Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 22:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Geez, Wordlady (((HUG)))

Boy I know what you mean I call my guys the Turtle hurdle, thats about how fast they move!

Poe tree, thats funny, go ahead, get pissed off

O.K. well today I'm down to 145, ain't seen that in a while
I really did'nt think I'd be down today as I just did'nt eat that much yesterday, I did try to make up for it, with a big dinner, a huge boneless chicken breast, sauted baby yellow zuchinni and green beans in Butter, I guess it helped

Hang in there everyone Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 07:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Yep...no other choice!!!
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 06:06

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Wordlady- THANK YOU

Well, thanks to wordlady- I made my goal. I had to get off my ---
and just do it!!

Unfortunately tonight, I have to go out with some friends. The good news is we are going to a steak house!! But they have the yummiest garlic toast. I need to be strong, and keep a clear head!!

Have a great weekend everyone.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 10:51

BF:

Good for you Junebug!!!

Hey where is everyone, most likely in the same boat as me, after the changes here, I kind of got sidetracked from this thread.

Still holding at 145, no change last week, first in awhile, but that is O.K. with me. I had 3 days away, just very minor cheats, no damage done

However, my son took a few pics of me, and when we got home, we put them in to the computer, my first words were, I still look FAt!!! Damn it!
Oh well, I'l plug on.
Cheers Kathy
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 05:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/136.5/125
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone - I am so glad I found you all!! Thanks Wordlady for starting this. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

I have been battling these few pounds forever and am getting really sick and tired of them hanging on . I haven't really cheated (no Sonic Blasts or Dairy Queen blizzards - although I would kill for either right now ) and eating only "approved" foods. But I haven't been keeping up with every bite so I'm probably getting too many calories. I don't do fitday or anything like that. I got tired of writing it all down for years while doing low fat/low calories, so I've been avoiding that part. And I know I need to be exercising more. . . .

I guess it was from reading through your posts yesterday that got me into attack mode. The next few days I'm going to get my plan together and officially this Saturday (beginning of week 6 on Atkins), I'm going to kick some butt (mine, and hopefully a few pounds will drop off in the process and get the job done.

Thanks for all the support by sharing your experiences. It's good to know I'm not alone in the process. I'll be checking back in. . . . . .
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 18:30
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

I'm not Atkins, but would love to join. Have had lots of success with LC; Atkins makes me kind of ill and I don't lose well on it. However, after dropping from a high of 220 or so years ago I keep struggling with this last 10 pounds. My body and I seriously disagree about what my real setpoint should be. I had a wonderful year or so where I was maintaining almost effortlessly right where I think I belong and then a bout of foot problems disrupted my regular walking program. Between the lack of calories burned and the loss of my best de-stresser, the pounds started creeping back and moderation didn't take them off. So, it's back to LC intensive. DH is having similar trouble and has much more to lose. I've gone off all of my medications, including anti-depressant (which I was taking mostly to help with food cravings), allergy med, and ibuprofen (and now more stuff hurts ). Although my foot is allowing me to walk once a day, I am probably looking at foot surgery within the next couple of months. Gotta get rid of as many of these pounds as possible before the surgery, 'cause I'm sure unlikely to lose much while on crutches with curtailed activity. (Not looking forward to living on almost nothing to eat during the recovery time either, but I guess it's that or regain.) So, even though it's a bit into a much later Monday, I'd love to be counted in. Wordlady, it's clear you're almost there! Good for you!

Last edited by shalizbet : Mon, Jul-21-03 at 18:33.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:16

BF:

Hey welcome shalizbet, hope things go better for you soon.
Well I 'm heading into my 3rd week with no movement other than 1/2 pound that seems to come and go 8>(
But with all this fruit in season, maybe thats it? not that I'm over doing it, but hey you have to enjoy it well it is here, so if it postpones the last 5 pounds so be it!!

Cheers Kathy
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:17

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 135/130/125 Female 5 feet, 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am also struggling with my last "pounds-to-go". I haven't been on Atkin's for long, and I worry that if I don't lose any soon, I'm going to quit. I shed 5 pounds rather quickly, but man!!!!, these last ones are murder! lol
Yesterday, my husband started induction and I don't want to be a negative influence on him. If you do have any suggestions on how to eliminate these stubborn last few, let me know....
And, by the way, I'm so glad I found this thread. A little encouragement certainly goes a long way.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:19
Contributing Member

Hi, sugarlvr! Welcome to the forum! I know it's hard to stay motivated when you're close to your goal. The motivation of the extreme overweight isn't there; you look pretty good. But I've found that if I don't keep progressing and just give up, then up is where I inevitably go! Keep using the forum as a resource; there's a lot here (if you haven't already discovered it) about stalls, and slow-going. Maybe you'll find an idea to jumpstart your weightloss again. Actually, there's often a slow time after an immediate drop. Some people have posted their weightloss records and you can see that pattern. I don't want to sound preachy, and I sure don't have all the answers. Gee, I'm not sure I even know all the questions! But I find it helps to concentrate on how good I feel, my improved energy levels, and the freedom from uncontrollable carb cravings (as distinct from munchies) and not just on the weight. Wishing you all the best! Hope this thread helps!
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 10:17

