Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 01:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

What a tough question. On the one hand, if she's overweight, then she is likely to have some insight into both the reasons that people might be overweight and the difficulties encountered in losing. Messages about losing weight from the naturally thin, or quitting smoking from those who have never smoked, or abstinence, from those who have never had a tipple, are not very credible or useful.

And does someone need to be able to practice what they preach to be credible? I tell kids not to smoke at every opportunity - because I smoke and can't quit. I think I'm a pretty credible source about not smoking, precisely because of my experiences with trying to quit.

On the other hand, an addict who successfully quit could also give good guidance.

By the by, I have little respect for the unsupported argument that people overeat because of an "overstimulatory environment and uncontrolled food production."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidC
What a tough question. On the one hand, if she's overweight, then she is likely to have some insight into both the reasons that people might be overweight and the difficulties encountered in losing. Messages about losing weight from the naturally thin, or quitting smoking from those who have never smoked, or abstinence, from those who have never had a tipple, are not very credible or useful.

Love you Sid!! and I totally agree with the credibility, of lack there of, of those who have never had a weight problem, telling others how to lose weight! Pullllease!! I want to tell them "get over yourself!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid
And does someone need to be able to practice what they preach to be credible? I tell kids not to smoke at every opportunity - because I smoke and can't quit. I think I'm a pretty credible source about not smoking, precisely because of my experiences with trying to quit.

Yes! Good one.....I'm trying ot cut back big time and I'm actually making headway. You have tons of credibility to me!
But I don't know if the good doctor has ever addressed her weight issue ....but then again, if she were a male with a weight issue, we wouldn't be having this conversaton, now would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid
On the other hand, an addict who successfully quit could also give good guidance.

By the by, I have little respect for the unsupported argument that people overeat because of an "overstimulatory environment and uncontrolled food production."
I agree here.....
I think that for many people who overeat, it is a very unconscious act. It was for me for a very long time. I really did not want to have to face it and deal with it....so I kept myself in total denial about it....and stuffed myself for a very long time. And all of a sudden, I was 287 lbs as I hit 40 yrs old.

It is hard to face a demon like this...one that we have to come face to face with 3 times a day. Would I want a person who has not conquered their demon to advise me on how to conquer mine? Nope! Sorry but this is true for me. But the good doctor can name a person who is a successful loser and maintainer to spread this message.
Maybe Dr Barbara would be a good choice? She even supports a Paleo way of eating. only if she begins to see that her views may be needing some modifications.

Last edited by Judynyc : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 09:09.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 04:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
January 30, 2010

Shields Up! The Hunger Advantage

By Barbara Berkeley

What if you could cloak yourself in a defensive shield that warded off disease and extended your life? Would you do it? Would you take a pill that could do it for you? Many of us are already trying to, by swallowing tablets of antioxidants and resveratrol, swigging acai and pomegranate juice and downing loads of vitamins of uncertain benefit. But a growing body of research suggests that the solution may be as seamless and elegant as nature itself. It’s possible that we can activate just such a defensive shield this very moment...simply by eating less.

As readers of this site know, I am especially interested in the role of food choice in life extension. I am also deeply convinced that the hormone insulin is the central “superhormone” which mediates fat storage, obesity, inflammation and longevity. Whenever you read any research about overweight and its related conditions, you will find the fingerprints of insulin all over it. I also believe that a broken or poorly functioning insulin system is the reason that the vast majority of us develop modern disease. We don’t need to have diabetes or even elevated blood sugar to have a struggling insulin system. Defects in insulin signaling can be going on for years before we can detect them. This doesn’t mean that our bodies are not suffering.

Now, in a paper that is due to be published in Nature, German scientists have shown that we have a second defensive system which acts independently of our classic immune system. When we go without food for awhile, this system switches on. Surprise, surprise…the hormone which is responsible for flipping the switch is insulin. Once the system is activated, cells produce proteins which are capable of destroying harmful microbes and defending us against invasion from the outside. According to the the study director, “This happens every minute every day. What is fascinating about this is that a function of the immune system directly depends on how much and what we eat.” In other words, slightly stress your cells by making them hungry and your shields will go up.

