Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-13, 07:04

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Preventions Flat Belly Diet pushes MUFA's (monounsaturated fatty acids). I have their pocket guide which gives me some ideas on using fats in my meals. Most are too high in carbs but with some imagination I may be able to use it again. (Had this book for awhile.)

I need to find lower carb foods to attach to some of the fats. Was thinking about zucchini strips. I'm going to look for a mandolin.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-13, 08:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

tbagram, I find a spiral slicer is amazing. I have this one and I love it. You can turn any veg into spaghetti
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Blood Type - more paleo
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
tbagram, I find a spiral slicer is amazing. I have this one and I love it. You can turn any veg into spaghetti

Agreed. I have one and make zucchini pasta all the time. yum!
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 08:22

Plan: Dr. Kwasniewski's Ratios
Stats: 198.4/142.2/140 Female 66"
BF:Finally Normal!
Progress: 96%

Another pound gone! I dropped a pound in three days. I don't think I've ever done that (except for when in Atkins Induction). I had my "bullet proof" coffee yesterday and today the pound was gone! I'm keeping my fat intake pretty high, 120-140 grams a day, which is just a guesstimate since I eat ribeye with all the fat just about every day. So I know it's actually higher than what the tracker says.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 12:00

I just picked up a dozen farm fresh eggs from the farmers market. I was disappointed that the ranchers selling sausage are only making low fat products! I think they were taken by surprise when I inquired about full fat. Even their banner touted "low fat".
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-13, 07:33

Another pound bites the dust! I was only down .2 pounds yesterday morning so I had my bulletproof coffee yesterday at lunch and tadaa, one pound this morning! I think it gets my fat intake up to the optimal amount for losing on this WOE. I also had my usual fare for food all day yesterday, eggs, bacon, ribeye, potato, etc... I noticed that if I vary it up, then my numbers aren't as exact as they could be.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 08:28

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscDiva
I just picked up a dozen farm fresh eggs from the farmers market. I was disappointed that the ranchers selling sausage are only making low fat products! I think they were taken by surprise when I inquired about full fat. Even their banner touted "low fat".
I wonder where all the fat is going? Would be nice if we could get it for free, take it off their hands
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 14:19

I think they are throwing it away! When I bought some at the butcher to render, he said I could easily get more in the fall when the cattle go to market. They must butcher more then, I guess. He said no one wants it (the leaf fat).
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 14:23

BF:

What a shame. so sad for people not having such a cheap healthful source of energy.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 15:17

I agree! If they only knew! I can't even convince my DH how healthy it is to eat animal fat. He is still under the impression that it will raise his cholesterol and make him fat, unhealthy, etc... He claims he doesn't like it and never has, just ask his mom he says but I know it is the typical American brainwashing against fat. He's not a "reader/learner" like I am. Unless he reads it in a Men's Health magazine or hears about it from his doctor, he won't believe it.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-13, 18:44

Just checking in; still eating a lot of ribeye and potato dinners and still losing each week. Yay! Question: since what/how much I eat is based on what I SHOULD weigh, can I expect a slow down the closer I get to goal (like Atkins) or will I keep on plodding along and then just stop losing one day? My DH also asked his doc today about how I eat and if it was ok for him and the doc said, "if you want to". Yay! Baby steps! So, we'll see what his blood tests come back with and go from there.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-13, 20:28

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

All diets stall at some point, if enough calories are not eaten, and if you as a woman get less than 60 grams of protein a day. You are making great progress, and may hit your goal as is. Some exercise, even if just walking, helps. I think the Atkins carb ladder is a great idea. Kwasniewski is good for maintenance. The ribeye is a good idea.
Carbs are like medicine, you need some, but not too much, the dosage has to be correct. You will have to experiment to find the right dosage. Be wary if your body temperature is dropping, which is one sign of a slowed metabolism.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-13, 20:39

I'm still losing 1-2 pounds per week; not slowing down but I know Atkins folks say that as you near goal, you typically slow down but I assumed that is from climbing the ladder and finding your maintenance net carb level. Since I am not climbing the Atkins ladder or adding net carbs, what will happen?
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-13, 20:57

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

For most people weight loss slows, but not all, for the nearly 60 lb weight loss you are seeking. There are some people posting on this forum who lost the weight and kept it off. For some people, their bodies just don't respond no matter what they try. No diet plan has all the answers for all people. Low carb works for many of us. Kwasniewski in his book, page 71, says the most common error (in following his plan) is that people try to eat too little or zero carbs.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-13, 08:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscDiva
I'm still losing 1-2 pounds per week; not slowing down but I know Atkins folks say that as you near goal, you typically slow down but I assumed that is from climbing the ladder and finding your maintenance net carb level. Since I am not climbing the Atkins ladder or adding net carbs, what will happen?
If you are eating for your desired weight, and change nothing in your food and exercise as you go down in weight, then yes, weight loss will slow down as you weigh less.

That's because your energy deficit is getting smaller and smaller so you pull less from stored fat.

However, if you increase exercise as you go down, then you could keep losing at a higher steady rate, because the added exercise has to pull more energy from stored fat.

Some people naturally want to move more as they get lighter. That totally happens to me.