Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 18:58

Plan: mix of Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 218/146.2/133 Female 5, 5'
BF:26
Progress: 84%

Congrats on all the boys!!!! I hope your check up goes well, Jill and lucky for you with the no heartburn.
Eriksgirl did you find out what was going on? Being sick and pregnant sucks so bad! Especially when us Moms don't get days off!
I'm so relieved to hear that info. on ketosis. I haven't been monitoring my carb intake, but have been avoiding breads, sugar, starches ect. so I have no idea if I'm in ketosis or not, but was worried just because thats what I do. I am a worrier!! Ahhhh. Anyway, we are hoping for a boy, but aren't finding out the sex of the baby!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 07:19

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirelav

Eriksgirl did you find out what was going on? Being sick and pregnant sucks so bad! Especially when us Moms don't get days off!

My MW appointment didn't go so well yesterday. Turns out my "sickness" was actually preterm labor. I was dilated 3cm, 70% effaced and baby at 0 station. She told me to go home drink lots of water and only get out of bed to go potty. By the time, I made it home, I was bleeding pretty bad. It definitely wasn't spotting. So, I ended up in L&D getting 2 shots of terbutaline to stop the contractions. I am now on complete bedrest for the next few weeks. I'm praying that this little guy will stay put for at least 2 weeks or more. MW said she was concerned because there was a lot of protein in my urine. I don't understand that because I've been doing LC my entire pregnancy so I would think that it would show up every visit if it was that. Does anyone know??

MYy poor Erik was 15 hours away and I had to call and let him know what was going on. He got home at 4am. Looks like he's here 'til we have our baby. I'm sad that he is losing work, but so happy to have him here.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 07:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Scale has shown 194 the last few days. Not quite sure why I gained 2 lbs, my carbs have STAYED between 50-80 with nutritious foods, my calories have been right around 1800, and I've hit the gym for 30+ minutes per day for the last 3 days (I work out 3-4 times per week for 30-60 mins).

I suppose the baby just needs to gain a little weight at this point. I will try to relax, but I really don't want my weight gain to be above 15-20 lbs this time!!! I've already gained 9 lbs and I'm only 20wks3 days.

Last time, I had gained 17 lbs by 23 weeks, and wound up gaining 46 lbs when I delivered at 38 weeks.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
I was dilated 3cm, 70% effaced and baby at 0 station. She told me to go home drink lots of water and only get out of bed to go potty. By the time, I made it home, I was bleeding pretty bad. It definitely wasn't spotting. So, I ended up in L&D getting 2 shots of terbutaline to stop the contractions. I am now on complete bedrest for the next few weeks. I'm praying that this little guy will stay put for at least 2 weeks or more.

When's your due date? Are you on oral terbutaline at home? Sometimes if you're pretty early still, they have you take it at home.

Quote:
MW said she was concerned because there was a lot of protein in my urine. I don't understand that because I've been doing LC my entire pregnancy so I would think that it would show up every visit if it was that. Does anyone know??

Has your BP been elevated? Proteinuria is a symptom of pregnancy induced hypertension or pre-eclampsia.

Quote:
I'm sad that he is losing work, but so happy to have him here.

Enjoy having your hubby home. Try to relax.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 08:01

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Oh eriksgirl big hugs and prayers to you!! I had to be on bedrest with my son bryan for over a month. I was 4cm dialated.

Just really try and relax its the best thing you can do.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 08:32

BF:

Katzue, no, my BP checked out fine. Not even slightly elevated. The scale is definitely not our friend when pregnant. LOL MY weight jumped around so much I finally put my scale away cause it was a pain in the rear. Sounds like you're eating good.

Kaylakala, thanks for your kind words. It's hard with 5 kids at home to stay in bed, but I'm determined to keep this little guy in there for a little while longer.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 13:40

Plan: mix of Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 218/146.2/133 Female 5, 5'
BF:26
Progress: 84%

Adding my prayers Eriksgirl I hope you are feeling better and that little guy stays in there until its time!
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 14:01

BF:

Quote:
Katzue, no, my BP checked out fine. Not even slightly elevated. The scale is definitely not our friend when pregnant. LOL MY weight jumped around so much I finally put my scale away cause it was a pain in the rear. Sounds like you're eating good.

