Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 07:51

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi everyone

I just finished up my cardio and made my goal for the week!!
$10 in the reward jar for me!! Cha-Ching!!

The best thing about it is my back isn't totally killing me right now, so I know I am making small improvements. Usually after about 15 minutes I would get a big pain on the lower right side of my back, making it difficult to go on. But today it is just very slight twinge, so I think I will work on increasing my time a little next week.

How's everyone else doing? Make me proud gang!!

Monika - I am so sorry about your cat. It is so hard to lose a pet.
((((Monika))))

Onward!!
Mary
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:00

BF:

Monika - about shoes
I have wide thick feet too, and I always get men's shoes. (yep, I'm a crossdresser LOL) My latest pair that I really love are wide men's Reeboks. I tried on a lot of pairs until I found one I liked. I think they were around $75, but they have lasted for a year and my feet feel great in them, so it was well worth the money.
Mary
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%

here is my update.

Yesterday, 7-30, I walked for 30 minutes, and the day before,
7-29, I did a 15 minute walk around the block with my dog, who is 14and a half yrs old, so we're both a little slow.

Rena
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 00:23

today I walked for 15 minutes, and then I also climbed 20 rows in the upper deck at the metro dome, twice, and I didn't have to stop either time!

now, tomorrow I need to get in 5 minues on the exercise ball and 30 minutes on my bike, which means I also have to put air in the tirres!!
Rena

I hope everyone is doing well!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:45
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile One Week Done! Good work, Challengers!

Onto Week Two …

Goals
Review your goals from last week. What did and did not work? Can you challenge yourself to take the next step? Remember, there’s no such thing as a wimpy goal… Any form of exercise you do on a regular basis is beneficial to your health.

* Consider adding a drinking water goal this week!

Rewards
If you decided to reward yourself last week, how did it feel to make your goal? What’s your goal for next week’s success?

* If you did your best, yet didn’t do everything you planned perfectly, have you considered rewarding yourself anyway?

Body Image Exercise: Back
Pretty much the same routine as last week, yet this time we’re focusing on our back. As always, these questions are only suggestions to help you see yourself more clearly.

Pick a time when you’ll have at 5-10 uninterrupted minutes. If at all possible, use a hand and full length mirror and do this naked (or nearly) so you can take a good look from your shoulders to the small of your back. Is this the most unfamiliar part of your body? We usually know very well how we appear from the front, however the back is a little more mysterious. How is your skin? Do you notice any areas that look dry or broken out? How are you carrying your fat? Is it smooth or do you have ‘wings‘? Are you hairy? Freckled?

Just stand or sit normally - what is your posture like? Try changing it a little and see how that feels. Make gentle moves and watch how it appears from behind. Think about what an amazing support structure your spine is. Do you have any mobility problems with your back? Are there areas of extra stiffness or pain?

Did any negative thoughts come to your mind? You can combat these messages by focusing on what you do like. Find things to like about your back. Think of all the abilities it provides you with. Find beauty in it’s form and function.

Homework
For the next week, try to suspend all judgment and just appreciate your back. Your homework assignment is to notice and praise it whenever you think of it. If you find yourself being self-critical immediately stop and pay yourself a compliment. Your back is yours, uniquely yours, to use, take care of, and to treasure. Find new ways to pamper it this week … Report back here how it felt to give your back extra attention.

Belly breathing exercises to strengthen your back from the inside out: http://www.cet4life.com/chapters/abs_ex.htm

Exercises to strengthen your back from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=17&topcategory=Spine

Affirmation Of The Week
Though no one can go back and make a new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end.

Last edited by AntiM : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 06:52. Reason: formatting
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:15
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Thumbs up Monika's Goal & Check In ... Week Two

Last weeks goals worked great for me, but soon I realized I could exceed them a bit and still not incur any injury. Instead of walking 4 days a week, today’s walk will make it 7! I’ll commit to 6 days next week, giving myself a break day, if I need it. I’m discontinuing the leg exercises, since they were intended to work my leg muscles on the days between walks.

My Exercise Goals For Week Two
  • 15 minute walk, 6 days per week - stretching well before and after
  • Belly breathing exercises to strengthen my back, everyday
  • Neck and shoulder stretches, 3 minutes worth, everyday
Other Goals for Week Two
  • Drink at least 3 liters of water per day, 4.5 liters when I can or definitely on days when the temperature is over 85 degrees (I use an insulated 1.5 liter Big Gulp cup from 7-11).
  • Keep working on making pretty feet, exfoliate and moisturize everyday.
Reward
Tonight I ‘cash in’ my backrub reward! Yay! When I complete my 2nd weekly goals, I am going to buy a bottle of light pink shimmery nail polish and paint my toenails - which look sad and boring in their summer sandals.

