Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojrn
When copying the list, make sure to copy the very next previous one so nobody gets dropped. I lined up the list a little better. I'm such an organizer (some would say anal )

HA! I love it! I'm terrible that way too. I think that's why I like this challenge so much.

..................July 1 Weight/Measurement........................................July 31 Weight/Measurement
BlueSojrn.....151 lbs.....................................................................
bonechew
celtia...........168.5 lbs (actual start June 15)...................................
5280Gal
Kay Bee ......150 lbs.....................................................................
Manaloa ......226 lbs....................................................................
Mandra
mfish...........153 lbs....................................................................
oblong.........190.2 lbs, 39/31/40.5.................................................
PaleoChic
Sue333........174.5 lbs (actual start June 20)...................................
tigerh..........156.4 lbs, 100/83.......................................................
weisser4......196.6 lbs..................................................................
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 17:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

..................July 1 Weight/Measurement........................................July 31 Weight/Measurement
BlueSojrn.....151 lbs.....................................................................
bonechew
celtia...........168.5 lbs (actual start June 15)...................................
5280Gal
Kay Bee ......150 lbs.....................................................................
Manaloa ......226 lbs....................................................................
Mandra........203.8 lbs
mfish...........153 lbs....................................................................
oblong.........190.2 lbs, 39/31/40.5.................................................
PaleoChic
Sue333........174.5 lbs (actual start June 20)...................................
tigerh..........156.4 lbs, 100/83.......................................................
weisser4......196.6 lbs..................................................................
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 06:05
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

My first day was wonderful. I had homemade green curry with chicken and gobs of veggies, including the snap peas we're allowed to have.

First time I've ever made that. I've always loved it at Thai restaurants. Now I don't have to go out to eat it and risk getting MSG, sugar, gluten, etc., from unknown ingredients.

I mentioned this yesterday, but I am feeling so calm and settled in making this month-long commitment. It feels deeply, intuitively good and right.

Hope everyone's first day was as good as mine.

I removed the names that didn't join yesterday. If they come in, they can insert their names and stats.

Mandra........203.8 lbs
mfish...........153 lbs.....................................................................
weisser4......196.6 lbs...................................................................

Last edited by BlueSojrn : Sat, Jul-02-11 at 06:10.
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 06:59
Registered Member

BF:

I also had curry last night! I made some with jalferrzi curry. Good stuff.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 07:16
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

I also feel a lot calmer and more focussed about things now! I'm spending the weekend at my dad's house though, and I am trying to stick to my guns. It seems to be working so far! I think my dad is finally on my side. It still feels strange to be so fussy when it comes to food now, considering I've spent most of my life willing to eat absolutely anything that's put in front of me!

A couple of things that I have noticed so far though... Yesterday I ate some raspberries, and some of the tastebuds on the tip of my tongue became swollen and numb. The same thing has just happened after eating my lunch today. I had a chicken thigh with a salad of lettuce, celery, red onion, carrot, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, olive oil and lemon juice. I'm thinking it might be the celery or the red onion (which was quite spicy) but I'm not sure. Sometimes I get the same reaction after eating kiwis, pineapple (neither of which I eat anymore) and raw tomatoes, particularly if they aren't very ripe.

I was going to attempt to cut out coffee and tea this month, but I have decided against it. Cutting out dairy, alcohol, nightshades, smoking AND chocolate is going to be enough of a challenge for someone who enjoys her vices a little too much, although I haven't struggled with any of these things yet!
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 07:26
Registered Member

BF:

oblong, I don't get a numb tongue, but an upset stomach when eating fruit that isn't ripe. That's why I only eat fruit in season and buy from the local farmer's market. It's a sad time for me in the winter.
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 07:51
Paleo and proud!

It tends to happen when the fruit is still quite firm and still a little bit tart and bitter. I sometimes get a similar feeling from firm bananas, but wait a day or two for them to go softer and it's OK.

Having said that, the raspberries I ate yesterday were soft and juicy and I had the same reaction.

It's not a serious reaction, more of an annoyance, but I think that eating this way makes me so much more aware of how my body responds to food and I'm actually quite enjoying making these connections!
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 08:32

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I didn't have such a great day yesterday, but I'm sure happy for the people who did. I have a HORRIBLE cold! I drank a bit of Irish Whiskey to numb my throat. If it's medicinal, is it OK? Just kidding, I know I shouldn't have had it, but at this point in my cold I honestly just didn't care.

Everything else went really well though! Throat isn't sore today, so I'm looking forward to a really good day, and a really good month.
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 14:28
Keepin' It Real

BF:

So sorry about your cold, Sue. Being sick sure puts a damper on things.

oblong, I tend to get sore bumps on my tongue when I eat fresh pineapple, even when it seems plenty ripe, sweet and juicy. Don't know what that is, but it's a bummer because I love pineapple!

Manaloa, I looked up jalferrzi curry and found this recipe, which I think looks enticing. Is this close to your recipe at all?
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 14:50

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

Haven't quite given up dairy yet. I sprinkle a bit on my eggs in the AM. But I am sticking to whole foods, proteins, low carbs, fiber. Seems to be working. Down a little this AM. Waiting for a whoosh! LOL!!
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 20:25
Registered Member

BF:

BlueSojrn, it's close, but my curry mix has these spices: salt, coriander, red chilli, garlic, ginger, black pepper, white pepper, turmeric, sugar, mace, black cumin. And I will usually throw in whatever veggies I have around, zucchini, cauliflower, squash and sweet potatoes. Sometimes if I make it too spicy, I'll add coconut milk.
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 05:07
Keepin' It Real

BF:

weisser4, part of the Whole30 idea is to not weigh yourself for the 30 days.

Beginning day 3, and I am doing well. Food was right on, and so good and satisfying.

I'm feeling a little thinner. I did have an urge to jump on the scale this morning, but I resisted, and will continue to resist. I can see where this is part of the healing that could take place with me if I allow it. When I weigh myself often, I tend to tweak my food plan in response to what the number is. This keeps me constantly in confusion and obsessive mode. My obsessive nature needs healing as much as my food choices and bodily issues.
  #118   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 06:09
Paleo and proud!

I'm with you on that one BlueSojrn! Although I don't obsess over the number on the scales like I used to, it does have an impact on my food choices. The past few months I have been weighing myself almost daily in order to figure out the connection between my food choices and my weight but now that we're on the Whole 30 challenge, there is nothing for me to figure out! I won't be drinking that half bottle of wine, or eating that piece of chocolate or having that biscuit at work because my food choices have already been decided for the month! In being strict I feel that I have so much more freedom
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 09:51

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojrn
weisser4, part of the Whole30 idea is to not weigh yourself for the 30 days.

I know, it is just a habit. I have always done it even when my weight was optimal. For me it is an affirmation of my hard work, not a judgement. I have never been a skinny-mini but have been very fit and muscular. So I know the weight I carry can be muscle and not fat and at some point they will change places and muscle will be the major factor in my weight instead of fat.

I had a breast reduction a year ago that removed 3lbs (think a bag of apples as my doc said) and that has helped with much of my inability to work out. Back pain and headaches lessened.

Shawn
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 10:21
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblong
In being strict I feel that I have so much more freedom

That sums up everything I feel about this challenge.