Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, May-08-14, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I haven't done much research on the procedure except what I read about here. But what really bothers me is (1) this is such a drastic procedure with serious consequences yet it seems to be done at the drop of a hat if someone has insurance to cover it and (2) I think it preys on the suffering of overweight people.

I can see how if someone isn't fully aware of problems down the line, this may seem like a feasible option: insurance can pay for it, you get the cheering of people all around you for "doing something" about your weight problem (which of course offends many people even though it has no real effect on them), and there are support systems in place before and after the operation.

In my most desperate overweight period a decade ago, if I had insurance and was persuaded that this would at least solve the overweight problem, I might have gone for it. Fortunately I was also broke and had no insurance so there's no way I could have afforded the procedure at the time. Actually I don't think I would have done it but I understand the siren song that tempts people to do this because they are probably just so despairing about their weight problems.

However: 15 years ago (admittedly when the operation may not have been as "refined") a cousin of mine had the operation and died during the operation. She was only in her 50s, NOT overweight to the point where she couldn't function in any way, but she did it to "please her husband." She was bright and funny and capable; had a successful local TV show; and volunteered to work with mentally disabled children and adults who adored her. Many of them came to her funeral and grieved openly at her loss, it was heart-breaking.

So this is an emotional plea (not based on research, statistics, or anything else): There are other ways to heal problems of being overweight, and the options, progress, and support are getting better all the time. And once you change your WOE and get on a better path, if you still don't lose the weight or become the body size that other people think you should be, then F-em! There are so many talented, smart, gifted people who are overweight and the world needs what they have to offer more than it needs bodies who are the right/appropriate size and shape.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-08-14, 13:19

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Even though it looks like it's been a while since anything was added to the page, this is still one of the saddest things I've ever read:

Weight Loss Surgery Memorial Page

One of my cousins had gastric bypass about three years ago. She was indeed morbidly obese and her doctor told her flat out that if she didn't have the surgery she would die. So it was done, and she looks awful. She lost the weight, yes, but she looks like a deflated Macy's parade balloon and her complexion is almost gray. The only things she can eat are cold Campbell's tomato soup from the To Go container and vanilla Ensure shakes. Anything else, including any other flavor of soup or shake, gets puked back up. She's only in her fifties but she had to go on disability because she has no energy and in the height of a Florida summer in an apartment without the A/C turned on she's freezing. All she does is stare mindlessly at the TV and complain about everything. But she's THIN!!!!!! and that's all that doctor cares about. Thanks for taking a lively talented woman who led a very interesting and cool life and turning her into a miserable excuse for a human being, you quack.

If I'd known beforehand that she was going to have the surgery, I would have emailed her that page in a heartbeat. Then again, she's not really living. She's enduring. No one should have to go through that.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 09:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
The only things she can eat are cold Campbell's tomato soup from the To Go container and vanilla Ensure shakes.

This is not the first time I've heard such stories, and so it is no wonder the poor woman has no energy or hope or joy in living.

It's really a form of torture, isn't it? The appetite comes back, and you can never eat to satisfy again.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 10:52
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

A few years ago - after hearing about a couple of "celebrities" having success with lap band surgery, I strongly considered it. But back then, my insurance didn't cover it and I couldn't afford it. Since then I've learned more about such surgeries, including meeting people who have had them done. I realize that in most cases, even those who consider the results a success - in reality have only a qualified success. They are thin, but have quality of life issues. For some of the unlucky ones, there are serious complications and even death. I'm glad that I found another way.

My brother has decided to do the lap-band. His doctor told him that he needed to gain 10 more pounds to qualify for insurance coverage. He gained the weight and started the pre-surgery program - which includes losing weight and lots of information about how your diet will change and how your body may react to the band. He told me some of the things he has learned - and to their credit - it is not all peaches and cream. My brother has been duly forewarned. I guess it is human nature that he sees the potential adverse effects that some experience as the exception and not the rule. He still plans on moving forward with it. He is one sees this as his only option. He does not think he can do it on his own.

The success I've had with my low-carb lifestyle change is not enough to convince him otherwise. My 3 months is just a blip and hasn't really proven anything.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 10:59

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

The comment about you're basically on LC anyway, after surgery, is correct. I know at least 2 dozen people who have had it, of them I know only one who has kept the weight off. So the rest basically butchered their bodies, committed to a lifetime of surgical procedures, and I suspect lifetime of other medical problems, for what?

