Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 23:01

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I've never read Berstein's book. If the AMA and ADA are all the way to the right, Bernstein and other professionals who push low carbs just might be all the way to the left. I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle......

I don't like following a crowd, don't like being average, don't like being a statistic, don't like being compared to anything, don't believe anyone has all the answers, don't believe any professional medical person is completely wrong or right...... I'd get off at the next stop, but I'd probably just get more lost than I am now....

The name of this forum is mis-leading... I don't think this forum is only for those who reference and follow Dr Bernstein's book. I think what Eddie means, is when reading many posts, it sounds like people are too afraid to think for themselves, or at least too afraid to express themselves without feeling they have to reference an expert, mostly Dr. Bernstein. When I give an opinion, it is my opinion, right or wrong, it's still all mine....

Actually, when I want an expert's opinion, this is the last place I go. I think we, who share our experiences offer a lot to each other and so, I for one, come here for to learn from other people's experiences.....

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Sun, May-25-08 at 23:08.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 06:48

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Dr Bernstein got his MD at Albert Einstein Medical School in NY which is a good school with a very strong endocrinology department.

His health is complicated by the fact that he has another autoimmune condition that affects his ability to digest food. He explained what it was in a teleconference. It is not caused by his diet, but probably by the same genetic autoimmune tendencies that led to Type 1 diabetes.

He's in his late 70s and still sees a full patient caseload, so he does not have the time some of us do to soak himself in the research. Compared to most doctors I know, though, he is far better informed. Most physicians in practice seem to know nothing about research except what the drug reps tell them and whatever is the top story of the week which shows up in newsletters.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:15

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Exclamation Bernstein and this forum

"Well, it is his forum, Eddie. "
How can this be Bernstein's forum?
He doesn't participate.
His name is in this forum's titler Bernstein and Diabetes
He has his own forum on his website.
I agree that he's a pioneer in lC for diabetes.
So was Robert Atkins.
I agree that he looks to be in good health.
I read his book.
I think it's very worthwhile to read his book.
Lots of info-some of it wrong for type2's.
For me,I tend to read Diabetes books with an open mind and
research core statements.In the long run,I make my own
regimen and don't depend upon Bernstein or my doctor very much.
About Bernstein being too busy to back up his ideas with research:
He only covers Diabetes and it's related effects.
A professional will always make time for research.
Eddie
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:33

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

In the popular mind doctors are sometimes considered scientists. But that of course is not true. A few doctors are, but few of the even PhD doctors I have gone to actually are conducting science. The closest Bernstein got to science was his years as an engineer, and using a meter. At that time he was making discoveries which were ground breaking. But he experiemented only on himself. After he became a doctor he did develope new protocols for treating various kinds of diabetics. This came close to science, but again not formal science. The dismaying fact is that his preliminary work on diet, metering and normal BGs has not ever been given a broad scientific study. It would be expensive and conducted under academic supervision. I thought I would find something like this at the UW Diabetic Clinic. It was an outpost of the worst ADA thinking.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 11:03
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
About Bernstein being too busy to back up his ideas with research:
He only covers Diabetes and it's related effects.
A professional will always make time for research.
Eddie

No university would hire him to do research. He is so far out of line with the RightThink Politik of the establishment that there is no way in hell he could get a grant. He did recently publish a paper. Some mention of it was made in the Research forum.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 11:31

BF:

I was nor referring to Dr Bernstein doing medical research.
I was simply referring to his putting a little internet research
(googling for studies etc.)on some of the concepts
and ideas he presents.His book is pretty void of references of this sort.Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Eddie
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 14:26
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I've found many of his topics are unique to Bernstein and his patients. It's the only book that explains how to do low carb with diabetes step-by-step. Atkins mentions diabetes but advises to consult your doctor.

