Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#511   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
Hey Luna! Welcome to the thread.
I would recommend going to a local bike shop and talking to them. Tell them you're interested in getting into cycling for fun and as a form of exercise and need something that will last through the process of getting fit. Have in mind what you want the bike for, what kind of terrain, how often you plan to ride, how much you want to spend, etc.
They will be able to recommend something that will be best. If you find they are stand-offish or don't take you seriously then go to another shop. I experienced one shop early on that seemed to only want to cater to racer type cyclists (and it was a family type of shop, not for the elitist). But I was happy at another shop I went to.
Ride as many bikes as you can and pick what feels good. And make sure the shop you use does a good bike fitting.
I would recommend staying away from the Wal/K-mart type bikes. They're not real sturdy and unfortunately aren't always assembled safely.
I have friends that were around 300 lbs when they started cycling and have found bikes that are great for them. Two of them have Kona Hoss mountain bikes which they love! A couple of them have Specialized (Sequoia and Sirrus) bikes.

This is the Kona website... http://www.konaworld.com/
This is the Specialized website... http://www.specialized.com/bc/home.jsp

Good luck and have fun spinning!

Gypsy

Hey Luna, what Gypsy said.....

Other than the part about KMart bikes...it is really funny when going down a bluff when the brake cable that was only hand tight slips an all that is left is the front brake. The resulting tumble down the hill was Funniest home videos stuff, if only someone had a camera....not that I know that from experience or anything....

I knew there was a reason I have called KMart Kame-apart.....or perhaps it was some sort of Karma based thing for my 32 years of insulting KMart? Hmmm...
Sponsored Links
  #512   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 14:28

Stats: 200/200/180 Female 5'6
BF:0
Progress: 0%

haha gumpy!

thanks gypsy! im going to check those websites out now!!!
  #513   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 17:20
Registered Member

Stats: 300/259/225 Male 71inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Well just thought I'd let everyone know that I completed my first Half Ironman distance triathlon on Saturday. It was a beautiful 68 degrees in Oceanside, for those not familiar that is next to San Diego, and couldn't have asked for better weather. The 1.2 mile swim was a little chilly to start but not bad. I had a great ride, 56mi, and man was it hilly. One hill topped out at a 17% grade. I did the ride in 3:40 and didn't stop once. Then came the half marathon, 13.1 miles. By this time my body was dead tired, and i was starting to have knee problems. I ended up having to walk the majority of it, but I finished. Alot of people on the course, both competitors and spectators were cheering me on, as you usually don't see a 260lb guy doing a half ironman, or any triathlon for that matter. Needless to say I wasn't doing any low carb for the last month as I needed to fuel my body. Now that it's over though, back to the plan. I gotta lose another 50lbs before my full ironman next year. Hope everyone is doing well, and sorry for the long post, but I had to let people know. It can be done, just put your mind to it. This time last year I weighed 307 and the thought of running 1 mile was absurd.
  #514   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 07:12

Stats: 200/200/180 Female 5'6
BF:0
Progress: 0%

waklee thats amazing you should be VERY proud of yourself!!!!
  #515   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 07:27

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Totally inspiring waklee! Congrats!
  #516   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 07:36

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%
Thumbs down Ouch!

I went for a 20 mile ride on Saturday with my DD. Sunday, DH put a computer on my new trek, tell speed, max speed, distance etc. He wanted me to try out the bike. It was really windy, I don't know if that is what did it or not, but I fell.

I ended up getting my chin sutured back into place as I fell face first into a ditch when trying to make a turn. If that isn't bad enough, I had a really bad headache. The CT scan they did showed that I have a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I spent Sunday night to Monday morning in the hospital. I'm living on Lortab for the pain and I can't work for a week. Totally stinks!
  #517   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 15:00

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Congrats Waklee1 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waklee1
Well just thought I'd let everyone know that I completed my first Half Ironman distance triathlon on Saturday. It was a beautiful 68 degrees in Oceanside, for those not familiar that is next to San Diego, and couldn't have asked for better weather. The 1.2 mile swim was a little chilly to start but not bad. I had a great ride, 56mi, and man was it hilly. One hill topped out at a 17% grade. I did the ride in 3:40 and didn't stop once. Then came the half marathon, 13.1 miles. By this time my body was dead tired, and i was starting to have knee problems. I ended up having to walk the majority of it, but I finished. Alot of people on the course, both competitors and spectators were cheering me on, as you usually don't see a 260lb guy doing a half ironman, or any triathlon for that matter. Needless to say I wasn't doing any low carb for the last month as I needed to fuel my body. Now that it's over though, back to the plan. I gotta lose another 50lbs before my full ironman next year. Hope everyone is doing well, and sorry for the long post, but I had to let people know. It can be done, just put your mind to it. This time last year I weighed 307 and the thought of running 1 mile was absurd.

