Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 05:29

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

...and I hit a new low weight the morning after the poulet au porto.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 08:04

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Yay Gwynne!

Thanks for answering my question. I might try thicken-thin/not starch (or whatever it is called) b/c I don't have cornstarch or any other thickener in my kitchen. lol
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 08:38

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I had my Julia Child day with 2 of my girlfriends last Saturday. It was a riot. I have never used so much butter and cream at one time in my LIFE!

I am proud to say that my friend Jo and I make a killer Hollandaise sauce
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 11:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but Julia Child did have breast cancer in the late 60's or early 70's. She underwent a mastectomy. I kind of think that was one of the reasons the whole butter-and-cream love affair ended. !

I had not heard that either - but even in her introduction to the 2001 40th anniversary edition of her cookbook she still defends her cream and butter and says that back in the 50s when the cookbook was conceived (before the obesity epidemic) no one worried about butter and cream!

And in another thread here about Julia someone mentioned that in her memoirs (which I have bought but not read yet) she says that when she and her husband began to put on some weight from her cooking they cut down on the starches and sugars (e.g. *carbs*) to drop the weight, not the cream and butter - and that at the end of her life she was quoted as saying that she always made sure of getting at least 6 tablespoons of oils/fats daily, and at least 2 of those had to be butter as she felt getting her saturated fats was important.

I bought the cookbook too and I love it, but most recipes are too labor intensive for me make in the evening when I get home from work, so would be a weekend thing only. So far the only recipe I've tried is the Coq au Vin, but it was absolutely awesome - the most delicious thing I have ever cooked. I used a tbsp of coconut flour where conventional white flour was called for, and the sauce still thickened up nicely. The most exciting part was setting the dish aflame! I was sure I was going to burn my house down,
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 11:14

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

We covered the whole meat/dairy/breast cancer thing here....
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=401379
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 11:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I bought the cookbook too and I love it, but most recipes are too labor intensive for me make in the evening when I get home from work, so would be a weekend thing only. So far the only recipe I've tried is the Coq au Vin, but it was absolutely awesome - the most delicious thing I have ever cooked. I used a tbsp of coconut flour where conventional white flour was called for, and the sauce still thickened up nicely. The most exciting part was setting the dish aflame! I was sure I was going to burn my house down,

Haha. I've been flambe-ing for a few years because I love Alton Brown's steak au poivre recipe (which is also LC), and every time I do it I still get a big pan lid and use it as a shield because I fear the worst. What does she have you flame in the coq au vin, cognac? Can't recall.

I'm also running into the time conundrum. I don't mind spending a few hours cooking but I also really want to eat before 7pm for my intermittent fasting. With the beouf bourgignon I did it by spreading the process over 2 nights.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 13:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
What does she have you flame in the coq au vin, cognac? Can't recall.

The recipe calls for cognac, but all cognacs at the local discount liquor store were all wildly expensive. I just could not bring myself to pay that much money for something I was just going to burn away. So I used some brandy that I had.

I hear you about the time thing too. I like to eat dinner before 6 PM and then not have breakfast before 10 AM to have a bit of a fasting window.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 05:29

BF:

My weight dropped another half pound this morning. I've been hovering just under 170 all summer due to eating just enough carbs to maintain, I suppose, although I certainly kept planning every week to get back in loss mode. But having the significant other *also* doing LC makes it so much easier to stick with it--the rice isn't there to tempt me to have just a bit of it, that sort of thing.

I didn't do anything *too* Julia-ish last night, although I sauteed mushrooms according to her techniques to go on bunless burgers (actually made it into a thick mushroom gravy once the saute was done). I also made some blueberry scones with carbalose flour, at the husband's behest, and honestly those things tasted so good I have severe doubts about that carbalose. It just seems like it should violate some natural law for a baking product to taste good *and* be reasonably low-carb. So I keep wondering if they snuck real flour into the bag, that kind of thing.

That said, I ate two of the things, and still dropped weight this morning (I'm sure this will begin the usual ping-ping soon), so I'm pretty optimistic about my upcoming crepe plans with it. I think I'm just going to use Julia's crepe recipe straight from the book and not try to get fancy with making adjustments for the carbalose, and just see how it comes out.

Coquilles St Jacques is also on the list, next time my grocery store puts scallops on sale. The weather here keeps stubbornly refusing to dip under 70s/80s on the weekend, but when it does I'm going to make more beouf and also coq au vin. I'm going to make a run up to Trader Joe's this weekend to try to find some reasonably priced (okay cheap) wine for cooking.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 08:04

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...254#post7904254
Fat Fiends II

I'm x-posting to the Fat Fiends II thread because everyone over there is very enthusiastic about butter and cream and mayo. Fellow "Julia" foodies may be interested in the High Fat threads on the boards too:

here's a link to the search page of older fat enthusiast threads...take a look!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ghlight=fatters
Fat Fiends- Original thread

High-fatting: anyone care to join me?

High Fatting 5/08/2008

High-Fatting: 3/31/08

Any "high-fatters" out there?

the older threads are at the bottom and the more recent rise to the top...

Last edited by deb34 : Fri, Sep-18-09 at 09:49.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 08:35

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Does Julia's coq au vin include blood?
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 08:57

Quote:

are you kidding? I "bloody" hope NOT! I don't have the book but you better believe that anything with blood in it will never ever be made or eaten by me!!!

My uncle used to try to get us kids to eat blood sausage, I still want to throw up thinking about it....
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 09:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee

Blood?? Nope, no blood.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 09:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
[X
here's a link to the search page of older fat enthusiast threads...take a look!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.php?searchid=1859773

Hmm, when I try to click on that link I get message: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 09:34

BF:

I think super-traditional coq au vin is thickened with rooster blood or something. Julia doesn't go there, but she certainly has plenty of other stuff that ranks high on the gross scale for me.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 09:35

I'll try to fix it... I've posted the individual links to each thread. I hope they work now.

Last edited by deb34 : Fri, Sep-18-09 at 09:50.