Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/153/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Oh, and by the way, Splenda is mostly sugar:

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_b...-You--7900.aspx
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 13:21
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbNic
Hi there - ysabella - thank you for that post. I will respond to the breakdown you mentioned above.....either IMO, or from my research, or from the source as cited accordingly

Thanks for responding.

Quote:
1. Prions -> meat practices -> vCJD
While it seems, and I had believed for years that most danger "seems" to lie in eating infected neural tissue..that may extend to meat/milk…. I think its important not to only think of avoiding ground beef, hotdogs etc and thats the end of story. For ex: There was a breakoutof CJD in PA due to contaminated cheese, they have found the prions in milk and meat of infected animals. "During the current study, Nicola Franscini and colleagues at Case Western University School of Medicine, detected prion protein (PrPC)-the precursor of prions (PrPSc)-in milk from humans, cows, sheep, and goats." For more info: http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main.asp?x=17556

Well, if PrPc can be in milk, then I suppose PrPSc could be too. Although that is not proven, there's no reason to rule it out. So that's a new development from my point of view.
There's a cleaner-looking page of this news here:
http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnit...x?name=12293532

Quote:
I think it goes back further from just the point of slaughter/meatpacking, (while I agree that needs to be much more scrutinized!), to the feed and conditions that the animals were raised in.

Oh, I agree, all of those things are important when it comes to BSE (well, let's say TSE, for all species). But even if you take a clean, safe animal and raise it on vegetable food, if the slaughtering isn't clean it can contaminate instantly.

Quote:
2. Organic vs 'conventional' vs GMO

Personally, I like to research the companies I spend money with- for example- recently I have decided to only buy Sunoco Gas for political reasons, I research the "organic" and grass fed products I buy with a simple google before purchase... its really hard in some ways unless you stay on top of things- and I agree just b/c it says "organic" it doesnt always mean organic. I do know from personal experience, and wise selecting of my products, i feel (as does my DH) a million times better health wise! I found many others online who convert to organic WOE who say their food cravings are gone, clarity of thought is much greater-- so while I am not out to do this for just selfish reasons, thats always a perk right?

That's great, and I'm glad you feel so well - but as clinicians like to say, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'

We tend to buy Shell gas, because my father-in-law works for Shell (he's a biologist).

Quote:
This article is great at explaining top 10 foods to eat organically and why http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/242 which is a good starting point for some just making the switch.... of course backed up w/ some of your own homework on the individual products available in your area, of course. It doesnt take long to do a quick google search which can make you feel better about your purchase.

I think we can all agree that clear labeling is a good idea. I'm always happy to see produce that is labeled with where it came from - I got used to that when I spent a few years living in Europe, where I think it's required. Not every store does that, here in the States, but some do. And people have to understand that Chile doesn't have the same laws and regulations we do (for pesticides or for workers), so if you really want clean produce, you should eat seasonal local foods.

Quote:
GMO is yet another reason Ive decided to go Organic. I guess what this post was intended to initially explain was my choice to go organic (which I use as a general term meaning (to me), that I have decided to buy food that is as natural as possible, with as little harm done to it before it enters the holding tank (which is my body), leaving as little negative things behind in that holding tank, and also encourages positive growth for our society, economy, and overall civilization in a nutshell.

That is much more clear, thanks.

Quote:
So, while I appreciate you breaking it down into more “digestible” groups, for me and others, these issues, to me, always overlap, and once you start really really really delving into the issues you may see the most obvious underlying problem- that i wont mention b/c i am careful about seeming too politically motivated... which until lately i will admit to being a conservative person, and while i am in many ways, i have certainly done a 180^ turn in many other ways from my research.

Well, they do overlap, I'm not implying they don't. But the message should be clear. I mean, eating certified organic beef is protective when it comes to fear of prion exposure, even if the beef came from seven states away. Eating local beef that is not certified organic, is not protective unless you have verified their practices yourself.

Quote:
3. Agribusiness vs family farms

(...)
And, definitely- consumers do drive demand. I watch "Power lunch" everyday, and actually am in the mortgage business for a living, which might sound surprising, and graduated with an Accounting degree from a AACSB Cert. school in NY, but what has all that business background taught me? From the class I hated the most- Economics 101.... i never would have thought a basic, general principle would have had such a lasting impact on me- The Basic Principles of Supply and Demand. Its simple -too simple- really.... but its sooo true. We can make a difference, each of us- and I took the incentive to start on a Micro Economic Scale (the choices that individuals make) which do have a impact on the Macro Economic scale. We dont need to do allot of damage before the major companies open their eyes- even 1% decrease in the bottom line is a major factor for companies. Thinking this way will lead to progress.

