Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default reporting in

It's hard to believe 3 weeks have passed! I think we're doing great. Hope, I've been there, and I'm sending a cyber-hug your way.

MareBear, I have noticed the same thing as you - reduced knee pain! My weight loss in the last few months has been modest so it must be from exercise. Btw thanks for the good wishes about my toe - it's getting better.

This last week I skipped one day of exercising AGAIN, but I am going ahead and ordering my reward (new jeans) anyway. I don't want to be so hard on myself I start rebelling (I'm not schizophrenic, no, not me)

For Week Four, I'm going to continue doing 30 minutes of sitting/lying exercises every day, continue doing the butt exercises, and start doing leg stretches every morning. Now this was truly a revelation - that stretching could actually reduce pressure on your feet! I already stretch my plantar fascia every morning, but this is new. Thanks yet again, Monika!!

Have a good week everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:06
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Monika's Check In

Last weeks goals were met. I have been wanting to increase my distance, but I still feel so wobbly and wiped I haven’t been able to increase that amount, yet. I did finally think of walking *twice* a day, which I did a couple of times, but I soon learned that my joints can’t quite take that yet. For the last day, I’ve needed crutches just to walk around inside. I’m going to try a second walk every other day, or even every third day until I get stronger.

(BTW, I wanted to clarify that when I write about walking with crutches, they’re not the kind you use if you break a leg. They’re like canes that come up and support your forearm. I need them for a funny type of arthritis I’ve got called Scleroderma.)

My Exercise Goals For Week Four

* 15 minute walk, every morning - stretching well before and after
* At least two evening walks on days with good mobility
* Resistance band workout for upper body, 3 times this week
* Neck and shoulder stretches, 3 minutes worth, everyday

Other Goals for Week Two

* One gallon of water per day

Reward
For trying my best, I will put away any extra money after groceries towards the Walk Away The Pounds DVD.

Mary and Echo ~ You guys are doing so good! Thank you very much for your ‘reviews’ of the WAP tapes. They sound perfect - except, apparently, for the narration and soundtrack! LOL! But that’s okay, I’ve always liked the idea of burning my own exercise music cd. Some songs make me want to move even in my most sluggish state! I think having your kids sing along is a great idea, Echo. What a great way to do something together while still doing something for yourself.

Mary ~ Thank you so much for that link! I copied the upper body workout and I’m adding it to my goals for the week. I’ve enjoyed this thread in particular, but the forum as a whole, for the ability to learn about different techniques in gaining health. I researched the high intensity interval training that you’re doing and learned that it’s highly effective. I have no doubt that you will finish your BFL Challenge, you’ve certainly shown real dedication and commitment here…

MisterE ~ You know how amazing I think your progress has been! Hope your knees are feeling better and the elevator at the office is working again so *you* can choose when to walk the stairs!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:59
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326.5/279/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have been doing well on gettin my exercise goals done... this week I am again going to do Curves 3 times and take the stairs at work and home instead of the elevator... Next week I leave for my 2 week vacation/wedding/honeymoon so I have a lot on my plate this week I'm so proud of everyone in here!!! Great job everyone!

Patty
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:31

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yay! Week 4 over and all goals met We are half way there!

I did 3 weight lifting days, and 3 cardio days. I even managed to bump up my cardio and do it the BFL way. I had already added 2 high intensity intervals, so the next time I just went for it and did all 4. Now I am doing it each time and it feels great and doesn't tire me out like it did at first. I do sweat like a little piggie, but that's OK. I have even started lifting in the mornings at 5:30 before work, and that didn't kill me either!

I haven't lost much weight, but today I am wearing a pair of jeans that was too tight last week to wear, so that part is encouraging. I also have a lot more energy and stamina, which I'll need now that school is starting. I am really feeling the transformation on the inside and I am looking forward to seeing the results on the outside too.

How's everyone else doing?
Happy exercising!!
Mary
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 23:55
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Default Officially Half Way Through!!

Onto Week Five …

Goals
Review last weeks goal and make a new one for this week!

Rewards
What goodie are you going to reward yourself with this time?

