Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 01:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/230/170 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default sunday brunch

Hey-Ya! Just a reminder about this sunday 'round noon' for all takers for the first "annual L/C Sunday Brunch" at the Royal Oak this Sunday! All takers must bring at least ONE L/C product or One recipe!! Meeting time is around noon at the Royal Oak, either under the Tv's inside (if it is miserable) or outside by Laurier if it is nice. Look for Rich (blk hair, blk t-shirt goatee, phone 282-0069). See you then!!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

So, how was the brunch guys? I wasn't able to attend as DH and I are in desperate packing/organizing mode as we are taking possession on our house in 12 days (if they are done construction on time!!!).

Hope you had a great time!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:15

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Me too...anxious to hear how it went! and sorry I could not make it! Any ideas/suggestions on future Ottawa meetings? I think this is a great idea!

Froufie
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Yes, the brunch was great...and got lots of ideas for products and recipes too. Richster01 said he may try to organize something for some time in the next couple of weeks. We talked about maybe a lunch or dinner at a restaurant first so that everyone can get to know each other. Watch the forum for further postings on the next low-carb Ottawa meeting!
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 10:44

Stats: 186/183/145 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 7%

Rainbow Foods on Richmond Rd. has a lot of interesting things...While, not a lot of low-carb products, they have a lot of ingredients for low-carb recipes (the missing ingredients that I didn't find anywhere else).

I bought the Atkins Maple Syrup at Mother Hubbards (I think it's called), in Greenbank Square. It's also apparently a good subtitute in recipes...Have yet to try it though...pretty pricey, but I love it on my bacon and sausages (Sounds gross, but I LOVE it)
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 08:25

BF:

Did I kill the conversation? I hate it when that happens I'm always doing that.

How was your lunch? Wish I had found this website sooner. It's soooo much easier going out/eating meals with people who are lc'ing.

My friends and I had a low carb dinner together last week. It turned out to be a lot of fun and was topped off by lc peanut butter cookies!

You know, low carb eating is really not as bad as people think...I'm really enjoying my new lifestyle. (Probably only because I'm down 2 more pounds after a week-long plateau).
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%

How long has everyone been LC with the new products? I have been LC over a year and haven't tried any new products or substitutes. Do they really make it easier?
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:17
Registered Member

BF:

Bess, I personally find it easier with the products because i don't feel deprived..like I can have bread, just lc bread instead of regular. And I can have chips, just Atkins crunchers instead of Lays. But honestly, if you are doing so well after a year without the lc products, I would do it exactly as you are, as it is clearly working for you. I say whatever works...
Silly, you are living up to your name..i love that lol. Will be talking to Rich tonight so will try to plan something for everyone who is interested. Guess one of us will post a.s.a.p....I don't mind doing it at all, just don't want people to think i've taken over since I seem to be posting so much lol. Hey, if anyone else wants to plan something, please do. I still think it would be really fun to do something together with those I haven't met yet..
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:

What area of town does everyone live in? I know rich and I are in Sandy Hill and Ian is in the West End, but need to know the rest so I can find a restaurant that's suitably close for everyone...thanks.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:57

West end/Nepean...but I have wheels so can get downtown or other spots if required??? Parking is easier if not so central....just a thought.....

Froufie
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 16:08

BF:
Progress:
Talking recap

Just a recap. I scanned over some of the posts in this group and compiled the following. If anyone has anything to add, feel free to make an addition

Natures Care Health Products 210 bank-bars, shake mixes, baking powders
Granny's Natural Food Emporium-300 Eagleson Kanata-Keto-Katsup
Kardish-Atkins bars, peanut butter cups, syrup, baking powder, SF raspberry
Syrup

Shoppers drug mart-Atkins bars
Natural Food Pantry-126 York-Atkins bars, Atkins syrup
Rainbow foods-1487 Richmond Road
Nutrition House-L/C shakes, Whey Gourmet, Interactive products
Loblaws Superstore-Atkins bars, Morning Bars, PC Mild Buffalo wings
(0.2carbs per 2-3 wings), Timid Chicken wings (0 carbs), P.C Mayo (0 carbs)
Costco-Cyrville Rd-Atkins bars ~ 29.99 a box
GNC- Stevia (liquid and powder), bars and shake mix
Pharma Plus (Carlingwood)-Pork Rinds
Pharma Plus (Billings)-Sweet 'n' low Chocolate Syrup at 2.99
Natures Own-Keto katsup, bars and shake mix
Market fresh Kanata-L/C Betty's Bread (4g per slice)
Sobey's "Our Compliments Creamy Garlic Dressing" 0.23 g per tbsp, 1.99 per
bottle
Loblaws-Hollywood Light Bread 5g per slice, No-Sugar ice creame(Legend)
Farm Boy- Betty's Light Bread
Mother Hubbards (Greenbank Sq)-Atkins Maple Syrup.
Zellers (O'Connor)-Porky's Pork Rinds
400 Cumberland -Grandads Pork Rinds
Ceci-Cela Smoke Shop-50 O'Connor-Grandads pork Rinds regular and bbq
Loeb-diet orange crush and diet crème soda
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 16:20

BF:
Progress:

Hi, me again! Just an update on how I've been doing. I started Atkins at the top of August. I started about 238. I had a great start for the first two weeks, then stalled at 230. I did Atkins to a "Tee", but since mid-august till early sept I was stuck at 230. On sept 10 it was my B-day, so that Friday, my buddies took me out. Yeah, I cheated big time. That sunday I got back on the WOE again. That was the day I met Pushkin for B-fast. We had a great time and shared a lot of stories/advise. Later that week I had a "Whoosh". From 230 to 227. Today I'm 225! I don't want to endorse the re-feed, but something happened!

p.s last Thursday, I dropped by Pushkins place to pick up a few bars. She gave me these type of Atkins bars that I had never had before, and are not available here. They are called Breakfast bars, -she gave me an apple crunch. It was amazing!!! She also gave me some Atkins Crispers which I am hooked on now! She also gave me pudding, syrup and pankcake mix. Thanks Pushkin for all the samples!
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 12:25

BF:

I'm sooo jealous. Pushkin, where did you purchase all this fabulous stuff?

Rich - I hate those plateaus...so hard to keep motivated during them. I think I'm on one now...I will make it though. (I hope). Congrats. on the continuing weight loss.

Last edited by sillyrach : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 12:26.
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:39
Registered Member

Stats: 146/113/105 Female 4ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 80%

Good news! The breakfast bars (called Morning Start) ARE available here. I've been ordering them from Sports Nutirtion Depot http://www.sndcanada.com (they're in Kitchener Ontario I think)
They have an decent selection of basic Atkins stuff, their price on their Advantage bars are the best I've seen. I live in Vancouver and I placed an order Monday at 1pm, 2 hours later it was shipped and I got it today! Free shipping when ordering $100 or more, plus they always toss in a freebie something. If you like the Apple Morning Start bars, just wait till you taste the Cinnamon. They taste just like the Advantage Cinnamon bars that were out earlier this year and disapeared (I guess they're discontinued?? Bummer!) As far as internet shopping for low carb stuff in Canada goes, this place is the best! (no I'm not affiliated with them by any means, I just want them to stick around so I taut them when ever I can!)

Last edited by itsshannon : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 14:40.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 17:39

The breakfast bars sound like a really good option for me...can you advise on carb count and do they contain those nasty sugar alcohols (most of them disagree with me....well with my tummy!).....or splenda?

Thanks....

Froufie