Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 06:44

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
If you have experienced any or all of the following, please comment on whether you think these claims are true or not true?

Please only post based on personal experiences and avoid giving references or quoting studies, etc......

The point to this thread is to see how much variance we have in results with our experiences as we search for ways to control diabetes.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Claim # 1

We can increase insulin sensitivity, add healthy years to our lives, lower our insulin levels by:

eating a diet rich in vegetables

eating fish high in omega 3s

balancing that out with Vitamin E

eating monounsaturated fats like nuts and olive oil

getting the right amount and right kinds of protein

doing resistance training

Exercise is important because we increase blood flow in our body. Resistance training creates insulin sensitivity to that muscle.

As a general rule, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and brown rice are low on the glycemic index and help stabilize blood sugar. Cut out the white stuff - sugar, white flour, white potatoes and even white rice.

Eating vegetables does help me since they are low carb foods. Nothing happens on the meter.

Eating fish is good as well. No real impact on my meter. I should state I am a type 2.

Eating fish, meats and veggies minimizes my needs for bolus injections, which I use to compensate for carbs and keep my reading down below 100 with peaks not exceeding 120-140.

I eat nuts too; mostly cashews, but I need to limit how much I do eat.

Exercise definitely helps keep my BG down. A half hour walk will lower by BG considerably; in fact I have to be careful it doesn't go too low. I believe this is increasing insulin sensitivity and suddenly my "normal" Novolog injection for a set amount of carbs becomes too much if I exercise and thus I get a low down into the 60s. 60s are OK but they are definitely as far low as I like to go. I get those weird feeling in the 60s and further down.

White stuff is inviting an out of control peak. I limit grains when I am behaving properly, which is most of the time. Forget rice, potatoes. But I succumb to pasta now and then and must bolus for it and bolus again a couple of hours later to keep it from getting completely out of control.

Resistance training is good for me as well and this reminds me that I need to get back to it. I am walking a 1/2 hour a day on hilly roads; getting ready to up that back to 1 hour. I need to get back to resistance training too. I stopped going to the gym while my wife was seriously ill last year and the expense is something I don't need, but I can do it here at home too.

Ralph
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 06:48

BF:

Quote:
Claim #2

These are the right kind of proteins and we should eat from a variety of these sources:

Nuts, like Brazil nuts and Walnuts
Beans - (also a carb and an incomplete protein)
Grass-fed Beef (rich in Omega 3s too!)
Fish (rich in Omega 3s too!)
Chicken
Eggs - especially from Chickens fed a high Omega diet!
Yogurt & Kefir (adds calcium too!)
Milk and Cheese
Fermented soy products like Tempeh and Miso
Grains

Well maybe I should try the brazil nuts; I always like to have cashews, but I cannot eat too many.

I love beans, but we don't have them too often so I cannot comment.

Beef, I wish grass fed, but I also supplement my Omega 3 with Krill Oil two tabs per day.

Fish, chicken and eggs. I eat 2-3 eggs each morning. No my cholesterol is not an issue any more. I take 1000mg of niacin and 2 baby aspirin each day and my numbers are now 134 overall with hdl around 60; I have always had good hdl and overall numbers below 200.

Cheese yes milk very limited; avoiding carbs but I do love milk.

Don't know about soy products.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Claim #3

When we take in an excess amount of protein, it will be converted to a carbohydrate and then stored as fat. Protein is not an efficient source of energy for our body. Energy should come from our stores of fat, not from the protein we eat.

How Much Protein Do We Actually Need? Only 15 - 20% of our daily calories should come from protein.

The amounts sound about right 15-20%. We end up high fat and about 20-30% carbs. This is what I have been journaling. When you say not efficient I have always understood it took more effort for the body to convert protein to "energy" thus the goodness of low carb higher protein higher fat regimens help with weight control and loss.