Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 11:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you citing an advertisement as proof?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

our soil has half the magnesium it had 100 years ago and 100 years ago people still werent consuming alot of magnesium. since we have been consuming large amounts of wild plants which contain huge amounts of magnesium. thats why we cant store magnesium very easily because it was so abundant in our diets...
people who have the magnesium live the longest.
the only way to get enough magnesium is to supplement.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 13:23
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

IA about magnesium. Keeps me regular like clockwork! It's THE most important supplement for me since starting low carb.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 18:46
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Okay, but why shouldn't a peacock want to look like a peacock? Why shouldn't we want to look more the way we were designed to look? The way people eating more natural diets all their lives look? The vanity you describe is indeed a disorder, or a sickness, or a vice. I agree that we shouldn't pin our self-worth on looks. But you can turn it around and say that you are worth working on, even physically. That you're worth the time in the gym. That your worth dressing up in nice clothes, worth the nice haircut, etc. Anyone watch The Biggest Loser? See the dejected looks going in? See the positive changes mentally by the end of the season? See the young guy (was his name Danny?) strutting around toward's the season's end? He got downright arrogant. Some people aren't arrogant enough. Some people have trouble raising their eyes when they order a coffee. (I'd put myself solidly within this group of people.) I admire bodybuilders who can put on a pair of speedos, grease themselves up and stand on a stage in front of a bunch of judges. Good for them.
If you tend your garden, and your tomatoes or roses come up nicely, you have every right to be happy. I see bodybuilding, and physical culture in general, in the same light. There's lots of jerks with washboard abs, but there's lots of jerky gardeners out there, too. And lots of people whose sense of self-worth depends on the nice house with the nicely manicured garden and beautiful garden and the nice car in the driveway. But who writes articles about how Home and Garden is giving people unrealistic ideas about what their home should look like, giving people gardening disorders?

I love it when the devils-advocate is done SO WELL! Gardening disorders! That's hilarious.

I think I may have one of those. My deep bed is now 32" tall cinderblock but doctor, it just seems like even deeper roots would be better tomatoes. And I have a LOT of garden space and currently am shoveling a dumptruck of potting soil into containers in my backyard for yet-more, yet still it seems like I just don't have enough plants! And when nobody is looking, I talk to my plants as well as nature devas. And I artificially pretend that the garden is great when in fact the plants are alive but everything else like the brickwork and weeds all around is a disaster. And I hide this by only taking pictures of the beds. And I fail to mention to most people that weighing like 400# and doing gardening is a royal pain in the ass especially when it's HOT outside and I have enough thermal layers to be a gray whale and mosquitos come from miles around to dive bomb me before all other humans like I am filet-mignon-truffle in their world and I wear a funky vietnam vet coolie hat with net to ward them off, at which point, doctor, combined with the size of my butt, I just look really un-hip. (Or over-hip, depending on how you look at it.) I read gardening magazines and I secretly drool over the small waterfalls and microclimate rain gardens. I often feel insecure about how imperfect my landscaping is and uncomfortable that I don't have enough money for an appropriate 4-manifold timed drip-irrigation system like the people in the magazines. In short... I have a gardening disorder.

I'm actually all for people "wallowing in the glory of their beauty" -- whether that comes in physical form or talent or skill or just exceptional human decency. I think that "artistic appreciation" and "pleasure at self accomplishment" in the physical areas are often taken as "vanity" and "pride" in the negative sense. It is like the difference between being very confident and being arrogant though. They are not equivalent.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
My deep bed is now 32" tall cinderblock
Hey! I do the same thing, I have three now and I'm starting on the fourth. I buy four cinderblocks at a time and build them up as my compost and such fill it. The first two did really well last year and the third one will probably be too hot, but will grow pumklins anyway.

I used to use wood, but got tired of replacing it. People think I'm crazy...
  #96   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 20:18

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Woo hoo - somebody told me today they thought I was 32. I'll take it! (I'm 42.) My son said, "oh mom - they were just lying - you look wayyy older than that." Sweet kid.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 21:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I'm actually all for people "wallowing in the glory of their beauty" -- whether that comes in physical form or talent or skill or just exceptional human decency. I think that "artistic appreciation" and "pleasure at self accomplishment" in the physical areas are often taken as "vanity" and "pride" in the negative sense. It is like the difference between being very confident and being arrogant though. They are not equivalent.

Rightnow--can I just take back everything else I've said in this thread and just say that? I like to think it's what I was groping towards.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 04:37

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
our soil has half the magnesium it had 100 years ago

Where did you get this from?

