Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 14:00

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Here is where it could get into that sticky realm where there might be substantial differences among different populations in terms of tolerance of different foodstuffs. Maybe you did fine on their diet but doesn't mean everyone will. Dr. D'Adamo has his evolution-of-the-blood-types theories and there are others running about.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 21:16

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Like the Sami or Koyukon, tribes that live in the far north, but more temperate areas, I tend to treat vegetables and fruits more as medicine than food. I used to be a raw vegan and felt pretty awful with them as a staple.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

Cbcb are your weight stats correct?
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 10:08

Yes. I have a very hard time losing weight and the gain from far lower has been on less than what maintenance calories are supposedly and much of the gain has been on calorie levels between 800 and 1200, with conventional carbs for that calorie level but relatively little bread and processed carbs. I've been able to lose what I have lost mainly by bumping up calories to 1400-1500 but strongly restricting carbs and increasing the fat percentage. I was heavy around 10 years old, lost 60 lbs. about half through lowcarb and the other half through just calorie cutting ... Greens, lite dressing, lowcal fruit, veggies, very little fat at all, and just the basic daily requirement for protein. http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publicatio...ielinski9.pdfIt was hard to lose that way on 1,000.... had to cut back to 750 and then that stopped working for weight loss. Also my cholesterol shot up on the calorie restriction with very low fat. I jogged almost daily, tried weights. Followed the conventional diet wisdom of that day. Over the following decades my weight has risen...much of it during times when I had raised calorie levels to more like 1000-1100 for the sake of some prudence and was jogging 4-5 miles about 5 times a week. Tried that with vegetarian too. And there has never been a period in my life since childhood where I just ate anything or hit the donuts and Oreos etc.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-09, 10:15

Yes. I have a very hard time losing weight and the gain from far lower has been on less than what maintenance calories are supposedly and much of the gain has been on calorie levels between 800 and 1200, with conventional carbs for that calorie level but relatively little bread and processed carbs. I've been able to lose what I have lost mainly by bumping up calories to 1400-1500 but strongly restricting carbs and increasing the fat percentage. I was heavy around 10 years old, lost 60 lbs. about half through lowcarb and the other half through just calorie cutting ... Greens, lite dressing, lowcal fruit, veggies, very little fat at all, and just the basic daily requirement for protein.

It was hard to lose that way on 1,000.... had to cut back to 750 and then that stopped working for weight loss. Also my cholesterol shot up on the calorie restriction with very low fat. I jogged almost daily, tried weights. Followed the conventional diet wisdom of that day.

Over the following decades my weight has risen...much of it during times when I had raised calorie levels to more like 1000-1100 for the sake of some prudence and was jogging 4-5 miles about 5 times a week. Tried that with vegetarian too. And there has never been a period in my life since childhood where I just ate anything or hit the donuts and Oreos etc. Also there was a time in past few years not carb restricting just calories that my body fat percentage was in the 40s. That came down via lowcarb, but since then my weight has risen (seems any time I try higher carb) but the body fat percentage has stayed down where you see it in my stats.

Last edited by cbcb : Wed, Sep-23-09 at 10:32.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 190/150/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I was kind of curious - do those of you who eat mostly meat or a very low-carb diet think that the people who eat vegetables are eating a poor diet?

No. I just think it's a diet that for the most part tastes like crap and makes me feel horrible.

Quote:
do you really see vegetables as a 'bad thing'?

I think they are a great thing to have around in case we run out of meat, or need to fatten up before a long fast.

Quote:
I'm wondering what you think when you see someone *purposely* trying to increase their vegetable intake - if you see this as 'bad food' ?

I humorously think: "Are they fattening up for winter?"

Quote:
At the same time though, I'm kind of curious if those of you who are mostly meat eaters feel the same way about people who eat meat/eggs/fish/vegetables? Or, do you actually think anything other than meat is a bad idea?

Almost all of the fish available in the supermarket is far too lean to be worth eating - so I don't bother. Not to mention, seafood is mostly high in salt. I do eat eggs now and again because I enjoy them in limited quantity and they don't make me feel like crap.

The only thing I think about those who eat fish and vegetables is; More power to ya - Eat what you enjoy. I'm not on a crusade.

If they asked me my opinion about fish and veggies I'd tell them I'm better off without them, and I think they probably would be too.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 10:38

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
I don't care what anyone eats. It's their business and metabolism. I know my body behaves differently from many others'. If they are smugly disapproving and imperial about their way I minimize contact because WTF who wants to know a problematic person?

