Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 03:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

Oh my! I've been doing pilates for a month and a half now (or close to it) and I STILL can't do the roll up! I still have to help myself up! I can't WAIT until I can do it, because that will really 'show' me that I'm getting so much stronger!
Congrats on being able to do it!

I too was wondering about the seal move. I think it's exactly what you said though, and at using momentum! I have to do the same thing a lot of times!

Elisa, welcome!

Here's to hoping we can all keep eachother motivated and get some rock solid body action going on in this thread!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 23:17

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I started a beginner Pilates class at my gym at work last week, needless to say was I feeling pretty fat, stupid & uncoordinated. But I like it & wasn't too sore, so this time it was easier and the instructor is really good at explaining everything, and I'm hooked! I couldn't do the roll-up the first time (something best practiced in the privacy of your own home), but I was able to roll up (not very prettily) and I'll just keep working on it. I know that if I'm going to lose weight and keep it off, I have to exercise every day, and I have to vary it or I'll go nuts
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 02:20

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%

[QUOTE I couldn't do the roll-up the first time (something best practiced in the privacy of your own home), but I was able to roll up (not very prettily) and I'll just keep working on it. QUOTE]

well, that's encouraging. it is possible. i am more sore than i thought i would be, so that means i'm really working my muscles...riiiihtt???
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 00:45

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 200/199/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF: A lot!
Progress: 1%
Default Widsor Pilates

Hi all I am a newbie and introd today! *wave* I have the 20 min w/o and i love it too! I also have the ab works dvd and that one is great for my bad back..I follow dagne for most excersises!! although, I have been able to graduate past Dagne on some of the exercises.

What weight loss results have you got from windsor??? which Video/dvd do you do and how often?

I mostly use my orbitreck glider for 30 min a day and i will do Pilates once or twice a week. I need to make a plan. I just do not feel like i am working out as "hard" when i do Pilates and i was really trying to lose lbs...well what i mean is that by doing pilates for more that 1 x a week i feel like i am taking the EASY way out of exercise!! lol
thanks for your help!!
Take Care,
Cocoa17
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

YAAYYYYYY I found a pilates thread!

I started Winsor pilates on Monday - the 20 min workout (I also bought the advanced sculpting etc - that whole package). I'm hitting it every other day, so I've done it twice now. I'm REALLY feeling it in my tummy. Moving like this: to stretch my midsection out. I can do the roll ups, but not very elegantly.

I'm also treadmilling - walking around 3.2 mph, round 1.20 miles, each day. I also lift weights (upper body only) on a bowflex several times a week.

You can look at my gym log for info on how I got started on all this.

Today was going to be my rest-day, but since I had 3 glasses of wine last night, I'll at least treadmill.

When I get stronger, I'll probably begin doing the Pilates every day till I need to move up to the advanced ones. For now, I'm resting my powerhouse (my poor, poor powerhouse!) every other day.

And I'd like to say - I LOVE my boyfriend, with whom I'm living in sin. He made our giant bonus room over the garage into my gym, complete with tv / satellite / dvd / video / mp3 server. I also love him because he tells me all the time, "I love you just the way you are. You don't have to loose weight, just be healthy".
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 232/206/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default pilates ....ai yi yi

Yep, it is really good. I have MS, and muscle cramping is one of the side effects. If I work out too hard at anything, I find I hurt. Well, I won't be doing the rolling back anymore.....that was extremely painful right before I go to bed. (long after the workout) But I did manage every other move with out problems. I like the pilates workout, but I am curious as to whether or not there is any workout that is suitable for mildly disabled.
Mary
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 15:05

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 200/199/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF: A lot!
Progress: 1%

Hi there! I had what I called a very mild disability and i have been dealing with for some time. I have HMS-Hypermobility syndrome--cause joints to be super flexible and it affects everyone differently. I have to do Pilates to keep my SI joint aligned and my muscle fatigue away! if not my right leg gets numb and my leg legnth discrepancy gets worse--more than an inch diff. if i do not stabilize!

My physical therapist said to get the book pilates for idiots--the orange book and try the ab exersises but only do them if ther was no pain and no popping! I watched the ab works DVD and guess what it ia mostly my therapy work out!!! I falow dagne and if i am stuggling i will NOT do the teasers or that last few exersises--BTW__ i was not allowed to do the rolling like a ball until i mastered some of the beggining of the set!--your body will tell you!

mugget57~enjoy your work out and maybe we can support each other
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 08:20

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I'm really liking my pilates - have not worked out in 2 days, so today I'm looking forward to a killer workout.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 20:35

Plan: dr. phil
Stats: 180/140/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default new to pilates

Hello.
I am new to pilates and I have to say that it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. I must be doing something wrong. I am used to the burn I get from weights and aerobics. I experience no burn with Pilates. anyone else have this problem when they first started them? what should I do?
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 22:45

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I haven't had any "burn" either!..but don't despair...keep at it and the results will begin to show..flatter tum, better posture,better flexibility..and for the lucky ones [I'm still waiting for this!] sleek thighs!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 20:55

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for you reply kiwigal. I have a few questions if you don't mind! How long did it take for you to notice that it was working? Do you still use it? Do you find that you gain muscle or just good toning and definition?
thanks!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 14:07
Registered Member

Stats: 195/158/145 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am so happy that there is a pilates thread!! For about a month now I have been doing pilates 2x a week for 50mins sessions. It's actually a class offered at my university's gym. I am in intermediate pilates right now and I plan to move to advanced probably at the beginning of March.

After just a few weeks, I notice so much more flexibility, it's amazing. I am not really sure if I am sleeker but I don't plan on giving up.

I also run and if you are a runner (or do any kind of cardio, ie: aerobics) pilates really makes you feel wonderful and helps take a lot of stress out of your muscles.

Has anyone tried Stott pilates? I think it's the one that Cindi Crawford is advertising on Special K cereal boxes.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 16:37

BF:
Progress:

I've tried the stott pilates and I prefer the winsor . the instructions are clearer and you are given more time to get into postion.
I have been doing them for only 10 sessions. they say you notice a difference after 20 sessions so we'll see.
I do jog and do aerobics for my cardio; 40 min of each on alternate days...unfortunately i haven't lost a pound. I am going to keep at it but the frustration is going to catch up with me. Any words of inspiration would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 16:53

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

I am considering investing in the winsor pilates - It's been very helpful reading everyones posts! Thanks
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 05:12
Registered Member

Stats: 195/158/145 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_betty
I do jog and do aerobics for my cardio; 40 min of each on alternate days...unfortunately i haven't lost a pound. I am going to keep at it but the frustration is going to catch up with me. Any words of inspiration would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

If you are doing 40 minutes of exercise + pilates, you're doing great! I know it seems frustrating to work so hard exercising and not see the results that you want but stick with it! I know this may have been said a hundred times before but the key to exercise + weightloss for me was water. Just drink a ton of water. I had to start drinking 4-5 litres a day... and yes, for the first couple of days you will have to pee like crazy It really pays off though and will keep your energy levels up. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!