Body Image Exercise: Belly & Hips
A little different from earlier weeks, we’ve now arrived at the ‘heart of fat’. This is the most highly charged area for many large people. It’s where we’ve been told to suck it in, girdle it up … and it’s probably where you first noticed significant weight gain.

Pick a time when you’ll have at 5-10 uninterrupted minutes. You don’t need a mirror, but it helps to fully see your belly and hips. What do you see? How has this part of your body changed over the course time or during your weight loss?

Move you hips from side to side, front to back. How is your flexibility? Like ankles and knees, the hips are essential to mobility. Are you keeping them supple and supported? Try putting your hands on your hips and assertively complement yourself. Did you feel more powerful in this stance? Did the message ‘sink in’ a little easier?

Try breathing deep and watch your belly expand and contract. Now suck it in and try the same breath. Most of us can’t get nearly as much air into our lungs while holding in our stomach. We know that the more breath, the more oxygen, which is essential in keeping our bodies as healthy as possible. Yet which view is it easier to like? How often have you given yourself a hard time over your belly's size?

It might be time to wish it well. The following is an excerpt from Lisa Sarasohn’s Love Your Belly site. I’ve toned down the ‘new-agey-ness’ by using some of the sentences in this wonderful meditation, and not others. For a the full version, click A Wish For Your Bodies Well Being.

“Bring both palms to rest upon your lower belly, thumbs at your belly button, fingers resting below. Simply let your hands ride with your belly away from your spine and back toward your spine as your belly gently fills and empties with the incoming and outgoing breath. No force, no strain; just a gentle, easy, natural rhythm.

As you breathe, attend to the sensations taking place within your belly. You might feel, for example, sensations of temperature, density, texture, vibration, motion. … As you focus your attention within your belly, also feel the contact your palms make with your belly.

There's no right or wrong way to do this, no right answer to get, no particular thing you're supposed to see, or hear, or feel. Just notice what's true for you, however subtle, however obvious.

And now, as if your hands could send a message to your belly, let your palms convey your wish for its well-being. In your own words and images, let your belly know that you wish it well.

As the palms of your hands convey your message of caring, notice how your belly responds. Notice any shift in inner sensation, or image, or sound. Just notice.”

Homework
Love up them hips! Treat your belly well this week, and if negative thoughts arise, replace them with complements. Try using the ‘hands on your hips’ stance, if you felt powerful when doing this. Find things to like about your belly and hips. Think of all the abilities they provide you with. Find beauty in their form and function.

Gentle hip stretches from NY State Office on Aging:
Single Hip
Double Hip

Affirmation Of The Week
“… Remember that learning to see yourself in a positive way is a process. Everything you see, hear, or tell yourself contributes to your self-image. Embrace who you are now, and all you are becoming.” Jennifer Robin
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 00:24
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Default Monika's Quickie Check In

Hi Everyone!

I'm checking in very briefly since I've got company coming (a day early ... eeek!). I've been taking my morning walks everyday, but only went for an evening stroll once this week. I've made up for it with intense housework!

I also wanted to say ... Thank you all for the complements about coordinating this Challenge! Selfishly speaking, it's been keeping me right on track, knowing that I committed to doing this not only for myself, but for the group as a whole. I just wanted to say thanks.

DusterCat ~ I'm glad to hear you ordered those jean! You've done so well by keeping up with your routine regardless of that pesky toe. I know you'll soon be back up and out walking in the dawn. Love, Fuzzybutt (I laughed so hard when I read that in my journal ... it kept me chuckling all day long!)

Patty ~ It takes a special woman to be willing to exercise the week she's getting married! Although ... with all the stress involved, it's probably a good tension reliever. Congratulations and I hope your wedding day and honeymoon are magical!

Mary ~ You've been so smart about adding high intensity intervals. And you've come so far so fast! Now, lifting weights at 5:30 am shows you're tougher than even the above-average bear. Great news about the jeans, too. I like losing weight, but I LOVE the inches whittling away. Keep on sweatin' girl!