Bravo on completing the triathalon! Have you done anything lately?
  #518   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 13:03

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Is anyone biking yet? I am sick to the nines of the stationary bike at the gym and even sicker of the cold air and snow! Melt already, I have some riding to do!!
  #519   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 21:13

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hiya ProfGumby! I'm riding, but then again I'm in Phoenix so I'm always riding! Summer here can be pretty rugged though; I was riding one day and it was 122, was wishing I had ski goggles, just to keep moisture on my eye balls!
  #520   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:00

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

I want to START riding for the first time since...well since I was a teen...Where I live is GREAT for riding. My problem is fiding a bike that can support my size/weight that doesn't cost a fortune...any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I still need to read back through this thread so hopefully I'll find some helpful info there.....but if you have any ideas/suggestions I'd love to hear them!
  #521   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:06

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
I want to START riding for the first time since...well since I was a teen...Where I live is GREAT for riding. My problem is fiding a bike that can support my size/weight that doesn't cost a fortune...any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I still need to read back through this thread so hopefully I'll find some helpful info there.....but if you have any ideas/suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Visit all the bike shops in town, and ask to take a look at their WORK bikes.

A work bike is no frills, STURDY, and is strong enough to support most anybody.

Some bicycle shops will only have the very expensive marathon-type of bikes, but you want to find a bike shop that caters to people who simply enjoy paddling around.

Schwinn has several models of work bikes, but only Schwinn authorized shops can sell them.

Go to the different bike shops and tell them you want to try out a bicycle for a trip around the block, and do they have anything exceptionally sturdy as you haven't been biking in years.
  #522   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:14

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Visit all the bike shops in town, and ask to take a look at their WORK bikes.

A work bike is no frills, STURDY, and is strong enough to support most anybody.

Some bicycle shops will only have the very expensive marathon-type of bikes, but you want to find a bike shop that caters to people who simply enjoy paddling around.

Schwinn has several models of work bikes, but only Schwinn authorized shops can sell them.

Go to the different bike shops and tell them you want to try out a bicycle for a trip around the block, and do they have anything exceptionally sturdy as you haven't been biking in years.

Thanks! That is exactly what I'm looking for..sturdy work bike that I can ride around my neighborhood, on the bike paths by the river, take to the beach, etc. I hope it's even possible for someone my size to bicycle! I'm very intimidated by even the thought of trying again...but it's something I've been wanting to do again for quite some time now. So it's worth looking into at least. I found a thread on here awhile ago that linked to these bikes especially made for large folks but they were very expensive. Hopefully I'll be able to find something more reasonable.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!!! Really appreciate it!! I will be making some call and visits to some shops hopefully this week!
  #523   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:41

BF:

Say.. I just found this quote, written in the messagethread entitled, WHY DO YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz

Go to http://www.Walmart.com and look up the "La Jolla" bike - it's the bike we had as kids!!! Big wheels, BIG, wide cushioned seat, FOOT brakes, no gears. As simple as can be. I'm drooling over this bike myself right now, and I know my local store stocks these, so I'm pretty sure it's in my future.
  #524   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:43

BF:

But, also, do get to know the bikeshops in your town, so that you can decide which one you like the best, and that you believe can seriously service your bike, and do all the repairs & order parts if necessary, etc.
  #525   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 11:26

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Gwen, I'm the one that posted the suggestion about the LaJolla bike in the other thread - if I recall correctly, when I was on the Walmart website reading the reviews written by customers there were SEVERAL there saying they were larger individuals and had NO problems with it.

I don't disagree at all about getting to know local bike shops, but in this economy and if you're wanting to get your feet wet so to speak, find out if biking is for you, I'm thinking a $98 bike beats a $600 bike for right now at least (actually, I think in my local store they're only $88).