Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 23:57
Registered Member

Plan: just low bad carbs
Stats: 180/168/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%

how long till one begins seeing the benefits when used internally?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 01:34

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Jenn you probably did buy the right stuff. I avoid microwaving things when I can, and for now, ours is broken so we don't have one. Here's what you do. Run some really hot water in a sauce pan and set the jar in the water. The oil will liquefy and you can pour or spoon it into your drink, or however you're using it.
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 06:48

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyNew
how long till one begins seeing the benefits when used internally?

While there are some who sing the praises of taking coconut oil regularly, there are also many people that it caused to gain weight. I am one of those people. I use coconut oil when oil is required in cooking but that's it. When I added it to my coffee daily, it did nothing for me at all except make my coffee oily, no appetite suppresent, and weight gain. I just wanted to offer the other side of CO.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 07:23

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 175/161/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

thanks ann. i scooped some out and put it in my coffee and couldn't even tell it was in there. is there any CO that does taste like coconut? i love the taste of it.
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 10:35

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennhahn
thanks ann. i scooped some out and put it in my coffee and couldn't even tell it was in there. is there any CO that does taste like coconut? i love the taste of it.

Funny that you want the taste and to me I gag from even just the smell.To answer your question,just buy the extra virgin unrefined.Like the extra virgin olive oil is wanted for it having the strongest taste so it goes with coconut oils.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: just low bad carbs
Stats: 180/168/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 27%

Yes, I bought Nutriva brand at Vitamin cottage and it's extra virgin organic and it's got a strong coconut smell and taste.

I will report in a few days if there is benefit I see. I am the same weight as yesterday but I think the 3 pounds I lost in the last 4 days is fine. losing a pound every day can't be good for you! (but boy would it be nice! )
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 10:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyNew
Yes, I bought Nutriva brand at Vitamin cottage and it's extra virgin organic and it's got a strong coconut smell and taste.

I will report in a few days if there is benefit I see. I am the same weight as yesterday but I think the 3 pounds I lost in the last 4 days is fine. losing a pound every day can't be good for you! (but boy would it be nice! )

Ginny, allow more than a few days. Too often people expect to see instant results in weight loss then conclude that it is useless if nothing seems to happen. CO is not Alli, it is a food. Give it time to work.Also, it takes a lot of time just to work up to the 3 tablespoons / day. One thing that I can say just for myself...I have been successful in weightloss and CO deserves credit in playing a part of that.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 12:26

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

BKM,
Coconut milk comes in cans. Where the stores stock it differs...sometimes near the evaporated milk, sometimes with Asian or Mexican foods, etc.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 13:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%
Unhappy

I looked up coconut cream vs coconut milk on the net - what a confusion! Obviously, cream of coconut (heavily sweetened with sugar) is out - but the cream seems to be the thicker, more fatty portion - my can claims 17g fat per 1/3 cup, nothing else.

I looked up coconut milk on nutritiondata.com and for 1/3 cup it has 16g fat, 2g carb, and <2g protein - but then I looked up coconut cream (same place) and it has 27g fat, 5g carb, <2g fiber, and 3g protein ....

Makes you wonder just what to believe.

BTW, the can of coconut cream I have is Orchids brand (Kakang gata) and comes from the Phillipines.... It works well in cooking (it's pretty thick, definitely can't pour it through a puncture in the can, have to remove the entire lid) and tastes good ...
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 13:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

The coconut cream I use is very low carb. Is it possible that some coconut cream has added sugars?
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 15:21

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennhahn
What you want is virgin *unrefined* coconut oil. Refined coconut oil is pretty tasteless. Some people like that for various uses, but I adore the taste of coconut myself so I buy the unrefined Tropical Traditions Gold Label. I haven't noticed anything special with it. I have neither gained nor lost weight. It doesn't seem to help with any skin conditions or fungus, etc. But I love the taste.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 17:25

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 175/161/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

i will definitely go buy some of the virgin kind. thanks
  #88   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 14:02

Plan: 8-week Blood Sugar Diet
Stats: 265.8/182/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi all, I'm looking for coconut oil that has no coconut taste or smell. Is there a good quality one that does not taste like coconut? Right now I'm using Nutiva, and it's lovely for some things, but it overpowers others. The first time I bought coconut oil it was from a local Thai market - not extra virgin. I never noticed a weird taste until I mixed it with some white chocolate powder and it had a bad taste. Since it was my first time using the powder, I wasn't sure which was the problem. Then I heated up the oil in a pan and immediately smelled the odor. I don't know why I never noticed it before.

At any rate, the white chocolate powder doesn't come through at all with the strong coconut taste.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 14:17

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'm not sure that "extra virgin" has the same meaning with coconut oils as it does with olive oils.

You can buy inexpensive, flavorless coconut oil at Wal-Mart. Louana brand.