Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 10:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Did you know that eating M&M's with a Diet Coke cancels the calories from the M&M's?

And did you know that pineapple is one of the negative calorie foods? All you can eat, kiddies!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 21:12
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisonroad
"Did you know that eating M&M's with a Diet Coke cancels the calories from the M&M's? Also, peanut and almond M&M's are healthy-the nuts, you know!!!"

You know what's scary? I actually had someone who knew I was doing "the Beach", and on a day when I didn't have snacks with me and was really hungry, she recommended I have some Peanut M&M's to get me thru. She justified it because of the nuts. People really don't understand this WOE, do they?

I've read articles about South Beach, and have a couple friends who were on it, and the peanut M&M's were allowed according to them. Is it in the book at all, or are the articles and friends all wrong?
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura W
Did you know that eating M&M's with a Diet Coke cancels the calories from the M&M's? Also, peanut and almond M&M's are healthy-the nuts, you know!!! LOL

Carbs and calories leak out of anything broken. And anything eaten on your birthday doesn't count. So they say...I don't try silly theories!

<making mental note to read this one daily -- laughing this hard could be aerobic>

Gail
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 00:55

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Do real personalities come through? Perhaps more than in real life, because of the anonymity.

Do people ever irritate me? Heck, a couple of the ones I find MOST irritating have posted in this thread.

Types of people irritating me this week? Although veterans usually take the blue ribbon here, we're currently flooded with newbies so they lead the pack. Newbies who start demanding stuff with their very first post bug me: OMG I DECIDED TO START THE ADKINS TODAY YOU HAVE TO HELP ME AND DO IT NOW NOW NOW! Also noobs who start blowing their own horns with post one: HEY EVERYBODY, STRING CHEESE IS DA BOMB AND EVERYONE SHOULD TRY IT BECAUSE I LOST 2LBS EATING IT AND YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF IT TILL I GRACED YOU WITH THIS POST BUT HEY YOU'RE WELCOME FOR THE TIP AND FEEL FREE TO AXE ABOUT MY STUNNING SUCCESS!

I'm sure I'm on plenty of "ignore" lists, and that's okay. I haven't resorted to it using it yet, but I've come danged close a few times. For now I value the overall flavor of the board over the occasional annoying poster, and hope it stays that way.

Last edited by JaneDough : Thu, Jan-12-06 at 01:02.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 07:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I've read articles about South Beach, and have a couple friends who were on it, and the peanut M&M's were allowed according to them. Is it in the book at all, or are the articles and friends all wrong?

hmmmm....peanut M&Ms in the book???? I don't recall seing it in the book. sorry....

We are allowed 75 calories a day of a sweet treat. I save it for my nightly no sugar added fudgsicles w/ whipped cream . I suppose that one could eat a few peanut M&Ms and consider it legal.

But what gets me a little is the simple fact that we are supposed to be off sugar!! Yet even the Kraft line of SBD foods, have sugar in them!!!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 08:47

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Um...Jane....

Since I guess I qualify as a veteran, and have a tendency to preach, I just wondered what it is about veterans that you find particularly annoying? Sometimes I'm more abrupt than kind, I know--but usually in the spirit of sharing what has worked for me, in the hope of giving someone a new clue (as others did for me countless times in the beginning).

Anyway, I'm certain that any food eaten in small nibbles throughout the day off the goodie table at work (such as a tiny corner of fudge, just one cashew--maybe two or three--the merest sliver of poppyseed muffin, and a finger-full of frosting from the anniversary cake) have no carbs whatsoever.

Barb
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 08:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

OK...on the peanut M&Ms.....In the Good Fats, Good Carbs Guide. they have a page of candy and candy bars. Most say to avoid but the peanut M&Ms say "Very Limited".

What this means to me is ...NOT AT ALL!!! So if your friends are eating them each day...I say
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 09:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

Another food which the calories don't count of course is the stuff you eat off of your kids plates that they leave behind.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 09:44

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on the peanut M&M's.

"The New Glucose Revolution Pocket Guide to the Top 100 Low GI Foods" says:

1 (1.69 oz) pack of Peanut M&M's has a glycemic load of only 11 (10 or less is considered low).

15 pieces = a Glycemic Load of 6.

I believe the 1.69 oz. pack has about 250 calories! I don't know how many cal. are in 15 pieces.

There are many more nutritious foods to choose from, but if you had to choose a candy, the peanut M&M's wouldn't be the worst.

The question is, if you are eating low-carb, you wouldn't feel the craving for candy, anyway! So, why stir up the hornet's nest?

