Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:24
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Still 194

I am still at 194, BUT I have lost 5 more inches over all. I know I said I wasn't going to weigh in till next week. I just had to get that off my chest. Good going Molly. At least someone is losing here.
Denise hopefully Debbie can help you out, I know nothing about sugar-busters. Sorry, but I am doing the same thing on Atkins. Hopefully the woosh fairies will come and take some of our extra poundage next week. We'll see and good luck to you all.

Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/159.6/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thanks Amber for your support too! I guess you're in the same boat as me. (Except, I think you had some trouble sticking to plan over the weekend (if my memory serves correctly)

Let me know how Atkins works for you!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 13:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/157/130
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default stumbling blocks from the secret to low carb success book

i am by no means an expert, maybe molly or someone with more experience would be more help, but i will list the stumbling blocks that are in the book.

this is the book by laura richard.
stumbling blocks that she lists are:

1. too much carbs particularly refined being the most common reason for limited success.

2. refined vs natural carb. ( with sb we should already be doing this though)

3. hidden carbs. she explains that the best way to uncover hidden carbs in a food is to analyze the counts on the nutrition label to see if they add up. the simplest method she says is to use the rounded values of 9 calories per gram of fat, 4 calories per gram of protein and 4 calories per gram of of carbohydrate to calculate the total calories. if the nutritional values do not add up to the total calories figure on the label, the manufacturer has probably rounded down the true carbohydrate content. some manufacturers just remove the fiber count from the total carb count. both of these practices allow the total carb figure to appear lower. coffee is an example. many people assume that black coffee is carb free when in fact it is 1 gram of carb per cup. some flavored coffee have more. if someone drinks a considerable amt of coffee with artificial sweetener and cream the carbs add up. sugar free mints and gums are another one.

4. overlooked carb such as some deli meats and balsamic vinegar.
artificial sweeteners.
cheese: most varieties are about 1 gram of carb per ounce.
eggs: contain about 0.6 yo 1.0 gm of carb.
onions: 12-14 grans per cup when chopped
sugar free food: often have substantial carbs from fillers and other ingredients. common examples mints, gum, gelatin, drink mixes, syrup.
low fat substitutes have added sugar, but we would already be checking for this.
mayo based salad: while the mayo and chicken say would be ok, onions and sweet pickles would be.
mayo substitutes can have 4 grams of carbs per tablespoon.
restaruant salad dressing.
seafood substitutes
non dairy creamers.
fillers hidden in dishes such as meatbalss and meatloaf.
spices and cooking additives such as curry powder 4 gram per tablespoon onion powder 5 grams garlic powder 6 grams.
milk. 2 percent have 11.4 grams of carbs.
instant tea.

Disguised sugars, but we would be on the look out for these

now it goes into too little carbs. she says that several of the authors believe that taking in too little carbs over a long period of time can ulimately lead to slow wt. loss. the result is a sluggish metabolism. she notes other low carb authors disagree with this theory.

ok, i need to take a break but i will continue to post later more points she makes, i have four kids though, so it is hard to be here for too long.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 14:59

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks Debbie! That was an awesome amount of info you gave out. I will look at what I'm doing and see if any of that applies.

I appreciate you taking the time out to help me especially with 4 kids! If you ever need anything, please let me know!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 18:07

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Denise Sweetie!

I can feel your frustration! I am so sorry. Its just maddening when the pounds don't come off.

There could be any number of things delaying your weight loss ... I would suggest that you post several days worth of menus. Maybe we can spot something.

Meanwhile the authors talk about this on pg 242 in the book...

they list the following possible causes:
too many legal carbs
too much snacking/cheating
not exercising
genetic predisposition to fat storage
supplemental hormones

For myself I have to keep my calories above 1500 in order to keep losing. If I drop below that I stall out.

HTH
molly
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%

Holding steady this week.

No loss, no gain!
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 11:09

BF:
Default Thanks for you support Molly!

