Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 07:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 319/250/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 39%

Oh yeah Musicalk I forgot about the water weight pounds. I take my measurements on mybodycomp, so I can see my changes. It just seems so hard for me to lose inches...this is only the 9th day though..so maybe they'll come off later.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 07:36

Stats: 260/175/150 Female 5ft5in.
BF:
Progress: 77%

Congrats Nasira on your weight loss. What a way to move towards your goal.

Music if you feel you may cheat, Aunt Millies makes a low carb bread it may be on your regular bread isle and you haven't noticed it. They just call it light, but it has 4 grams of carbs a slice. If you get some lc jelly and peanut butter or macadamian butter you may eat a sandwich for like 6 or 7 carbs. Keto makes a good jam but its expensive about 5 dollars for a small jar and the nut butter is about the same. Sometimes I crave grill cheese and I will get a slice of low carb bread and fold it or cut in half and grill it. Delicious.

Oh yeah I've had those lc Doritos the cool ranch are the best. Be careful though, those kinds of products I think stalled me and then I gained. Those are better left for lifetime maintenance. I'm not going to lie though the Cool ranch are good. They make cheetos too. Avoid them, they are nasty.

Anybody had the hood low carb chocolate milk. 3 grams. It taste just like the real thing I can't believe its low carb.

I find all of these things in local stores not specialty or health food stores. Low carb is worldwide now!
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 07:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/152/145 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Can i join the talk?

Hello my sistas
I am glad there is a space here. I have been on Atkins since last year, went through induction, lost a lot of weight, and then let up with the strict carb counting. I never did go back to bread, pasta and rice. But there has been so much controversy over this diet I needed any excuse to eat things like FRUIT. Anyway, I wanted to ask you all about cholesterol, we African Americans are a high risk group for heart disease etc. and since starting this diet my husband found that his jumped dangerously high...and it was because of what we were eating. They want to put him on Lipitor. Me I am hanging in with this diet, perhaps with a little less meat, but I am scared to death of having my cholesterol checked. They say you should check with a doctor before any diet...but I didn't. So far I have lost weight on this diet.

any thoughts?
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 08:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 330/235/219 Female 5'3
BF:ugh!
Progress: 86%
Default I know you gonna let me in through this line..

Good morning ladies.. new to the group ... african american with some west indian in the mix..... from BOSTON... I have been looking for a group like this for a while glad to see I finally found yalll ... I started atkins a little over a month ago and lost a little over 20 lbs so far.. go me... but like someone else on here im struggling with losing inches... soooo I hit the gym... looking for a budge in those inches in a week or 2.. anyway let me not ramble just wanted to introduce myself to the sistas.. I can tell I will be around here quite often lol... hope everyones day is going well..
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 08:09

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

Anyca what part of boston are you from, I am from Massachusetts as well, Cape Cod, but I go to school in the city. Nice to see another Bostonian around!
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 08:13

hey miss holly...

i actually live in brockton... and i work (all day--lol) intown at mgh.. what school do you attend
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 08:26

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalk
Nasira - I use the name musicalk because I am a music teacher ( Orchestra) on the middle school level. I really enjoy my job.

Soonslim - Oh no you did not say there are lc doritos. I have avoided the chip aisle because I loved some doritos. On a special treat day, I may get some and share with my son so I don't treat myself to the entire bag.Haha

Stajj - If you are in induction you may lose your water weight quickly (pounds). Have you been keeping your measurements? Its good to have a reference later when you think the scale isn't moving but the inches are.

I am also a music teacher. I teach private flute lessons and I have a flute choir in the making.

Went to the county fair yesterday and ate all the wrong things, including a cream puff . I don't care because I am good 99% of the time. I didn't feel an insulin spike and I am eating "Atkins normal " today. Oh, BTW, got on the scale and I was back down to 136. Of course it was after TOM.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 10:42

Stats: 220/220/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome Anyca & Aidawedo!
It's nice to have you in the sister circle.

