Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 17:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

My ongoing experiment with bone broth has shown me that grass-fed and organic makes a difference. Those bones produce a thick, gelatinous stock; CAFO cow bones less so. My knees notice the difference, too, regardless of the amount of powdered beef gelatin I eat. I can afford only to alternate CAFO and grass-fed batches, though.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have yet to get my cats to eat it! I tried mixing it with the wet food and they walk away, then it gels! LOL I think I will give them a small amount, gelatin mixed in, then after they eat that, the rest of their food.
I have been giving my 10 year old cat treat hip treats and she ir running again! I hope the gelatin helps her, too.

Most of my aches are gone, now.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-12, 20:35

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

So just putting this here for people's info;

So, I saw you guys were doing the gelatin thing and I wanted to give it a try. I know that's a little "monkey see, monkey do" of me, but WTH, my kitchen is my playroom anyway. Like srsly, I was so inept in the kitchen before I started LC, really still am learning, but also as an aside, people who can't navigate their own kitchens don't know how lucky they are. Every thing you try is a new sort of adventure. Every mundane thing I try in my kitchen makes me feel like I'm studying some sort of arcane wizard lore! But anyway, so for the past few days, like, maybe 4 days, I've been following my nightly ritual, a large glass of hot water with a boullion cube and three heaping teaspoons of bovine gelatin dissolved in it. Didn't really matter to me what it was doing for me because A)it's tasty, B)I need the salt, and C)the jar label gives me a chuckle; "100% BOVINE GELATIN".

I'm only 31, but, and I know this may be due to my high weight for much of my life, but I've had for the past several years, like I would say 9 yrs maybe, what I will call "the knee crunchies". At first it was just the left knee, but then both, and it was LOUD. But not any pain or anything. But at any rate, they're gone. They just went away. Like totally, can't feel them, can't hear them. So I don't KNOW if it's the gelatin, cus would it do that that fast? Or is it just I'm relatively young and since it wasn't painful I'm assuming it wasn't as bad, so that's why it would go away so fast? But, that's the only thing I changed in my routine, so like what else could it have been?

I just thought I would plop that down in this thread here.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-12, 08:18

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

#35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 06:41

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Okay, my sixteen year old cat (16 human years = 84 cat years) and I are a month into our gelatin therapy!

James Bond is once again jumping from the bathroom vanity to the floor, instead of taking the intermediate step of jumping onto the toilet seat and then to the floor. Yesterday, he jumped from the bureau to the bed, a leap of three feet!

I've noticed that when I pick him up, he's more relaxed and floppy, like he used to be. There was a certain amount of care he used to need, and I would notice that from the tension in his body. Now, I can pick him up the old way.

I am so impressed.

What about me, the one who speaks English?

I've actually had twinges in my thumbs, but "good" ones. It's a bright/brief flare of something, but it isn't the ache of arthritis. And last night, when I woke up for a pitstop, I was drifting back to sleep, remembering when such an event would mean I had to take more ibuprofen, because now that I was awake, I would be aware of how much my hands would be aching.

Not any more.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 10:55

Plan: Ketosis
Stats: 280/275/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
So just putting this here for people's info;

So, I saw you guys were doing the gelatin thing and I wanted to give it a try. I know that's a little "monkey see, monkey do" of me, but WTH, my kitchen is my playroom anyway. Like srsly, I was so inept in the kitchen before I started LC, really still am learning, but also as an aside, people who can't navigate their own kitchens don't know how lucky they are. Every thing you try is a new sort of adventure. Every mundane thing I try in my kitchen makes me feel like I'm studying some sort of arcane wizard lore! But anyway, so for the past few days, like, maybe 4 days, I've been following my nightly ritual, a large glass of hot water with a boullion cube and three heaping teaspoons of bovine gelatin dissolved in it. Didn't really matter to me what it was doing for me because A)it's tasty, B)I need the salt, and C)the jar label gives me a chuckle; "100% BOVINE GELATIN".

I'm only 31, but, and I know this may be due to my high weight for much of my life, but I've had for the past several years, like I would say 9 yrs maybe, what I will call "the knee crunchies". At first it was just the left knee, but then both, and it was LOUD. But not any pain or anything. But at any rate, they're gone. They just went away. Like totally, can't feel them, can't hear them. So I don't KNOW if it's the gelatin, cus would it do that that fast? Or is it just I'm relatively young and since it wasn't painful I'm assuming it wasn't as bad, so that's why it would go away so fast? But, that's the only thing I changed in my routine, so like what else could it have been?

I just thought I would plop that down in this thread here.

I'm 30 and I've had the same thing in my knees for years! I've got to research this and join in.

thanks for the update!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 11:33

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Lightbulb

This gives me an idea! I wonder if it would be OK to make Gelatin Gummy Pills?

I was looking on Pinterest yesterday, and saw this:
Homemade Chewable Vitamins
http://wellnessmama.com/6357/chewable-vitamins/

And it got me thinking - what if I made these (without sugar/honey) - would it be simpler to have these on hand and grab one whenever?

I like this idea she had:
Adding Vitamin C Powder and using lemon juice to make chewable sour gummies

What do you think?
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 17:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatt
Adding Vitamin C Powder and using lemon juice to make chewable sour gummies

What do you think?

Great idea, except Vitamin C is very acidic on teeth. That's why we are better off taking in it tablet form.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 22:09

BF:

OK, that makes sense. I'll have to buy some Knox gelatin and give it a try - minus the vitamin C.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 09:07

BF:

OK, last night I tried the teaspoon of dried gelatin - and it all stuck in my mouth! I had a terrible time getting it unstuck - and I had a drink of water before and a full glass after. So that won't work for me. Today I have to try the Gummie idea!
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 10:22

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I saw Dana's post, too... has me curious.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 10:34

BF:

OK, making the gelatin gummies right . I wanted to make sour ones out of just lemon juice, but 1/1/2 lemons (all I had left) only made 1/4 cup of juice. So since I had no other juice, I opened up a can of Zevia (gingerale made with Stevia) that I was never going to drink a full can off - and added 1/4 cup of that.

So I made them up and put them in tiny silicone muffin molds, and they are i nthe freezer now!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 11:08

BF:

Worked out the nutrition content of the lemon gummies I made:
Calories: 8.6 per piece
Fat: 0.0g
Carbs: 0.7g
Fiber: 0.0g
Sodium: 4.5mg
Protein: 1.8g
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 17:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatt
Worked out the nutrition content of the lemon gummies I made:
Calories: 8.6 per piece
Fat: 0.0g
Carbs: 0.7g
Fiber: 0.0g
Sodium: 4.5mg
Protein: 1.8g

More importantly: how do they taste?
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 17:29

BF:

Pretty good actually! They still taste sour even with the stevia in the ginger ale, but since I was planning on making them sour gummies, they taste just right!