Very well put!

Quote:
I would like to talk more about sustainability, but in order to not be too repetitive (b/c i happen to be involved w/ some local restaurants, summer camps etc- that only purchase their ingredients from local farms- which is big business in my area-yay!) just go and visit www.sustainabletable.org and have fun.

That's a nice site. You can put in your zip code and get local results.

Quote:
One last thing I want to touch on - you mentioned cost-

I dont think I mentioned this yet here- although i did on my blog...

My husband and I had to eat out for the past year a minimum of 1-2x's/day..due to remodeling our house. In doing our taxes recently, we figured out that we spent an average of $39/day - a day!! on Food!!!! And we werent living it up at all- MCdonalds, Wendys, Burger King were the staples, unfortunately..... I am sorry that I supported those chains, now that i know what i do about them. not to mention the horrible health effects i was suffering, very similar to the guy in Supersize me- heart palpitations and all (not 1 heart palp since going organic, btw).....

Now, in the past 30 days since going organic, cooking almost all our meals at home, shopping generally at Mrs. Greens (i prefer to Whole foods) and eating quite well- filet mignon, expensive almond butter etc- we are only spending $21/day on food! That is HALF!!! And, we definately could be more conscious, but we dont need to be, but if we tried harder, we could probobly get it down to $15-16/day...clipping coupons, buying the cheapest eggs available thre, etc.

So, thats just some further "food" for thought

Sure, but that's not what my point was. I was talking about people already here on this forum, already eating low-carb. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.
People eating low-carb can have trouble affording the really nice options (like organic produce or local meat) sometimes, or just having access to them. I think most people on this site would choose local, would choose organic, if they could, but some can't due to cost or maybe they live in a place with only one store or what have you. Maybe they can't afford the nicer eggs some weeks, or maybe their store only has the conventional eggs. That's all I'm sayin'.

Quote:
And, i do appreciate the info, and I see that you are with me in this, and i see that you are trying to simplify things, but while i agree somewhat in breaking the issues down, b/c its typical of me to over complicate, and over personalize things b/c of my personality, I cant help but look at this simply, and see a whole lot of overlap in all the mentioned issues... after all my homework and research.

Heh. Well, I'm not trying to criticize your personality or anything, and there is some overlap between these issues. I guess I just respond better to lists and bullet points.
  • They do
  • Make everything
  • Really clear!

Quote:
But, I really agree with you that we need to have tighter laws on the term, and label of: “Organic”, which is a term that can be used too loosely in general, and I shouldnt have to do a google search on all my products to feel comfortable buying them ( i dont always, but when i have time, i do). I feel that slaughterhouses and meatpacker industry needs to be much tighter as well.

No argument there - total agreement.

Quote:
My issues w/ CJD in the USA - are as follows:

Yay! A list! I guess I just like my info easily digestible.

Quote:
1. I feel CJD needs to be considered a "reportable illness" in all states, its not.
2. The USDA is actually preventing US Meatpackers, who want to perform volunteer testing, the ability to do so -This is outrageous. They need to be able to test, and in fact- I feel we need to demand that their be more testing done, on all animals, for all forms of BSE variants. And, the testing must be in accordance to the WTO (World Trade Organization).
The US actually had the audacity to DECREASE testing by 90% READ HERE: http://www.organicconsumers.org/art...rticle_1207.cfm - THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!! The Agriculture Department still prohibits companies from doing their own volunteer tests.

Yeah, I can't agree with the USDA on that. If a company wants to test, let 'em. They want to test so they can sell to Japan, why not let them?

Quote:
3. The U.S. should immediately begin testing all cows destined for human consumption, as is done in Japan, should stop feeding slaughterhouse waste to all farm animals (see http://organicconsumers.org/madcow/GregerBSE.cfm), and should immediately enact an active national surveillance program for CJD.

Bear in mind that this will cause meat prices to go up. Feeding animals costlier food will definitely do that, at least at first. The thing with grody rendered animal offal is, it's cheap protein. I'm hardly in favor of it, though. I mean, EW. Gross.

