Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#526   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 12:26

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

My message wasn't clear -- buy the least expensive bike that you can find that you LIKE, but remember that you will need tune ups for the bike, miscellaneous bike repairs --- and since all bike shops have their own owners and distinct characters and different focus -- go to all the bike shops in town and find out which you like.... BEFORE you need to have something repaired.
Sponsored Links
  #527   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 15:43

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Hey Prof, going to start riding very soon! Just ordered the bike of my dreams -- hope I like it when it arrives! Got a good deal on it too: the retailer had discounted it $100 because the manufacturer is coming out with its 2009 model; then they discounted it a further 5%; then I got 10% off from the online coupon!

Ain't she sweet?

http://www.dahon.com/us/glidep8.htm

Last edited by ImOnMyWay : Tue, Mar-17-09 at 15:53.
  #528   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

gweny70, you only weigh 293 or so, you aren't that big. I started riding again when I weighed well over 300 pounds!

As to the Wally World bikes, yes they will get you from point a to point b, however I would really recommend going to the local bike shops and see what they suggest. I know Giant has a couple of really nice, simple bikes that are under 300 dollars on my local shops floor! In fact one is called the simple. The other I'd suggest looking into is the Suede. Both of these bikes are available as coaster brake models that are very dependable and few complicated parts.

Schwinn also has a few nice bikes, but don't buy the ones in the big box stores. They are not the same bikes as the ones your local shop will have. And there are many more brands out there worth the time to consider them.

I rode a Kmart Huffy for 3 years, I spent well over 150 dollars keeping my 90 dollar bike performing. I still had to make compromises. The shifters never really worked right, and I had to skip a gear as the bike never wanted to stay in that gear.

There are also other areas where the quality of the components is just not there. You don't need to spend 1,000 dollars on a bike to get a good one, but I think you should spend more than 90 dollars to get a functional one.

You are also not going to want some skinny tires nor do you want the big knobby mountain bike type tires, look for a cruiser or comfort type bike. You will then be riding in a more upright, comfortable position.

The biggest thing is to buy a good bike and the right bike to fit you and your riding needs. Unless you know how to fit a bike to a person, please take my advice and go to a local shop. If you don't get a comfortable bike that suits you and your riding needs well, you won't enjoy riding and will eventually quit. Or hurt yourself, and that is also no fun.

There is a resouce on the web that I visit frequently, it is http://forums.mtbr.com/ There is a forum there for riders classified as Clydesdale's. http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Don't be offended by the name of that forum and you can overlook that this is primarily a mountain biking site. There is a lot of great info for larger riders there, check it out. There is also a commuting forum on that site that is also a great source of info. A lot of the people on that site are like me in that I have a coupe of bikes and not only a mountain bike.

Good luck!
  #529   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 07:10

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Many years ago I purchased a big-box clearance bicycle by Murphy for about 75 bucks. I really wish I hadn't, as I knew so little about bicycles that I didn't realize that it was WEAK, that its assembled parts were cheap, and I think the worse part about it was that really no one wanted particularly to repair it, as of course all the bike repair shops knew it was a shoddy inferior product.

It did get me riding again, but I'm certain that I spent more than a couple hundred bucks on it which, if I'd known better, I never would have.

I wish that I would have gone to the bike shop first and at least learned what a STURDY heavy duty bicycle was supposed to feel like.
  #530   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 10:54

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

If the temp holds steady here I'll be riding the road bike by the weekend. Unfortunately the temp is supposed to drop.

That being said I did get out with my youngest son on Sunday and Monday. We took his training wheels off on Monday and he can finally ride a two wheeler!!!!! No road bike when you ride with him. He's 7 years old and makes frequent and unexpected stops. I did get on my WW Schwin bike to ride with him.

Glad to see this thread alive again.
  #531   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: diabetic regulation
Stats: 264/225/180 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi all,
I haven't been here for awhile and was pleasantly surprised when an email notification hit. Glad to see people still participating. I was on a great site for recumbent trike riders and it was taken over by spammers for a while. It took the admin's quite a bit of work to clear it up, but by then many folks had left.

The last several months have been somewhat of a roller coaster for us here, so my riding has really fallen off. I'm hoping to get healthy enough to start again soon. When I started with this group I was riding a road bike, had to give that up, bought a recumbent, sold that and bought a recumbent trike. It's great and it let me ride nearly pain free. Got hurt anyway!

For now I'm working at getting my strength back up and the winds (and my Dr.) willing I'll be able to get back out there soon. In the mean time I'm glad I found my way back here, I've enjoyed reading the last several posts, friendly and helpful as ever.

Wakelee...way to go!
gweny70...the best feeling is finding a bike you like at a shop you like.
Camaromom, Prof, lilannie and everyone else...keep pedaling.
(note to self...dahons are pretty cool!)
Kevin
  #532   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 20:25

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Kevin, sorry to hear you got hurt, and I hope you recover fast. Was a car involved?

Those recumbent trikes look like fun. Do you use a raised flag to make yourself more visible to drivers?
  #533   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 06:01
Registered Member

BF:

Actually riding was not involved. Just an ongoing back issue that "flares" up despite my best efforts. This last time took me out for several weeks. Riding actually kept me strong for many years.

The trike is a lot of fun. I have a "delta" which sits somewhat higher but yes I did buy a flag as I hope to ride further from home this season. The whole getup is sort of funny looking, but its a blast to ride. And the point here is to keep riding. I'll link some photos at next opportunity.