I work with a lot of doctors who also have MAJOR concerns about the really long term impact of WLS, like in terms of brain health from lack of nutrient absorption. That's scary enough, but my own unprofessional observation has been why would you do it if you're just going to put the weight back on.. and the vast majority seem to? You can re-route your stomach but unless you fix the parts of your head that control your eating patterns, it's pointless.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 13:14

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Even though it looks like it's been a while since anything was added to the page, this is still one of the saddest things I've ever read:

Weight Loss Surgery Memorial Page

Literally sat here almost crying reading some of the stories. Alot of these people had young children. HOw horrible you must have to feel to think there is no other way.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 15:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
The cruel joke was she looked great two years out of the surgery, but never felt great or even good. 5 – 5 ½ years out Chrissy started losing her teeth, was completely deficient, in a wheelchair, under pain management and could barely eat and our one saving factor was that she was not losing weight, so we thought we stood a chance. Everything was deteriorating, she was in constant unbearable pain, her muscles had begun to atrophy, and emotionally and physically she was drained. She was losing her eye sight and even her memory. On December 3, 2008 our last monthly visit to the endocrinologist she lost 50 lbs. I said at this time, as I said to every Dr., on every visit, I was having trouble keeping her comfortable. Even under pain management they could not keep her comfortable, because they refused to give her higher doses to allow for the malabsorbtion. The Dr. said go home enjoy Christmas and we will talk in January. We never had that Christmas, Chrissy died on December 21, 2008.

Chrissy's Story

When she got the surgery, she was 100 pounds overweight. And 19 years old.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 16:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

#39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/257/210 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 55%

I am new here, so I am just reading this. I think everyone who has a significant amount of weight to lose has considered some form of surgery. I know it crossed my mind once or twice. Luckily, I know 5 people who had gastric. After seeing what they looked like about 6 months after? NO FREAKING WAY. A friend of my ex-wife had it done when she really didn't need it. She was attractive, married to a great guy, with great kids. A year later? She looks absolutely horrible! She has a gray complexion, loose skin everywhere, and looks 15 years older. She started to lecture me about eating right and losing weight. I let it go for a while because I am not the confrontational type, until we were at a party and she proceeded to lecture me in front of 20 people about the need for me to loose weight. I said I will, but I will do it my way, the old fashion way.

I am the "Do what makes you happy" kind of guy, I try not to judge, but I have never really seen a true success story after someone who has had the surgery.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 10:06

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz
The comment about you're basically on LC anyway, after surgery, is correct. I know at least 2 dozen people who have had it, of them I know only one who has kept the weight off. So the rest basically butchered their bodies, committed to a lifetime of surgical procedures, and I suspect lifetime of other medical problems, for what?

This is my attitude, too. I have had it suggested by a couple of doctors, but then I looked at the food journal of a friend of mine who was post-surgery, and heard her stories about adjustments and the strict rules and some of her reactions (and she's someone who's VERY happy about the surgery). I decided that I could eat 1200-1600 calories of low-carb food without the surgery. It's really the appetite suppression that is the major benefit I see to the surgery. And when I'm solidly following a low-carb plan, I get appetite suppression.

Granted, some days are "hungrier" than others, and my calories go up to 1800 or so. But I think that's normal, so long as my overall average calories are around 1500. And at my current weight, that allows me to lose slowly... but pretty steadily.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 11:45
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

I can't resist responding to this thread, even though the origins are old...

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in March, 2013. Afterwards, I had serious, life-threatening complications and spent five weeks in the hospital.

It took me a long time to heal and begin to regain my health. I don't know how things might have been with recovery from the surgery if I hadn't gotten pneumonia and pulmonary edema.

But...despite the complications, my experience suggests that - unless you do all the 'right' things (doctor suggestions) after a bariatric surgery, people will have poor health and possibly die.

So, what are the 'right' things? Well, for me: I take lots of vitamin supplements, I eat 6-7 small meals of mostly protein a day, I exercise regularly, and I am very serious about getting enough sleep.

If I don't take my vitamins supps (for the record, I took a lot before surgery too) and get enough sleep every single day, I feel TERRIBLE.

