Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 09:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreeMe
oh.my.god. I'm middle aged???
sorry, can't continue reading, have to go lay down!

honestly! I got to that part in this thread and had to stop reading..lol
I'll trade you my 'elderly' for your 'middle aged'!
Now I'm off to wrap myself in my shawl and sit in the rocking chair and stare vacantly out the window for several hours.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 09:40

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

wow, i'm shocked to find that i am still middle....not for long, though.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 09:42

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I'll trade you my 'elderly' for your 'middle aged'!
Now I'm off to wrap myself in my shawl and sit in the rocking chair and stare vacantly out the window for several hours.

Ok, I would welcome the chance to do that! I guess that means I may be young, but I'm old at heart

Last edited by avocado : Wed, Jan-13-10 at 11:03.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 11:48

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

How funny...I always thought "old" sounded younger than "elderly", since the word elderly is generally used for folks that are headed to the nursing home, whereas old just means you have been around a long time, as in "oldie but goodie."

Okay, I can handle this playing around of age definitions...but I AM a little concerned about learning about some of the good peeps here on this board who have been doing LC for years and then become pre-diabetic... it's disturbing to me, because it's like, what if the tooth fairy isn't real?! What if we really have so little influence over the health of our bodies that it doesn't matter worth a darn what the heck we eat?!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 14:12

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This has been something that I have been pondering for quite some time now. LC does not promise to stop diabetes although it plays a huge part in preventing, treating and/or delaying the onset so we have to remember that. LC is a much better treatment for diabetes than the standard meds that we are bombarded with.

That being said, all the years that I have abused my body with various forms of sugar has caused damage throughout my system.This damage did not sneek up on me. It has been building for years and years. For me, I have had symptoms of hypoglycemia for several years before beginning Atkins. The damage had been going on for years before that. All in all, for 45 years, I have been consuming a diet that abused every cell in my body. Low carb has been at the root of my healing but I would wager that it will be many years before I am truly healed from the ravages of high carb and low fat. So in the meantime, I will keep my carbohydrate consumption low, vitamin D3 intake high, fat intake high. Because I know that if I had not been doing LC I would be diabetic by now.

I know that vitamin D also fights the scourges of diabetes so I also look to that for help. So hopefully, while I do all that I can to protect my body from this disease, my body will continue to take the next 45 years to heal.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 14:23

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Black, that's my feeling exactly - thank you for putting into words so much better than I could have. That is, all except the next 45 years - I'm pretty sure I don't have that many more!!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 14:24

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%
Default Older folks can be entertaining.

While dining at Denny’s the other day, overheard two elderly women who were having breakfast when one asked the other, “Mable, why on earth do you have a suppository in your left ear?”

Surprised, Mable replied, "I have a suppository in my ear?" She pulls it out and stares at it for a moment. Blushing, she replied, "Thanks for letting me know. Now I think I know where to find my missing hearing aid."

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Wed, Jan-13-10 at 16:27.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 14:36

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
The World Health Organization classifies people aged between 45 and 59 as 'middle age', 60 to 74 as 'elderly' and over 75 as 'old'.

Wow. My mom's turning "old" this year and Dad next year. I hadn't thought about that, it crept up on me. Probably because Grandma's 98.

I agree with the person who thinks "elderly" sounds older than "old". I envision an elderly person as frail, hunched-over, and moving veeeery slowly across the room with a walker.

I'm leaving this thread now. It's making me sad.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 14:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
While dining at Denny’s the other day, overheard two elderly women who were having breakfast when one asked the other, “Mable, why on earth do you have a suppository in your left ear?”

Surprised, Mable replied, "I have a suppository in my ear?" She pulls it out and stares at it for a moment. Blushing, she replied, "thanks for letting me know. Now I think I know where to find my missing hearing aid."

#40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 15:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Black, that's my feeling exactly - thank you for putting into words so much better than I could have. That is, all except the next 45 years - I'm pretty sure I don't have that many more!!