Besides, maybe if nobody saw you eat the broken ones in small nibbles fast enough (within 15 min.), from your child's pack, with a diet Coke and some pineapple on your birthday while standing, you wouldn't even have to think about any of this!
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 426/406/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I remember reading about a guy who ate a bus. Took him a while... but he chopped it up and ground it up and eventually he ate the whole thing.

Now THERE is a great low carb snack?

Got a craving? Go out to the garage and eat your kids tricycle!!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 10:12

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

There are some people on the forum that come across as so judgemental and superior that I never post in a thread they're in because I think they'll be derisive of anything I have to say.

There are some people on the forum that come across as so intelligent and educated that I feel like a moron in comparison and won't comment on what they have to say because of that.

There are some people on the forum who are so needy for attention and get into these cliques and make enemies and decide who they like and don't like, who lord it over everybody like they know everything BUT, if you read them long enough, you'll find that they're actually liars and frauds. Hmmm, wonder if anybody here recognises the person I'm talking about (how 'bout you, PF?). I only point out this person because they were particularly abrasive. Yes, they're gone, too, and thank Goodness

**I apologize for any irritation I may have caused in the past and apologize in advance for any irritation I'm sure to cause in the future **

Last edited by nikkil : Thu, Jan-12-06 at 10:20.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 10:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkil
There are some people on the forum that come across as so judgemental and superior that I never post in a thread they're in because I think they'll be derisive of anything I have to say.

There are some people on the forum that come across as so intelligent and educated that I feel like a moron in comparison and won't comment on what they have to say because of that.

There are some people on the forum who are so needy for attention and get into these cliques and make enemies and decide who they like and don't like, who lord it over everybody like they know everything BUT, if you read them long enough, you'll find that they're actually liars and frauds.
Sounds like dealing with people in life in general.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 11:53
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Quote:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the line telling a person they're wrong became taboo. Part of taking an adult perspective on life is being able to point out error, and being able to withstand being told that one is in error.

Hassan I Sabbah's most famous quote, and reputedly his dying words, were "Nothing is real; everything is permitted."

I beg to differ. Reality exists, and we're living in it. If we want optimal health, then certain things are clearly NOT permitted.

I become upset when people repeat beliefs which have little or no basis in fact. I'm pretty OK with the water belief (which gets challenged from time to time), because it is important to drink water when one is primarily in ketosis. I'm more upset by the "you need SOME carbs" myth. My generic challenge is to name one disorder caused by underconsumption of carbohydrates. Like alcohol, there simply is no need for a human being to consume a single gram. What upsets me most, because it is in utter defiance of reason, is the idea that a Pemmican-based diet is unhealthy because of the higher bio-availability of the food: if you eat it, you produce one sixth the normal amount of waste. By their logic, you should be eating sawdust.

(Now watch as someone says there is no way that taking a dump only about once a week can be healthy).
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 13:27

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
What upsets me most, because it is in utter defiance of reason, is the idea that a Pemmican-based diet is unhealthy because of the higher bio-availability of the food: if you eat it, you produce one sixth the normal amount of waste. By their logic, you should be eating sawdust.

(Now watch as someone says there is no way that taking a dump only about once a week can be healthy).

It doesn't really fit in this thread, but I have to comment.

I'm amazed at the number of people that post constipation threads when the only problem is that they don't go as often as they use to (I realize that, for some people, constipation is a real problem - that's not what I'm talking about).

It's well known among pet owners that if you feed your pet a small quantity of good quality food, they don't poop as much and it breaks down quickly. I never have to clean up our yard after our Australian Shepherd.

It works the same for humans. If you are eating good quality food, you don't need to go as often. If you eat tons of junk, you go a lot, because there's a lot more waste. People that start eating low carb usually were eating poorly before and become alarmed when the amount of waste decreases sharply. Doesn't mean there is a problem.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 16:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:

There are some people on the forum who are so needy for attention and get into these cliques and make enemies and decide who they like and don't like, who lord it over everybody like they know everything BUT, if you read them long enough, you'll find that they're actually liars and frauds. Hmmm, wonder if anybody here recognises the person I'm talking about (how 'bout you, PF?). I only point out this person because they were particularly abrasive. Yes, they're gone, too, and thank Goodness

**I apologize for any irritation I may have caused in the past and apologize in advance for any irritation I'm sure to cause in the future **

I'll plead the fifth... especially since they occasionally find their way back.

Remember, though... a little irritation is necessary sometimes. Ask the oyster.

Judy- thanks for the info. I'd bet the articles I read were like the ones that portray Atkins as the "bacon diet". They take a grain of truth and make a whole sandbox out of it. (Or, in this case..a Beach, I suppose. )