I've been back to work for a couple of weeks now and its time to get going.
Have a great day. Kevin
  #534   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 08:33

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Gweny;
I was approx. your weight when I started riding a bike that my roommate found out in the alley. Well it was in the alley for the garbage man for a reason, but it got me hooked and I bought a $100 Walmart special. I'm sure my experience w/ wallyworld is not typical, but the guy told me if I ever have any problems w/ it to bring it in to him and he'll fix it/replace it for free! Well at various times the deraileur has needed adjusting, the seat kept slipping and other minor things. Every time I've brought it to him, he's fixed it and given it a tune up for me for free. I'm so impressed by him I bought him a gift card to local restruant as a thank you.

As far as weight goes, my $100 bike has not had any problems supporting me (other than the seat thing slipping and once that was fixed its been all good.

I did get to ride a sweet ($500) bike over spring break, that made me realize that I didn't have the seat high enough on the one I ride at home. So I think one of the advantages of going to your LBS would be that they could properly fit you. My knees feel so much better w/ the seat higher, I'm working my thighs more and relieving my knees.

I really want a new sweet riding bike, but I look at it this way, my $100 bike makes me work harder lol!
  #535   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 07:24
Registered Member

BF:

IMHO:
I think the point here is that IF you can find a bike with better components and is lighter and fits you correctly for a price you can manage you should go for it. You will enjoy it more and you will ride more.

As a bike enthusiast and former bike salesman, my first question always was: what kind of riding would you like to do? I based every conversation on that question. The farther you want to go, the better your bike should be.

That said; whatever you ride that makes you happy and keeps you asking for more is worth the effort.
  #536   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 09:44

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was just sharing my experience starting out riding... I'm now to the point where I feel I MUST upgrade. After I got spoiled on spring break on a decent bike, I want something lighter and faster. Bike-a-Palooza is coming up in a few weeks and am hoping to find a reasonably priced upgrade there.

Anyone else interested in posting ride reports/pics etc?
  #537   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 04:48

Stats: 425/252/199 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Bike shops can also rebuild rims so that are able to support more weight. I know in the past I have driven my shop crazy. I had bought and started riding a cannondale R600 when I was 350 plus. The sales guy thought I was crazy and kept trying to sell me something more of a mountain bike. I tore up those original rims more then once. But they ended up holding true.

Now I am wanting to get back into the lowcarb life and back into riding. I am currently to big to ride I fear, as I am over 400 lbs at the present. I think I need to take off 30 to 50 lbs before I can start to ride again. But I did it in the past I know I can do it again. One summer back in 90's I went from 325 down to 180 in just a few short months. Riding a bike is a great way to get in shape, but when you stop and have two failed marriages things can fall apart fast.
  #538   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 11:57

Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
I want to START riding for the first time since...well since I was a teen...Where I live is GREAT for riding. My problem is fiding a bike that can support my size/weight that doesn't cost a fortune...any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I still need to read back through this thread so hopefully I'll find some helpful info there.....but if you have any ideas/suggestions I'd love to hear them!

My highest weight is higher than you are now...I never let that stop me from riding...I've got an old Trek mountain bike that I've had for at least 15 years...DH wants me to get a new bike but I'm not ready to give up my old friend yet....I told DH when I lose another 80 lbs. I'll think about it!

I ride an average of 15-20 miles per day as weather permits. I live in farm country with rolling hills and country roads so my rides are always an adventure! I'm in WI so riding is limited to spring through fall...I've had about 8 rides this year so far. When DH has weekend free time we try to do longer rides of 50+ miles....I usually have a goal each season to get at least 1500 miles if I can...not bad for an overweight, 55 yr. old woman with a bad knee! The worst thing I have to contend with when riding around here is the wind.
  #539   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 19:37

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulas
Bike shops can also rebuild rims so that are able to support more weight. I know in the past I have driven my shop crazy. I had bought and started riding a cannondale R600 when I was 350 plus. The sales guy thought I was crazy and kept trying to sell me something more of a mountain bike. I tore up those original rims more then once. But they ended up holding true.

Now I am wanting to get back into the lowcarb life and back into riding. I am currently to big to ride I fear, as I am over 400 lbs at the present. I think I need to take off 30 to 50 lbs before I can start to ride again. But I did it in the past I know I can do it again. One summer back in 90's I went from 325 down to 180 in just a few short months. Riding a bike is a great way to get in shape, but when you stop and have two failed marriages things can fall apart fast.

Another way to get more out of a lower priced bike is to have the bike shop put on different rims and tires. Double walled rims and 14 gauge spokes and higher pressure tires are a very cost effective way to get a better performing bike for those of us who are generously sized....

On my city bike, I will be adding higher pressure tires at the very least due to my weight and size and due to the fact that I pull a bike trailer for shopping etc.
  #540   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 06:57

Stats: 425/252/199 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

This is true, but make sure the bike is setup for the type of riding you are doing. I had a friend who purchased a bike from walWart and added all these upgrades from the pro bike shop. The bike still weighed a tone, but he liked it. We three of us headed out one Saturday morning and went down the trail about 30 miles, he had to call his wife to come and get him.

Me and my other friend did the whole thing. I weighed about 325lbs at the time and we did a century ride. Trust me we did not set any records on our time, but still we did the distance. I just need to get to where I can ride again and I know things will look better for me. Its just trying to get there that is a hurdle.