Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 11:23
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Since my weight loss, I have alot of people who are interested in how I achieved my goal. I tell them that I low carb without mentioning a specific plan. If they ask for more information in an interested way, I'll give it to them. But if they start in on how LC is bad for you, I just say that I don't have to defend myself to anyone and move on. Funny, that the people who have an attitude are the ones sitting there guzzling beers (I work in a bar) and eating chips and bar-pies. I could start in on them, but choose not to. My tiny waist and never ending energy speaks for itself.

It's just not worth the hassle.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (60 carbs)
Stats: 150/150/000 Male ?? (12, above-avg male)
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
Since my weight loss, I have alot of people who are interested in how I achieved my goal. I tell them that I low carb without mentioning a specific plan. If they ask for more information in an interested way, I'll give it to them. But if they start in on how LC is bad for you, I just say that I don't have to defend myself to anyone and move on. Funny, that the people who have an attitude are the ones sitting there guzzling beers (I work in a bar) and eating chips and bar-pies. I could start in on them, but choose not to. My tiny waist and never ending energy speaks for itself.

It's just not worth the hassle.

good idea.
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 15:42

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

I really enjoyed my WW experience. To date, I lost more weight on it (around 75 lbs) than I have on any other routine. But I'm doing it with low carb this time because I didn't break my bad food habits with WW, and it lead to weight regain halfway to goal. The failure was my fault though, not the plan's. I'm just happy to feel the same determination now with Atkins, that I did then.
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think Atkins reputation will get any better. WW seems to have established a reputation for being the only safe way to lose weight. The diet itself is very old. I think (not sure) but it was the diet in the armed forces since the 1940's. From what I heard, some women went on it, like it, and marketed it out as hers. No need to say she if a very, very, wealthy women now. Of course Atkins diet is very old also. Long before Dr. Atkins. I think the first writings about came out in 1880's That is how Dr. Atkins came across it.

Ooops...I forgot. This is funny. I know a lady on WW, who assured me South Beach was just like WW, but without the points! This happend today.

Last edited by rachelratz : Sat, Jul-16-05 at 18:32.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 18:45

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
I don't think Atkins reputation will get any better. WW seems to have established a reputation for being the only safe way to lose weight. The diet itself is very old. I think (not sure) but it was the diet in the armed forces since the 1940's. From what I heard, some women went on it, like it, and marketed it out as hers. No need to say she if a very, very, wealthy women now. Of course Atkins diet is very old also. Long before Dr. Atkins. I think the first writings about came out in 1880's That is how Dr. Atkins came across it.

Ooops...I forgot. This is funny. I know a lady on WW, who assured me South Beach was just like WW, but without the points! This happend today.

Weight Watchers changes with the times. It will always be considered the 'best' because it markets whatever is considered the best foods to eat at any one time.
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 18:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I know a lady on WW, who assured me South Beach was just like WW, but without the points! This happend today.

I have a friend who is a WW leader. I gave her my SBD food lists to look over and she was surprised at the things we have that they don't...like hummus!!

WW now has a core plan which is a list of approved foods but you still have to count some things with points. Its not the same but its similar.

I enjoy doing my own thing, thats why this SB plan is working for me. I come here and use this as my meetings. Its been working for me!! Who needs WW meetings and their silly leaders.
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 21:14

Stats: 195/178/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I tell people that I'm "on Atkins" every chance I get. And, as a result, now, two friends have asked what is involved, and one of them came back to me two weeks later raving about how good she felt. The other I haven't had a report from yet....

One way to say it is like this: "Well, I heard about Atkins and it seemed really strange to me, you know (then repeat the false rumors and misimpressions that are common). But I read the book and tried it, and guess what! It works. And, to my surprise, my doctor agreed. Atkins isn't a diet, it's a whole nutritional approach, and a fabulous way to eat."

(And if your doctor does not agree, in spite of the evidence in front of his or her face, I'd suggest getting a different doctor.)
  #113   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

If I think people are serious about wanting to lose weight I open up and tell them everything I know. If I think they're not serious, and I get the vibe they're looking for an excuse to justify their own weight problem (or aren't interested in learning about how to fix weight problems, if they don't have one themselves) then I just avoid the topic by saying I lost weight by reducing carbs a little and watching portions.