I agree. Lately, I have been seriously wondering if different ways of eating attract different personality types or if different eating patterns actually cause the expression of different personalities. At least at the margins. For instance, it seems like vegans seem to be drawn to non-confrontational, contemplative behavior patterns, while zero carbers seem to be very "in your face" and arrogant. But which is cause and which is effect? Of course, I am only speaking of extremes and stereotypes, here. Not hard data.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 11:44
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central000
No. I just think it's a diet that for the most part tastes like crap and makes me feel horrible.

And, this is the most important point. There are foods that do that to me too (gluten and dairy) - so, out they go, even if someone suggests that organic dairy is "ok" or even healthy. Just doesn't work for me.

I wouldn't be eating vegetables if I didn't like them or they made me feel bad.

And, I happen to *love* salmon, so it's definitely in.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 11:59

Plan: HighFat/LC
Stats: 160/158/135 Female 5' 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Lately, I have been seriously wondering if different ways of eating attract different personality types or if different eating patterns actually cause the expression of different personalities. At least at the margins. For instance, it seems like vegans seem to be drawn to non-confrontational, contemplative behavior patterns, while zero carbers seem to be very "in your face" and arrogant. But which is cause and which is effect? Of course, I am only speaking of extremes and stereotypes, here. Not hard data.

Not likely. My body prefers VLC and I am definitely a mellow, laid-back, non-confrontational, contemplative thinking type. Eating more meat has not made me more assertive-though I wish it did.

And I went on a float trip with a vegan this summer, who shouted down a group of 20-somethings for killing a water mocassin. We were all afraid she would get us killed.

Last edited by svince6 : Sun, Oct-11-09 at 12:04.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 12:01

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I eat wild salmon weekly fried lightly in tons of coconut oil and butter to up the fat. Besides, I'm sure that our hunter-gatherer ancestors would never have turned up their noses at any edible animal food including insects. But just as eating insects is repugnant to most of us, there are people who choose to eat beef over fish and that's ok too. Whatever is sustainable to keep you eating on plan is what works and should be encouraged.
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 12:24
Registered Member

BF:

King crab is a favorite of mine, but it is loaded with salt. I haven't had it since low carbing and since I'm also salt free now I might find it salty instead of tasty.

I eat beef because I favor it and it's full of fat. I buy fatty chuck steaks and ribeyes. Depends on the budget. I've bought chicken twice and twice it spoiled in my fridge, never cooked. I went to the store and bought more beef instead of making the chicken. I don't buy chicken anymore.

If I favored fish I have no doubt I'd be pouring on extra fat so I could eat it and get my energy too.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 12:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
For instance, it seems like vegans seem to be drawn to non-confrontational, contemplative behavior patterns, while zero carbers seem to be very "in your face" and arrogant. But which is cause and which is effect? Of course, I am only speaking of extremes and stereotypes, here. Not hard data.

You haven't ever heard of PETA, obviously. A very large, politically and socially active group of arragant, in your face, vegans who will not rest until you, I and everyone in the world eats exactly as they do.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-09, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
while zero carbers seem to be very "in your face" and arrogant.
i'm hoping that none of the people eating meat didn't take this literally...
we all know how ZC clears the fog from our heads and calms our life down, but i don't believe for a minute that any of these people are arrogant.. i find them........
done with all other types of diet and now they are trying to find something that works...

shame on you.

Last edited by PilotGal : Sun, Oct-11-09 at 15:29.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 07:07

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

If anything this way of eating has calmed me down considerably. If carnivores are "in your face" it's because you have attacked them. Just because we are of improved disposition doesn't mean we will take attacks on our way of eating mildly.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 17:33
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Here's a 100-year-old gal--who just set an athletic record--who doesn't eat her vegetables:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/worl...le1320765/

100-year-old woman sets shot put record:

Quote:
The oldest female athlete at the World Masters Games in Sydney has broken a world record in the shot put - at the age of 100.

All eyes were on Ruth Frith, from Brisbane, as she arrived for day two of the World Masters Games, hoping to win gold in the the shot put and feeling pretty confident as she was the only competitor in the over-100s category.

But her 4.07-metre (13 feet, 4.2 inches) throw on Sunday didn't just win her gold but also broke a world record.

“As long as I didn't foul I was going to win it,” Ms. Frith told Reuters Television.

The great-grandmother is also a keen hammer and javelin thrower and believes other pensioners should follow her example.

Ms. Frith trains five days a week, regularly lifting 77-pound weights. She doesn't drink or smoke and she doesn't eat vegetables either, claiming she hasn't like them since she was young.

[more at link]

and http://dlisted.com/node/34321

Quote:
When asked what her secret to staying so active is, Ruth said, "Don't eat vegetables, because I never eat vegetables. I know people that like diets that will scream at me, (but) don't eat vegetables. I never have."

Last edited by OregonRose : Mon, Oct-12-09 at 17:41.