Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 22:59

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Meme, You will find some I will reiterate tho, look REFRIGERATED sections. You might find them where you find blocks of tofu and other FRESH rice noodles.

Here is my brand I like a lot - not sure how you pronounce tho!

Thank you Thud
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 08:47

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
1DD, look at you, nearly at a new decade!

Yes I'm very happy - I finally started losing again, I lost 5 lbs. after what felt like a long stall!

Last edited by 1DogDay : Sun, Mar-06-16 at 09:46.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 10:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
...Thud, that soup looks awesome (like all your food), what's in it besides chicken and noodles?

Let's see if I can re-remember:

Bacon Fat
Coconut milk (Aroy-d)
Bok Choy
Green curry paste
Liquid Aminos
Habanero pepper
Thai chiliflakes
Basil
Garlic Chili paste (the red blob)
a little green pepper and onion
vinegar
shrimp paste
1/2 pork bullion cube

I think that's it or close to it.

small amt water and vinegar to boil with chicken. Cook, added hot pepper and bacon fat, curry paste and shrimp paste. cook. add other stuff except basil and bring to boil, stir, simmer 15 mins or so, add bok choy green tops and some basil let simmer another 5 mins, serve add basil and chili paste toping.

it is easy and favorite of my
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 09:47

BF:

Thanks Thud, it sounds good but hot!!! Why do you use vinegar to cook the meat? I'm allergic to gluten, and white vinegar contains it so wonder if I could use another vinegar?

Thanks again!
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 09:50

BF:

Quote:
Thanks Thud, it sounds good but hot!!! Why do you use vinegar to cook the meat? I'm allergic to gluten, and white vinegar contains it so wonder if I could use another vinegar?

Thanks again!

I don't know. I Just like sour flavor. I use apple cider vinegar. Lots of it in many things. I didn't know white vinegar had gluten in it. I'm going to look that up. Weird!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 19:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

White vinegar is gluten-free. You may be thinking of malt vinegar, 1DD. If you were still paranoid about it, though, I'd go with apple cider vinegar.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 21:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I don't know. I Just like sour flavor. I use apple cider vinegar. Lots of it in many things. I didn't know white vinegar had gluten in it. I'm going to look that up. Weird!

Perfect, I love apple cider vinegar and have been forgetting to use it lately.

I think white vinegar maybe only has only a trace but I'm celiac so a trace matters.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 21:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
White vinegar is gluten-free. You may be thinking of malt vinegar, 1DD. If you were still paranoid about it, though, I'd go with apple cider vinegar.

You're right Kristine, I checked on the celiac website, I was misinformed. Glad to know that!

P.S. I'm from Ontario too but in sunny AZ now!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 21:31

BF:

I made the fettuccini noodles today with olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, 6 black olives and 4 tiny cherry tomatoes chopped up, it was YUM!

I am going to eat these noodles every other day! Happy I found them and got brave enough to try them. Just need more dairy free recipes. Arizona was high 80's last week so I didn't feel like soup...it's cooling off now so I will try some chicken soup!
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 23:48

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Dog day, your dish sounds so good!

Has anybody ever used fish sauce in the Asian mix and what did you think of it?
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 07:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
You're right Kristine, I checked on the celiac website, I was misinformed. Glad to know that!

P.S. I'm from Ontario too but in sunny AZ now!

JEALOUS! I spent 5 weeks in NM a number of years ago for work; I loved the desert. I don't think I could leave home permanently, but I want to be able to afford to be a snowbird when I retire. There is absolutely no part of snow or winter that I enjoy.

Back on topic: my next project is going to be shirataki mock sushi. I didn't think to buy real nori sheets, but I have some of those roasted seaweed snack packs. I've never seen the shirataki rice, but I'll just cut the noodles really small with scissors. I just have to think of a way to make the "rice" stick together. I've seen recipes with xanthum gum, but I don't have any. I might still have some guar gum, but I'm not sure that would be the same. I was thinking of just melting some cream cheese and mixing it all together, since I'm putting cream cheese in it anyway. Any other ideas?
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Back on topic: my next project is going to be shirataki mock sushi. I didn't think to buy real nori sheets, but I have some of those roasted seaweed snack packs. I've never seen the shirataki rice, but I'll just cut the noodles really small with scissors. I just have to think of a way to make the "rice" stick together. I've seen recipes with xanthum gum, but I don't have any. I might still have some guar gum, but I'm not sure that would be the same. I was thinking of just melting some cream cheese and mixing it all together, since I'm putting cream cheese in it anyway. Any other ideas?

OMG! What a great idea. I totally could see mincing the noodles up, squeezing them hard and precooking them in some fat. I do have some xgum. that stuff is tricky to use. Sounds like something fun to do this weekend. All the mistakes should be edible
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Dog day, your dish sounds so good!

Has anybody ever used fish sauce in the Asian mix and what did you think of it?

I have a fish sauce post on my computer at home. I forgot to hit send. I'll do it later. I just have two words to say about fish sauce in the meantime: Red Boat.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 08:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:

that sounds great!
mashed avo might work, too?
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The fact that I'm just starting on my second cup of tea may explain my bafflement, Thud.

Does "Red Boat" mean a brand of fish sauce? Or is it code for something that I'm entirely ignorant about?