Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 15:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157/150.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I had my thyroid removed in May 2009. At first I was just taking Synthroid until my levels were normal but I continued to feel crappy. I suggested to my Endo that I would like to try cytomel in addition to my synthroid and he agreed. I currently take 100 mg of synthroid mon-sat and 150 mg on sunday and I also take 25 mg of cytomel daily. I can't tell you how much better I feel now taking both. I go in on the 24th for blood work so I am anxious to see what my T3 looks like compared to before.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 08:50

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt6276
I had my thyroid removed in May 2009. At first I was just taking Synthroid until my levels were normal but I continued to feel crappy. I suggested to my Endo that I would like to try cytomel in addition to my synthroid and he agreed. I currently take 100 mg of synthroid mon-sat and 150 mg on sunday and I also take 25 mg of cytomel daily. I can't tell you how much better I feel now taking both. I go in on the 24th for blood work so I am anxious to see what my T3 looks like compared to before.

not sure why you are on 2 different levels of synthroid as the body doesn't do that naturally plus it takes 6 weeks or so for the synthroid to go through the body??

re the cytomel,hopefully you are splitting that dose. Cytomel lasts for about 6 hours in the body so in order to get an accurate reading take 1/2 your dose (if you are splitting) and test 4 - 4.5 hours after that. This will give you the level of your T3 with the hormone
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can understand the synthroid level differences. It's only used up slowly. It could be 100 mg just isn't enough and the 150 one day a week is enough to sustain a slightly higher level for the rest of the week.

T4 has a half-life of one week, whereas T3 gets used up much faster.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 09:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157/150.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Maile1,
From what I read up on and what my endo has told me is that Synthroid is T4 and Cytomel is a synthetic form of the T3 hormone. Sometimes the body can not break down T4 to T3 so that is why I am on both. I am confused by your statement in asking why I am on two levels of Synthroid because I am not. I am simply stating what I am taking and what works for me. I am not advising anyone to take both. I do not split my dose per my doctor and I feel fine and have no side effects other than feeling great.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 16:06

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt6276
Maile1,
I am confused by your statement in asking why I am on two levels of Synthroid because I am not.

first I am glad you are feeling great!

the reason I asked is that you wrote you are taking 100mg of synthroid 6 days per week and 150mg synthroid 1 day per week. those are 2 different levels of the same med and it's not common to see that. no offence meant.