This, and other research studies, provides a great deal of non-caloric food for thought. We know that obesity and the diseases it spawns lead to increased inflammation in the body and can result in reduced life span. We also know that uncontrolled inflammation is bad. Might it be that the habit of affluent societies to eat continually results in a chronically lowered defense system? If more invaders are able to penetrate our outer barrier, we would likely respond with aggressive inner defenses, in other words: inflammation!

One of the strategies for weight maintenance that I suggest in my book and that I continue to suggest to patients is that we spend parts of each day in the non-eating state. This allows insulin levels to fall. We now know that these lower levels can active the FOXO transcription factor; the messaging system which turns on defense genes.

So put up those shields and rethink that grazing habit. As those of us who are maintaining weight know, the body does best on small amounts of highly nutritious foods. Our miraculous physical plant is finely tuned and we may be best off if we stop trying to second guess it with pills, potions and manipulations. More and more, we are coming to know that a return to simple basics and a realignment with our genetic priorities is the only way to put nature to work for us.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...-advantage.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 00:17

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Love you Sid!! Yes! Good one.....I'm trying ot cut back big time and I'm actually making headway. You have tons of credibility to me!

I agree here.....
I think that for many people who overeat, it is a very unconscious act. It was for me for a very long time. I really did not want to have to face it and deal with it....so I kept myself in total denial about it....and stuffed myself for a very long time. And all of a sudden, I was 287 lbs as I hit 40 yrs old.

As far as weight lost, I probably don't have whole lot of credibility ... I was never more than a little overweight and not for very long and that was after I had spent a lot of time trying to gain weight .... it finally took!!. I spent a lot of years grossly underweight -- which was still a severe weight problem, but a severely misunderstood one and one with NO sympathy!

However, my point in this thread is about giving up tobacco ... I really hope you'll both keep trying! I smoked for 45+ years, started when I was 16 and didn't manage to quit until I was in my 60's. That's NOT a healthy record. I used to tell people that quitting was easy - staying quit was a whole 'nother story!

Best wishes to both of you, hugs and positive vibes ... Glenda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-10, 03:20

BF:

Quote:
February 7, 2010

Wanted: Outlaw Foods

By Lynn Haraldson-Bering

I recently asked my Lynn’s Weigh readers on Facebook this question: When you make a day trip, do you figure you’ll find food along the way or do you pack your own?

Most responded that they do. One person said she doesn’t want any food to be “bad” food and so eats what’s available in smaller portions.

I wanted to pose the same question to maintainers and to ask how have your food choices changed, if at all, since you started losing weight?

My food choices continue to evolve. Five years ago when I joined Weight Watchers, there were only a few outlaw foods on my list (i.e. baked Doritos and Teddy Grahams), namely because if I had one bite, I’d want 50 more.

Moving along in my weight journey, more foods were added to my outlaw list, and not always because I feared lack of self control. Some foods I lost a taste for and some were outlawed because they weren’t very healthy. I started paying close attention to what was in certain foods and slowly moved down the path of “real” food – those with only few ingredients.

I also began eating out less frequently, mostly because I live in a very small town and find that most local restaurant fare is either salted, sauced or boiled to death. Sometimes all three. There are a few restaurants I can count on for real greens in their salads, but I’ve yet to find a place that offers any vegetarian fare that doesn’t involve pasta or copious amounts of cheese.

Usually when I travel by car, I don’t count on there being a sufficient choice of non-outlaw foods along the way, so I pack a cooler of salad fixings, fresh fruit and other Lynn Approved foods.

Another part to this metamorphosis is that the older I get, the more sensitive I am to certain foods. I love Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower, but they aren’t as easy to digest as they used to be. I don’t have the abs of a 20-year-old and apparently I don’t have the gut of one, either! They aren’t on my outlaw food list, but I’ve added Culturelle to my diet to help out.

What I love about this topic of how, in maintenance, we choose to eat is that our answers really shine a light on how individual we are in what works for us. While I completely respect my reader’s view that for her no food is “bad” food, I’d be willing to bet that if I asked the same question a year from now that at least a few of you might have different answers than the ones you give today.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...tlaw-foods.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 06:25

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

What I love about this topic of how, in maintenance, we choose to eat is that our answers really shine a light on how individual we are in what works for us. While I completely respect my reader’s view that for her no food is “bad” food, I’d be willing to bet that if I asked the same question a year from now that at least a few of you might have different answers than the ones you give today.