I can think of one other suggestion after reading up on this:
4. The US and Canada should form some cooperative agreements on testing and procedures that would be binding for all North American beef.

Quote:
And, on a personal level, we should get active- contact our local representatives- and express our concerns to them. I mentioned above what you can do, and If you want more info- PM me (this is to anyone).... i would be happy to help.

Always good.

Quote:
thank you, ysabella, for the insight, and opportunity for debate and I always love challenging my own beliefs which just strengthens my own feelings .... Best wishes!

And I thank you for responding.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 13:41
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayla6
That having been said, I do not see how hunting a wild deer and eating it has ANY similarity with eating factory-farmed meats from the grocery store. Hunting has been subjected to many scare-tactic media campaigns in the past, and I caution against trusting anything you may have read about it.

The similarity is risk of prion exposure, that's all. Deer, elk, and moose in the wild can carry CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease). It appears to be endemic in the wild populations in the WY/CO/NE area. Nobody can say at the moment whether eating them will transmit the disease, though.

Quote:
I too eat nothing but organic - both meats and vegetables. I grow and can my own vegetables, I buy raw milk, cream, butter and eggs from a farm in town, and all my meat locally as well. I see no problem whatsoever eating the deer that live here too.

I don't know where you are, but hopefully there is no problem.

Quote:
One cannot guarantee against every possiblity - one can only do the best you can to build your health and immunity.

That's true, very true.

Quote:
And speaking of scare campaigns, the so-called "bird-flu" has also been blamed on wild birds, when anyone with common sense can see the diseases are originating in factory-farmed birds.

I can't agree with you there. In Asia people live very closely with their livestock, and this is what allows transmission and mutation to happen so quickly. Generally from bird to pig to human. Not a factory farm, but thousands of family farms.
Most of our major human diseases in history have come from livestock due to some mutation jumping the species barrier. Back in the day, my Saxon ancestors moved the stock into the house with them during the winter; I've seen the old houses. Or some have the barn built onto the house.

Quote:
Always remember: big business rules in the USA - and they get to tell the story on TV too - with no one to contradict them. I don't trust any of them anymore, right down to the flouride that is no longer in my toothpaste and the sodium-laureth-sulfate that is no longer in my shampoo.

On the other hand, as LowCarbNic points out, big business is still governed by the consumer - if enough consumers want something and it becomes profitable to give it to them.

Quote:
And we haven't really even gotten into the whole "sustainability" issue with huge agribusiness yet. I am also one who feels strongly about supporting local farmers. I like being able to see the animals outdoors where they belong, say hi to the chickens that lay the eggs I eat, rub the nose of the cow soon to be in my freezer. I would far rather trust the local farmer who has everything to lose if he handles the meat or milk incorrectly, than believe the USDA.

The USDA monitors your local farmer, too, though. Whether you care about that or not. State monitoring is probably more interesting, though. And meeting the cow is probably the best way.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 210/153/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

LowCarbNic,

I am sorry for you loss. While it is hard to translate human beings we know and love into hard and cold statistics, the average person does have to evaluate total risk when it comes to changing life style or worrying about what dangers may chance our way. My step-daughter died of an extremely rare cancer so I am well aware that statistics mean nothing when it comes to our loved ones. Her cancer had a 1 in 2 million occurance rate, and thus no relevant research or known treatments.

I do think risk is an important factor to consider in making lifestyle decisions. At this point, vCJD is so rare, that I have a hard time thinking I ought to change what I'm eating in response to it.

When it comes to organic...I don't really trust it any more or less than "normal" food. One of my Uncles is a big fruit farmer, and we asked him one time if you could tell the difference between organic and non-organic apples. He laughed and said "The organic ones are the ones with the worm holes in them."