BF:

Thank you, shalizbet. You're right, of course. I'll just be more patient. I have a question though. My husband is on his third day of induction. He is completely devoid of energy, ran a fever last night, and is suffering from pretty bad headaches...worrisome from a guy who is not prone to them. Does this sound right to you? I know I had about 3 days of headaches and felt a little nauseous, but not as bad as he's looking right now. All he wants to do is sleep. Incidentally, he wants to drop about 20 pounds (and has dropped weight rapidly in the last few days) and he was previously a junk-food addict. Any thoughts?
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 16:19
Contributing Member

Wow, sugarluvr! Your house must be fun right now! One sick and one struggling! Of course, my husband and I are dieting together, too; and sometimes find our snappish times over lap. I've heard some pretty dreadful induction stories, so what he's experiencing may not be completely out of line. I'm NOT an Atkins expert, and you may get far better info from those who are. Obviously, some of how patient you can be with these symptoms depends on things like how high the fever is and whether he has accompanying symptoms (belly pain, ear or sinus pain) etc. that would suggest some other kind of problem. Headaches are absolutely part of the withdrawal pattern, though, even in those not prone to them. If he really was a serious junk-food addict, his body may just be going through a more profound adjust ment period. I'd look through the Atkins sections of the forum and maybe post this question there, as well, and see what others have to say. Odds are, though, within a few days he should be feeling better. My son (19) is three-four days into induction and hasn't had a negative physical symptom. And he has 80 pounds to lose, and was downing big portions of sugary foods the day before. Go figure. Everybody's different in the way they react. As to your own weight loss, those of us with less to lose find it comes off so much more slowly because each pound is a larger percentage of our body fat and total body weight. So, keep keepin' on.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 18:05

BF:

Thanks again, shalizbet. My husband had a 3 hour nap (unlike him), and he said he felt better. He still has a headache but he doesn't feel as sick. You made me laugh reading..."Your house must be fun right now." Luckily, my kids are pretty cool...they've been pitching in more with their parents half asleep
As for me, I'm just happy knowing that the pounds aren't going back on. I'll just have to exercise like more to finish this last 5 or 10. It's ok...at least I'm not hungry! That's what I love about Atkin's because I HATE being hungry! Take care all! Thanks for your support!
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:42
Contributing Member

Hi, again, sugarlvr! Glad to hear your good news! I'm glad Atkins is keeping you from being hungry; my son-----the carb addict----is delighted and astounded at how good he feels and at the fact that he isn't hungry at all. It's being a big boost to his self-confidence----much needed at this point. I, too, have always found that exercise really made a difference.

Kathy, I know what you mean about the fruit! We have had a wonderful surprise in a big crop of wild black raspberries out in the wild part of our back yard. I can pick a pint in 15 minutes; how can I resist? Of course, the Zone lets me fit them in pretty well. You're so close to goal: you'll make it soon, I know!

Hey, mschube! How're you doing? Hope you're well under way with what you're aspiring to!

Best to all on this thread!

Last edited by shalizbet : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 19:48.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:45

BF:

After reading some earlier postings, I noticed many here like to go to fitday.com. I went there and thought that it was pretty cool...an easy way to log what you eat. I think I may have been calculating (or misunderstanding) "net carbs." On the Atkin's low carb bars, it says to count the carbs as '2' even though there are 21 grams. On fitday, you can add foods, so I added the bars since I usually eat one a day. After inputing the info, it said that there are 21, straight from the package. So I'm left wondering, how the heck do you calculate net carbs? Is there a quick and simple way? Is the 'Fitday' carb count the same as the Atkin's carb count?
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:05

BF:

Hi well, I here to say, that after a 3 1/2 week spell of no loss, 2 pounds in two days just left me for good!!

So that being said it is just a good reminder of how just sticking to it will work, I did not change a thing in my diet. The old bod was just haveing a readjustment rest, then up and at it agin!

Well you say you eat one Atkins bar a day???? You may want to try and ditch them for a few weeks, for many people they will stall them.It's kind of the first thing to cut out if they are in your diet. Fustrating,I know, as it's an "Atkins "product, however, if you read through lots of the old and some current threads, most often they are a culpurt here.

Regarding headaches, has he cut out all caffine? that will surely do it, specially if he was used to having it in snacks not just coffee. Some people find it better to ween them selves off regular coffee, by making 1/2 decaf, 1/2 reg, then graduallly go all decaf.

Good luck, cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 10:07.