I hope you all have a great Friday! I'll check in again this weekend.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 05:10

BF:

Hi all you buff and beautiful TDCers

This week's workouts:
Friday - weights - LBWO
Sat - cardio 20 min - 4 high intensity intervals
Sun - day off
Monday - weights - UBWO
Tues - cardio 20 min - 4 high intensity intervals
Wed - weights - LBWO
Thurs - cardio 20 min - 4 high intensity intervals

I am really feeling the results of my exercise routine with a lot more energy My legs continue to strengthen and I have less pain every week.

New goal: I thought and thought about this, it was hard! I feel like I am already doing just about everything I need/want to. My food and water are where I want them, and I am kicking butt on my exercise. I just need to keep doing what I am doing. I know I don't visualize daily, so I will take at least 5 minutes each day and do some visualizations of my new body.

AntiM - Way to go on your morning walks and all the extra house cleaning exercise - that's the kind I really dislike but know I have to do some today too. Enjoy your company! This challenge has really helped me stay focussed and on track too. Thanks

Patty - Enjoy your vacation/wedding/honeymoon!! Where are you going? I bet you get a lot of that "love exercise" too eh?? LOL

Have a great week everyone!
Mary
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:10

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default DusterCat reporting in

Hope everyone had a good week. Mary, you are just doing fantastic.
I did my 30 minutes of exercise every day -- I thought by now I would have been able to do 40-45, but that's probably not going to happen real soon. On the positive side, I have been putting a little more "oomph" into my 30 minutes, so I think it's doing me even more good than it was at first. Still looking forward to walking again, though. I find myself looking at the clock while I exercise (not good!) - I'm going to switch CD's and see if that helps.

I worked on Monica's leg assignment, and you know it IS good to be able to look at a troublesome body part and not be turned off completely. My legs are and have always been my worst feature (haven't worn shorts since junior high) but these days, for some reason, they're at least meeting me halfway. The hips/belly week coming up is going to be hard, because my tummy and I are currently not getting along at all; there have even been harsh words. But I will try. I think one of the most valuable things for me (and I think this is what Monica wants us to do) is to KEEP LOOKING. With time, the distaste will dissipate, and maybe be replaced by more constructive thoughts.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:57
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Default Goals for Week Five

My Exercise Goals For Week Five

* 15 minute walk, everyday - stretching well before and after
* Twice a week - two walks on days with good mobility
* Resistance band workout for upper body, 3 times this week

Other Goals for Week Two

* Keep downing that water - and NO SODA until I've met my goal

Reward
For trying my best, I will put away any extra money after groceries towards the Walk Away The Pounds DVD. (Although given how much I spend for food these days, it will be December until I can afford it! Oh well, it will be a lovely holiday gift to give myself!)

Homework
Well, folks, you've probably got it by now that I have a lot of problems with my legs. In this case, it's not fat, cellulite or saggy skin that make them hard to admire. My joints are all clogged up with extra collagen, and often for the first few hours each day I walk like the Tin Man. At times, I've been really angry with them, resentful that they can't do everything I need them to. This was the hardest body area for me to replace negative thoughts with complements. It's like I couldn't think of any at first!

I needed an attitude adjustment, because I really do value the mobility I still have. On a very basic level, I tried to clearly imagine how I'd feel if they were gone - and suddenly, it was much easier to appreciate them. I've begun doing morning stretches on the bed in front of my full length mirror so I can see the muscles and joints in motion, and strangely enough, they're beginning to look almost ... beautiful? strong? to me. I feel it will be a long road to 'walk', but as the wise man said, 'the journey of 10,000 miles begins with one step'.

This is from my journal ... I thought I'd share it here, too. Any thoughts or insights from my Fellow Challengers?

"I didn’t walk on Friday (visit day), the first time in one month. It was kindof weird how anxious it made me … not from the lack of working off extra energy, but in worrying that this was the first step in backsliding to sedentary land. I corrected this by walking twice on Saturday - even though I knew I was pushing myself a little too hard and today have the achy hips and knees to prove it.

It’s brought up the question … why am I punishing myself?

On Dr. Phil a few weeks ago they did a program about women who had lost a lot of weight and subsequently became very mean people. While the whole show was interesting, what struck me was Dr. Phil’s take on how some folks swing from one extreme to the other; life is either totally unmanageable, or approached with an iron-grip discipline that allows no room for variation. He said that both extremes are about being essentially out of control.

