Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 15:29
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Not to mention it's single serving size, unlike the others.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetyLouWho
I never thought of putting those ingredients in that shape before, but I have often chopped or grated eggplant into my meat sauce. It seems to add volume without a lot of flavour interference.
Now, I have tried making grilled cheese sandwich type things with eggplant as the "bread" and would not say that I was very impressed with the first draft. I think that I just prefer my eggplant to be more...I dunno...hidden.

Yea, eggplant done with lasagna is great ... eggplant is a very italiany veg (eggplant parm, etc)... but then again if you don't like eggplant you might not like this.

But I would add mushrooms or meat to make it chewy, cause without noodles you miss a lot of that.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 18:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Eggplant?

Ah, everytime I see eggplant, I instantly go into "beware of veggie" mode. LOL

Seriously, I've never cared for eggplants, or plants of any kind, for that matter. How does it taste with the lasagna?

LOL Well I love eggplant
Eggplant is really good with those ingredients, kinda like eggplant parmesan only not.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 18:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanZero
It's so much easier! 5 minutes tops!

Ah, I see.
I have some LC tortillas, I might try it out
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 18:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwoman
Since we are talking eggplant, while at the Asian market, I picked up these small, round (golfball size), white eggplants - the dealer said they were Thai and wasn't helpful in how to cook. I plan on doing a saute with mushrooms & a little green onion - Anyone ever tried these?

For those who hate spaghetti squash - if it is overcooked, it is mushy & yucky. With parmesan cheese & italian seasonings, I haven't found it to be sweet - could be the difference in the color - some of the darker orange ones are sweeter & probably why there are recipes for faux pumpkin pie using them.

Interesting idea on eggplant for noodles-I put it in stews and like the body it gives.

Frederick - I haven't come up with an answer on how eggplant tastes! When mixed with other stuff (like a meat sauce) it tastes like the sauce

No but eggplant done asian stylee rocks. My chinese place makes eggplant & aspargus stir fry with oyster sauce. A bit carby, but very yum especially with a side of pork .

To make eggplant for lasagna, slice strips like you would for eggplant parmesan, broil it under the broiler with oil salt & pepper, and voila. Atkins.com has a recipe for lasagna using eggplant and portobello mushrooms, it's really good.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 18:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen4621
*sigh* Yeah, I know.....I was trying to find a quicker way of fixing a noodle substitute for myself since I'm the only LCer in my family.

I actually DO like spaghetti squash - but I certainly cannot eat THAT much....has anyone ever tried freezing it? Does the texture change when thawed/reheated? Soft, mushy "noodles" just don't sound too appealing......<shudder>

LMAO!!!

Yep I used to make big batches of spaghetti squash alfredo and freeze it. The texture goes to pot but the good news is it still tastes good .
Although what you could try doing is buying small ones, and only making half (or a quarter)... it should keep in the fridge awhile.

That's the problem with LC food... ya gotta cook everything and nothing keeps.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

The carb count may be close in spaghetti squash and tortillas, but not the same in insulin response - sigh-

Spend $2.00 on a s. squash - cut in half, take out seeds nuke one half (6 mins maybe more) shred with fork and eat. Nuke the other half (after removing seeds) for as long as it takes to be able to shred it (not mushy) into a ziploc freezer bag and see what you think! I haven't tried freezing it, but I think now that we have discussed it, I will
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 07:50

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey that sounds really yummy.

Your pics look great Urban !!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 16:39

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%

Urban, what a fabulous idea. Thanks so much for this posting. I had despaired on ever having pasta Alfredo again! And BLWho, I had a friend tell me a decade ago that she used Italian green beans as the 'pasta' under her sauces, and I forgot all about it. I've gotta try both these suggestions!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 09:42
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen4621
Ya know...when I make regular lasagna for my family, I make a smaller LC version for myself using the LaTortilla brand tortillas - I cut them into wide strips using an old-fashioned pasty cutter (gives them that curly edge - just like regular lasagna noodles).

This idea would work perfect in this recipe (use low carb ww tortillas instead of corn)

MEXICAN LASAGNA

YIELD: 8 SERVINGS

1 cup nonfat or reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. fat-free egg substitute
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
14-1/2 oz. can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, crushed, undrained
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
15 oz. can black or pinto beans, drained
4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
1 Tablespoon chili powder
10 corn tortillas (6-inch rounds)
2-1/2 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese

1. Combine the ricotta and egg substitute in a small bowl and stir to mix well. Set aside.

2. Put the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring to crumble, until meat is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chilies, and chili powder, and stir to mix well. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside.

3. Coat a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, and line the bottom of the pan with 5 of the tortillas, slightly overlapping them. (You will need to cut one of the tortillas in half to fit). Spread half the meat mixture over the tortillas, dot with half of the ricotta mixture, and top with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers using the remaining ingredients.

4. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5 minutes more or until the dish is heated through and the cheese is melted. Remove the dish from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

Nutritional Facts (per serving)
CALORIES: 275 CARBOHYDRATES: 32 g CHOLESTEROL: 34 mg
FAT: 3.4 g FIBER: 5 g PROTEIN: 29 g SODIUM: 660 mg
CALCIUM: 482 mg GI RATING: LOW

From The Good Carb Cookbook
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 23:25
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have to say I am impressed. I expected this to taste gross (it just doesnt sound that appealing) but it actually was not bad! It was so fast and easy. I will definitely make this again!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: lowcarb/my own plan
Stats: 330/328.4/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Wow.. This looks REALLY Good.. I can't imagine how it's going to taste.. Guess I'll have to try it out! Thanks for sharing it with us sweetie!
~Lisa
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 12:57
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's funny, I haven't eaten this in a long time but I just had it last night. I swear it's so delicious it fools me every time!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 21:04
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 165/157/125 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Well the photos look good. I'll have to try this after March 15th. I have to start induction over as I completely went off track with the arrival of Girl Scout cookies and Valentine's Day goodies!

Until then, I'll salivate over the photos!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 22:54
No Cheats Ever!

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 291/163/155 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've cooked up a whole spaghetti squash and frozen the left overs into single serving size containers..take it out of the freezer and use when the family has spaghetti.. using the same sauce they use.