Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 13:35
Brit Happens

Plan: x
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Go you! Sorry bout the jelly leg though- what gives? (Other than the leg. Sorry sorry )
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 14:03
Brit Happens

BF:

Quote:
have to switch to the slow and easy route

There's worse Slow and steady wins the race. The WAP cardio is pretty tame IMHO. But not so tame I'm going to upgrade any time soon.........
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 14:10
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Are you calling me a tortoise?
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 07:06
Plemorphist

Weights 25 min.

leg lifts 10 reps each side
10lb dumbell squats 20 reps
10lb dumbell kickbacks 10 reps each side
10lb dumbell rows 20 reps each side
22lb barbell hammer curls 20 reps
22lb barbell rows 20 reps
10lb dumbell concentration curls 20 reps each side
10lb dumbell oblique bends 20 reps each side
10lb dumbell overhead tricep extensions 15 reps, last with bent arm 20 sec hold
3 sets 20 crunches ab roller
80 micro crunches (have to get the big muscles tired first, then tuck chin to chest, curl up tail bone, push lower back into floor and pulse crunch, very small, very concentrated and focus on your pelvic floor and very lowest abdominal rectus section for the ladies: you can feel the same muscles work as when you do keigels.) at least I think it was 80, I kept loosing my ability to count!
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 12:13
Brit Happens

BF:

Not a tortoise, a good girl *cracks whip*
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 09:14
Plemorphist

Still having a problem with fatigue. I have fine moments, but not all day long. I was "up" for 3 days with the GTG. Coming back down just left me a little drained. Going to take this week off, then do weights Friday. Might slip some easy yoga in here and there. Wouldn't hurt to meditate in tree to calm me down and work the core muscles. I doubt standing on one foot in one spot will do much damage! Will start back up on monday.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 08:25
Plemorphist

Jec the wicked task mistress has succeeded in getting me back on track with sufficient amounts of guilt. Always a good strategy. Cycling: 10K 40 min. yoga stretches after. lunges. cobblers pose. reclined hero (with pillows, I'm too tight. again.). forward fold. down dog. half moon (with support. no balance. need to work on that.) up dog.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:18
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

down dog, half moon, up dog

Do I want my dog to half moon me????
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:24
Plemorphist

my hand was not in the air, it was resting with fingertips on objects for support, or my face would have been on the floor. my balance was nonexistant this morning.

Last edited by m1whowaits : Thu, Sep-02-04 at 15:47.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 09:26
Plemorphist

down dog

upward facing dog
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 15:41
Brit Happens

BF:

Regarding my Evil Taskmistressness I can dish it out but I can't take it can I? Must try harder.

There's a "too tight" joke in there which I just can't bring myself to liberate. Where's Mischa?

Nice one on the yoga, kohai.

xxx
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 09:40
Plemorphist

Default Tortoise Girl episode #1

With regards to the release of HGH. If my understanding is correct, with the release of HGH during aerobic activity there is an intense feeling of nausea and sometimes if intense enough heaves. Well, considering my cardio has been on the road, knee buckling and dry heaves upon reaching this point have not been an option. Therefore my cardio has been less intense than HIIT or 20 MAS, but more intense for me than what I had been doing. So upon reaching an HGH release I burp. I know it's not from swallowing air, I consciously breathe in and out through my nose. If mouth breathing begins, I slow down because I still have to get back home. And it only occurs after a period of aerobic activity. So what's your point, you are asking? After my recent fibro relapse, traditional cardio is out the door. Tortoise girl is in the house. I walked, yes walked, nothing I did could be construed as power walking or jogging in any way, shape or form. After a period of sustained forward motion of say 40 minutes, I burped. Not as intensely or deeply as with hard cardio, but I surprised myself by burping nonetheless. After maybe 10 or 15 more minutes more, I did it again. My point, an HGH release can still be achieved with a slower steady activity if the duration is long enough. So is born tortoise girl. The catch 22 of fibro is no activity and you'll just atrophy into a useless lump, too much exercise and you'll end up an unmoveable knotted mass. You have to find the right exercise for optimal condition, find the right balance. My search for balance is on. If this evening, I'm not a knotted mass on the couch, this will be a good sign.

Day 1: 5K walking 54 minutes.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 09:49
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Liz, where did you hear that burping was a sign of HGH release/production ???
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 09:52
Plemorphist

I was assuming if the extreme nausea was a sign then anything unusual stomach related during exercise could also be. Am I wrong?
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 15:37
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lizzy:

I didn't even know you had a gym log.

Lizzy, ya got me stumped. I've never heard of burp-related growth hormone.

Seriously, I never get nauseous from exercise so I'm no expert. The nausea can be from from lactic acid buildup OR growth hormone release, from what I understand. In the case of fibro, high lactic acid/low growth hormone levels are pretty typical.

I don't think growth hormone is released unless the cardio is high intensity and the effort intensity also increases from previous sessions. So training diminishes the growth response as you adapt to the stress. That's why hormonally correct exercise includes progessively intense HIIT b/c the surge in growth hormone offsets the increase in cortisol.

Since you've switched from HIIT to moderate/low intensity cardio, I'd have to guess that you aren't getting a growth hormone release and therefore the burp would indicate something else.

How's my convoluted logic?

Quote:
The catch 22 of fibro is no activity and you'll just atrophy into a useless lump, too much exercise and you'll end up an unmoveable knotted mass.
Very true! You'll find the balance. It's fabulous in itself that you are able to lift weights. It's a sure sign of being able to mend for someone with fibro. Keep up the great work Lizzy! You've come so far!

BTW, I've had to cut back on HIIT as well. I just find that it fatigues me too much. Maybe I don't release enough growth hormone in response to this kind of exercise or it increases cortisol too much, I don't know. When I switched to moderate cardio, I felt much better and even felt the "high" which I never got with HIIT. Rob Faigan mentions that if you do moderate intensity cardio, then do one wind sprint at the end of your session to get a bit of a growth hormone surge in order to be more hormonally correct.

LOL, I think I wrote WAYYYYYYYY more than you wanted to know.

Wanda