Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282.5/252/190
BF:
Progress: 33%

Please critic my daily workout. I do it everyday to keep me faithful to it.

30 minutes of weight training (arms, shoulders, chest). I use the 5lbs/10lbs weights 3 sets of 15(if possible).

Also I have incorporated some of my Taebo(basic workout 1st series) leg excersises into my routine with 5lb ankle weights. I do those for 40 mintues. 3 sets of 24. I also do some of the punching in the tape with 2.5 lbs weight in hands.

I also work my abs. I lay on the floor and tighten my abs. I lift my legs towards the ceiling and I lift my hips off the floor and back down again. I do 3 sets of ?. I just do them until I feel them burning really bad. I rest 15 secs in between sets.

I also do crunches with my legs bent. I bring them into my chest as I lift my back towards them. I do 3 sets of 20. 15 secs rest in between sets.

I do this daily. Is this good enough to shead the pounds. I also have a small apron. Will this routine help get rid of that?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 16:17

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I'm new to the boards and only just read your message...not sure if you decided to go for the marathon. I've run 8 of them.

It is a great goal to set and finishing is a great accomplishment. With proper training and eating habits and rest, virually anyone can do it. It helps me focus and stick to my goals, as I set out several races that I am interested in doing for the year.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:08

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Question I have an idea ~ could this work??

I am a SAHM of two little girls. I cant go to the gym.

I have a treadmill, and an Orbitrek. I also have a couple of 1 1/2lb hand weights (I think - I need to find them) and I have some velcro weights (1 lb ? need to find these too) that go on your ankles.

So when I find those, I will figure something out.

My initial idea was to get on the treadmill with the incline all the way up, and go backwards. Would this do anything for me, or will I just get hurt? lol.

I haven't been on my Orbitrek in a while either

Any suggestions for what I already have (not much) would be great.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 08:08

Stats: 177/177/135 Female 60 inches
BF:
Default Is this ok??? I am confused :(

I have knee trouble...so I do pool work. I do swim laps,then do the kick boards, and treading water...then I switch to running in the pool while doing swim strokes. I do that three times a week for 30 - 40 minutes. Then the other two days a do about a mile at a moderate pace walking around the school gym. I sneak in an 8 minute abs or butt tape here and there

I do the weights for about 20 minutes 4 times a week, and I do 100 or more crunches a day, and leg exercizes for PT for my knees everyday.

Do you think that is to much?
OR should I be doing something else?
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 09:58

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default one thing...

One piece of advice I have received (and will pass along) is in regards to daily crunches.

We all realize that we should not train the same set of muscles (whether it's chest or bicep or quads or whatever) on consecutive days.
That's because they need time to rest and repair. We will be breaking down the work they need to do if we over work them.

The same holds true for abs. They are a set of muscles as well that need time to repair.

So maybe you can do ab work every other day. And if you feel like you'd be missing out on something, you could either up the reps or the intensity on those days.
-- LOretta
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 08:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 55/55/45
BF:
Progress:

Hello Everybody,

I am a typical "excited starter and bored next" person. I've joined in a gym a couple of times times already and never bothered renewing my membership after it has expired. I've already spent a lot of money just to try to lose weight but never succeeded. My husband keeps on getting me really good gym equipments to use at home but I just couldn't see myself enjoying using them, I'll probably use them just when my husband is watching me and eventhough, I'll be on them for only 5 mins max. I don't really like going to the gym much 'cos I don't like chatting when I'm working out as I need to concentrate on what I'm doing and some people sees it as a bad thing. Also, in my last gym which is a women only gym, the staff are really intimidating, so I really didn't enjoy going. What I'd like to ask you guys is some advise on how I can get enough motivation to exercise at home. At the moment, my favourite exercise tool is my gym ball, I'm always on it even when I'm only watching tv, I'm always on it but just sitting on it. I'd do my sit ups for only 100 reps at a time and that's it. I've tried to do more than 100 once and I felt that I hurt my ribs part so I didn't do it again. Was that wrong? Should I just stay on doing 100reps? I'm also thinking of getting a threadmill, would that be a good idea? Cheers!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:20

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 235/205/190
BF:26%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Hello everyone, I posted a question in my journal that I'm hoping to get a bit of help with. Could you please click on THIS LINK.

Mario
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 13:54

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default LC and weight training...

I'm not sure exactly what you question is, except maybe you're wondering basically if weight training and cardio go hand in hand with low carbing.

Well, there are TONS of people on this site (myself included) that are low carbing and weight training.

Check out (under this General Exercise link) the
BFL forum
and the
CKD forum

There are some of us doing Body RX as well (check out my journal/gym log), although it's not as common on the site as the 2 above.

I think you'll find they go hand in hand very nicely. But I WOULD recommend being on the low carb diet approximately 2 weeks before you resume with the weight training. I'd let the body detox from the carbs before trying to have strength and stamina!

