Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Smile Hi again!

Welcome Jolene!
How are the 50's+ treating you?
There has been some mention of thyroid here and how it relates to menopause...So here's what has happened for me with the menopause-thyroid connection.
Found out that I was having hypothyroid symptoms for the past 8 years but mistakenly attributed them to perimenopause. ( Menopause finally hit me between age 50-51)Hormone replacement therapy was supposed to help with the depression/mood swings/insomnia/lethargy/memory problems. It didn't. HRT did help with the hot flashes as did aerobic exercise about 5x a week. Once I began Levoxyl for the thyroid problem the above mentioned symptoms have begun to subside---especially I seem to have gotten my memory and more clarity of thought back again. The doctor still needs to tweak the thyroid rx/different dosage or even switch to Armour, but it's nice to have my memory back!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 08:38
I must do it for me!

Plan: South Beach influenced
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:100% needs work
Progress: 0%

Hi, I'm hoping to join this group as well. I'm 51 years old. I've been doing the lo-carb thing in full swing since Sept of this year. I'm in for life now. Hubby is a diabetic and this plan has been working best for the both of us. My daughter (who is grown) is living with us for now and she is a great help in planning and keeping us on track. Looking forward to meeting new friends!
~Bella~
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/149/120 Female 5 feet 2 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hello over 50's. I just turned 51. Don't really know my way around this site either. I just keep posting and hoping someone will 'talk to me'. My hubby's also diabetic and he's really noticed the difference in his blood sugar being on Atkins. I'm on synthroid and paxil. Haven't noticed any weight loss since I started on Nov 5 but am determined to keep it up.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Smile welcome

Hi mommycakes, and welcome. Glad to hear you and your husband are doing well on the low carb way of life. I hope the synthroid works out well for you. My experience with Paxil is that it can cause weight gain---but it depends on the indivdual's body chemistry.

Be patient---hang in there.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 05:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi ladies....I can't really jump in on menopause conversations yet, but I wanted to say hi, and hopefully this thread will pick-up a little.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 02:50
I must do it for me!

Galatia
I see you are in Mississippi. What part? I have family that lives in Gulfport.
~Bella~
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 06:05

BF:

Hi Bella. I live in the Hattiesburg area.

What are y'alls hobbies? Favorite movies, books, or other interests?
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 08:31
I must do it for me!

I know where Hattiesburg is. We lived in Saucier.
I like to scrapbook, watch movies at home, and read. Love everything from You've Got Mail to Harry Potter or Pirates of the Carribean. I read Nora Roberts, Michael Crichton, C.J. Cherryh to name a few.
How about your interest?
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 18:16
Registered Member

BF:

I love being able to talk to people all around the world.
Interests: um, losing weight haha. Reading, movies. When I get in the mood I love decorating my townhouse (painting, mouldings, etc).
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 18:47

BF:

Hi Bella and Leah.

I use to consider weight training my hobby, but I now realize it's a necessity. A couple of months ago I started playing guitar again, so that's probably my hobby right now. My favorite movies are the books by Jane Austen that have been made into movies. My favorite of those is Pride and Prejudice (the one with Colin Firth.) If you haven't seen it....I highly recommend it. I love victorian England period books and movies. I'd have to say my favorite author is Julie Garwood, mainly her historical novels. The modern day are good, but not nearly as good, IMO. I love listening to books on tape. Most of the John Grisham ones are done really well.

Bella, I like all those movies you mentioned. My daughter does scrapbooking. I just love looking through the things she's done. I've always insisted on my kids making the greeting cards they give me....and now with her scrapbooking stuff, she has made some really beautiful ones. Really nice keepsakes.

Leah, I wish I'd get inspired to do some decorating. And yep...losing weight is a daily interest for sure.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 11:47
I must do it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycakes
Interests: um, losing weight haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
And yep...losing weight is a daily interest for sure.

I think we can safely say that this is a common obsession/interest that we all share on these forums! I want to change it from losing weight to getting in better shape. Since I don't seem to be losing lately!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 21:13
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, I guess getting in better shape has to be my goal too. Weight just doesn't want to go. I'm a voracious reader so my main thing is to find a new author that I like and read all their books. I've read all of Dean Koontz, Nora Roberts (and JD Robb), Stephen King (except some of his weirder stuff like Dark Tower series), Sophie Kinsella (Confessions of a Shopaholic) and James Patterson. Anyone's favourite movie? I just saw "I am Legend" with Will Smith. Awsome! I think my all time favourite movie though is Dreamcatcher (Stephen King).
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 06:33
I must do it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycakes
I'm a voracious reader so my main thing is to find a new author that I like and read all their books.

Me too! But in the last few years my eyesight has slowed me down. I like getting older(it sure beats the alternative) I just hate falling apart!
Love Nora Roberts, J D Robb not so much. I have read a few Stephen Kings but don't really like scary stuff. My son loved the Dark Tower series, but my son is a little weird! LOL
And I really want to see "I Legend", it looks great.
Is everyone pretty much ready for the holidays or are you still running after last minute items? Wanted to go to our local Ross store but the parking lot was so full, I went back home! I might try first thing in the morning. I used to be finished with all of my shopping by November. Not anymore! Now I get out in the crazy rush at crunch time. Not by choice on my part but you've got to wait for the financing, right? My husband isn't the one that has to go in search of...! He doesn't see the problem with waiting until the last minute. Go figure.
Happy low carb day to all!
~Bella~
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 14:00

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

hi all i'd like to join your group if i may....i just turned 50 in june.....i;ve been on a lc diet for 1 year off and on i lost 60 lbs the first 5 mo...but now i lose then gain but time to get this weght off got 30 lbs to go....i do the meat and egg diet most of the time.....

bellamagia---i live in florida to..in the tampa are..and i love to scrapbook also....
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 14:09
I must do it for me!

Hi Port
I'm in Kissimmee.
Scrapbooking is another thing that needs an addiction warning label!