Homework
I’ve been loving up my arms and hands all this week, doing simple things like moisturizing everyday with coconut oil, wearing a bracelet or ring, complementing them as I get dressed in the morning or whenever I think of it.

I’ve been having trouble loving the increasingly droopy fat under my upper arms - probably the combination of getting older (I’m 38) and losing a little weight. I focused specifically on this area with good thoughts and I think they appreciated the extra attention. Generally, my pattern is that when I don‘t like something - I ignore it. It‘s been a long time since I concentrated on anything but what’s wrong about this part of my body. Also, my hands have been affected by my funny type of arthritis - I catch myself being really angry when I drop things, or can’t hold things right. This week I actively paid attention to those emotions and was far more appreciative of what they can do … Type these posts, for instance!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:22

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Reporting in

Wow, people seem to be doing just great! We're a good group!

I had to completely change directions mid-week. I had injured a toe before this Challenge started, and it got worse instead of better. I thought at first I could still walk 15 minutes a day and let it heal up at the same time, but that was not to be. So the only walking I am doing now is just your basic getting around.

So, I began doing exercises while sitting down and lying down. So far I am just winging it, since this happened kind of suddenly (picture me flailing and thrashing about randomly) but I requested a book from the library with a title something like "Exercise for adults over age 51: it's never too late"

My goals for Week Two:
1) Do 30 minutes of exercises a day.

2) Try and think of a reward! I don't think I deserve one yet, but I'm going to have one next week! (providing I stick with this, which I will)

2) Do Monika's back homework. You know, it occurs to me that I have not seen my back recently - that may sound funny but it's true. ....I'm still thinking about Mr. E's "Tom Cruise arms" though - wish mine looked half that good!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:43

BF:

No Way!! LOL
Are you psychic Monika??
Last week we focused on arms, the day before that I had just spent most of the day being disgusted with my arms.
Now today we focus on the back and I have been laid up most of the day with back pain (feeling better now though ) and was even looking up back exercises online too!!
Too weird!!

Neeedless to say - I didn't do my weights today. I'm even wondering if that may even be why my back got strained. I have been doing a challenging routine for me, but I think I need to cut back a few exercises and lower the weight on the rest of my lower body ones. I'll use today as my day off and see how I feel tomorrow.

Goals for this week:
1. Cardio 20 min 3 times
2. Weights full body 3 times a week
3. Water - 100 oz a day
4. Do back homework
5. Stay pain free!

Does anyone else feel like they have a shelf on their back?? LOL I swear where my butt meets my back there is a shelf. But I want that shelf gone!!

Hey DusterCat - I hope your toe feels better soon!!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Week 1 results:

I met all my goals except one-- I keep forgetting to stretch after walking. Even though I didn't have a reward planned, I replaced our Brita pitcher to help with the water drinking. It's worked-- my goal was 3 quarts & I've been drinking 4 or 5. As far as the arm concentration goes, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I can't stop staring at mine. After 4 months of working out, I just noticed there's finally a part of my body that's starting to look sculpted! Every time I've been at the computer lately I find myself looking at them.

Week 2 goals:

1. REMEMBER to stretch 10 min. after walking daily.

2. Walk 30 min. daily and 45 min. on weekends

3. Either 45 min. strength class or 50 min. weight training 3x.

4. Continue water. I have REALLY noticed a difference with this & need to keep it up.

5. Do belly breathing and/or back strengthers daily. I don't think I'll be able to do the other homework though because I don't have a full length or hand mirror. I guess I'll just have to keep looking at my arms...

Reward if met: lifting gloves

It's great seeing how everyone is doing. Hopefully, we'll all stay healthy this week!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:38

Default 2nd week goals

Well, I did well with the walking.
I had good intentions about getting the bike out, and cleaning enough space on the floor to use the balance ball.. The floor got cleaned, however the energy to use the balance ball was not left after the energy needed to clean.
I feel good about this week though. It is easier and eaiser to walk.
Thurs. nite I took some people to a baseball game, and had to walk up 20 rows of chais, 40 steps at a steep angle, and I could do it without stopping. THe hear was pounding, but I did it!!

I am making healthy, sustainable changes in my life and it feels good.

I am so glad that I found this site and this group!

Rena
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:01
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile Good Morning Challengers!

I just wrote this HUGE response to everyone’s posts and lost it all. Grrr… does anyone else get dumped off on a regular basis? I usually type in a ‘working document’ in my word processing program, then cut and paste, but I get lazy sometimes. Oh well, nothing like negative consequences to encourage me to do it right next time.

