Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 12:56

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
General comment on buying sauerkraut and pickles in regular grocery stores (sorry if everyone else already realized this and I was the only dumb one) but most of them aren't fermented so they contain no probiotics. Even some of the sauerkraut that was fermented to begin with was then pasturized to make it easier to ship and have a longer shelf life. A lot of the commercially sold stuff is made with vinegar instead. In my area, I have to go to Whole Foods or Earth Fare to get the "real" ones.

What brand do you buy? I found the Bubbie's brand at The Fresh Market. I will be able to go EarthFare and/or Whole Foods the end of July when I go to the doctor.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 13:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Kefir is really easy to make, no sugar needed. It's a lot easier than yogurt, which is simple enough. All you need is the kefir grains and some whole fat milk.

From a website called "Homemade Mommy"

Making kefir is a pretty simple process – you do not need to maintain a constant temperature like with yogurt. You basically add the grains to milk, set it in a pantry or countertop for 18-24 hours and voila! Kefir! Then you simply strain out the grains and put the finished kefir in the fridge. You then reuse the grains again (you don’t need to rinse them and if you do rinse them make sure not to rinse with chlorinated water – it will kill the kefir!) in a new batch of milk. When you need to slow down the process (read: you are leaving town for a week), you just put the grains in milk and put them in your fridge while you are gone. With each subsequent batch your kefir grains will grow and you can share them with friends and family. I absolutely love that part – what a way to build a community of healthy people. - See more at: http://www.homemademommy.net/2012/0...h.ABLhdJl3.dpuf

Jean

Jean,

Do you think kefir grains can be bought at a Fresh Market, Whole Foods or EarthFare? Or do they have to be ordered online?
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 13:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC
Jean,

Do you think kefir grains can be bought at a Fresh Market, Whole Foods or EarthFare? Or do they have to be ordered online?

I don't know Judy. I used to buy them online but that was before kefir was so popular. I can't eat dairy any more so I don't know where people usually get them. My guess is keeping them going is not something a large retail establishment would be interested in doing but I don't really know.

Jean
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 15:18

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Great responses! Fox News did a piece on Gut Flora today (Sunday), nothing I didn't know already but I've read Brenda Watson's Skinny Gut Diet (and others already mentioned) so I'm vaguely familiar with the topic, but it was good to see some mainstream docs talking about it.

It's all pretty new.

"They" implanted the feces from obese humans into normal-weight lab rats and the lab rats got obese, so from that I think there is something to it.

I've tried Kombucha a couple of times, not a fan, but skinny stepdaughter gave me some that was ginger flavored and I liked that flavor, but it made my stomach feel kind of "off." We eat Bubbie's pickles and Claussen's sauerkraut when we can. Trying to limit dairy so not too much yogurt comes in the house.

I think that as long as we don't eat sugar and all its permutations, processed foods, donuts and etcetera, we will cultivate good gut bacteria. Like skinny stepdaughter says, when you cave in to sugar cravings you are just "feeding the beast within." Kind of makes sense.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 16:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

There was a brand of kefir that I used to see in supermarkets, maybe 15 years ago? I think it was called Lifeway, they had a plain variety and it was fine.

Have you tried putting your zip code into the local harvest site to see if there's a local dairy near you selling products made from grass-fed cows? I did that a while back and found a small dairy that actually delivered to my home from time to time.

Does anyone know more about what "live cultures" means and how to find out the quality of the probiotics? I know making it yourself is best but I'm lazy about things like that. I do know that some store-bought brands of plain yogurt I've tried, even those labeled "organic," have really upset my stomach and thus I avoid them. Even the plain Greek yogurt I was buying for a while sometimes had this effect. It's hard to know what you're actually getting sometimes, which is why the small dairies are a good option and can probably answer questions about how they make their products.

I have to say though that the prices for the good-quality local stuff is quite high. There's a goat milk yogurt made locally that I really like but it's $4 for a tiny jar. But since I eat it plain usually and don't mix it with other things, I just savor the small portions.

I do love yogurt salad dressing made with an herb blend or tahini and garlic.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 16:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
Great responses! Fox News did a piece on Gut Flora today (Sunday), nothing I didn't know already but I've read Brenda Watson's Skinny Gut Diet (and others already mentioned) so I'm vaguely familiar with the topic, but it was good to see some mainstream docs talking about it.

It's all pretty new.

"They" implanted the feces from obese humans into normal-weight lab rats and the lab rats got obese, so from that I think there is something to it.

Here is a similar story, but it's about selling healthy feces to help sick people. I just read this story a few days ago and couldn't believe this was actually being done.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ling-your-poop/
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 16:09

BF:

I started a jar of sauerkraut this morning. I do have my Mason jar sitting in a bowl. I have read about jars leaking/spilling over, so I appreciate all those who mentioned that.

I'm slightly nervous. I have read so much and yet some say it's perfectly safe as long as your brine covers the cabbage. Then I read where mold is present before you can visibly see it with your eye.

Now I am reading about making my own Kefir. So much of the store bought is filling with sugar. I have a hard time finding kefir without added sugar.

I just wish I knew someone who made their own kefir and I could buy some grains from them and/or at least be able to see kefir in person and make sure I am doing it correctly.

