Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Ah - cool. Thank you for that. I take cod liver oil for immune support, not body composition.

Why not just use fish oil then? Those effects from the EPA and DHA. Cod liver oil does contain large amounts of DHA and EPA but typically not as purified. Cod liver oil is much higher in Vitamin D though. I believe the research on fish oils and immune support was on critically ill and post surgery patients only though.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Vitamins A and D. I don't take a multi.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thunder-
Protein powder - more due to the fact that most people simply do not consume enough protein.

Really? Are you talking about bodybuilders exclusively, other athletic types, or regular people too? I was under the impression we tended to eat too much protein. How much do you recommend? I think I've read where Built said .9 grams per pound of body weight, for bodybuilding, is that right? What about those of us who don't pump iron as a rule?

I would LOVE to be able to eat more protein.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 23:08
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Oil of Oregano is good for reducing/eliminating systemic yeast problems which can help with overall health and weight loss for those people who were suffering from yeast problems but for everyone else I believe it's pretty much useless.

It (alternated with Grapefruit Seed extract) has worked very well for me in getting rid of the skin and respiratory problems caused by systemic yeast.

In terms of exercise/body-building, you're right, no use at all

Em
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 23:23

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

as for calcium:

For supplimenting calcium, as was already mentioned it is absorbed much better when coupled with vitamin d, magnesium, and vitamin c. What matters most though in a calcium supplement is the type of calcium it is. Calcium carbonate, which is most common, is not absorbed by humans except in trace amounts, and is total garbage and you are wasting your money and time taking a calcium carbonate pill. Calcium citrate is the one that is most well absorbed by people, though some other types fall in about halfway between the carbonate and the citrate. Do not take a calcium suppliment that is made from oyster shells, or coral, as both of these can cause heavy metal poisoning over extended periods of time.

#36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 00:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
Really? Are you talking about bodybuilders exclusively, other athletic types, or regular people too? I was under the impression we tended to eat too much protein. How much do you recommend? I think I've read where Built said .9 grams per pound of body weight, for bodybuilding, is that right? What about those of us who don't pump iron as a rule?

I would LOVE to be able to eat more protein.

I think I said I feel the most comfortable with about .9 - 1g per pound bodyweight while eating keto ratios. When I eat low-fat, I go higher, probably closer to 1.5g per pound.

Edited to add: the reason I stay lower while in keto ratios is to keep the fats high enough so that I stay in ketosis - for me, usually about 65% of cals from fat. If I eat too much protein, some of it glycolyzes and stimulates an insulin response. For keto dieting, this is particularly problematic with faster proteins, such as whey, especially if I take it with nothing to slow it down, such as fibrous veggies and sufficient fat.

If you're not trying to remain in ketosis, you can increase the proteins, but you'll have to drop the fats a bit to control the calories.

Last edited by Built : Fri, Oct-15-04 at 01:22.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 06:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Edited to add: the reason I stay lower while in keto ratios is to keep the fats high enough so that I stay in ketosis - for me, usually about 65% of cals from fat. If I eat too much protein, some of it glycolyzes and stimulates an insulin response. For keto dieting, this is particularly problematic with faster proteins, such as whey, especially if I take it with nothing to slow it down, such as fibrous veggies and sufficient fat.

I feel compelled to correct this.

1. Fat intake has nothing to do with getting in, or staying in ketosis. Ketosis is a function of liver glycogen, and occurs in the absence of carbs, not the presence of high fat. Ketosis is metabolically similar to starvation actually, where obviously no dietary fat is being consumed.

2. Too much protein will in fact keep someone out of ketosis. I am not sure where the term 'glycolyzes' comes from, but suffice to say, there is generally a 58% conversion of protein to sugar. Once the nitrogen containing side chains are cleaved, you're simply left with a carbon skeleton, which has to be either stored or oxidized for energy. It is not in fact the insulin response that triggers the problem as the production of too many ketones also triggers an insulin response to prevent too large an increase in blood acidosis. It is simply the production of sugar, which decreases the need for ketone/fractured fat production.

3. I also don't see how a fast acting protein, like whey, is more problematic for ketosis. Again, it is the status of your liver and blood sugar that govern the production of ketones. Egg whites are also a very fast digesting protein. And all proteins stimulate an insulin response.

And as an aside, more specific to carbs, and adding things like fat/fiber to 'slow it down', this is the premise of the glycemic index which basically says that the addition of these things slows down digestion and results in more of a trickle effect of sugar entering the blood. While true, the GI says nothing about the insulin response, just the rate of entry. A more accurate measure is the insulin index, which is a measure of the insulin response. And what might be surprising is that while adding fat to something slows it down, it also increases the insulin response.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 06:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I think I said I feel the most comfortable with about .9 - 1g per pound bodyweight while eating keto ratios. When I eat low-fat, I go higher, probably closer to 1.5g per pound.

I like these figures.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 07:50

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Quote:
And as an aside, more specific to carbs, and adding things like fat/fiber to 'slow it down', this is the premise of the glycemic index which basically says that the addition of these things slows down digestion and results in more of a trickle effect of sugar entering the blood. While true, the GI says nothing about the insulin response, just the rate of entry. A more accurate measure is the insulin index, which is a measure of the insulin response. And what might be surprising is that while adding fat to something slows it down, it also increases the insulin response.

Rob Faigin states Not only should the Glycemic Index be disregarded it should be thrown as far as possible"

Jag
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I feel compelled to correct this.

1. Fat intake has nothing to do with getting in, or staying in ketosis. Ketosis is a function of liver glycogen, and occurs in the absence of carbs, not the presence of high fat. Ketosis is metabolically similar to starvation actually, where obviously no dietary fat is being consumed.

2. Too much protein will in fact keep someone out of ketosis. I am not sure where the term 'glycolyzes' comes from, but suffice to say, there is generally a 58% conversion of protein to sugar. Once the nitrogen containing side chains are cleaved, you're simply left with a carbon skeleton, which has to be either stored or oxidized for energy. It is not in fact the insulin response that triggers the problem as the production of too many ketones also triggers an insulin response to prevent too large an increase in blood acidosis. It is simply the production of sugar, which decreases the need for ketone/fractured fat production.

3. I also don't see how a fast acting protein, like whey, is more problematic for ketosis. Again, it is the status of your liver and blood sugar that govern the production of ketones. Egg whites are also a very fast digesting protein. And all proteins stimulate an insulin response.

Okay, well, whey knocks me out of ketosis every single time I've tried to use it while keto dieting. I've noticed that when I take something fatty and fibrous with it, this doesn't happen. So what's actually going on?

Edited to add:

Quote:
Fat intake has nothing to do with getting in, or staying in ketosis.
I'm puzzled. How come it's so hard to get into ketosis unless fats are at least 65% of cals (for most people, anyway)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thunder
And what might be surprising is that while adding fat to something slows it down, it also increases the insulin response.
Is this why fatty carbs <cough donuts cough>are SOOOO fattening?

Last edited by Built : Fri, Oct-15-04 at 08:37.