Oh...in specific, on the BFL forum is this thread:
LC and BFL hints and tips

Good luck! A lot of people start off with the weight training and the low carbing at the same time, and complain that they are unmotivated/tired/lack strength. That's why I'd be on the low carb diet a bit ... then start with the gym.

-- Loretta
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 17:44

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 235/205/190
BF:26%/20%/15%

Thanks for the heads-up Loretta, I've been weight training for a month now and taking Xenadrine along with trying to do as low fat a diet as possible.

I've started the low carb thing a couple of days ago and continue to work out. I guess what I'm really looking for is tips as well as an understanding of the obsticles ahead of me.

Mario
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 09:07

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Thank you for posting this information. I joined a gym a little over a month ago, and it was the best thing I think I ever did. I was also nervous about other people watching, or working out with the skinny people, but honestly, no one cares. Everyone is doing their own thing and if they are into their own workouts, they don't have time to pay attention to yours.

That being said, because I work out first thing in the morning when the gym opens, none of the trainers are there. I've been doing my own thing this whole time because I haven't had a chance to get together with a trainer and develop a program. I've lost 15 lbs. (combined with doing Atkins), but I think I've done all I can exercise wise on my own and need to develop a program for me.

I started out doing treadmill for 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Then last week for some reason I was thinking that swimming would be a better cardio workout, so I switched to swimming laps for 45 minutes. I then read an article posted on another board about how swimming was NOT a good primary workout, so this morning, I swam laps for about 15 minutes and ran upstairs to look at the resistance machines. Figured one out, and did a few abdominal exercises, but overall didn't feel comfortable in doing them without being shown the proper way...soooo, I ended up on the stationary bicycle for another 20 minutes at that Level 1. Don't know if I was doing it right, but I just tried to keep up with whatever speed they said I should be at...lol.

Anyway...this is my long winded way of saying thank you for posting this. I really needed some direction and I think my next step will definately be meeting with a trainer (which actually is intimidating for me...lol).

Laura
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 10:19

Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hiya

I started induction this week and have been to the pool three times teamed with 2 miles walking on those days aswell. I'm going to do my gym induction next week.

I had been doing aerobics classes and step classes but they're SO BORING!!!!! I'm looking to start trampolining and skating
I figure whats the point if I'm not going to enjoy it? Been looking at skates in shops and I'm getting all excited!!

I'm going to give kickboxing aerobics a try on Sunday morning, and I think I'll try boxercise too. I would like a straight kickboxing class but there isn't one anywhere round here.......

Does anyone have any motivational tips? My main ones are:

1) I'm getting married on June 8th
2) Exercising makes me feel better and helps combat stress
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 10:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 50/50/43
BF:

can i just play basket ball for exercising??... i've been playing basket ball for two days.. and my arms and legs is aching like hell.... should i rest till my body no longer aches or carry on?...
do you have to do weight training to tone up?.. can i jus do basket ball??...or any other sports like swimming??..
  #73   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 06:37

Stats: 420?/325/2 Female 69"
BF:75/70.8/28
Progress:
Question what do I buy?

I cant go to a gym and want to start using weights at home.I have VERY limited space.
I would like to know what I should buy.
What size bars and plates and how many?Or should I buy the pretty plastic ones?I will be useing them sitting in a chair.
I do Sitting Tai Chi twice a week and will be starting aqua arobics twice a week very soon.
I ordered your book yesterday and and cant wait for it to arrive
Please help!
2much
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:16

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Gyms . . .

Hi all,
2nd Post here. I just joined Bally's last week, and had a lot of the same feelings or misgivings about going. Sef conciousness, worry about other peoples attitudes, etc. and I've found that most (if not all) of the people there don't pay the slightest bit of attention to you. And if they are . .who cares ? No matter what you look like now, everyones is there for the same thing. No one can fault you for wanting to improve, so quit worrying about what others at the gym think.

I find it motivational to see people that have worked hard and acheived great looking/in shape bodies. I also (and this will sound bad, but Im not being mean!) find it motivational to see the people that are worse off than I am too (not many of those at my gym that I've seen, but). It's like other peoples motivation motivates you and it's great.

I'm lucky I guess that all the people in my local gym seem mostly very down to earth. I am probably going to go to a total of 3 Bally's because of different locations and convenience (One is 5 minutes away from my house, one 5 minutes away from work, and one five minutes away from my weekend workout buddies house). Hopefully I 'll have the same luck there.

For those of you worried about other peoples attitudes etc. try to tour a gym first and see what the people are like. The types of people you see there at any given time will reflect how it will most likely be all the time.

I know the gym is not for everyone, but I know that working out at home isnt for everyone either, and that I personally would never or very rarely do it at home. It's just too easy to put off, or get distracted.

Whew, long post. Thanks TrainerDan and everyone else for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Met
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Baby, Yea!
Stats: 317/238/199 Male 74 inches
BF:39%/31%/17%

A lot of good advice. The one thing I found totally interesting, that I never knew btw, was doing cardio on an empty stomach. I knew cardio is best in the morning by why is it better to do on an empty stomach?

Thanx,