I am doing pretty good today. Working hard as always and trying not to freak out as the time seems to be slipping through my fingers as deadlines approache. I am happy that I am working out now - at least I can relieve some of my stress that way. I did my daily walk this morning. It becomes a little easier to do every day. Today I walked for like 45 minute - nothing major, but I am planning to do a full body workout at the gym today (pray for me).

I went food shopping this morning and put 2 magazines in my cart without even thinking. Normally my magazines of choice are Essence and The Vibe (and Honey - I miss that magazine), but today - I put Low Carb Living and Fitness magazines in the cart!!! The checkout girl gave me a double take and I looked at her like - yes, and what?? I don't care! I know I may not look like someone who read Fitness Magazine right now, but I am - and in a few months everyone else recognize too!!

Other than that, I'm chillin.

Aidawedo, I don't know enough about high cholesterol, but I do know that once my Mom started this WOE hers dropped dramatically. I think portion control has to be a factor. I want to learn more about this, so please share... Oh, and my Mom? She's now in lifetime maintenance and wears a size 3-4!!!! She's my motivation for real.

Anyca I think the ladies are right. Getting your workout on will help shed inches - just pick your 'poison' and get going!

Alright, I'm going to go contribute to society. Happy Wednesday y'all.

#99   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 17:20

Plan: My Own Thang....
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default hello ladies.....

ive been a bad girl today. had 2 turkey and cheese crossaint sandwiches and a biscuit from churches. why did i do that? i was doin so good. so u know imma get my workout tonite..ok?

oh yes musicalk... they makes the doritos low carb. kind of a funny texture though. soy and protein.

elizabeth ive been drinkin the carb countdown choc. milk since iv been on this diet. also use the fat free one with the atkin cereal. i must say this woe does put a whole in ur pocket (well mine at least). anyway. these are my confessions. bout to give my baby a bath and put him to sleep sleep. take care ladies!!
jodi

ps still at 195. i knew it would come to an end sometime
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 16:29

BF:
Default Doing good

Another day, another chance to get better. I have been doing good these past few weeks. I have been LCing for 3 weeks - and you know what they say about anything you do for 3 weeks - it becomes habit. I am certainly hoping so! I was tired this morning, but got up and had a good walk. I have to say, as much as the early rise can hurt, it sure beats trying to fit in a workout later in the day. That's the truth! I was so busy today I had a bowl of Morning Start Almond Crisp cereal with Hood LC milk. I had my 64 oz but I didn't get a chance to eat anything again until 6 pm. Anyway, I just killed some fried chicken (fried in oil - no flour etc.) and I am in search of a salad so I can be complete. Still at the office...so much to do...

Tomorrow is weigh in day. I was soooo tempted to step on that scale this morning, but I refrained. How is everyone else doing out there?
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 17:06

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

ANyca I am at Harvard Law, I love the city but you couldnt pay me enough to have to commute everyday in that mad house of traffic, and your in the worst part of it, right at mass ave exit yuck, I dont envy you honey!
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 07:45

Default Hey Ladies

GOOD MORNING LADIES... HOW IS EVERYONE.. I SAW THIS BOARD WAS A LITTLE QUIET SOOO I WANTED TO SAY WASUP WASUP.. ITS FRIIDAYYYY (THANK YOU LORD) I WAS CURIOUS IF ANYONE HAD ANY SOUL FOOD OR CARIBBEAN LOW CARB DISH RECIPES.. I WOULD LIKE TO CHECK SOME OUT.. I ALSO TRIED THE DORITOS.. AND THEY ARE .. EHHH... OK FOR SOMETHIN CRUNCHY.. BUT IF I WASN'T DOING THIS I WOULD THINK IT TASTES KINDA STALE .. I HAD MY SISTER TRY THEM AND SHE HATED THEM... ANYWHO... JUS PUTTIN IN MY 2 CENTS..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyAyott
ANyca I am at Harvard Law, I love the city but you couldnt pay me enough to have to commute everyday in that mad house of traffic, and your in the worst part of it, right at mass ave exit yuck, I dont envy you honey!

lol holly... and can u imagine what the dnc is going to be like... i can nott waiiit
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 09:04

Plan: My Own
Stats: 190/190/165 Female 62
BF:TOO MUCH

Hello ladies and Happy Friday!!!

