Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgy
Plus there is another "variety" issue because I live alone. If I buy a lot of different vegetables, the food goes bad. Either I eat the same thing every day for a week, or I buy a bunch of different things and throw most of it out.

I have the same issue, and what I find works for me is frozen veggies. The flash-freezing methods used these days are really pretty good. Veggies start to lose nutrients as soon as they are picked, and they lose more and more the longer they sit around. So flash-frozen veggies, in many cases, have more of the nutrients than the "fresh" ones in the supermarket produce section - which have often been picked prematurely, spend days being trucked from California, or flown up from Chile, or whatever.

Veggies loosely frozen in bags easily let you just shake out whatever amount you need for a meal. You can easily keep a variety in the freezer. I also love some of the bags of mixed stir-fry veggies, and I do indeed love to stir-fry.

Clearly this does not work for salads, but I'm not much of a salad fan anyway. I like cooked veggies sauteed in bacon grease and/or butter, coconut oil.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
I've been trying to find dairy from grass-fed cows, but that's not so easy in a city.

I don't know what city you live in, but have you checked out Real Milk ? It might help you find a source.

I have cut back on my dairy but not given it up. However I only buy cheeses made from raw milk, and I buy raw heavy cream through a local food cooperative. I found mine via the local chapter of the Weston Price Foundation, so that is another avenue to check out.

I don't drink or use milk at all - far too sugary and carby for me. But I do love the raw heavy cream and treat myself to a pint every two weeks.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Are we related Nancy? Because it sounds like your sister and mine are twins.

LOL! I think I'm already twinned to Wyvrn! But that'd make us triplets!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:39

Plan: roughly paleo
Stats: 151/144/128 Female 5'5½"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Cooking changes cell structures, causes proteins to unfold and refold in a different manner. Nothing new about that. It must not be too bad because we've probably been cooking for 140,000 years or over a million by some accounts. Sous vide might actually be a good thing because you don't have to cook foods to such a high heat that you do with stovetop or oven cooking. As far as processing that they do in food production industry, who does that in their kitchen at home? The best thing I've had SV is a simple steak. You can use a relatively cheap cut of meat and cook it at 130' for a few hours and it lets the connective tissues that make it tough dissolve. Then sear it quickly, if you want, for a crust on the outside. That doesn't sound processed to me.

I subscribe to the theory in "Catching Fire" - I think we've cooked for 2 million years. But sous vide isn't just cooking. It's about vacuums and high pressure - techniques borrowed from the processed food industry. To keep from diverting this thread, I posted more about this in the sous vide thread here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...5&postcount=168

Quote:
I had another thought for you. Find about 3-4 things you really, really like that suit whatever diet you decide to follow. Make sure it's easy to cook and you can have it on hand all the time. For me a staple was always having bags of pre-washed lettuce on hand and I'd throw in some chicken breast and other things I like on salad. If I really like the food I'm eating I can eat the same thing day after day for a looong time. Then from there start to add to your repertory of good things to eat.

Yes, it all comes down to planning. I had a pretty good breakfast and I have food for lunch - some salad veggies and I have meat in the freezer. But after that I have no food and no plan. I need to go to the store in a bit or I'll end up at the deli again.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:41

BF:

Quote:
Veggies loosely frozen in bags easily let you just shake out whatever amount you need for a meal. You can easily keep a variety in the freezer. I also love some of the bags of mixed stir-fry veggies, and I do indeed love to stir-fry.

Clearly this does not work for salads, but I'm not much of a salad fan anyway.

I buy frozen peas sometimes, but that's about it. I have very limited freezer space, and it's mostly taken up with grassfed beef since that's hard to come by and I buy a lot at once.

Also, I confess to being a vegetable snob. I like fresh veggies, organic and picked same day if possible, and I do love salads.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:41

BF:

Quote:
I have the same issue, and what I find works for me is frozen veggies.