I see that you were born Jan of 1937. That makes you 72...happy birthday BTW. But, if you lived for only 30 more years that would only make you 102. If you spent the next 30 years healing, it will make 102 feel, well...not so old.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 15:44

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
You were diagnosed as pre-diabetic after 7 years on LC? Am I the only one here who finds that rather disturbing to my paradigms about LC being the best way to avoid diabetes? Makes me wonder if Matt Stone might actually be on to something

On what basis was the diagnosis as pre-diabetic made?
Was it fasting Blood Glucose ~(FBG), or a glucose tolerance test (GTT)?, or was it by HbA1c?
To see why this is relevant, and why LC'ers are often falsely diagnosed as pre-diabetic, read this from Hyperlipid, (Petro/Peter Dobromylskyj).
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....resistance.html

Petro also has five other articles on "Physiological Insulin Resistance" which you can find by following alphabetically down the the list of articles on the right of the page.

This may answer your concerns.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 16:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
Was it fasting Blood Glucose ~(FBG), or a glucose tolerance test (GTT)?, or was it by HbA1c?
To see why this is relevant, and why LC'ers are often falsely diagnosed as pre-diabetic, read this from Hyperlipid, (Petro/Peter Dobromylskyj).

Petro also has five other articles on "Physiological Insulin Resistance" which you can find by following alphabetically down the the list of articles on the right of the page.

Yes, this does make a difference. It was a GTT test. I am playing along just to see what happens but if it becomes a necessity, my plans are to take the hbA1c test next. I may even take it before my follow-up appt. Also, I do intermittent fasting regularly and I have allso read that IFers also tend to have elevated glucose levels. I like the opportunity to check my glucose levels and as long as I am not being forced fed meds, I want to see what happens. I want to see if I can reduce my levels without stopping my intermittent fasting or my wonderful diet. What is nice is my family is taking my LC diet more seriously.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 19:09

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin

That's very helpful and I'll try to remember some of the points to educate my doctor with my next tests. My diagnosis was after an FBG over 7 (full-blown diabetes), with a 2 hour post back in the normal range, plus an HbA1c of 5.5 -- it'll be nice to send my doc back to his books to study up on the low carbing effect on insulin resistance. I remember reading something similar before where the consensus was that a high FBG in a low-carber only meant he/she hadn't had breakfast yet!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 21:53

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Black57 - I like some of your thoughts there regarding d3 etc. Had not heard about IF causing elevated fasting glucose levels. Agree that hbA1c would be better test than GTT.

I am somewhere between LC and Weston Price in my dietary beliefs. Like Matt Stone, I feel that LC may be a good way to avoid the complications of insulin resistance, but would prefer to cure the underlying insulin resistance, rather than "hide from it" with an LC diet.

But can we cure insulin resistance? Matt Stone seems to thinks so...and that once "cured" you should be able to eat carbs just like those Weston price people from back in the day.

So yeah...I feel that a person SHOULD be able to eat natural sources of carbs with impunity, and the fact that so many can't...well why the hell not!? What goes wrong to make some folks so freakin carb intolerant?

Here's some of my suspects...

- Poor nutrition while in the womb form Mom's crappy diet
- Being fed on infant formula loaded with fructose
- Fructose and refined grains
- Sleep deprivation
- Stress
- Eating "empty carbs" devoid of chromium, B vitamins, etc
- Poor Magnesium intake
- D3 deficiency
- Excess PUFAS
- Probably some others I can't think of at this moment

In short, our diets are so totally jacked-up from Day-1, that we're being made insulin resistant from very young age. Maybe even in the womb.

I think there's a lot of things that have to be about perfect in order for a person to be able to tolerate lots of carbs in diet with impunity. I am not optimistic about reversing "carb intolerance" in our sleep deprived, high stress, poor nutrition culture.

Thus, I feel some form of carb restriction is just about mandatory for most people living in industrialized countries. Though of course not everyone.

And I do believe that fructose is by far the worst of the carbs.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 22:19

BF:

I definitely agree that good health begins in the womb. But, so often expexctant moms are told what to eat and the really don't research, they just do as they are told which is to their own detriment as well as the childs. I also believe that LC is healthy and is supports the body to dodge insulin resistance. If my entire life, including life in the womb, would have been a LC one, I would not have developed IR in the first place. Seriously, sugar has become a glorified poison. I think that by rooting out the poison and losing the fear of fats and including vitamin D3 to start is the key to good health. And I tell you, if I had the opportunity to re-experience all of my pregnancies. They would have been much diferent from what they were before.