And that resonated with me, because I do feel if I’m not watching my actions closely, prodding them along, I will slow to a stop. Maybe this is only temporary - a reaction to the desire to keep moving? After all, daily 'official' exercise is a relatively new thing again for me.

I’ve decided I’m not going to walk this morning, but I will this evening. I’m going to try to make room for the variations of life and the needs of my body."
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:27
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Wink Yes … It’s me again!

Duster Cat ~ Congratulations on making your goal - with extra ‘oomph‘ to boot! I know that missing one day each week had been bugging you, so meeting last week’s goal was extra special. You are doing marvelously well. I know how you feel about thinking you’d be a little further along by now - every time I try to push 15 minutes to even 18 or 20, I hit a ‘wall’. For me, the solution might be adding a second workout session slowly until I’m doing two per day.

Mary ~ I am glad to hear your legs are getting stronger and stronger! The fact that they’re hurting you less is a great sign that you’ve picked a wonderful routine for your body. I think that you’ve come to a point where maybe the best thing you can challenge yourself with is to maintain this level of activity until you no longer feel like it’s ‘butt kicking’! Then you’ll know you’re ready for the next (or a different) step.

I also think that your idea of visualizing your new, healthier body is a great idea. I’ve been wrangling with visualization, myself. Since I was about this weight when I graduated HS (20 years ago!), I have a really hard time imagining my body at my ‘goal’ weight. Nibby suggested I change my goal to a more realistic 250 … if nothing else, maybe this is a weight I could imagine myself at? I don’t know, still mulling it over.

DusterCat brought up the exercise music issue. I’m going to burn a special CD and one of the songs I must add is Phish’s ‘Bouncing ‘Round The Room’. I’m not even particularly fond of this band, but I always end up dancing in my spastic, white girl way. I also love the Indigo Girls ‘Go Go Go’, which surprisingly makes me want to … Go!

If you like to work out to music, what do you listen to?

I’ll see y’all ‘round the Forum … Have a wonderful Fit and Fab Week!
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 00:56
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Lightbulb Exercise Info

Yeah, I know I've been in a posting frenzy, but this time I'm only passing on some interesting information. Promise!

Y’all know how I love the opportunites to learn different ways of approaching exercise. Like I’m really interested in belly dance and high intensity interval training, even though they’re a ways off for me. Anyways, Gina, who posts under name StarStuff, wrote this in another thread, and I asked her if I could share it with everyone here …

Quote:
A really terrific book on exercising is "The Spark" by Dr. Glen A. Gaesser. His diet recommendations follow the old "high fiber, low fat" mantra, but his exercise program is excellent. He recommends 10-minute exercise periods ("sparks") instead of the traditional 30-to-45 minute sessions most programs call for. He also breaks these "sparks" into 15 10-minute sessions per week, with some aerobic, some strength-training and some stretching.

I recommend the book if only to help convince people that they don't have to grit their teeth, ignore their pain and suffer through long workouts to get any benefits. In fact, Gaesser demonstrates that you get even BETTER results with 10-minute periods of exercise than with longer periods.

And BTW, one of the advantages of exercising the "spark" way is that every time you exercise, your body releases HGH (human growth hormone) -- the stuff that helps your body feel and LOOK younger. The kicker is that if you exercise for 30 minutes, your body only gives you one shot of HGH, but if you exercise for 10 minutes three times throughout your day, you get THREE hits of HGH!

I'm seeing if my local library has it. Anyone here read this?
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 15:49

BF:

AntiM - great journal entry! I know I am an all-or-nothing person, and right now I am in the "all" stage. I know I push myself too, but if I don't I know how easily it is to slide right back into that "nothing" stage. I wish I knew how to be more moderate in my life. But right now I have goals and I have to achieve them. I have to work out hard, that's part of the program for me, every time I workout it is as hard as I can go. I guess I have never viewed this as "punishment" for myself. I view it as being good to myself, by pushing past my limits, by going that extra mile. I don't like pain at all, and I am trying to avoid future pain by getting fitter.