I just read that you say you like your salads and are fussy about veggies, so maybe the above approach will not work for you. But if so I'd just say then to be less concerned about "variety". I mean you don't have to have variety every single day. When I was eating more veggies I tended to only buy one or two choices at the supermarket. I would buy a big cauliflower and eat it every day until it was done. Then I would buy asparagus on sale and eat it every day until it was done. Then I would get a big green cabbage and eat it every day until it was done. There is no real "rule" I'm aware of us that says you must have different veggies for every meal. That's just a good way to waste a lot of veggies, IMHO, for people like us who live alone and cook for one.

Actually the last month or so I've been virtually veggie-free, on a primarily meat and eggs (and dairy) diet. It's rather liberating actually, and I have broken a several-month long stall and lost 17-18 pounds.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
Sous vide might actually be a good thing because you don't have to cook foods to such a high heat that you do with stovetop or oven cooking.

Oh man, I am lusting so madly for a sous vide machine. I don't see how I can possibly justify the expense since I'm losing my job, and my credit card balance is already insanely high (mainly from cancer treatments for my dog). I wish I could tell every single person who plans to give me a Christmas gift to "just give me $10 instead" but that never works and just insults people. They would much rather give me a gimcrack $10 object that I'll never use and will eventually toss in the trash or donate to a rummage sale.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:51

BF:

You've said a couple times that your cooking facilities are not as good as you've had previously, and you don't have much freezer space. So just exactly what sort of facilities *do* have have available? Maybe it would make it easier to come up with some ideas that might work better?
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:53

BF:

Quote:
I buy frozen peas sometimes, but that's about it.

Peas! The food of Satan! . I can still remember the horror of my mother trying to force me to eat peas when I was a little girl. One of the most wonderful things about moving away from home was the liberating realization that I would never have to eat peas *ever again*. The only use of a frozen bag of peas, IMHO, is an ice pack for a bruise or sprain.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 11:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

A Foodsaver helps keep your food fresh. I like using it with the canisters since they're easy to reuse.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 11:37

Plan: mine
Stats: -/-/- Male 178
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I can see this would be a good strategy if your primary goal was weight loss - do this as a temporary measure. But my primary goal is not weight loss, it's health. Also, I'm viewing the shift to paleo as a forever thing - how I want to eat for the rest of my life. So, like Nancy said, it's gotta be tasty or I simply won't stick to it. I need to make sure I have enough deliciousness and variety in my diet that I don't get frustrated and eat things that will harm my health. (I have a serious health problem that can be helped by a paleo diet.)

It worked for me and I'm doing the diet for health not weight loss.
Eating the same meals over and over with added variety only when i really craved it, helped me to be organized with the diet and stopping cravings for the things I should eat. I no longer eat something I shouldn't because I don't have idea what to eat for lunch or breakfast.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 14:11

BF:

Quote:
I don't know what city you live in, but have you checked out Real Milk? It might help you find a source.

Thank you!! Great resource. I did find one very excellent dairy that delivers to NYC: http://www.uddermilk.com. I just wrote to them about their delivery schedule. They have all kinds of great food besides dairy - eggs, chickens, beef, all from naturally-fed animals. And their prices are very reasonable.

Quote:
I have cut back on my dairy but not given it up. However I only buy cheeses made from raw milk, and I buy raw heavy cream through a local food cooperative. I found mine via the local chapter of the Weston Price Foundation, so that is another avenue to check out.

Again, thanks!! It turns out there is a group in NYC. Their Web site (http://www.wprice-nyc.org/) is still under construction. It might be nice to connect with them.

Quote:
I don't drink or use milk at all - far too sugary and carby for me. But I do love the raw heavy cream and treat myself to a pint every two weeks.

I like milk in coffee. I really don't enjoy cream in coffee - I don't like the taste. Maybe I'll get off coffee again when I'm out of what I have. But I have to be careful about that. Last time I stopped drinking it for a while, and then wanted it but wouldn't let myself buy it and ended up eating out for breakfast every morning (eating out = bread).

