Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:32

Plan: card addicts
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 64 inchs
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for welcoming me everyone.

thenewme: it's suppose to be addicted2crbs but I missed a few letters when I registered. My hubby told me after reading atkins that I was a carb addict , so it just sorta stuck. You all can call me Tina if you'd like.

Talk to you on Monday.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 23:00
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

So, so, so, GLAD a new challenge was posted! I was sad earlier today because our September one was over! I am definitely in! I lost about 5 pounds last month, so 4 pounds is possible for me! My start is 165. Looking to hit the 150's by mid November (my B-Day, can't think of a better present!!!!!). Thanks guys!
Bust 41
Waist 31.5
Hips 37.5
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 23:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

This is my third attempt to write a reply. It keeps disappearing.

Busy past few days here, meeting deadlines. Not trying to forget any of you. When I don't reply, please know I still peek in but not always time to post.
Your encouragment to each other means the world to me, and I mean that my friends.

We welcome Tina, aka addicted2s if I got that right. That means she is addicted to sweetness, as in her hubby. No HC's for this chick. no sireeee.

We welcome DStarr, who is a star of a Low-Carber. You might have to fight off your cats for your tuna supply now, I bet! Keep shining!

The October Challenge

THENEWME: 1st-187 9/30-117
MAUREEN: 1ST-260 9/30-245
ANNIE: 1ST-211 9/30-181
SUSAN: 1ST-175 9/30-150
DENISE: 1ST-175 9/30-160
TERRYLYNN: 1ST-298 9/30-262
ALEX: 1ST-200 9/30-189
FISHBURG: 1ST-275 9/30-241
KAREN: 1ST-257 9/30-239
HEATHER: 1ST-190 10/1-134
VIRGINIA: 1ST-255 10/1-166
MDKLIMESH: 1ST-177 10/1-161.5
SHEILA: 1ST-233 10/1-172.5
TINA: 1st-251 10/2- 234
DSTAR: 1st- 187 10/3-165

Monday is Report-In Day for whatever weight and measurements we want to claim. Just a general amount of inches will suffice, don't you agree?
Can't wait to read on Monday or Tuesday all the wonderful letters we all sent out! A smile on 14 envelopes across the world. Fourteen people who are hearing they were/are important in the life of someone. Maybe if we can't think of anyone, we can find a child who would love to get a letter, even a neighbor's child!

THENEWME: Sorry to hear of that horrible situation with that guy. The bottom line is, he knew what he was doing was illegal in bribing you, and he has to live with himself. The other thing is that it is over, you are alive and well, and that is what matters.

Tired, will check in on Monday.
Happy weekend all,Annie-Pie

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 23:23.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 06:12

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Everyone!!!

Want2bfit - I will keep the mammogram appointment - I have been having difficulties with my breast recently. Blood chemistry and pap test is normal. Mammogram is next.

TheNewMe - better safe than sorry. It was better to give him the money than take any chances with a man like that.

This has been a busy week for me - planning a outing for my girl scout troop. I have Cadets (12-15 year olds). I just discovered that both schools that my girls go to (in different school districs) have Friday off next week!!! So we are going to Salem Ma. for a fall excusion!! I will have a 10 Hour drive from NE Ohio to Salem Ma.!! I will have 5 girls and one other mom in my van. We are leaving Thursday and returning Sunday (late). I have to figure out how to eat low carb while keeping the girls happy!! Have to work out the menu plan next. Any Ideas?? Salem in October - this will be a spooktacular trip!!!

My weight is not budging this week - I think I have been in the car & phone too much and not enought exercising!!

Take care all and have a great weekend!!
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 08:01

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Good morning all! Well it's a lazy saturday morning... just taking care of the kids and housework... fun fun fun huh? Nothing new really... yesterday wasn't a good lc day... started great, but then my thyroid meds started messing with me... had littel panic attack... going for more blood work MOnday. I think my hypo thyroid might have flipped back to hyper, thus explaining the fast weight loss I have been having. I think my doc is going to want to permanently kill my thyroid. That's ok though. I am tired of the yo yo thing. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.. sound horrible, but it's just auto immune thyroid disease that doesn't know WHAT it wants to do!

Gotta run... talk to you all at weigh in on MOnday!!!
Susan
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hey, is there any way I can join this October challenge? I'd love to have a month of accountability

Meg
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/115/115 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Everyone... its me again.

Denise - Glad your honey and you worked things out. Your lucky he is a sensitive guy. Your right everyone grieves differently. Rollerbladding sounds like fun and what a great workout.

Fiona - I am going to have to try that pancake recipe... I miss those. Also I used to have a thyroid problem years ago and it just went away one day. I think I ran it off...lol. But I dont think mine was as bad as yours.. let me know what the doc says.