Quoted from above.
This is so true. As I travel along this path I find that there were foods that I could eat a year ago, that I just don't tolerate anymore due to sodium content/flavor etc. Maintenance means evolving.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-11, 15:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Thanks, Demi-
excellent post.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 12:04

Plan: My own
Stats: 165/144/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

What a great thread. I was within 5 lbs of goal a couple of years ago, but had no idea how to maintain. Carb creep got me! So, back up another 15 lbs (at least I didn't gain it ALL back) and back at it again. Started with 20 to lose and have already gone down 5. I know as I get closer to goal it is going to be harder and the loss is going to slow (motivation too!). Will keep going back to this thread for motivation and tips. For me, the losing part is relatively (sorta) easy (thank goodness), it's the maintenance (or 'persistence' as some say) that's tough. Thanks for the great information and ideas.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: general l/c
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 64 inches
BF:36%/34%/22%
Progress: 43%

I am looking forward to reaching goal for a second time so that I can become a proud member of the refuse to regain club.

I maintained (while trying to lose just 5 more pounds past goal) for over two years, then while on vacation threw it all away. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get back on the wagon.

I don't know why it took me 2 and half years of gradually regaining to decide that it was time to stop, but here I am, needing to lose just over 20 pounds.

I know that low carbing will allow me to reach goal, I am confident that with commitment I can maintain not for 2 years, but forever.

I don't want to ever have another 2 years of not appearing in family photos.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 11:24

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
For whatever reason, I just couldn't get back on the wagon.
Yes, most of us have been there.

On the opposite side of that coin, many of us have experienced a kind of "magic moment" when we know we CAN do it. And we do. If I could figure how to bottle that "moment" I'd make a fortune. At least I would always know what to do for myself when the Carb Creep starts lurking.

Best wishes
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 06:07
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I had been maintaining my weight loss just above my goal (143 lbs) for over a year when I got sloppy. The battery on my scale died and I didn't replace it. Several months passed and I started to notice my clothes getting tight. Got that battery, and found, lo and behold, that I had gained 13 lbs! I weighed 154! It happened so fast!

I have returned now to 144 lbs, and am committed to being a Refuse-to-Regainer. I'm truly dedicating myself for the first time to a maintenance plan that I can live with from here on out.

I've never really counted carbs before. I just kept them so low that I didn't have to. Now that I want to have a more balanced approach, with a judicious amount of carbs in my diet, I find that I'm needing to meticulously count and log the carbs for a while to see what amount and type will allow me to slowly lose a few more pounds and then keep me level.

This is way more work and focus than losing weight with a strict protocol ever was! I'm finding that my learning curve is great! But I'm up for it now and will give it all the effort it takes.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 04:41

BF:

Quote:
February 08, 2011

How to Eat After Weight Loss

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Being on a weight loss diet can be annoying. It's tough to have rules to follow, frustrating to face restrictions,and maddening to cheat when you promised yourself that you wouldn't. But as annoying as that diet can be, it can also provide an underlying sense of relief. Once you hit your stride, you are following a plan. The anxieties caused by an overwhelming number of food choices are tamped down. You've got a roadmap to follow.

In my medical practice, we offer the option of beginning weight loss with two weeks on a diet of pre-made liquids and bars. Although we don't push for this choice, most people elect it. They tell us that they have a feeling of freedom when they don't have to make any food decisions at all. They also enjoy a sense of putting distance between themselves and the way they used to eat. They like having a plan, even a very restrictive one.

Studies show that weight loss is achievable on virtually any diet, as long as that diet is followed very consistently. This conclusion might lead you to believe that all diets are equal. But there is an important piece of information missing. What allows consistency to happen? Is it possible that some people can't follow a given diet because it does not fit them properly? We know that this is true. For example, people who are pre-diabetic or insulin resistant may find the Atkins diet easy to follow because it takes insulin out of the picture. Smaller people with normal insulin, on the other hand, might find it very difficult to adhere to a diet that is so low in carbohydrate.

Each of these points, the importance of having a roadmap and the importance of that map fitting your personal needs, has major implications for your success…not only during weight loss but after weight loss as well. Once you enter maintenance, experience has shown that you are headed for failure if you don't have a well thought-out plan and if that plan doesn't match up with your needs.