Magnesium is a standard soil test mineral for crops, etc and is commonly added if required (and can be considered too high).

One reason that I have heard that justifies the supplement of magnesium is when you have too much dairy and throw your calcium:magnesium:zinc ratio out of whack (for bone building). Eating paleo should negate the need for supplementing magnesium.

The only other reason I can think that you would need to supplement magnesium is if your diet includes added salt.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 06:37
Registered Member

BF:

its been known for awhile now our soil is depleted.

we have an epidemic of magnesium deficiencies, due to soil and lack of people eating dark green veggies. also to much dairy as you stated.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 06:56
Registered Member

BF:

It's also been "known for awhile now" that we should eat more carbs and less fat.

My soil is not depleted, I wouldn't know about yours. I have learned to take what governments and different health industries (especially "natural" health industries) say with a large dose of skepticism.

Some might call that "thinking too much"...
  #101   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

its only depleted if your getting your produce at the store...
having your own garden is definitely the way to go.

Last edited by blackjack : Sat, May-17-08 at 07:43.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 07:59

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanizaki
Being fat ages most people.

I had the oposite effect when I lost 50 pounds back in 1988. I kept getting asked if I was ill. (geesh, and I was only at 143..and happy). But my mom said I now looked "old" I'd been heavyset all my life, since adnoids and tonsils coming out at 5 years old, and then the weight gain started.

I guess without all the extra padding, to them, I did look old. People, no pleasing them (even if I only do it to please me. lol. They will get over it)
  #103   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 07:59

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

Well I don't know where you are getting your facts blackjack (please post pertinent info so we can all learn from it), as most sources say that magnesium deficiency is rare:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...icle/002423.htm
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?r...d=5776&page=196

(I googled dietary magnesium and read the gov and edu sources)

Magnesium is found in a huge variety of foods and about 30% of the average persons magnesium intake is from milk, meat and eggs. A diet low in refined foods should adequately cover any magnesium requirements. It is also interesting to note that a diet low in magnesium will also increase absorption rates of available magnesium.

Early signs of magnesium deficiency include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness. As magnesium deficiency worsens, numbness, tingling, muscle contractions and cramps, seizures, personality changes, abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms can occur

I think you would know if you were deficient...

...oh and

"Too much magnesium can cause serious health problems including nausea, vomiting, severely lowered blood pressure, slowed heart rate, deficiencies of other minerals, confusion, coma, and even death. More common side effects from magnesium include upset stomach and diarrhea.

Magnesium competes with calcium for absorption and can cause a calcium deficiency if calcium intake levels are already low." here
  #104   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 08:38
Registered Member

BF:

Tarlach seriously PLEASE....

http://web.mit.edu/london/www/magnesium.html
"Magnesium deficiency is very common in the general US population."

http://www.drlam.com/a3r_brief_in_d...ficiencyProblem

Quote:
Magnesium is perhaps the most under-appreciated mineral in our lives. Over 75% of Americans are deficient,

"Low Dietary Magnesium Levels from the North American Diet: In countries where a refined diet is the norm, such as North America, there is a universal deficiency in magnesium intake from the diet."

http://homodiet.netfirms.com/otherssay/magnesium.htm

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-magnesium.aspx

http://www.magnesiumforlife.com/mag...eficiency.shtml
"the latest government study shows a staggering 68% of Americans do not consume the recommended daily intake of magnesium. Even more frightening are data from this study showing that 19% of Americans do not consume even half of the government’s recommended daily intake of magnesium.[ii] "

"It’s not a secret our soils have been depleted of essential, trace and rare minerals so vital to health and life. Sixty years ago in 1936 the United States Department of Agriculture issued U.S. Senate Document 264, stating "that virtually all soils in the United States were mineral deficient. Scientists at the 1992 Earth Summit in Brazil submitted documentation that soils world-wide were depleted of minerals. The United States soils rated as one of the most serious with 85% of essential minerals depleted."

http://www.worldwidehealthcenter.net/articles-360.html
"The food supply has been steadily becoming magnesium-poor since 1909:[ii]

1909 intake
408 mg/day

1949 intake
368 mg/day

1980 intake
349 mg/day

1985 intake
323 mg/day (men)

1985 intake
228 mg/day (women)"

meat, milk and eggs are POOR SOURCES Of magnesium!!! well you could do it , but you need need 100 eggs a day or 4lbs of meat.

HAHA overdosing on magnesium is HIGHLY UNLIKLEY lol..

Last edited by blackjack : Sat, May-17-08 at 08:59.
  #105   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:

I guess that shows the difference between .edu sources and .com sources.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.