Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 03:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
Thanks Larry and as I said I'm staying on the high D supp for now and plan to retest in a few months. But do you have a reference for the 200 ng/ml toxicity ref? (and why on earth did I call you Ken? brains are scrambled, sorry).
The Risk of Additional Vitamin D

The weight of published evidence relating to vitamin D toxicity shows that the lowest 25(OH)D concentration causing hypercalcemia is greater than 500 nmol/L (200ng/mL) (Fig. 2 [20–24]) (25). Patients exhibiting hypercalcemia with a 25(OH)D concentration less than 500 nmol/L were taking vitamin D as infrequent but extreme doses.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think blood levels of 150 ng/ml are common in young people out in the sun all day, like life guards IIRC.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 13:43
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Take more D

...Nutrition.. [Epub ahead of print]

Breast cancer survivors and vitamin D: A review.
Hines SL, Jorn HK, Thompson KM, Larson JM.

Division of Consultative and Diagnostic Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, USA.

Recent evidence has suggested a role for vitamin D in breast cancer prevention and survival. Studies have reported an inverse relation between vitamin D intake and the risk of breast cancer, improvements in survival after a diagnosis of breast cancer in women with higher levels of vitamin D, and vitamin D insufficiency in up to 75% of women with breast cancer. Preclinical data have indicated that vitamin D affects up to 200 genes that influence cellular proliferation, apoptosis, angiogenesis, terminal differentiation of normal and cancer cells, and macrophage function. Vitamin D receptors have been found in up to 80% of breast cancers, and vitamin D receptor polymorphisms have been associated with differences in survival. Although ongoing studies have investigated a possible link between adequate levels of vitamin D and improved cancer prognosis, breast cancer survivors may derive additional, non-cancer-related benefits from adequate vitamin D levels, including improvements in bone mineral density, quality of life, and mood. Maintaining adequate vitamin D stores is recommended for breast cancer survivors throughout their lifetime.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...m&ordinalpos=14
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 03:47
Registered Member

BF:

That's an interesting paper.
In the concluding paragraph they say
The goal of therapy is to maintain a serum 25(OH)D level of 30 to 50 ng/mL. Maintaining the serum level at lower than 80 ng/mL poses minimal risk of toxicity, regardless of vitamin D intake.
This is a step in the right direction although many of those who have been following the research as it is published consider that levels up to 90ng/ml mark may be more effective to assist cancer treatments
Mercola has some useful contacts in the Vitamin D world
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 17:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Sencha Green tea, 3 cups a day
Spinach, Broccoli, Cabbage, Blueberries, Rasberries, blackberries and strawberries.

Yogourt, olive oil, onions, garlic, turmeric, fish, dark 70% chocolat, red wine, soya, and isolate whey protein powder.

My father passed away from cancer in 2006, he was very advanced and i have been following reseach from then on. I have read many books. Please read all the info on each foods i have given you they are considered power foods, have been tested and are some very powerful stuff to fight cancer along with the current treatments you are getting.

Also drink plenty of good filtered water and get yourself into an infra red sauna that works very well to.

Some expert say that cancer is caused by acidity in the body PH being to high, well low carb diet will just do that, make sure to check your level of acidity and try to get your body more alkaline, the foods mentionned will do juste that.

I am a semi low carber myself, limite all high glycemics but i still eat all the cancer preventing foods listed above, i am at high risk because my father got it and grand father too.

Good luck in your battle and hope i was able to help you out.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 20:00

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal31
Some expert say that cancer is caused by acidity in the body
Association is NOT causation! as you will hear on this board in reference to fat and CVD. Let me explain.

Because of the Warburg effect, cancers derive most, if not all, of their energy from anaerobic glycolysis. Pyruvate is produced from glycolysis and, in a normal cell with mitochondria, following one intermediary step, it enters the citric acid cycle (also called the Krebs cycle) where most of the cells energy is produced. In a cancer cell, the mitochondria is defective so the pyruvate is converted to lactate. Since the lactate cannot be converted in the cell to anything but pyruvate, lactate builds up inside the cell until the concentration differential across the cell wall causes it to exit in to the intercellular space. This is what causes the acidic environment in cancerous tumors, not the other way around.

Because the acid breaks down the collagen that holds the cells together, this helps open up the tissue so that the cancer and "invade" the adjacent tissue and even break thru the blood vessels which is how metastasis starts. Here is a sequence of pages on "How Cancer Grows'". There are other intresting pages on the Cancer Warrior the you might to look at.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 04:56
Registered Member

BF:

Cancer as a metabolic disease Readers may also find this help understand the ground rules of an anti cancer diet.

If you find it a bit hard going skip to the section
Implications of the hypothesis to cancer management this not only explains the importance of calorie and glucose restriction but also points out that some cancers can use ketones .

