Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 13:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Do you think that flour is from jerusalem artichokes?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

More flours?! My head reels with the possibilities!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Do you think that flour is from jerusalem artichokes?

Hmmmmmm, yes I did think that (aka sunchokes). Not? Possibly the leafy thistle relation, you think? Somehow I can't see making flour out of those...especially when you look at the carbcounts.

BTW, did anyone else take a peek at the carb and fiber counts, especially of the arrowroot? I was surprised by the numbers on the arrowroot and mean to do some crosschecking...soon as I finish with a few other commitments this weekend.

Dam. Gotta run.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Arrowroot is almost pure starch. But, it has twice the thickening power of flour. Once the math is all done and finished arrowroot provides substantially less carbs per thickening unit than flour. I occasionally use a tiny little bit (usually in conjunction with caramelized onions, gelatin and or soluble fiber gums)
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 17:49
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Hmmmmmm, yes I did think that (aka sunchokes). Not? Possibly the leafy thistle relation, you think? Somehow I can't see making flour out of those...especially when you look at the carbcounts.

BTW, did anyone else take a peek at the carb and fiber counts, especially of the arrowroot? I was surprised by the numbers on the arrowroot and mean to do some crosschecking...soon as I finish with a few other commitments this weekend.

Dam. Gotta run.

I figure you can make anything into flour. But you're probably right.

I think arrowroot is [almost] as carby as corn starch isn't it?
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 18:07
Registered Member

As resident food scientist Scott has posted, the arrowroot goes further (plus has some nice textural qualities).

Here's the numbers from my MasterCook (it rounds, sorry there's no decimals; one of the most annoying things about this version, they've stuffed in rounding!):

* Exported from MasterCook *

Arrowroot vs. Cornstarch

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : ** Test & Calculate **

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

arrowroot powder, 1 Tbsp -- 29 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber
cornstarch, 1 Tbsp -- 30 Calories; trace Fat (0.1% calories from fat); trace Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber

Description: "comparison"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-28-06, 07:49

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

nancy Lc, here is an interesting site non wheat thickeners

it gives information on all kinds of non-wheat thickeners. they appear to be quite carby but maybe you would be able to explore using them in tiny amounts.

hope this helps
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 19:31
Experimenter

BF:

Thanks Deb

I finally tried this. It worked out pretty well! I call them "Egg Rolls".

Basically I took 4 egg whites whipped them until they were stiff, added a bit of cream of tarter.

Then I took the yolks + 1 whole egg and mixed in flax meal and almond meal, salt and pepper, a small amount of butter until I had a nice thick batter. I folded in the egg whites so it would puff up my batter.

I add some baking powder during the folding, probably should have done it before but I forgot!

Then I poured some into a small glass dish whose bottom approximated the size and shape I wanted my roll to be. I microwaved each roll for 1 minute. It made about 5-6 rolls. They puff up a lot, but then deflate some.

I had one with a bit of butter and peanut butter. It was tasty! Then I had another with half an avocado, mayo, tomato and lemon juice squeezed on top. It was FABULOUS!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-06, 21:22
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, just a made a second batch but changed things a bit. This time I used 5 eggs, some baking powder, some xanthum gum, flax and almond flour and a little lemon juice (to activate the baking powder). I decided rather than try to make a thick roll and cut it in half to make a thin on and use it as a top or bottom. Worked great! I poured enough batter to cover the bottom of my "mould" and nuked it for 30 seconds.

They taste pretty neutral and pick up the taste of whatever you put on top or inside.

I've been having some avocado & tomato sandwiches. Fabulous!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-06, 18:21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, just a made a second batch but changed things a bit. This time I used 5 eggs, some baking powder, some xanthum gum, flax and almond flour and a little lemon juice (to activate the baking powder). I decided rather than try to make a thick roll and cut it in half to make a thin on and use it as a top or bottom. Worked great! I poured enough batter to cover the bottom of my "mould" and nuked it for 30 seconds.

They taste pretty neutral and pick up the taste of whatever you put on top or inside.

I've been having some avocado & tomato sandwiches. Fabulous!

Sounds GREAT, Nancy! I'm going to try your method...

Minor point (and I know you love lemon so feel free to ignore) but baking soda needs an acid activator, baking powder has acid built in and only needs moisture.

Pick nit, pick nit, pick nit .

#41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 09:36
Experimenter

BF:

You know, I wasn't sure and had just kind of 1/2 way paid attention to something on TV. I figured I'd toss a little lemon in there just to see if it helped the raise. I didn't really put it in for the flavor.

I seem to get 2 sides of a roll per egg. So my 5 eggs gave me 10 bun halves.

I might try replacing the flax/almond meal with spinach or something to see if I can get the calories down a bit.