When I got pregnant, I was told based on statistics for my age, there was a 1 in 100 change my baby would have some major birth defect. I'm so glad I didn't let that stop my from getting pregnant at nearly 40 yrs old. Having a child has been the greatest experience of my lifetime.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I try to worry about the things that I have control over and that seem to carry the most risk in my life. If I worried every time I got in a car or climbed on an airplane, I could make what life I do have miserable. The risks of riding in cars or airplanes along with about everything else we do are multitudes worse than possibly catching vCJD.

http://www.livescience.com/forcesof...s_of_dying.html

All figures below are for U.S. residents.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds
Heart Disease 1-in-5
Cancer 1-in-7
Stroke 1-in-23
Accidental Injury 1-in-36
Motor Vehicle Accident 1-in-100
Intentional Self-harm (suicide) 1-in-121
Falling Down 1-in-246
Assault by Firearm 1-in-325
Fire or Smoke 1-in-1,116
Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.) 1-in-3,357
Electrocution* 1-in-5,000
Drowning 1-in-8,942
Air Travel Accident* 1-in-20,000
Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-30,000
Legal Execution 1-in-58,618
Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-60,000
Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-83,930
Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting* 1-in-100,000
Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-131,890
Dog Attack 1-in-147,717
Asteroid Impact* 1-in-200,000**
Tsunami* 1-in-500,000
Fireworks Discharge 1-in-615,488

** Perhaps 1-in-500,000

SOURCES: National Center for Health Statistics, CDC; American Cancer Society; National Safety Council; International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies; World Health Organization; USGS; Clark Chapman, SwRI; David Morrison, NASA; Michael Paine, Planetary Society Australian Volunteers

IN comparison:
http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile55a.stm

How common is CJD?

CJD is very rare. In Canada there are about 30 cases each year. It occurs at a rate of about one case per million people. It can be found in every country around the world

How common is vCJD?

vCJD is extremely rare. In 2002, one case was diagnosed in Canada in a person who often travelled to the UK. Most cases have occurred in Britain. Since the discover of vCJD in 1996 up to December 2003, there have been 153 cases worldwide. Between 1996 and March 2004 there have been 146 cases and 139 deaths in Britain.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 06:28
Registered Member

BF:

jwc, thank you, I agree wholeheartedly. I was trying to say something to that effect as well and failed. There is no reason to worry over any particular food, whether venison or California spinach, since anything - absolutely anything - including the glass you pour your water in, can become contaminated with something deadly.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Variations of Low Carb
Stats: 159/148.2/128 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 35%

ayla6- Thank you!! That makes me feel somewhat better about being raised on venison. Will definately pass the info on to my dad (a big hunter) and cant wait to read your links/recomendations!

Oh- and btw-
Quote:
And we haven't really even gotten into the whole "sustainability" issue with huge agribusiness yet. I am also one who feels strongly about supporting local farmers. I like being able to see the animals outdoors where they belong, say hi to the chickens that lay the eggs I eat, rub the nose of the cow soon to be in my freezer. I would far rather trust the local farmer who has everything to lose if he handles the meat or milk incorrectly, than believe the USDA.
ROFL!!!!!! love it!

ysabella- thank you again! I agree with just abot everything you said- and your addition,
Quote:
I can think of one other suggestion after reading up on this:
4. The US and Canada should form some cooperative agreements on testing and procedures that would be binding for all North American beef.
love it!!!

jwc- Thank you for posting.... First, I am very sorry to hear about your step-daughter. That must have been difficult. And, I am glad to hear you went ahead and decided to have a child, regardless of what the stats said. I completely agree that we should be mindful of statistics, but not let them rule our lives.

Now, in order for me to not sound way too repetitive here, please go back and read one of my first responses to Dodger, who had similar statistics/links. I do not believe them. That is my feeling- b/c so many of us w/ family members who deal w/ CJD dealths, all get together on various online sites, and we all have a feeling the whole "1:1million" is BS- sorry but that is how we feel based on how many of us deal w/ this, and how this disease is not a "Reportable illness" yet in many US States- how can they come up with reliable Statistics when they dont Report the deaths, causes, or even do an autopsy to find out (the diesase is only really diagnosable upon death). Not to mention, how often this disease is misdiagnosed as other similar looking diseases, ie: Alzheimers... I find those stats are bunk! And, its not just b/c i thought my Grandpa was 1:1million (which he was to me of course) but b/c of losing him, it led me to research this, which led me deeper and deeper into the lies were being told, IMO. And, I hope Im wrong... Im waiting for someone to proove me wrong, actually... If there really ONLY was a 1:1million chance, do you think I would be here trying to stir up commotion over 1:1million... no. The point of this wasnt to only talk about my issues w/ CJD, rather to talk about my choice to go "organic". But, it ended up going way more about the CJD thing, b/c i am very skeptical of those numbers, and am passionate for the reasons you outlined.