Want2bfit - Proud of you doing a mile walk even though you were tired... sounds like it was the radiation... it can take the energy out of you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Tashi - You work at Curves... what a inspiration that can be... that is a nice place. I wish there was one in my town. You keep going there and you will be wearing your spagetti dress next summer... I am proud of your 7lb loss ... 243. That is great.

Stacysheil - Old buddy old freind... Wow... those jeans fit you... what a great feeling isnt it... its always nice when your clothes feel and look better. Hey about those measurements I am going to do it across my breast, waist and hips. Also that LJSilvers and ice cream sounded so good but I dont eat like that anymore and honestly I dont miss it at all. I do miss potato chips :-(((. I just glance at them at the grocery store... the sour cream and onion and barbecue were my favorites.. I dont dare buy em cus its true you can't eat just one!

Zuleka - What part of Texas did you move from? I live in the Dallas/FortWorth area... I just moved here from Oklahoma ...how I miss Oklahoma.. isnt that something. Always wishing we were somewhere else.

Mdklimesh - Blueberry muffins... I love those things... I used to put blueberrys in my pancake batter and eat about 5 of em... gees then I wondered why I was used to weigh 187 pounds. I have changed my eating habits so much... but those low carb muffins sure are good.

addicted2s - That is a cool name...would have never guessed it. I could see how your hubby would say that cus since I started losing weight and counting carbs and watching what I eat.... my hubby says I need a pyscho doctor cus I am obsessed with food....they just dont understand what this means to us...at least mine doesnt he has been thin his whole life.

DStar96920 - Hey girl!! Glad your here I sure did miss seeing your little kitty.... I love cats. I have one... I used to have two but my little girl "Shelby" passed away in Feb... I still have her brother "Wolfie" he looks like a wolf but he is as gentle and loving as they come. Welcome back girl.

Annie Pie - Hey lady... where did you say your letters disappeared to?... Thanks for the sympathy about my accident(s)... gees that guy was horrible but I am glad its over .... some people!! I called my insurance company and told them all about it ...she said to me that if he felt he could take care of himself with that amount of money I did the right thing... she also gave me an estimate on how much I would have paid on insurance and she said it would have been an additional 430 bucks every six months for a rear end accident....whew I got off cheap then. I shake when I get behind the wheel now... I hate accidents.

Fishburg - Let us know about your mammogram - I will keep you in my prayers. Also I agree I am glad to have paid that 150 bucks and not gone thru all that hassle. Have a great and safe trip... sounds like fun!

Meg_S - Welcome to our forum... and yes accountability is good when your trying to lose weight. I am glad you are.

Well everyone talk to you guys on Monday when we all weigh in... how exciting... I am happy to talk to you all..... if I forgot someone... it was not intentional... I am happy you are here too... till next time Good Luck to all and remember everyday God gives us is full of love and hope.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:58

BF:
Default Welcome, Meg!

Welcome, Meg! Let's all do a drumroll for Miss Meg, who is only 2 pounds away from being queen of the month! Please share with us how you have managed LC'ing. Any down times? Boredom? Stalls? We wanna know how you've done it! Welcome!

The October Challenge

MEG: 1st- 190/152.5

Annie-Pie

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Sat, Oct-04-03 at 19:01.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/198/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy

Yikes!!! You forgot my name on the rooster!!

I hope all you guys and gals are doing good!

Well I gained a pound!!!! I'm at 175lbs. God help me!!!! <<--- drama queen.

The good news I measured myself and I have lost....drum roll please......

Chest 1/2 inch
waist 1 & a 1/2 inches
hips 1 & a 1/2 inches

I do have to admit, for the first time, I went over my carb limit.
I took my daughters to see a wresting match, I didn't eat before I left the house, nor did I prepare anything for me to take with me. I just thought to myself... ok I'll work it off this week at the gym, which I will!!!

thenewme: I lived in a small town just outside of Houston called Katy
oh... how I miss it. Life in Miami is just too fast paced orme, people are rude.

Well, I must run. Hope you all have a great Monday....blah
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 15:32

BF:
Unhappy

Yikes!!! You forgot my name on the rooster!!

I hope all you guys and gals are doing good!

Well I gained a pound!!!! I'm at 175lbs. God help me!!!! <<--- drama queen.

The good news I measured myself and I have lost....drum roll please......

Chest 1/2 inch
waist 1 & a 1/2 inches
hips 1 & a 1/2 inches

I do have to admit, for the first time, I went over my carb limit.
I took my daughters to see a wresting match, I didn't eat before I left the house, nor did I prepare anything for me to take with me. I just thought to myself... ok I'll work it off this week at the gym, which I will!!!

thenewme: I lived in a small town just outside of Houston called Katy
oh... how I miss it. Life in Miami is just too fast paced for me, people are very rude.

Well, I must run. Hope you all have a great Monday....blah
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hi, thanks for the welcome! I'm actually up at 155 right now and haven't updated my stats. Gained weight this summer on my 9 weeks of vacation (phew!)