I was reading about homemade kefir at this website, http://www.homemademommy.net/2012/0...fir-grains.html. I kept thinking about Friendship Bread starter and how you have to feed it and basically throw it away or find someone who wants some starter.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 16:16

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
Whofan, if you remember the name of the grass-fed kefir that is low in sugar, please share. Good chance it might not have found its way down South, but I can hope. So far, the only kefir that wasn't super high in sugar was a low fat version that I didn't try.

I was just in the grocery store looking for it but it wasn't there. I'll keep my eyes open.

Meanwhile, all the other kefirs ranged from 12g to 25g per cup. Eventually I found, and am drinking as I type, Aleppo Original Yogurt Drink. 6g of carbs per cup, 11g fat, 140 calories. It has whole milk and live active probiotic bacteria. Tastes exactly like kefir. I don't know what country it comes from but there is writing on the bottle that looks like Turkish script.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 16:42

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?

Thanks Whofan. I will look for the Aleppo around here.

The brand of sauerkraut I like is wildbrine. They have several different varieties, my favorite is the garlic & dill. Bubbies is another good brand. I am planning on getting some of their pickles to try.

On the stomach upset some have mentioned, from what I have read and heard on some of the podcasts on this subject, a little upset can be a good sign. It means that your body is kicking out some of the bad bugs and you are feeding your good bugs to enable them to take over your gut. That is one reason I have tried to add things in slowly in small amounts. I started with just small amount of yogurt each morning, then added 1/2 teaspoon of inulin each day. As I got used to that I added 2 tablespoons of sauerkraut to lunch. Now I have started to include an ounce of raw milk cheese to one of my meals. All of those probiotics I am trying to feed by picking good sources of fiber and resistant starches.

My Dh is doing similar, though teasing me that I should go back to school and get a degree in something nutrition or health related as much time and research as I put into this!

I'm loving all the good ideas and input everyone has.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 16:53

BF:

Marieshops, what brand of inulin are you using? I have been using Jarrow's brand for sometime now.

I am not much on the vegetables that are recommended for prebiotics. I like onion and garlic put prefer them cooked. I will eat onion on a hamburger raw, but that is it. I haven't tried a green banana yet but I don't want to eat a whole banana at once. I am afraid by the time I divide it up into thirds, it will have ripened some and I will have lost the prebiotic benefits.

I have bought jicama 2 or 3 times but it has been cooked also. I made friend "apples" with my jicama.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 18:58

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?

I buy Now Foods organic inulin.

For the green banana, I get the truly flaming green, still in the box under the counter ones I only eat 1/2 of one maybe twice a week. To keep them from getting ripe, put them in the refrigerator. The peel may turn dark but it will temporarily stop it from having the resistant starches turn into sugar.

Different sources give different feedback on how much the fiber breaks down in some of the foods like onion and garlic. Everyone seems to agree that raw is best, but light cooking or sautéing should still supply some good viable fiber. Sweet potatoes, asparagus, beets, and berries are also listed by some doctors as being good sources of prebiotic fiber/rs. I use a mandolin and slice sweet potatoes and beets then bake them with olive oil into chips (my own version of Terra Chips) That seems to work pretty well - skin on and then cooled before eating. Jicama can be done same way.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 20:43

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC
Here is a similar story, but it's about selling healthy feces to help sick people. I just read this story a few days ago and couldn't believe this was actually being done.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ling-your-poop/

From the Washington Post (followed your link):
"You can donate blood, plasma, eggs, and sperm. Why not poop? Yes, your feces are perhaps your greatest untapped monetary resource..."

Isn't that a hoot???
Maybe not...
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 22:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I posted this on Marie's thread but I thought I would put it here too.

I found this great product while at Whole Foods one day.
I was standing and looking at the refrigerator with lots and lots of different pro-biotic products, not having a clue what any of it was.
The clerk came over and offered help so I asked her, if she were buying one, which one is the best. Her reply was this product called Bio-K that is made in Canada. She said that it is supposed to be the best of the best...
So I tried the Strawberry which was really good.
It's like a liquid yoghurt but it says that it isn't fermented.
It completely restored my digestive system that was badly effected by antibiotics.
You can read about it here:
http://www.biokplus.com/en_us/products
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 03:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Marie, thanks for the baking veg tip. I have been eating everything raw, forgot that I could make chips in oven or dehydrator. And to be trendy, add the Kale Chips Being the easiest, I eat most veggies raw. While Making a huge salad for dinner, also nibble raw jicama sticks, carrots, celery, colorful peppers, with hummus, which also has fiber.

WildBrine is widely available in health stores, and if you have a Trader Joe's, they manufacture TJ's one raw sauerkraut (same square jar, different name on almost the same label). There is a new Earthfare less than a mile from my house that I have ignored; will check out fermented items there, inc. kefir.

EDIT: Dr. P just posted the Five Strains of Bacteria for health. What they are good for, where you find them: http://www.drperlmutter.com/learn/r...e-core-species/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jun-29-15 at 07:40.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 08:41

BF:

I would appreciate any advise anyone has on making kefir. I have found a source that I can get some kefir grains. I read on a website that I should contact my local Weston Price Foundation for sources. The Weston Price Foundation as a link so you can choose your state, then find the closest local chapter.

I will be picking up my kefir grains Friday and she said I will have kefir ready to consume Saturday.

For those of you who make your own kefir, do you prefer raw milk or is regular pasteurized milk ok? I have read that the kefir grains prefer raw milk, but I don't have a close source for raw milk.