And, I want to mention that McDonalds, for example, which has the meat of up to 1,000 cattle IN 1 HAMBURGER- 1!!!!!! Now if it is true that prion diseases can be passed along in meat (i personally feel they can be) and cooking doesnt kill the diseased prions, and even 1 of those 1,000 cattle have Mad Cow, and that 1 cow is put into - hm- lets say a couple hundred different burgers- the results- uh- would not be so pretty. This is not normal practice, this is new- they are gambling w/ our lives at the sake of their bottom line!!! That much i believe is true.

So- that bein said (not tryin to bite your head off at all!!!) I think we deserve the truth and real numbers- dont you??. I dont know if well ever know them because those who "control the seed control the food" ie: those who control the silence control the Stats.... do you know what im saying? This is- our food- after all! Please go and watch those movies and links I provided.... then come back and fill me in!

Its all very, very curious to me. Only time will tell. Only those of us who care enough can make any difference in how seriously this Gvmt. takes this disease. .....I could not live w/ myself now, knowing what i do, if I sat around doing nothing. If your more interested, or anyone for that matter, please do what i requested in my very first post- do your homework. Im not talking about what "Wikpedia" has to say.... The ugly, and possible real truth, which is out there.... I can provide more info if anyone is interested, but its a pretty easy google search. Come to some of the sites that the family members congregate at- and maybe youll see what i mean...

So- I am not trying to make anyone more paranoid, even though I might be considered "more paranoid then your average joe"...(and no i dont like to fly on airplanes, despite how safe they are but thats not b/c of a fear of death, i didnt go on my first flight until i was 16 b/c I just didnt take to it or like it at all, whereas my DH was flying since he was a tiny baby, doesnt mind it at all)... So, initally, I was Just basicaly explaining my personal choice to go organic, and I openend up a whole can o'worms...hehe....

Oh, and speaking of worms (ha).... your uncle - the fruit farmer- probobly doesnt use any pesticides or such on those apples, hence- the worms. I had a worm in my lettuce the other night, and my DH said- well - at least we know there aint any pesticides in that lettuce!! Ha.... Ill take the worms any day over the pesticides!!

Thank you for posting, and lets see if we cant agree to disagree over some of these things.

Last edited by LowCarbNic : Wed, Mar-21-07 at 09:17.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 13:12
Registered Member

BF:

I want to point out a site which lists which states report or dont report CJD. We should ALL be proactive in making sure our states report this disease! That is an important factor in understanding it. Until the 1980's, and even today, Doctors dont know much about this disease. We need to change that!!!

http://members.aol.com/larmstr853/c.../report_cjd.htm

States Where CJD Diagnosis is Reportable by Law

Information on all US Individual State requirements for doctors who make a diagnosis of CJD. Report when necessary is made to the proper state health department.

State Status Comments
Arkansas Reportable Within 24 hours of diagnosis
Colorado Reportable Listed as TSE's reportable within 7 days
Connecticut Reportable For under 55 within 12 hours
Florida Reportable
Georgia Reportable Suspected within 7 days
Idaho Reportable
Massachusetts Reportable Effective Feb 2003
Mississippi Reportable
Missouri Reportable 3 days of first knowledge or suspicion
Nebraska Reportable Within 7 days
New Jersey Reportable
New York City
not CJD??? Reportable "Mad Cow Disease" listed
New York State Reportable
North Carolina Reportable
North Dakota Reportable Within 7 days
Ohio Reportable
Pennsylvania Reportable Within 7 days
Rhode Island Reportable Within 4 days
South Dakota Reportable Listed as TSE's reportable within 3 days
Texas Reportable
Utah Reportable Within 7 days of identification
Vermont Reportable Within 24 hours
Virginia Reportable
Wisconsin Reportable Voluntary -Soon to become officially reportable
Wyoming Reportable
Alabama Not Reportable
Alaska Not Reportable
Arizona Not Reportable Under Review
California Not Reportable
Delaware Not Reportable
District of Columbia Not Reportable
Hawaii Not Reportable
Illinois Not Reportable
Indiana Not Reportable
Iowa Not Reportable
Kansas Not Reportable
Kentucky Not Reportable
Louisiana Not Reportable
Maine Not Reportable
Maryland Not Reportable
Michigan Not Reportable
Minnesota Not Reportable
Montana Not Reportable
Nevada Not Reportable
New Hampshire Not Reportable
New Mexico Not Reportable
Oklahoma Not Reportable
Oregon Not Reportable
South Carolina Not Reportable
Tennessee Not Reportable
Washington Not Reportable Reportable at Doctor's discretion
West Virginia Not Reportable
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 13:59
Registered Member

BF:

In addition- have been doing some research on companies, after debating the whole organic vs. locally grown issue (presented in this article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/a...5245-1,00.html)..

