Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 13:57

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Well it's been awhile since I've logged in and posted. I've been really really off my lc way of eating and have gained back all I lost, of course. So disappointed in myself. It's like I've no will power at all. I know what to do, what to eat, carb counts of most foods and still can't control myself. Having to inject more and more insulin which makes it harder to take weight off. It really contributes to weight gain per folks on the Dr. B's thread. I spent a lot of time in North Florida October through February. I was able to see an endocrinologist at Mayo clinic and had many tests. Lost weight, returned to TN and within almost minutes returned to the old unhealthy habits (for me). It has something to do with the stress of being home again. A conditioned response to how life used to be with DH. Even though he is a lot more mellow, I instantly feel stressed. Also the amount of insulin and how I was instructed to use it created hypo at the least expected times. My go to it to bring it up quickly is Pepsi. Orange juice takes too long since I had a pancreatectomy and do not process foods like others. My drug of choice is Pepsi and Coke. Have 1 sip and my addiction is back. I'm not buy anymore 12 ounce cans as of now. I know that if I can get back to lc I won't have to take the insulin levels I'm on now. I'm going to start coming back here and hoping that will help get me back on track also. I'm delighted that you all have kept this thread going. I'm now going to try to remember how to change my weight and all.

Last edited by never2late : Wed, Apr-27-11 at 14:03.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 07:55

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Oh my goodness, It is sooo good to have you back. I am so sorry that you have more problems in TN.....BTW how was your weather last night & even today? Did you get the tornadoes...our friends have relatives in the Rinngold, GA area....and were waiting this morning to hear if they are okay or now!! Never have we seen anything like this April....more tornadoes than ever I think...and that one from Tuscaloosa, AL up to the Carolinas today....stayed on the ground 300 miles and it was at least a mile wide!!! Hope you come back to stay, Dearie....we all are struggling.....it is so diffiuclt. I also miss our Glo in CT...so hope she will check in once again. We enjoyed meeting and being with Pam & Rich last month when we were in FL. Keep well!! xoxoxo Vicki
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 08:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hello everyone,I haven't been on because I took a fall middle of april and sprained my right wrist,,,,just started feeling better Easter.This has stalled my spring cleaning hopefully will start next week,I'll do a little at a time so hard to move this big body.Yes Vicki the weather has been crazy all over the country,although it has been gorgeous here,somedays close to 80 degrees.Never2late,glad you are back,I hear you about the insulin,the more I eat the more insulin I need and the harder to loose,I love pepsi and coke also,don't like diet soda's,so don't buy it any longer,try to drink,water,crystal light and diet green tea.I too have gained all what I lost plus but am trying again,haven't gotten weighed but will on monday....have a good day,don't want to overdue on wrist....Glo
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 18:46

Plan: none
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 5'7'
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello ladies!! Our Grandkids from Tampa came yesterday to help at the store and stay the night. We really enjoyed having them! I'm having some problems with my blood pressure lately. The other day I wasn't feeling well and I was trying to get ready for the kids and I decided I'd better check my bp. It was the highest I've seen it. I ended up going to bed and we kept checking it. Rich was ready to haul me off to the ER. I assured him it wasn't that bad....my dad used to have silent heart attacks, the only symptom was a tight feeling around the waste. He was on bp meds. I would get him to the ER and his bp would be fine and I'd have to demand they do blood work (looking for some kind of enzymes?) and other tests. It would always show up but not by bp. My mom started having TIAs when she was 65. She had hbp, also. So, needless to say, now that the grandkids are gone I need to talk to the doc about increasing my bp med-he was concerned when I was there a couple weeks ago. I also have to come to terms with some real changes in my diet and of course the smoking doesn't help...Tonight my face was even red which kinda has me worried. BP was back up again. I know a lot of it is stress. I have to get my act together! Quickly!!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 19:20