It's not that I'm being weak it's just that sometimes you're wasting your breath.
  #114   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 19:42

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:

Dieting has become so...political. I just don't want to get into it. Sometimes I just say (when people ask me how I became thin) that I always have been thin. So far, I have not gone as far as claiming I got this thin on WW....but I just might. I think they veiw me as a freak anyway for being able to maintain my weight lose for so long. Can somebody give me any mumbers on the regaining of weight/maintiaing weight loss, WW vs low carb? I heard it was the same
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 06:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi, Rachel. I don't have any hard numbers, but the maintenance figures on just about EVERY diet are similar, and not very encouraging. But then, not many people actually adhere to a program for life.

I'm a member of the National Weight Control Registry, which tracks successful losers over time. They cite specific behaviors, like exercise and adherence to a program (usually low-fat, but that just reflects the current mainstream) as keys to continuing success.

A person conscientiously following a program--low-carb, low-fat, WW or whatever--will likely be successful. Finding a program for life is the experiment each of us must do for ourselves. One size does not fit all.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 08:08

BF:

The problem is that studies which have compared low carb to, say, WW, have treated them both as "diets." Atkins is not a diet, it is not just some semantic quibble that it is referred to as a "nutritional approach." Not only it is possible to follow Atkins principles -- rigidity is not necessary, but awareness is -- for the rest of one's life, it is actually a happy prospect, at least for many of us. It is not a vision of deprivation. Diets are generally deprivation.

The confusion comes because Atkins does involve a "diet" at the beginning. Studies take a presumably unbiased sample of people and *put* them on this or that diet, and probably also have a control group that eats ad libitem, i.e., whatever they like, as usual. It is utterly unsurprising that these people, nearly all of them, gain the weight back. They went on a diet. It is highly unlikely that the bulk of them actually found and continued to follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach. Even if the "diet" was supposedly Atkins-derived.
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 13:27
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!

I just have to comment on the whole WW debate. In addition to the dozens of other diets I have tried (and resoundingly 100% failed at), I have done WW several times. It did work for a bit...but by the time I was about 2 months into it, I was insane from hunger and pissed off from being patronized by over-dressed, under-intelligent 'teachers' at their meetings. Simply, WW didn't work for me...though I've known folks it worked well for!

This is the longest I've ever been on any 'diet' or eating plan and felt good the whole time while doing it. This mental and physical 'feel good' has helped me make the commitment to a low carb WOE for life. I'm not insane from starvation on Atkins - thus, I'm successful losing weight - and I'm willing to hazard a prediction that I will also be successful at keeping off the weight using this WOE.

In regards to the 'patronization' issue, I'll quote Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'

There was an 'old' response on here comparing WW to AA meetings...in my experience, AA is definitely more like this low-carb forum...lots of ideas and suggestions and support, with a core idea/program that is customizable to what works for each individual. And NO ONE ever talks down to each other at AA meetings...we support each other in our individualized journeys whole-heartedly.

I get that same feeling/support here.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 04:29

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Ditto

Like Abd and Susanne, I've learned two 1/2 years into Atkins how comfortably I can live with it. It has become "the way I eat."

Nevertheless, it requires awareness and commitment--and learning the techniques of personal motivation that work.

Online conversations are an essential activity to me. Thanks!

Barbara
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDiva
There was an 'old' response on here comparing WW to AA meetings...in my experience, AA is definitely more like this low-carb forum...lots of ideas and suggestions and support, with a core idea/program that is customizable to what works for each individual. And NO ONE ever talks down to each other at AA meetings...we support each other in our individualized journeys whole-heartedly.

I get that same feeling/support here.

Yes, that is what most 12-step programs are like. The appropriate program for food issues would be OA, Overeater's Anonymous, which, from my very limited experience in OA (I just went to a meeting or two about fifteen years ago) was just as WyoDiva describes. The discussion forums on lowcarber.org are very much like that, but I'd suggest, if you want face-to-face, OA would be just the ticket. Plus, OA is free; it has no "experts" and "teachers" except for those who simply teach by relating their own experience. Just as happens here. If there are no local meetings or contacts (not very likely, see http://www.oa.org/all_about_meetings.htm), I'd suggest visiting meetings when you travel, and then, if you like it, start a local meeting. Just two people talking is a big thing!
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 09:08
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!

Thank you, Abd, for your comments. I do attend AA both locally and online, and get an overwhelming amount of support for my addictions/obsessions. Amazing how them 12 step programs work for pretty much any problem. Food is the issue in my life I am most powerless over...but low carb WOE has given me the humility and dignity that I was desperately seeking.