DusterCat … We’re all rooting for your toe to heal soon! You know I think it’s a great idea that you’re finding exercise than you can do while sitting or lying down. I think ‘flailing and thrashing about randomly’ qualifies as a core strengthening in Pilates … J

Mary … {start airy-fairy new age music} I see … a smaller ‘shelf’ and a stronger back this time next year {music end} … LOL … I’m so glad you responded to your pain by taking it easier until you’re healed. Hopefully you’re feeling even better today.

Now … regarding the ‘shelf butt’, I heard the comedian a few years ago talk about hers. She was saying that her boyfriend loved it - he always had a place to put his drink, wallet, keys, etc. Okay. In the cold cyber light of Monday morning, that doesn’t sound very funny, but believe me, when she said it, it was hysterical. A friend of mine was very ‘shelf-y’; lost a bunch of weight and ended up with the prettiest form. My bottom looks like two deflated Danishes. I wonder if I ever lose weight, I’ll end up concave. Oh well. There’s always Frederick’s of Hollywood and their sleazy padded underwear! LOL

P.S. - Next week’s homework is bottom focused … Who’s the psychic now, Mary?!

Hatetocook … Love up those arms! How great to see the results of 4 months hard work! And hey, who really cares which area of the body you’re admiring, as long as you’re planting positive thoughts in your inner garden? (Although you might consider asking a close friend or family member if you can use their mirror for 10-15 minutes, or even checking out a clothing store’s dressing room mirror.) The Brita Pitcher is a wonderful thing, although some ‘scare’ report on the local news was talking about how they get buggy if you don’t change the filter on time (which I’ve been guilty of doing from time to time). My pitcher is cracked currently, so I need to invest in a new one. Hey, anything to keep downing that excellent fluid!

Rena … You’ve been doing so great! Now you’re ready to use your balance ball and get to your bike, plus you got all that exercise in preparing to make it happen! How to you use your ball? I've seen them around and keep thinking about Hippity Hops - do you remember those? I'd love rolling around on one someday, but I can't believe it could hold my weight. Does yours feel 'sturdy'? BTW, love your stadium-sized Stairmaster. How were your knees and thighs feeling the next few days after climbing 20 steep rows?

You’ve got the right attitude, fellow challenger: Let’s all keep making those sustainable changes towards better health!

How about everyone else? If you want, check in and tell us how you've been doing!

Last edited by AntiM : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 10:03.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:29

BF:

Hi everyone

I'm doing fine on the challenge and my back seems to be healing. I've had a few little twinges but nothing like the intense pain from last week. It sure makes me appreciate a relatively pain-free back! I revamped my weight lifting program and that seems to have helped too. At my age (47) I value working body parts LOL.

Friday - took the day of due to back pain
Saturday - lifted weights
Sunday - cardio 25 minutes (my goal was only 20 but I felt so good I did an extra 5!!)
Monday - lifted weights

I have been reading about Body for Life on this forum and borrowed the book from my sister and just got the Success Journal today. It is way cool!! I love journals and books to keep track of stuff and this one is awesome. Every day it has success stories and shows men and women and how they changed their bodies from dumpy to buff. Very inspirational!! I am going to start it next week.

Monika - bottoms next week?? great, maybe I'll get hemmoroids or something this week LOL

How's everyone else doing??

Keep on moving!!
Mary
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 04:58
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi, All!
Well, I have met my exercise goals each and every day. And even outdone myself during my longest walks in years for the past 2 weeks in a row.
Every day I do my thing and every day my thing gets easier to do!
I am cooking with gas, Folx! And plan on keeping the burner going full blast as I find my way to new found health! Woo! Hoo!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 11:05

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%
Default I'm not doing so well.

Although my intentions have been good, my follow through sucks. I'm letting the group down. I haven't been consistent with my exercise and I just don't feel motivated.

But I'm not giving up. This week I vow to do upper, abs and lower body workouts, and to stay as active as possible. I will run up and down the stairs as many times a day as I can. And I will continue my strength training.

Don't give up on my guys. I'm just in a little funk.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 12:27
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:

Ketodiva,

I’m so glad you checked in. There is no way you could let the group down! And it’s just not possible for your “follow through to suck” with your history of success at weight loss with this WOE!

We are so hard on ourselves when we don’t live up to our expectations. Are you trying to do too much? Are you setting yourself up for failure with the amount you’d like to be doing, not what’s realistic for your life right now? In reading your goals for this week, it seems like a lot. Maybe you could set your sights purposely a little lower until you’re out of your funk? I promise, no one will think less of you.

I’m challenging you, dear Ketodiva, to be kind to yourself and take it one step at a time. I’ll never give up believing that you can do anything you really want to do.

This is my first use of the Hugs Smiley … All for you, Ms. Ketodiva!

Take care!