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-07, 14:48
Registered Member

SaintAnger, will you be our boytoy? Oh, I'm feeling scandalous!
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-07, 14:52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnger
Fat is actually good for heart disease when you stop eating carbs. Insulin is the reason fat gets stuck and deposited into arteries.

Saturated fat is HEALTHY for you. In fact it's the healthiest kind of fat you can eat. Why? Because it is the least likely to oxidize in the blood, and it must oxidize before it can damage anything. Omega-6 is the fat all those vegetable oil companies were promoting as the "healthy" alternative to saturated fat. Ironically, Omega-6 is the MOST likely to oxidize in the blood stream, and omega-6 is the fatty acid most often found stuck in arteries of dead people from heart attacks.
I'm now on the lookout for Omega-6, which I think is in some of my supplements. Thank you for the heads-up on this! Woo-HOO!
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-07, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer
I'm now on the lookout for Omega-6, which I think is in some of my supplements. Thank you for the heads-up on this! Woo-HOO!

Believe it or not Omega-6 is actually good for you, actually it's essential. Omega-3,6 and 9 are essential. 3 and 6 in smaller amounts and I believe a 3:1 ratio (6 being higher) and 9 is separate being oleic acid, the monounsaturated fat in olive oil.

But the trick is antioxidants. Lots of vitamin E and C would be good.

Saturated fat is the most important though. Your body needs saturated fat, so I've read, more than anything else you could ever eat. That's why people get so sick when they take it out and up the carbs.
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-07, 12:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer
SaintAnger, will you be our boytoy? Oh, I'm feeling scandalous!

Totally. I'm quite the scandalous person.