Quote:
I just read that you say you like your salads and are fussy about veggies, so maybe the above approach will not work for you. But if so I'd just say then to be less concerned about "variety". I mean you don't have to have variety every single day. When I was eating more veggies I tended to only buy one or two choices at the supermarket. I would buy a big cauliflower and eat it every day until it was done. Then I would buy asparagus on sale and eat it every day until it was done. Then I would get a big green cabbage and eat it every day until it was done. There is no real "rule" I'm aware of us that says you must have different veggies for every meal. That's just a good way to waste a lot of veggies, IMHO, for people like us who live alone and cook for one.

Actually the last month or so I've been virtually veggie-free, on a primarily meat and eggs (and dairy) diet. It's rather liberating actually, and I have broken a several-month long stall and lost 17-18 pounds.

I've got to have variety or I will not be able to stick to this. I guess we are different in that way - variety matters to me. Also, I'm really unconcerned with weight loss - that is not my goal even slightly. I'm just trying to stop the progression of colon cancer by eliminating neolithic foods that are suspected to exacerbate it. (I have ulcerative colitis and my last colonoscopy showed some precancerous changes.)

Some of the food stores near me sell packages of fresh veggies all cut up - different combinations. Whole Foods does it, and several other grocery stores near me. That's an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRealFoo
It worked for me and I'm doing the diet for health not weight loss.
Eating the same meals over and over with added variety only when i really craved it, helped me to be organized with the diet and stopping cravings for the things I should eat. I no longer eat something I shouldn't because I don't have idea what to eat for lunch or breakfast.

I enjoy eating and I want to continue to enjoy eating. It's one of the great joys of life. Each time I get hungry it's an opportunity for pleasure. I'm not willing to give that up, and it's not necessary. I just need to develop some new recipes and habits - new delicious foods that won't harm my health.

Quote:
A Foodsaver helps keep your food fresh. I like using it with the canisters since they're easy to reuse.

Perhaps, but I have no space for another appliance. My apartment is pretty small and nothing more will fit.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 15:55

BF:

Quote:
I enjoy eating and I want to continue to enjoy eating. It's one of the great joys of life. Each time I get hungry it's an opportunity for pleasure. I'm not willing to give that up, and it's not necessary. I just need to develop some new recipes and habits - new delicious foods that won't harm my health.

People who are not on a diet and claim to enjoy food and eat whatever they want and go often to the restaurant, eat always the same things. Just like animals. Even the average family of four will serve for lunch and dinner the same things at least four or five time a week.

When I chose to start an healthy diet I realized that I was worried about the lack of variety. This is probably instinctive when you give up certain foods. I was so worried about variety that I felt like I should be eating something different every day and never repeat the same meal, not realizing that even gourmets eats the same meals over and over. It's like as if giving up so many foods, triggered an obsession for excessive variety that I didn't have before.

Because of this I would run out of ideas and refuse to eat what I had eaten one or two days before and would fell off the wagon periodically. Variety is important for me but I add variety selecting different veggies according to seasons, using different spices, packing on different kind of fish and meat each month. Eating something different at every meal, as someone who don't need to lose weight, would be impossible for me and at least at the beginning alternating the same meals was necessary to get used to the new WOE. But I agree with you: even if the meals were always the same, they were delicious as I refused to eat anything that didn't taste delicious and make my mouth water.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 16:07

BF:

What might work is eating the same basic meal at breakfast and lunch and devote your dinner to try a new recipe every day or every other day. Even cuisine fanatics who post the most delicious recipes on the web, make fancy dishes only at night while still eating the same chicken salad over and over for lunch.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 17:11

BF:

Quote:
It's like as if giving up so many foods, triggered an obsession for excessive variety that I didn't have before.

I don't think that's my situation.

Quote:
Because of this I would run out of ideas and refuse to eat what I had eaten one or two days before...

This definitely isn't my situation. That's a little extreme. I just want to continue having the same amount of variety in my diet as I currently have. Maybe there are a dozen typical meals I'll eat over the course of the week, switching around. Many of these involve foods I don't want to eat anymore, so a certain number of my typical means are no longer an option. I'm just saying I want to replace these with something else.

The advice to always eat the same thing every day just doesn't meet my needs. I wouldn't be happy and I wouldn't stick to it. I don't need an insane amount of variety, but I do need some.