Recent studies suggest that the green tea polyphenol (EGCG) could target glutamine metabolism by inhibiting glutamate dehydrogenase activity under low glucose conditions. This and other glutamine-targeting strategies could be even more effective when combined with energy restricting diets, which lower glucose levels while elevating ketone bodies.

Nephropal's recent Green Tea blog In the comments section here I explain how to make GREEN TEA from green tea leaves. It's quite easy to make and very nice to drink if made properly.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 10:53

Thumbs up

Thanks guys i will look into this, for green tea the leaves are always better buy in bulk i never ever use bags because they contain nothing.

The japanese green tea are better they have so much more EGCG then chinese green tea, i find they taste better too.

That would mean taking a glutamine supplement would not be very good would it, and that a low carb diet would fit right in for prevention.
I just finish reading everything link that was posted and this reseach is very recent which makes it all better.

My father during chimo was given HMS-90 a whey protein complex and whey protein does have glutamine in it? i am mixed up a bit on this and the study i have just read.

Also what to do if you cannot tolerate ketosis? i have been on keto before and has long has 2 months but the effect when i am on ketosis is really not fun, i feel fuzzy, lost.

Not sure if there is a way to counter act this effect.

I have bough and read 2 books on cancer prevention in live on Montreal, Canada and the author is pertty big here he made some amazing discovery and as a weekly show on tv, Dr Béliveau, he does talk about cell suicide and more but never touched the ketosis subject.

Fish oil, Turmeric, are just a few of the natural foods that have anti inflamatory proterties.

I am looking into UDO choice oil as well. Thanks again guys for posting theses links, if we can help people with cancer, and others to prevent it i am all for that.

Last edited by realdeal31 : Thu, Feb-04-10 at 12:18.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Do any of you all remember the big too do over DCA? It is a chemical that cuts off cancer cells ability to use glucose. They're forced to used ketones, or die. I remember they said it wouldn't work for all cancers because apparently some can use ketones.

Not sure where DCA research stands right now, I know a lot of cancer patients were experimenting on themselves.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:

Tumor cells will continue to evade apoptosis (death) as long as they have access to glucose and glutamine, so providing glucose or for some cancer cells glutamine will allow them to survive and proliferate.

More about glutamine feeding cancer here

Last edited by Hutchinson : Thu, Feb-04-10 at 13:29.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Tumor cells will continue to evade apoptosis (death) as long as they have access to glucose and glutamine, so providing glucose or for some cancer cells glutamine will allow them to survive and proliferate.

More about glutamine feeding cancer here

Animal and human studies that have investigated the use of glutamine-supplemented nutrition in the host with cancer suggest that pharmacologic doses of dietary glutamine may be beneficial.

CONCLUSIONS: Understanding the control of glutamine metabolism in the tumor-bearing host not only improves the knowledge of metabolic regulation in the patient with cancer but also will lead to improved nutritional support regimens targeted to benefit the host.

Ok now i am confused? they say in this study that taking extra glutamine might be benefical? WHAT
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 19:49

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have seen green tea capsules. Would these be worthwhile?
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 07:46

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
I have seen green tea capsules. Would these be worthwhile?

I would go for the green tea leaves, its natural, do some reseach on the green tea extract, i have seen they are good but i rather take the real thing.

Also i use Opti Men from ON for my multi vitamine and i do have some green tea extract in there.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 08:08

Default for me cancer is not fully understood

From all that i have read, there is still strong controvercy in there.

Cancer is no longer what people used to beleive an older person disease, right now everyone can get cancer.

Since my father passed away i have spoken to many oncologist, and have eard many theories.

The low carb diet and ketogenic diet are some of the theory i have heard, same has PH acidity, and more but again there are 50/50% chance and its different from one person to the other.

If cough on time the chances of successful recovery is great, my father was stage 4 it was to late, still some people say with the PH diet they where able to reverse the cancer others not.

Some studies say green tea is unproven while others say it cures cancer, and the list goes on.

My father was eating a lot of veggies and fruits, limited red meat sugar and processed foods, he was very active, cross country skiing, hiking, volleyball and weight lifting plus stationnary bike 1 hour a day. He was a very slim men at 5 feet 7 he weighted 140 pounds all is life.

The best bet for cancer is to get screened each year, its better to eat a well balance diet from fruits and veggies, more veggies then fruits and limite all process foods and choose fiber carbs instead of starch.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 10:23

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

my mom ate an organic high vegie diet and made up her 'anti cancer' drink in a vita mix which consisted of all the vegies on the list....she didn't eat fruit because of digestive problems.
unfortunately, it didn't work. so i won't be following that advice.

also, as a raw fooder in one of my previous lives, i met many trying to cure themselves but never met anyone who succeeded.
yes, i've read about them but never met any. that's telling.
i will not follow all this vegetarian hype. it ruined my health.

sorry for the rant. in the lc world we are trying not to make the same mistakes, i think?