I just want to let you know Im going to begin researching the organic companies I purchase food/products from, and report back w/ my findings.

From the farms to the meatpackers I want to know more about my food and where its coming from, as i think we all should. (i say this after just reading that they are now spraying viruses on processed meats to get rid of bacteria. What?! (Dr. mercola site).

So, i will report back my findings here and on my blog

I also found This article which explains yet another problem with the quality of our meat. http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/23/diseased_meat.htm

I find it troubeling when the federal food inspector is outspoken in saying that he "eats very little meat"...

Delmer Jones, a federal food inspector for 41 years who lives in Renlap, Ala., said he's so revolted by the lowering of food wholesomeness standards that he doesn't buy meat at the supermarket anymore because he doesn't trust that it is safe to eat.

"I eat very little to no meat, but sardines and fish," said Jones, president of the National Joint Council of Meat Inspection Locals, a union of 7,000 meat inspectors nationwide affiliated with the American Federation of Government Employees. He said he's trying to get his wife to stop eating meat. "I've told her what she's eating."

.... ew- im not saying dont eat meat, but its more reason to google search the companies that you are buying from .... I am, and will be reporting my findings.

Last edited by LowCarbNic : Wed, Mar-21-07 at 14:58.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 06:14
Registered Member

BF:

LowCarbNic, that is very smart of you to investigate for yourself - please keep us up to date when you find interesting things...
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 06:45

Stats: 205/205/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I feel compelled to post.

The reason her grandfather displayed symptoms is his age. This disease can have a FIFTY year incubation period.

Our children and grandchilrden are most at risk here.

GeneThera, Inc. has developed proprietary diagnostic assays for use in the agricultural and veterinary markets.

Specific assays for Chronic Wasting Disease among elk and deer and among cattle have been developed and are available currently on a limited basis.

E.coli which is found predominantly in cattle and Johnne’s disease also predominantly cattle and bison diagnostics are in development as well.

The largest impediment in work on Mad Cow Disease is our own USDA.

Last edited by leeanderse : Wed, Mar-28-07 at 06:56.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 06:46

BF:

However, one company has been supremely inhibited in applying this vaccine and I will continue to post. Working and it's hard but I, too, recognize the seriousness of this issue.

Last edited by leeanderse : Wed, Mar-28-07 at 06:56.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 06:49

BF:

The official name for Mad Cow Disease is bovine spongiform encephalopathy which is the original Mad Cow Disease before it mutated.

The original disease was transmitted through feed. The mutated strain is transferred from animal to animal and is known as BSAE or bovine spongiform amyloid encephalopathy. This is a mutation of significance and has the potential increase the transmission threat. There are additional threats associated with this mutated form of the disease.

Ask yourself, why have you not heard about a serious United States biotechnology company working on Mad Cow Disease?

USA Today has reported, in its article entitled: Mad Cow Watch Goes Blind:

Possibly due to pressure from large agribusiness, the United States has drastically cut back on the number of cows inspected for the BSE (USA Today, August 4, 2006) Also, the U.S. is prohibiting the sale of test kits that detect BSE. Sixty-five nations have full or partial restrictions on importing U.S. beef products because of concerns that U.S. testing lacks sufficient rigor. As a result, exports of U.S. beef declined from $3.8 billion in 2003, before the first mad cow was detected in the US, to $1.4 billion in 2005. (USA Today, August 4, 2006.)
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinio...-our-view_x.htm )

To make a long story short, no companies, no universities, no one in the United States can use animals for testing and trials for Mad Cow Disease other than the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

And they simply are not testing effectively or in any significant quantities. It is estimated that they are testing 40,000 animals a year which is less than one tenth of one percent. USA Today notes the tests are ineffective and inconclusive.

The point of significance here the USDA is testing a miniscule number of animals, their tests are not considered to be effective and they deny anyone, ANYONE ELSE the right to test for Mad Cow Disease in this country.

One company has found a way to continue their work in this area: Leave the United States for Clinical Trials!