The Bernstein diet is extremely restrictive, more so than the old ADA exchange system. In a lot of ways, it resembles the exchange system that Bernstein would have been using when he developed the diet. You were given a diet with a certain number of calories and told to eat so many meat, bread, fruit and fat exchanges per meal, with no deviation.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 17:20

BF:

The Bernstein book has very good info on insulin usage.
I'm sure a Bernstein diet is better for a diabetic than ADA.
Better yet:
Determine the amount and type of carbs that work best for
you by testing and adhere to that regimen.
Do likewise for prescription meds and/or ssupplements.
Maybe this would be referred to as common sense.
Eddie
  #39   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 17:59

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
The Bernstein book has very good info on insulin usage.
I'm sure a Bernstein diet is better for a diabetic than ADA.
Better yet:
Determine the amount and type of carbs that work best for
you by testing and adhere to that regimen.
Do likewise for prescription meds and/or ssupplements.
Eddie

you brought up an interesting point...

Assumption: Optimal FBG = 70g to 85g

What is more optimal for a FBG?

1. zero carbs daily and optimal FBG
2. 150g carbs daily and herbal supplements and optimal FBG
3. 100g carbs daily and insulin and optimal FBG

I'm trying and getting close with the #2 choice, but I won't tell anyone it is the best way to achieve optimal FBGs', because I don't know... I feel I could probably come just as close achieving an optimal FBG using method #1 or #3.....
  #40   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 18:30
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Eddie

About as rare as a diabetic with optimal fasting BG.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 18:50

BF:

"About as rare as a diabetic with optimal fasting BG. "
Well said,LCU.
Eddie
  #42   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I've found many of his topics are unique to Bernstein and his patients. It's the only book that explains how to do low carb with diabetes step-by-step. Atkins mentions diabetes but advises to consult your doctor.

The Bernstein diet is extremely restrictive, more so than the old ADA exchange system. In a lot of ways, it resembles the exchange system that Bernstein would have been using when he developed the diet. You were given a diet with a certain number of calories and told to eat so many meat, bread, fruit and fat exchanges per meal, with no deviation.

In his latest book (the post-mortem one by Vernon & Eberstein) entitled Atkins Diabetes Revolution, it seems "Atkins" does get into some detail but not nearly like Bernstein does. I agree with Eddie and RobLL for the most part. Bernstein takes a real nuts-and-bolts approach (engineering) to tackling a complex and individualized disease...

I think his genius (Bernstein's that is, Atkins* stole most of "his" methods) lies in his long term and documented empirical approach to the disease as mentioned by RobLL. As I was trained as a scientist, I am a believer in testing, probably not to the extent Bernstein is. Not only did he have access to one of the first BG monitors, he put it to good use for himself and others.

/shields engaged
/smile

* seems like Atkins main strength was as a marketer

Last edited by Korban : Mon, May-26-08 at 19:39.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 19:59
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
...It's the only book that explains how to do low carb with diabetes step-by-step. Atkins mentions diabetes but advises to consult your doctor.

In looking through my volume of Atkins Diabetes Revolution, I am inclined to agree more with you now. My defense was mainly due to the fact that it was "Atkins" book that got me started on LC and indirectly pointed me toward Bernstein. I suspect I still have a bit of a prejudice toward his "Diabetes Revolution" even though it is not...

/smile
  #44   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 07:10
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Atkins was a motivator. Bernstein is so structured that sometimes it seems as if a 12 CHO, 6 OZ PRO pill would make him happier than actually enjoying food. He may not be like that IRL, but that is what I took away from his book.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 15:22

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

LowcarbUgh,

You have to put Bernstein into the perspective that he figured out his regimen at a time when dietitians were telling people with diabetes they'd have heart attacks and die if they didn't eat 300 g of carbs a day and there were fewer insulins available, some of them very unpredictable in action and many doctors were prescribing Type 1s two shots a day of 70/30. So people were way out of control and seeing horrible complications.

He pretty much figured out his whole regimen on his own and it was a whole lot better than the alternative. There are a lot more options now but his basic idea, that we should shoot for normal, not those 7+% A1cs most doctors settle for is still good.