Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone, Esq.
My mom is a neuroendocrinologist. I used to have her tell me stories of brain chemistry when I was a little girl.

Hmmmm - I guess you weren't encouraged to do much experimentation with heavy drugs, then...

Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:03

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
I also read that even with lifting, that the body seems to adjust within around 5 weeks; and thereafter, Cortisol responses are virtually eliminated.

Jeff (just thinking out loud)

I am hesitant to believe this. But obvioulsy if there is good research that shows it.... I'll be a convert.
Cortisol (corticosteroids) are released by the adrenals in response to to ANY kind of stress. (Stress is any stimulus that activates the pituitary-adrenal axis) This is sooooo easy to do! When you feel nervous, get a promotion at work, sleep (for hours), get startled during a movie, workout with decent intensity.... all these things will produce stress.

The issue is how can we stop the cortisol secretion as soon as possible. Eating right after a workout helps... and not working out too long helps. Relaxing helps.
We can't really avoid cortisol, but we can try to control it.... and we can not train to often and long and encourage it's negative effects.

It can result in: (prolonged stress can result in)
increased susceptibility to disease
increased incidence of cancer
promotes protein breakdown in the muscles (to release amino acids for gluconeogenesis in the liver)
(Human Physiology, S. Fox, 1993)

But... you do not have to be low on glycogen for this to happen. It seems to me that the solution lies in proper rest, diet, mental outlook, training...
Sounds a lot like Rob's book (NHE) ((Which is backordered and STILL don't have it!))

(I have a Biology degree and am working on my masters right now... but I believe the truth is that anyone who can read, write, and problem solve can look up information and figure out what it means... it just might be a little easier when someone has a background in it. But that is why we are here... to let other's help us... it makes life easier... reduces cortisol)
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:22

Progress:

This study does suggest that the more fit a person is... the MORE cortisol will be released during exercise recovery.

Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis response and recovery from high-intensity exercise in women: effects of aging and fitness.

Source:
J Clin Endocrinol Metab (The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism.) 2004 Jul; 89(7): 3248-54
Additional Info: United States

Standard No:
ISSN: 0021-972X; NLM Unique Journal Identifier: 0375362

Language:
English

Abstract:
This study tested the hypotheses that aging is associated with prolonged recovery after a challenge to the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (acute exercise) and that aerobic fitness is associated with a blunting of the age-related loss of negative feedback sensitivity. Young (27 +/- 2.8 yr, n = 9), older (64.6 +/- 1.4 yr, n = 11), and older-fit women (66.3 +/- 2.2 yr, n = 11) underwent a short bout of treadmill exercise at high (but submaximal) intensity. The exercise trial elicited significant increases in heart rate, blood pressure, ACTH, and cortisol (P < 0.001). Although the young and the older women exhibited similar cortisol response to the trial and throughout the recovery period, the older women had a slower decrease of ACTH levels (P < 0.05), suggesting reduced negative feedback sensitivity with aging. Between the two groups of older women, the older-fit group had significantly greater rate of recovery of ACTH levels (P < 0.05) compared with the older unfit women. However, older fit women had greater cortisol production during the recovery period (P < 0.05), suggesting greater adrenal sensitivity to ACTH. These results suggest that aging is associated with changes in the dynamic function of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and that these changes are attenuated by aerobic fitness.

Record Type:
Abridged Index Medicus; Index Medicus

Article Type:
Journal Article

Citation:

Date of Entry:

Accession No:
PMID: 15240599

Database:
MEDLINE
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:24

Progress:

I hate to think that being fit makes a person more likely to have high cortisol levels... but since cortisol helps with energy during exercise... maybe it is an adaptation the body makes as you get more fit.

Sucks for muscle.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:31
Registered Member

BF:

mps, I find looking at hot men reduces my stress levels.

Or does it increase them....?

#96   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
mps, I find looking at hot men reduces my stress levels.

Or does it increase them....?

**spraying hose to cool Built off****
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:36

Progress:

I think a little stress is a wonderful thing.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:41

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%

Maybe it's saying that us "old people" really aren't supposed to be fit.

I don't care I am fighting the aging process all the way!

You also questioned my read about lifting and reduced chance of cortisol, MPS. I also was puzzled by it. Why would lifting make someone less prone to a cortisol response then cardio, when cortisol is a response to depletion of glycogen? The author is seemingly trying to say that the body adapts more readily to non-cardiovascular stress then to cardiovascular stress.

I wish that I knew more about this....the differences between cardiovascular anaerobic states and resistence-training anaerobic states....

Jeff
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:48
Chicken Butt

Plan: My Own/ CKD
Stats: 152/129/115 Female 5'0"
BF:24.5/?/?
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Hmmmm - I guess you weren't encouraged to do much experimentation with heavy drugs, then...

Heh heh...No, drugs are too scary when you know too much about how little we really know about neurotransmitters. In the 60s when Mom was finishing her PhD, they had only identified 15 of them. Now they have identified over 200, and scientists suspect that there are thousands. Now why on earth would I want to play with those odds? Talk about mad science. My mom never said don`t do drugs...she just shrugged and assumed I knew better.

Of course, she never warned me about tattoos.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

As I have posted before, as highlighted by Dogbone (over 200 neurotransmitters), the human body is way too complex a machine to nail down (at least at human level of understanding). What really makes it more confusing (especially for us in the medical field) is that for every one study telling you something, I can find another saying exactly the opposite (if I had the time and inclination which I don't). However general principles do apply. Cortisol is released to help the human body in ANY type of stressful situation, from working out to arguing with your spouse. Without it we would need to continually eat to have energy. Cortisol helps break down macronutrients into usable energy. Therefore, to prevent yourself from catabolizing muscle you should avoid all stressful situations. If you find out how to do this let me know . Is it this simple? Hell no, but anything more is above my level of understanding.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 10:46

Hey jonthepa,

Just finished the second installment of a "Meditation and Stress Reduction" course that I am currently taking. Some recent studies have shown that athlete's who meditate have reduced levels of cortisol during and after events.

I can use all the help I can get....

Jeff
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

sound kinda cool,

it has been long known that a positive outlook and mental clarity is a predictor for a positive outcome in all disease states. The mind is an awfully impressive creation.
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 21:49
Registered Member

BF:

Sex helps too. (Hey - I'm just saying...)

So does sufficient sleep.
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 22:22

Sometimes having great sex and getting sufficient sleep are at odds with each other!

(I'm just saying...)

J.
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 22:29
Chicken Butt

Plan: My Own/ CKD
Stats: 152/129/115 Female 5'0"
BF:24.5/?/?
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
Sometimes having great sex and getting sufficient sleep are at odds with each other!

(I'm just saying...)

J.

I sleep better after having great sex.

Hmmm.....could use a few zzzzzz's this weekend.

I`m just saying.....