Today, I feel better than I ever have in my life, but it does take some effort. I take better care of myself than I ever have.

Surviving on milk shakes and tomato soup (as someone mentioned) would NOT work for me. (There's a lot of sugar in those items, for one thing.)

Despite surviving and thriving (eventually) after the surgery, though, I would not recommend bariatric surgery to anyone.

Why? Because - surgery or not - I have a complicated relationship with food and an eating disorder. Surgery did not fix those problems.

I didn't expect that it would - I hoped it would be a tool in my weight-loss strategies. But it hasn't been as useful of a tool as I had hoped.

The eating disorder is a very powerful problem (compulsive overeating.)

But - for those who are smugly complaining about people butchering their bodies and regaining the weight, I have this to say: have you ever felt so desperate about losing weight that you would do anything? Even if it was dangerous?

Well, I felt that desperation. And that's why I had the surgery. I don't regret it. Now I know.

I basically eat very similar to how I did - low carb - before the surgery. The VSG, however, prevents me from binging because it only allows me to eat much smaller amounts.

That binging restriction is one of the effects I hoped to achieve from surgery - and it works well, as long as I do not eat sugar.

I still go to Overeater's Anonymous to deal with the eating disorder. It's one day at a time. Some days, sugar looks pretty good - and I eat it, to my detriment, surgery or no surgery.

All I can do is keep trying.

I have had people tell me a bazillion stories about their friend/relative/cousin's pet dog's hamster's niece having this or that bariatric surgery and how poorly these individuals did afterwards (and/or died).

And when I asked them for details, everyone of them admitted the person in questions was NOT following post-surgery guidelines.

YMMV. Peace.

(Profile picture taken TODAY.)

Last edited by WyoDiva : Fri, Jul-18-14 at 11:57.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 17:35

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Jo, I'm so glad you made this comment. You opened the door for me to ask a nosy question. I saw your stunning 'after' pic in the bikini and I just have to ask you how you lost the loose skin w/o surgery. I assumed you didn't have it because I saw no scars. Hubby says they can do it so that the scars don't show but I am dying to know. Our losses would be similar in scope and while you had more kids, I did carry two at a time. Help a sistah out and tell me how you did it. Pleeeeze...
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 17:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDiva

I still go to Overeater's Anonymous to deal with the eating disorder. It's one day at a time...All I can do is keep trying.

I happened to find my LC diet for T2 diabetics at the same time I found OA - for me they are intertwined and I'll never forsake either one. Both help me and work together to help me heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDiva
I have had people tell me a bazillion stories about their friend/relative/cousin's pet dog's hamster's niece having this or that bariatric surgery and how poorly these individuals did afterwards (and/or died).

That is so like the horrendous pregnancy/childbirth stories that some women insist on telling the first-time pregnant woman. Whatever happened to tact?!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 00:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Jo, I'm so glad you made this comment. You opened the door for me to ask a nosy question. I saw your stunning 'after' pic in the bikini and I just have to ask you how you lost the loose skin w/o surgery. I assumed you didn't have it because I saw no scars. Hubby says they can do it so that the scars don't show but I am dying to know. Our losses would be similar in scope and while you had more kids, I did carry two at a time. Help a sistah out and tell me how you did it. Pleeeeze...

I do have a scar, its just below ............. my bikini bottom. Have a look at the photo thing on my signature. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/8412484

Basically what they do/did, was to tightened my bowed tummy muscles (stitch them together, pull the skin down tightly, cut off the surplus, make a new belly button and stitch it up just above/on the pubic bone. The scar is about 6 inches long and altho it fades, its still there, but well hidden from public view lol!!!

Jo xxx
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-14, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/210/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Incredible that he isn't impressed and highly motivated by your considerable success. That is puzzling.

I haven't even had any visible/measurable loss yet going into my 4th week (but I have had some very positive changes, so I am not discouraged) and my sister who is a total carb and milk addict (and about 80 lbs overweight) actually said she would attempt the method if it helps me.

I think she will have a much harder time as I was not a big carb eater previously and this method came pretty naturally, but she has determination. Too bad she can't just decide to try it now and not waste any more time but I guess I am the guinea pig and that is fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
The success I've had with my low-carb lifestyle change is not enough to convince him otherwise. My 3 months is just a blip and hasn't really proven anything.