Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 150/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Hiya!

I am glad to see that you're starting out well. Eating better is the first step. Once that becomes easy and you're noticing a change then it's more motivating to increase your activity.

I purposefully fell of the wagon this past week. After dieting so long with NO change I started to give up. It was really nice to meet with my doctor and get him to give me the medication I needed though. I am hoping now that things in my system will straighten themselves out and I'll start to loose weight. I am back to eating "In the Zone" now but I am less anal about it. <grin> I used to sit there and measure portions out EXACTLY and I would only eat certain things. Now I am giving myself a little more slack and it feels more natural.

This week I am trying to increase my activity. I was planning on going to the gym but I have to work three shifts there this week and I have two exams, both worth a large portion of my grade, that I have to focus on. I think I will just go on the treadmill for an hour and study while I'm at it. I am thinking of saving up for a few sessions with a personal trainer to plan a work out that will work for me. That or I'm going to take some of the arobic classes. They look interesting...

More to report later!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 22:38

Plan: zone
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 68.5
BF:27%/27%/15%
Progress: 0%

Hey summer, let's post our goals and etc. here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169891

Instead of in this room. Maybe we could get more people to join the group?

Or we can start a new group? what do you think?

suzy
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 05:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, you two.

I put in KEYWORD "CYTOMEL" and found this thread and decided to join in, since we have so much in common.

Thyroid disease is a bummer-to feel bad and GAIN WEIGHT.

Summer, how did your doctor visit go? I go tomorrow and I have 3 pages of info that I have cut and pasted, including information about Cytomel and Armour. If I got switched to Armour (a combination drug) I would only have to take one medicine and that would be cheaper for me, but knowing my doctor, he will just add the CYTOMEL to the 100 mg. of Synthroid I am taking.

I hate going to the doctor because I dread the yearly lecture about my weight. I am 5'3 and weigh 179. I have been on Atkins for about 2 months. I lost 7 lbs the first week and have lost 3 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I bought the Ketone strips and they really help to keep me honest.

Here is a typical menu for me.

Coffee (We use Maxwell House lite-1/2 the caffeine and DELICIOUS!!!)
Omlet: Egg, Small amount sharp chedder cheese, t onion, 1/2 slice of ham

Snack: 24oz water (sometimes with a squeeze of Key Lime (little plastic bottle
no calories and no carbs)

Leafy salad: Romaine lettuce, 1/4 cuke, 2 thin sliced onion, 3 grape tomatoes
Dressing containing 1 carb or less.
I usually eat some chicken or salmon with this

Snack: 24oz. water with Key Lime
Sugarfree jello and cool whip

Supper: green beans or asparagus and a meat

Snack: BRYER"S NEW CARB SMART ICE CREAM(4 net carbs per 1/2 cup)
The Chocolate is devine. The fudge bars are good too
I am going to try Butter Pecan and Rocky Road next

I also have sugar free Reese's mineature cups for when I am about to DIE. I try to limit them to 2 per day.

After writing all this, I see that you might be moving to anthor thread.
Please let me know if you two read this.

My exercise is walking 2 1/2 miles, 3 times a week

Do you two do any weight training.

Summergal, do you feel any different on the CYTOMEL?

WISH ME LUCK TOMORROW!

The luck of the IRISH to both of you! Happy Saint Patrick's DAY!
Connie in North Carolina
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 150/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Hey CONILUV...it sounds like you are really working hard with your diet. I have become less strick with it because after weeks and weeks nothing happened and it's hard to convince my family to help me with groceries when it's not working. Right now I am waiting to see if adding the Cytomel does anything for me. Once my body is behaving itself again I will try to see if I can loose any weight again. So far I have been on it for 6 days. I haven't noticed any changes...except for the fact that I finally got my period. (I haven't had it since January.) I hope this is a sign that my system is working better now. Keep me posted on your experiences with T3! I have heard a lot of good things about it so I have my fingers crossed.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 01:26

Plan: zone
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 68.5
BF:27%/27%/15%
Default Hey summer how's it going?

Hey summer how's the new med helping out? and the entire program. I worked out on thursday and friday. It made a world of a difference, now to just keeep it up. hope to hear from you soon.

suzy
  #36   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 20:00
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer7gal
Hey guys,
I am feeling really low right now because it seems like nothing I do helps me loose weight. I have a hypothyroid problem which I am on medication for (synthyroid .175mg). My weight problem started about 3 years ago. I believe that initially the antidepressants that I was on for my anxiety disorder, and birth control caused the weight gain. I did not respond well to either of these medications and over the 3 years my doctors had me trying all the different concoctions out there...to no avail. Last year in November I went of all my anxiety medication and I stopped the birth control a year ago. I expected to loose weight but nothing happened. I actually GAINED 10 pounds about a week after stopping the meds in November, even though I ate exactly the same.) During this time I tried everything, dieting, working out at the gym with a trainer for months on end, dieticians...NOTHING helped me shed a pound. I have had all aspects of my thyroid tested and my doctor keeps saying that it is still normal.

I don't have a LOT of weight to loose but the weight I have gained has done a number on my self-esteem. (I used to be 130 and then it just started creaping upwards to 150.) NONE of my clothes fit and I feel that I no longer have control over my body and it's scary.

Towards the end of January I started the Zone diet. I bought a step counter and I walk for about 40 minutes briskly each day and make sure that I am up and about for the rest of the time. I follow my diet to the letter. Will power is not a problem. I eat only favorable protein, carbs, and fat. After two weeks on it I lost 5 pounds....but that is it. Five weeks later I still haven't lost anything. If I cut back on the amount of food I eat i will soon have little dixie cup sized meals.

I met with my doctor to go over my diet etc and he can't figure it out. He said "I guess your metabolism is slow...come back in two weeks and we'll see where you're at." I don't care if I only loose 1/4 pound a week...as long as I know that I AM loosing something. Right now it feels like nothing is happening. This is so discouraging. For three years I have been trying to deal with this and I have had no success. <sob> I am so tired of people going "well...just learn to l like yourself. You look fine to me." The issue is that I want my control back. My dad has diabetes and my Grandmother died of breast cancer so I want to keep my weight at a normal level to reduce the risk of me getting these things. I want to stop this problem so I don't just keep gaining weight.

Guys...I just don't know what to do. I feel so incredibly sad...I cried all the way home from the doctors yesterday. Please...can someone help me? I don't have anywhere else to go for advice and I have run out of ideas..... I could really really use some guidance from others in the same boat!

Here is a copy of what I eat each day. It has been the same all the time...

Breakfast
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
almonds sprinkled on top with cinnamon powder

Snack
1 ounce of sliced chicken meat
½ apple
6 peanuts

Lunch.
3 ounces of chicken breast
1/4 cup of chick peas
½ cup of pineapple
1 cucumber sliced up
18 peanuts

Dinner
3 ounces of chicken breast
1/4 cup of chick peas
½ cup of pineapple
1 cucumber
18 peanuts

(sometimes for a snack I will have a glass of milk instead if I am in a hurr!
summergal if your still on antidepressants you wont lose on atkins,or if u do it will be slow
w.also i have posted some replies to people asking about losing with hypo maybe u can read them or if u want specific info just write me.there is also a natural antidepressant if u want to tri it 5-htp,anxiety medicine doesnt interfere with atkins just the srris also with hypo thyroid if you dont eat enough you wont lose.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 20:03
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default to many carbs

summergal just read your diet and there are way to many carbs go back on induction cut out all the fruit and the chickpeas lots of carbs there for very small amounts