Kaylakala, thanks for your kind words. It's hard with 5 kids at home to stay in bed, but I'm determined to keep this little guy in there for a little while longer.

FIVE kids? Oh my goodness, how the heck are you going to stay in bed? Haha-- enjoy the break!!! How many weeks til its safe to come out?
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 00:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
FIVE kids? Oh my goodness, how the heck are you going to stay in bed? Haha-- enjoy the break!!! How many weeks til its safe to come out?

I'm currently 35 weeks. So, every day that he can stay put is a plus. I know he would be ok if born, but I just don't want to take the risk. Today seemed to go well. The bleeding stopped and the contractions have let up, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 06:48

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Ugh, my eating is still horrible. I've finally moved past the issue of major sweets cravings, so at least lots of candy/ice cream/milkshakes are no longer my daily norm, but I'm still eating things like grain and potato products. My home scale is up to 200 pounds, which is a mental f*** that I knew was coming, but still irks me. And I will still be gaining more weight since I'm only 28.5 weeks. C'est la vie...I'll worry more about weight AFTER baby arrives. For now, baby's health is priorities #1, 2, and 3!

In other news, since baby shower invitations have gone out for shower #1, someone bought the hamper for my nursery set off my registry! I know it seems like a silly thing to be excited about, but the hamper was my favorite piece of the set because of the pattern and bright colors, and if someone didn't buy it for us, I probably wouldn't buy it myself since it's not an absolute necessity (would have just gotten a plain white Walmart hamper for less than 10 bucks instead!).
Quote:
Today seemed to go well. The bleeding stopped and the contractions have let up, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So glad to hear improvement I Googled quickly and found LOTS of incidents of pregnant women with excess protein in their urine but no other symptoms of preeclampsia, and they seem to all have done just fine. I would chalk it up to the wacky world of pregnancy and not worry about it unless doc says something specific about it (like what it could mean or what the risks might be, etc.). Eating lots of protein shouldn't cause protein in urine because spilling protein means something isn't processing correctly, but maybe it's just because your organs are working overtime already with the pregnancy.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 12:44

BF:

Eriksgirl-- hope you continue to relax and feel better. While 35 weeks is early, if you're pretty sure on your dates, than it's a lot less scary. You're very close to term!!!

Jilly-- I put on 2 lbs for some unknown reason and I haven't been eating carbs. Don't feel bad, we're going to gain water weight at some point, unless you're LOSING 25 lbs of fat to replace the baby with, weight gain is the inevitable. It's just hard to face a scale saying 200 when you swore you'd never see it again!!! Mine will say 200 in a few weeks here, I'm sure. It's at 193.4 this morning.

What kind of exercise are you ladies doing? I did zumba, and got yelled at by a lot of people-- apparently the "twists" are bad for pregnant lady ligaments? I've been doing stroller fitness on tuesday-thursday and going on the elliptical or walking at an incline on the treadmill on mwf. Saturday or Sunday is yoga and balnce exercises on the wii fit, or a prenatal yoga video.

I've been trying to stay active 5-6 days a week these past few weeks. Keeps my self confidence up

Hope you're all doing well!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 18:02

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Eriksgirl keep that baby in you as long as you can . I know its hard I was on bedrest with Bryan now 8 for about a month. Have they suggested steroids for improving lung function. I don't know much about it is supposed to help a lot to keep the baby out of the nicu. good luck!!
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 20:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Eriksgirl keep that baby in you as long as you can . I know its hard I was on bedrest with Bryan now 8 for about a month. Have they suggested steroids for improving lung function. I don't know much about it is supposed to help a lot to keep the baby out of the nicu. good luck!!

I don't believe they give steroids after 34 weeks.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 17:24

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

eriksgirl, hope you're still relaxing on bedrest and that your baby is staying put.

no changes here for me, still the same

re excercise, i'm just walking. that's it. ::sigh:: so boring, but totally safe.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 20:22

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Exercise? HA! None. I've been having trouble even just STANDING without getting dizzy or lightheaded. I was preparing some meals today to freeze and had to actually sit right down on the kitchen floor multiple times because just standing at the counter working with the food made me very woozy every few minutes. Grocery shopping this morning wiped me out to the point I came home and took a nap! I've even nearly passed out before while taking a shower.