BF:

hoosiergir, storm went on and on with lots of damage around town. We fared very well, 4-1/2 inches of rain, lots of wind at our house. We have a steel framed home and I normally don't worry. Others weren't so fortunate south of us.
glorooster, all hoosiergir had to do was speak and there you are, must be some magic in her fingers. I'm so sorry about your fall. It is hard to get everything done without having anything put in the way. Is the wrist totally healed or still sore as that hasn't been that long ago. There is a thread on this forum regarding sabatoging oneself after losing x amount of weight. I think it is true as far as body image. I'm hoping to conquer that line this time because of my health. One day at a time for me. Can't bear to look at long goal as I'll give up.
PandaGramy, glad the visit went well and you got help at the market. Don't put off visiting your doctor.
My puppy wants me and he doesn't take no for an answer.
n2l
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 05:56

BF:

Ladies, most of us are are having major problems due to our weight, poor eating, stress....intellectually, I know that when I eat low carb I lose weight, my bg goes down and my bp improves. I know that if I make the effort I can take control of those issues. And I'm sure that most of you agree that it works for you, too. I am ready to take charge once again.

Rich is probably going back to work at the hotel, which will relieve some of my stress over finances during this slow time. Unfortunately, I will be working the store alone. I will have Gail for help on Sat's until she has knee surgery, probably July. I am setting my quit (smoking) date for May 1 (may delay it for a week, we'll see). I won't be able to leave the store to get unhealthy food or smoke, so that will help!

Things have to change in my life or I will be in real trouble soon. I can't continue on this path. I need everyone's help and support. Will you join me?
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 08:27

BF:

Pam,I'm with you, May 1 it is,I have to change my way of life or I won't have a life....count me in we can do this together!! I have to get to the grocery store for salad makings,freezer has plenty of meats so all set there....I feel so much better when I am doing low carb and it's the only one that works for me when I work it !!!! My blood sugars are great on it,N2L,I can only take it one day at a time also,I have so much to loose long term is too daugnting!!!Wrist is still sore but more flexable everyday.Pam,you can do the cigarettes,I loved smoking and smoked alotttttt,(heavy smoker) no pun intended lol if I could quit anyone can,my best achievment so far,now it has to be the weight!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!...xoxo Glo
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 17:21

BF:

Glad your wrist is better, Glo!!

We will do this!! I'm gonna weigh tomorrow, Sat. BP is still jumping around. I made a Dr appt for Wed.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 18:32

BF:

Over 50s,
PandaGramy and glorooster, Let's do it. I'm really ready and am on day 2. Think that means I'm more serious this time. Never have I started during the middle of the week. I always had to have one last blowout weekend. I went to the grocery store after picking up 3 license plates for some of my DH toys. I'd had to wait at county clerks office on the chance that their computer would come back up after being off all day. People are really strange at the oddest times. A lady had plopped herself in the middle of door going into county clerks office and took it upon herself to tell everyone who approached that the computers weren't working and to come back Monday. I listened to her and went into office. She then got up off the floor and said in a loud voice, I'm first in line. Like I didn't know that and why was she telling everyone to come back Monday (after plates would have expired) and not doing it herself. The computer did come back up and got the motorcycle plates and one truck of his.
I'd made out a Etty bitty grocery list as I've gone and stocked up before and then didn't stick with it. I just read it and read it. Made me more determined. One of my "bads" is eating out so much. It really isn't the break from my day that it has been for so long. While unemployment is up it seems like the ones who have a job don't care to provide the previous effort in their jobs. My order is made wrong, or isn't what I've order. I've always been a 20% tipper no matter what. With the prices on the menus being raised (by a new menu with minor changes so if you didn't eat out often you wouldn't realize it). I'm not going to tip any longer for bad meals and service. I'm going to make my own breakfast and see how that goes, that's a #1 change. I wake up, get ready and feel compelled to hop in my car and go. I think of it as my "smoking". I don't smoke but two things I've always done is go out to start my day and have some excuse to have a Pepsi.
I'm ready to make the changes (one day at a time) that will make LC easier for me. My diabetic drugs are so high now and another incentive to get serious.
Beautiful evening here. N2L
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 05:45

BF:

I am so happy to read these last posts--and so good to see our Glo hop in once again. I also have flubbed around this last month...and yes, we eat out a LOT!!! I think you CAN eat out, but it just makes it more difficult--you have to really determine ahead what exactly you will get and then stick to it. I have a long-term goal, but yes, TODAY is my #1 Beginning-over Day...I am doing WW....but that isn't a whole lot different, you can have more fruits/vegies but GIRLS!!! we are in this fight together.....one day at a time. Pam, have you ever had or used the e-cig? I know it isn't the same as the real cigarette, but have heard it helps. Perhaps investing in that would help you to eventually quit. Just think of the grandkids---they need you, Grandma!!!! (sometimes we do wonder, but if you were suddenly gone, they would really know it!) I do hope you and Rich can keep going with your shop and keep the daily bills paid. That would be nice if he can get back on at the hotel. GLO...so sorry you hurt your wrist. Do you have a wrist brace? I fell a few years back and it hurt my one wrist---when I wore the brace, that really helped, and I wore it overnight, which really relieved the pain until it healed. N2L----so happy you didn't get hurt by the storms. I have never seen a year like this one....guess they are saying it's the worst since the Great Depression Years!!! I believe it. Okay, Ladies, LET'S DO IT, WE CAN YOU KNOW....ONE DAY OR EVEN 1/2 DAY AT A TIME!!! Have a great week-end!! Love to all!! xoxoox
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 07:48

BF:

Well we all seem to be strong and I know we can do this,even an hour at a time...n2l,so glad you are back with us,,we all need each other.Yes Vicki I do brace my wrist,it feels better with the added support and will use it while doing my cleaning this week.It doesn't matter what diet we go on whatever works for each of us,for me I am too hungry if not following low carb,and blood sugars too high with fruits...lets face it we all know what we need to do.I am going to grocery store today or tommorow,beautiful weekend here,I will get weighed on monday morning(scared)I know I have gained so much weight,the biggest I have ever been but need to keep track and it will be a incentive,have a good weekend...Gloria
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 07:53

BF:

Pam,glad you are going to Drs. bp is nothing to fool around with,hopefully with Rich going back to work will help your stress level,I swear stress is our biggest culprit on our health!!...Glo
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 12:15

BF:

I might be coming here day and night just to read success stories and get inspiration. hoosiergir, WW is a great program and it worked wonders for me in the past. If it is working for you, go for it. When my leader remarried and quit we were given a leader who was not more than someone to stand in front of us. I thought then I could do better on my own. I have a box of WW books from all the different plans they have developed since 1964. The meetings with a good leader are wonderful and full of information that each and every meeting site uses. That way you can travel and not get behind. If you get any good tips. SHARE.
Got up in a bad mood. Fibro acting up. It's the up and down temperatures. Don't know whether to have air conditioning on or heat, lol. For some reason I can't tolerate high heat or low temperatures. Going to turn the heat on now, yet outside it is comfortable. Neighborhood garage sale was today. If I could understand how to price items I'd have joined in. We are thinking of moving to Florida permanently and there is so much that I don't use or need anymore.
Have a great weekend all. I'll be back when Austin, my little Biewer, lets me. He is so jealous of what I spend my time doing. N2L
  #44   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 00:39

BF:
Smile

Good Morning: Happy May Day

Last edited by never2late : Sun, May-01-11 at 00:55.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 04:52

BF:

Happy May Day to you all.....tell us about 'Austin" will you? I don't know...is that a new pup? Tell us all about him, please. Well, I have been on WW in the past....this is a rather new Points Plus Plan....and if I stick to it, then it will work....if after a while it stops working (when I am faithful) then back to low carb......but LC wasn't working or I wasn't faithful like I should have been!!!! I am not going to meetings--that didn't work for me so well, I am doing it on-line.....they provide all kinds of help, but so far I have been too busy to read a lot of it.....but I keep track of food I eat and count the points (on-line) and it works that way. Yes, I will share....everyone have a great Sunday...it rained here sometime in the night (what else is new? doesn't seem like rain will ever quit!!!)---we need for it to dry off so the farmers can get the corn planted--and the magic date for that is May 10.....!!!!! Love to all, Vicki
Closed Thread