For Dr. Milici and GeneThera that’s where Italy comes in. It is a match made in heaven. Dr. Milici is Italian and came to the United States in his twenties. In Italy every cow that is slaughter MUST be tested for Mad Cow Disease. Dr. Milici is ready for clinical trials and this is where his trials will take place. He will be able to conduct clinical trials on 2,000 animals a day.

This is serious, unique, and incredibly important work that has stumbled and faltered in the United States principally due to policital impediments.

Dr. Milici and his company, GeneThera, Inc. have found a way to move forward in spite of these federal impediments.

Last edited by leeanderse : Wed, Mar-28-07 at 07:02.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 07:08

BF:

It gets worse.

BSE or Mad Cow Disease or bovine spongiform encephalopathy is a brain-wasting disorder which infected more than 180,000 cows and was blamed for more than 150 human deaths during a European outbreak that peaked in 1993.

Humans can get a related disease, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, by eating meat contaminated with mad cow.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease, is a degenerative nerve disease in cattle that can lead to the fatal Creutzfeld-Jakob disease in humans.

Since nobody knows the extent of the infection in human it is critical to be able to test the blood of potentially variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease infected patients.

Scientist have now determined that Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease can be transmitted through contact with contaminated blood. It is therefore of paramount importantce to be able to screen blood supply banks for the presence of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

How Serious is Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease?

Very.

From the Independent Newspapers Ireland Ltd (6/23/06) comes the following information:
The number of people infected with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease could be far higher than thought because of a longer incubation period than previously assumed, British scientists said in June of 2006.

They believe the time between infection with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and developing variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) could be more than 50 years.

The authors believe the incubation period for BSE prions in humans could be even longer than that seen in kuru because infection between different species typically takes longer than within the same species.

Prof Collinge said variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease patients identified so far “could represent a distinct genetic subpopulation with unusually short incubation periods for BSE. A human BSE epidemic may be multiphasic, and recent estimates of the size of the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease epidemic based on uniform genetic susceptibility could be substantial underestimations.”

According to figures from the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease surveillance unit in Edinburgh, 2,079 suspected cases of all types of CJD have been referred to them since 1990.

From the Birmingham Post (10/1/06) comes the following information:

But doctors believe nearly 4,000 more could be infected -although most have not yet developed symptoms. Latest research has found thousands more could develop variant-Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease because the incubation period could last into the middle of this century, far longer than previously thought.

And that means children born in the 1980s will have to live with the threat of developing variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease for the rest of their lives.

Last night Frances Hall, from the Human BSE Foundation, a victim support group, said: “We are sitting on a timebomb. “It’s so sad to think that other families could be left devastated in the way that mine and the other 120 in our group have been.”

This year marks the 20th anniversary since the Government identified BSE as a new disease in cows. Yet it took a further 10 years before the then British health secretary, Stephen Dorrell, admitted that government advisers believed that BSE was linked to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
I

t is believed that BSE was caused by cows being given cheap feed created from the carcasses of sheep infected with a similar illness, called scarpie, in 1986. By 1996 the incurable brain disease had killed 10 people and it was feared that it could turn into an epidemic.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 21:27

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbNic

The diseased prions dont seen to ever die- weather in human, pig cow or sheep. The prions cant simply be cooked out of meat. The diseased prions have survived temperatures as high as the melting point of lead. That is insanely high. (1750^ F to be precise).

I'm sorry, but after I read this I couldn't go any further. The melting point of lead is only about 620 degrees Farenheit... Civil war and Revolutionary war soldiers used to melt it down in a simple camp fire to make bullets. After I read that, I just couldn't believe everything you wrote. I'm sorry.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I'm sorry, but after I read this I couldn't go any further. The melting point of lead is only about 620 degrees Farenheit... Civil war and Revolutionary war soldiers used to melt it down in a simple camp fire to make bullets. After I read that, I just couldn't believe everything you wrote. I'm sorry.

Actually, you should have read further.

Confusing the melting point with the boiling point of lead does not invalidate research being conducted both in the United States and Europe.

That would be your loss.

Lead Symbol: Pb Atomic Number: 82
Atomic Mass: 207.2 amu
Melting Point: 327.5 °C (600.65 K, 621.5 °F)
Boiling Point: 1740.0 °C (2013.15 K, 3164.0 °F)