Hi Molly,

I am home today with the stomach flu. I didn't know I was sick yesterday, till last night while I was doing the Firm workout, I noticed my stomach cramps. After the workout, it was all over for me! That alone could be why the scale didn't move...

other possibilities: Eating too many starchy carb servings
(when I eat pasta, I'm sure I eat more then the 2-3 servings if a serving is only a 1/2 cup) BUT I exercise at least 3-4 times a week fairly strenously so I should be burning it up.

genetic predisposition to fat storage (I know this one is true! LOL!!)

Peanuts! I eat peanuts everyday since my weight has stalled. I was thinking about this today. I think I will remove them completely from my diet and see what happens next Wed.

Thanks for your ideas as they are always helpful!

Denise
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 15:49
Golden Greek Girl

Default Denise

I am stalled and have been for about 3 weeks and just started eating peanuts, because everyone was telling me to eat more calories. I found some that have hardly any carbs after you subtract the dietary fiber. I was doing the atkins shakes (the powdered ones) and everyone told me that was stalling me or the splenda. So I stopped all of them and added the peanuts and more supplements, that atkins suggested. I took away everything I added since induction, but I only lost 4 pounds after that which was since the last week in August. I lost 7 pounds my first week of induction and nothing the second week. This is a little harder than I thought. Or am I making it that way???

#54   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 11:33

BF:
Default Amber

Hi Amber,

It sounds like your're in the same boat as I...and I think everyone's body reacts differently to all the different diets.
I am going to continue tweaking mine and see if there is any
difference next Wed. I don't want to give up on SB just yet.
It's the only WOE I have actually stayed on for this long! LOL

Someone also told me that cheese can make you stall. Maybe
cut out the cheese and see if that helps too.

I think we both need to add and eliminate different stuff in our diet to see if that makes a difference and then we can compare next week.

Thanks for sharing your stall with me and hopefully together we can figure this out. For me, I am cutting down on my cheese and eliminating all peanuts for now and drastically cutting down on the starchy carbs.

BTW, I don't think you are making it hard, you have lost a total of 11 pounds and that is a good loss so far. You will probably see the scale move next week.

Thanks again and lets see what happens next Wed!! Good luck to you and I!!!!
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:24

BF:
Default To Amber and anyone who has stalled

Check out this site:

http://stores.yahoo.com/carbsmart/outout.html

(A friend of mine sent it to me today via e-mail) It might make you feel a little better and keep you motivated!

It helped me!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 15:52
Golden Greek Girl

Default Thanks

Thanks for sharing. If you need any links let me know, I have a ton. Recipes, vitamins etc. Just visit me in my journal or pm me. Oh yeah I think I may have seen a loss of a pound or 2, but not saying till next week, because sometimes I bounce. Good Luck

#57   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:00

BF:
Smile

Okay, thanks Amber! I appreciate it! I will definitely keep you in mind...I hope that loss stays with you and more on WIW!!!

Good Luck over the weekend!

#58   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 02:11
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 197/187/165
BF:
Progress: 31%

I started 8 days ago at 89.5 kg and am now 88 so that's OK. I have been a Weight Watchers dieter on and off for years and I too always had a pattern of a fortnightly loss, not a weekly one. Also my cycle definitely influenced my weight. I have now had a hysterectomy and it will be interesting to see if the "cycle" problem still happens. Anyone else had experience with this?

I think I still want to think about calories - not actually count them but keep clear of most high fat stuff??? Do others do this?
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 10:34

BF:
Default Hi Sally!

HI Sally,

Welcome to our board! I probably should be looking at calories, but I haven't been. Actually, that's a good idea since I'm not good at portion control! I just hate counting stuff!

You' ve given me something to consider that's for sure...Sounds like you are doing well just starting out. I'm happy that I'm not at least gaining if you know what I mean!

If you read my journal, you can see what an idiot I am! LOL! It's pretty embarrassing to write everything down about what's going on with my WOE...

Anyway, good luck and talk to you soon.

Denise
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 04:58

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Whoooeeeee! I'm doing the Happy Dance

I'm down 3.7# this week!
Very unusual for me to lose that much in one week but I'll take it!

molly