I can probably agree that I have such an iron fist about exercise because I feel out of control. My weight and eating has been out of control for many years. I still struggle with the eating, but on low carb that has been easier. The exercise, on the other hand, has been easy for me to control right now. I know I am obsessive about it, but the only way I have ever been successful is to be obsessive. It's when I sort of slack off that I quit doing the good things and revert back to my old habits that got me to 300+ pounds. So what was his answer? I would love to be able to just be moderate, but it doesn't happen for me that way.

Thanks for the article, I have never heard about it but it does sound like a good idea.

Mary
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:20

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi all - just read through the posts that I missed while on vacation.

I am back and looking forward to being here with you all again on a regular basis. Have to admit that my 'program' slipped a little while home visiting with my family but I am back on my home turf and ready!

Chat soon when I have some progress to share.

Congratulations to all you for continuing your commitment to this challenge!!
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 02:22
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile

Welcome Home, Teresa! It’s great to have you back!

Mary ~ I appreciated your thoughts about my journal entry. I obviously have a hard time with moderation. But, like you, I’d rather take the obsessed about exercise route than the ‘recliner’ road!

DusterCat ~ I wanted to address your comment about the Body Image ‘Homework’. I put some thought into it.

You hit the nail on the head when you wrote:
Quote:
“I think one of the most valuable things for me (and I think this is what Monica wants us to do) is to KEEP LOOKING. With time, the distaste will dissipate, and maybe be replaced by more constructive thoughts.”

I used to work at Smart Size (I think it’s called The Avenue in other parts of the country) - a clothing store for large women. I was curious the first time I heard a woman say she hated mirrors in the dressing room because she didn’t want to actually have to look at her fat body. She was only the first in a long line of customers who shared the sentiment.

I started thinking about how I hardly ever look at myself in the mirror until I’m fully dressed. I never forgot that I was 330+ lbs, knew my clothing size measurements, but I hadn’t really seen myself since those self-absorbed teen years. It wasn’t a conscious decision, just a habit, but I thought about how my Mom wouldn’t even emerge from her closet until her girdle was firmly in place. I was so busy stuffing my belly into control top panty hose, hating how my upper thigh fat had to be adjusted into a place where I wouldn’t accidentally catch fire from the friction, that I hardly ever looked at my bare body.

Around that same time, I got an EXCELLENT book called ‘Some Body To Love’ by Leslea Newman, and one of the exercises was mirror work: “look until you find something to like, complement yourself whenever negative thoughts come up”.

I first took on my belly, which was very difficult to appreciate visually, but then I started getting into it. I imagine that I was an exotic belly dancer, a jeweled belt hanging low on my hips and looking very womanly. (Barb will appreciate this as our official Belly Dancer!) It sounds a little silly, but I moved differently, with more confidence, more strut. For once, I had really seen my belly as sexy and womanly, not fat and ugly, and it felt good. There’s something downright anti-self about hating a part of who you are. I started feeling like appreciating my big body made a difference in how I moved through the world; I became less self-conscious, more poised.

And that feeling stayed with me for a long time … until I started wanting to lose weight. Gradually, I started hating my body again. I wanted to take those imaginary scissors and trim away. It is a war - me against my fat. But my fat is part of me, too, so I just end up hating myself more.

My goal has been to treat all of me like I’m precious, yes, even the jiggling, saggy parts. I want to lose weight, let all the extra fat in my fat cells to be used for fuel. But mainly, I want to be healthier in body, mind and spirit.

This was my motivation for adding Body Image exercises to this Challenge, something that has been hard for me to articulate very well. Thanks for helping me clarify why I wanted to do it.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:07

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Wow, what a post, Monika!! In the last few years I have hated my body more and more. I stopped undressing in front of my hubby, cuz I was so ashamed. Recently, however, I have started to, ever-so-slightly, like my body. I was checking out my back in the mirror, and I am down to one roll!!!! That's from 3 good sized ones. I also have fit into 4 pairs of pants that I bought a couple of years ago, that I couldn't fit into. No stretch in them, ya know? So that is a good thing, eh? One pair that my sister bought is actually an extra large!!! I've been in 3x for a while, so that felt pretty darn good. I think this exercising must be a good thing. Much as i have always hated it!

Echo