I hope everyone is doing well today!! I am I just had my breakfast and am feeling a lot better. For dinner last night all I could eat was toast (morning, afternoon and evening sickness). So I was just able to consume something but I'm still hungry though!! Go figure. I feel like a glut!!

Anyways. I hope everyone is doing very very very well today and you are setting yourself up for a wonderful weekend!!
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 22:02

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidawedo
Hello my sistas
I am glad there is a space here. I have been on Atkins since last year, went through induction, lost a lot of weight, and then let up with the strict carb counting. I never did go back to bread, pasta and rice. But there has been so much controversy over this diet I needed any excuse to eat things like FRUIT. Anyway, I wanted to ask you all about cholesterol, we African Americans are a high risk group for heart disease etc. and since starting this diet my husband found that his jumped dangerously high...and it was because of what we were eating. They want to put him on Lipitor. Me I am hanging in with this diet, perhaps with a little less meat, but I am scared to death of having my cholesterol checked. They say you should check with a doctor before any diet...but I didn't. So far I have lost weight on this diet.

any thoughts?

My total cholesterol is 169. My triglycerides are 59 and my glucose is 98. I had a complete blood test in December and I think my results were exemplary. I have not shyed away from any good fats including saturated.( Sorry, I cleaned my desk and can't find any of my information papers but some people are alergic to lipoblahblahblah acids and a symptom of this allergy is spiked cholesterol ). Also some lcers have experienced a spike in cholesterol for a short time and then it comes down. May I recommend the book Protein Power by Drs Mary and Michael Eades and read about glucagon. This hormone instructs the liver to reduce the production of cholesterol. Foods known for their cholesterol content such as eggs do not cause cholesterol build up. Liver causes cholesterol build up. Glucagon enhances lipolysis ( ketosis ) and it helps to relax arteries and vessels which lowers blood pressure. One should conclude that when glucagon is activated then cholesterol should be lowered. Fat is burned, weight is lost. This would also lower high blood pressure. Glucagon and insulin are produced by the pancreas. If insulin is not stable glucagon is not produced. To help the pancreas to produce glucagon we most help it to stabilize insulin. To stabilize insulin we must eat a diet that is low in carbohydrates and high in protein. When carbohydrates are restricted then insulin is stable and all is well with the world. Dietary fats and cholesterol are dangerous when only when too many carbohydrates are involved. This is why diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity walk hand in hand. What affects insulin will affect everything else.

This diet receives much controversey and it is mostly all unwarranted. Like anything it is important to be balanced but the answer is not to reduce protein. However I strongly urge variety so that you don't become bored with
anything. A variety of meats and a good variety of veggies, lc fruit, will make us healthy and it will make us strong.

JMO,
Black57
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 07:23

BF:
Default No appetite

Hello Everybody,

Hey Black57, thank you for sharing all of that information. I found it very interesting. I realize the more I learn about this WOE, the more I equipped I am to resist certain things and understand why I may be feeling a certain way during the day, month etc. - Thanks

As for me, this is my 26th day cheat free - I need to get one of those banner thingys. I feel good. I got some keto sticks and I am in ketosis. I am at the medium level - but my breath ain't stinky yet. (I'm kinda sad about that part) LOL

I find that my appetite is virtually non-existent and I am afriand that I will sabotage myself by not eating. It doesn't help that I am incredibly busy in my work life right now either. I am up for tenure and currently preparing my tenure document. It is such a stressful process, the last thing I want to do is tear myself away from the computer to eat. I do bring food with me to the office - so that helps - but yesterday I was bad. I ate some Morning start cereal for breakfast, I had a triple classic burger from Wendy's w/ no bun and a diet coke. Oh yeah, I ordered a salad instead of fries, but I was so durn busy - I never got around to eating it. I did get my water in, and late at night another small bowl of cereal. Oh well today is a new day.

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!
Closed Thread