Most people don't like to think of themselves as continuing "on a diet" after they finish losing weight. (And by the way, no one ever thinks they are finished losing or is ever completely happy with the weight they've achieved. So let's just say we are talking about a plan you need once your body has given up whatever weight it is able to get rid of at this particular time). Since in America we use the word “diet” to mean weight loss, we have to give the post weight-loss plan another kind of name. Let's call it a personal Food Constitution.

Unlike diet books, Food Constitution books are not to be found 50 deep in your local Barnes and Noble. No one cares much about publishing something about how to construct this most important of documents. (Refuse to Regain is one exception. You might also look at the Thin for Life books for ideas) As I was told by my book agent, publishers are only interested in books that solve problems. Once weight is lost, she said, most people think they don't have a problem any more. At first, I didn't believe her. But now I do. We still have alot of work to do in order to convince people that the heavy lifting begins with the end of dieting.

So, you will have to be your own Thomas Jefferson figuring out the self-imposed rules and safeguards that keep your personal union strong. Like the framers, you should seek to produce a plan that can work for many years, albeit with a few amendments. And the plan should make you proud.

So how to begin? Here are my suggestions, but remember, each plan will be different and personal to your needs:

1. Start with Your Endpoints

What do you want to preserve and protect? It may be weight. But it also may be a new, lower Hemoglobin A1c, a life without blood pressure medicine, a commitment to supporting local agriculture, or a desire to be more organic. Your constitution is not just a way of eating, it's a way of being which will reflect who you are for some time to come. When you defend this plan to others, you want to be proud of what it says about you.

2. Look to the Diet That Created Your Weight Loss

In general, the diet that got you to the dance is the one that, with some tweaks, will work to maintain your loss. This is not to say that you can't go a completely different way in maintenance, but this is an easy and reasonable starting point. Spend several months expanding your weight loss diet slightly and gradually. Be extremely careful about carbohydrates. I'm not going to reiterate my personal biases in detail, but suffice if to say that carbs create insulin which creates fat and many carbs tend to trigger addictive food responses.

Create default menus, meals which you know you like, which don't cause weight gain and which you can make easily. While working on these basic menus, consider food timing as well. Are you someone who needs frequent snacks to get through the day? Slot them in. I personally recommend creating some food-free periods each day that last at least 2-3 hours. This allows the body to use some of the food you've stored. If you decide to do this, figure out when these periods fit best for you.

If you don’t like your weight loss diet or feel it is unhealthy to continue, see the next suggestion.

3. Start Spare

If you are starting from scratch, start basic. In the beginning, eat mostly vegetables, low fat animal proteins (lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs and low fat dairy), fruits and nuts. Make the vegetable part bigger than the animal and fruit part. Practice eating this way and see if you can get comfortable right there. If not, experiment with some add-ons. Be very careful with adding back if you are someone who had any of the markers of insulin resistance. These include: weight mostly in the belly, high blood pressure, borderline or high blood sugar, high triglycerides, low good cholesterol. People who are insulin resistant should really, truly stay away from starches and sugars lest their problem swiftly recur. Similarly, if you are someone who has had an inflammatory condition (like rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel or multiple sclerosis for example), I would think twice about the re-introduction of grains. If you do decide to broaden your diet, start with beans, lentils and other legumes. Try a sweet potato here and there. See if the scale stays stable. It’s hard for me to give you direction on grains as I am not a fan, but if you go that route, watch the scale closely and look for any inflammatory issues like excema, joint aches, etc. There are certainly those who can tolerate grains, but I’m not convinced that people who have been overweight in the past are among them. If you are doing fine and staying weight stable, then grains would seem to work for you.

4. Consider the Use of Calorie Labeled Foods and Meal Replacements

While I advocate a maintenance diet that avoids most processed foods, there are still benefits to using pre-labeled foods in your daily plan. Many people take one meal out and replace it with a yogurt, nutrition bar, or liquid supplement. These foods allow for complete control of calories and knocking one meal out makes life a lot easier.

5. Find Your NTTs

Non Triggering Treats are foods that are sweet, savory or even a bit salty that feel like fun but don’t throw you under the bus. A regular ice cream bar might send you off on a binge, but a Weight Watcher’s ice cream sandwich might not. You might concoct your own NTT (one of my patients loves smooshing frozen blueberries in low fat creamer and splenda) and discover that it does the trick when you simply have to eat something during American Idol. Every long term eating plan needs some NTTs. Work on a list.