My initial experiences with low carb were 4 years ago as a teenager where I would do induction for a few weeks then go back to normal eating for 4 mos or so then try it again. Over the years I've worked it into my life, and my husband's as a lifestyle, it's just the way we eat. To be honest, I like it better than the way "normal" people eat because 2) it makes me feel fantastic b) I find the quality of high carbohydrate foods on this continent to be very low relative to Europe so it doesn't even seem "worth" it. If I'm going to eat stuff I shouldn't, why not wait until I can have the best and truly enjoy it. I'm sure most of you have experienced the giving in to a craving (say bread or icecream) and been disappointed because it's not as good as you were imagining it.

Never get bored, I find so much excitement in creating delicious meals that there is no way I would get bored. Too many options, too good tasting.

If you go through a period (say Christmas weeks) where you lose control (happens to me every time) don't freak out at the weight gain and start binging and give up. Just say, ok so I have to get back on track and do it, being stricter than normal and allowing yourself periodic cheat meals. I believe that say a once a week cheat meal or day is better for losing weight than allowing a small treat like a low carb goodie every day. If you're just maintaining, fine, but you can't lose weight if you're having "just a bite" of chocolate or cake every evening, or a small glass of wine.

Stalls.. For the last 2 years I have been close to 150 pounds. At one point I was 150, last summer.. but I started out a couple years ago as basically sedentary and have improved my body composition and appearance immensely with the addition of weight training and frequent hiking and high intensity cardio. Toyed with the Body for Life eating plan and there were just too many carbs for my body.

I feel like I am at a biologically healthy weight and at a good fitness level. But I'm about 5-8 pounds away from my desired appearance, everything is great except my belly and upper hips.

Tips: the most important things I think are to seek out creative and delicious meals so that you don't crave higher carb things. Who needs bread when you're eating green beans in butter and flattened pork in a wine mushroom cream sauce? Also, EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!! You can lose a ton of weight but your butt will still be flat, saggy or big (depending on your body tpe) if you don't firm up the muscles, and your legs can't look firm and attractive without good muscle tone. Also exercise stimulates the lymph system, your metabolism, raises your energy levels and improves your mood/self esteem and outlook on life.
Fitday is invaluable when you're going through a "focus" period to lose fat.

Oh, and never feel guilty for not eating when someone wants you to. THEY should feel guilty for trying to hinder your attempts at becoming more healthy. If you are dying for a treat, just tell yourself "I can have it on this day, and it will taste better because I waited for it."

Whew! Long winded, thanks for the welcome - I hope I didn't come across as lecturing or anything, I'm SO not. Just starting typing and it all blurbed out. Kind of frustrated with people I know who are doing low carb and can't stop complaining about it...almost blaming me for their woes because I am a huge advicate for it. I'm like, I understand how you feel, but don't you feel lucky for having found something that works and has so many options?

Meg
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 18:33

BF:
Unhappy

Sorry guys, for the double entry. I just remember, our check in day is Monday. I have always done it on Sundays, I forgot.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 21:17

BF:

Zuleka at the wrestling match
Lookin' mighty fine
Has a hoot with daughters, yes,
But hungry all the time.
She'll work it off, and work real great
To exercise real hard
Heads will turn, and say "OH YEAH"
'Cuz her "buns" are all low-carb!

Sorry, Zuleka for omitting you! Please forgive me...you are welcome here. Don't get down on yourself about the weight. The inches matter, too! Now, what about that letter????

Hugs, Annie

The October Challenge

ZULEKA: 1st-186 10/3-174

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 21:19.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 03:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

The October Challenge

SUSAN: 1ST-175 9/30-150 10/6-148

HI all. I'm down 2 pounds from start of challenge. But I'm not feeling real well today... my thyroid is whigging out on my.... going hyper I think....Going for blood work today. I've been very anxious and emotional.

Susan
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 04:38

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

SUSAN: 1ST-175 9/30-150 10/6-148
HEATHER: 1ST-190 10/1-134 10/6-134

No loss for the week. I've worked so hard. I can only hope I'm gaining muscle with all the exercising I'm doing. I usually don't measure every week but here's what I measured yesterday as compared to the last time I measured.
Sept 17 - Oct 5 = LOSS
boobs 40.5 - 39 = 1.5
under boobs 36 - 34.5 = 1.5
waist 29 - 28.5 = .5
pooch 32 - 31.5 = .5
high hips 37.25 - 36.5 = .75
low hips 39.5 - 38.5 = 1.0
thighs 38.25 - 37.75 = .5
weight 138 lbs - 134 lbs = 4 lbs

6.25 inches and 4lbs lost in 2.5 weeks (18 days)
I guess when you look at it that way it's not so bad. I guess I was just hoping induction would be like it was the first time. Ya know, 7-8 pounds in a week.

Good luck ladies.
Heather