The most important tip I can give you for how to eat after weight loss is this one: Do it With Conviction!. Successful maintainers have, for the most part, undergone what I call a Food Conversion. They believe something different about how to eat than they did before and the change is pretty radical. The period directly following weight loss is critical, because new maintainers do not have this sense of belief just yet. It’s something that comes as you learn to enjoy your new diet and see its benefits: sort of like an arranged marriage that blossoms into love. So don’t go running back to your old lover---the standard American diet---just yet. Give the new one a chance. He or she may look a little geeky right now, but there’s a powerful magic lying beneath that unassuming exterior. Don’t you want to find out what it is?
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...eight-loss.html
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 06:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Wow. This is incredibly powerful for me today. I'm glad I clicked in. Thank you. I'll bookmark the blog immediately.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 11:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
To be transformed in your relationship to food and health, you must deeply believe that eating and living in a particular way are central to who you are. That is quite different from understanding intellectually that eating well is good for you.

Quote:
Those who have undergone transformation still see their flaws. They may not like them (see Lynn’s piece on The Green House), but they are looking and they are connected.

Transformation is about wanting to take care of yourself in a deep and permanent way. It’s impossible to care for something that remains shrouded from view. So start looking.

I find both of these points to be so true.

Thank you for posting these!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 04:07

BF:

Quote:
March 24, 2011

You Are Not Alone. You Only Think You Are.

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation.

Transformative Principle #3: Find Others Who Are Transforming

Many of my maintenance patients seem to relate to the following analogy:

Everyone you know is having a great time swimming in the ocean. The only problem is that the ocean is terribly polluted. Large blobs of chocalatey brown oil are bobbing all over the surface. People are swimming through them, swallowing bits and inhaling the fumes, yet they claim they are enjoying themselves. You see this going on and become increasingly concerned about the danger. Suddenly, you see a beautiful island. Exhausted from the drag of the oily sea, you pull yourself up onto the shore. Like a pelican in the Gulf, you are coated in oil. You set to work on the laborious task of cleaning it all off. Finally, spent but relieved, you turn to look at the beautiful place where you've found rescue. There's only one problem: you are all alone on the island.

Almost everyone who tries to accomplish transformation feels like the odd-man out. Eating mindlessly while complaining about health and weight is a cultural norm. We are social beings and living life in another permutation ostracizes us to some degree. It becomes increasingly difficult to avoid the pressure to return to the fold.

Successful transformation is infinitely easier if your island is populated. Thanks to the internet, this is alot easier to do now. After losing over 100 pounds, Lynn began a chat room relationship with a group of women who call themselves "The Maintaining Divas". Years into the process, they remain close and even travel to reunions so they can talk face to face. The internet is already helping you. You are reading this blog and no doubt you subscribe to others as well. Don't be afraid to explore personal connection with other maintainers through blogging, facebook or chats. It is vital.

One of the best pillars for transformation is to have another like-minded person in your household. Generally, this is a spouse or significant other. This seems to work even if the other person's agenda isn't an exact match. In other words, a vegetarian and a primarian might have some issues about which foods to keep in the house, but they will both be working on making health transformation. Many people who are transforming report the "Tag-Along" phenomenon, which is the tendency for signficiant others to start eating and behaving as they do once such behavior is established. No coaxing or entreaties needed. Simply continue your journey and others will often fall in with you.

I also want to encourage you to consider a valuable and completely underutilized idea for connecting: the maintenance group. The members of our Cleveland RTR group have repeatedly said that they really value the opportunity to share thoughts with other people who are in the same boat (or on the same island!). We meet monthly, but a number of people have said they wish it could be more frequently. Lynn and I have discussed the idea of helping interested readers start groups in their areas and you will be seeing a more concerted effort to get this going in the coming months. But the opportunity to form a group right now is open to all of you. Just put a free ad in your local paper or start asking around. Once you have a few people, you can begin meeting. Word of mouth will help you expand.

A study that was published about a year ago in the New England Journal of Medicine concluded that obesity is "catching". A person is increasingly likely to be obese if their friends are obese. Same goes for family members. We are all influenced by social persuasion and cultural norms. Since you are creating your own alternative universe, your next job is to populate that world with a goodly number of like-mineded people. You will find that your island looks even more beautiful when it is inhabited.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...nk-you-are.html