Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi Colleen, glad the shake helped - I think try it without the oats and see if its as good. If it isn't, keep them!

It is a bit panicky when you dont' know what to eat and everything seems 'out to get you'. I didn't really have this about my blood sugar, in that I was so used to it being all haywire, so it didn't really panic me, but I was fed up that it wasn't sorted.
I did what I used to do pre-LC (only using different foods) and that was to eat whenever I felt as though my blood sugars were dropping.
For a few days, I was eating every half hour or so. Nuts, cheese, almond muffins. Then it all seemed to calm down.
Don't forget stress will make it worse, with the adrenalin, so as much as you can, be calm.

Other things - you are getting enough minerals like potassium, calcium and magnesium aren't you?

I ran out of potassium for a couple of days and I went all woozy, just like low blood sugar - just worth checking, I take 400mg of potassium and 150% RDA of calcium and magnesium - can't remember what that works out to.

Hi Paige,
coffee made me really alert and buzzy (which I liked!) and manic, got loads done, but then hot and cold sweats, shaky and then shattered, just like low blood sugar, which I think is what it caused.

I've found decaf ground coffee, tastes just as good but none of the side effects and doesn't keep me awake at night either. I had a couple of days of headaches, in fact, weaned myself off it slowly, ie gave up coffee but kept tea for a while, then turned to decaf tea too.

It does sort out - I'm back level again - until I forget to eat, or exercise more than normal, or drink caf coffee....................
I think if we've got hypoglycaemia, we just have it for good, we manage it, it doesn't go away.
A bit annoying, but we could have much worse things.

Take care both, Jay
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 02:10
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone and Atkins
Stats: 275/251.5/150 Female 5,6
BF:
Progress: 19%
Smile

If found that switching all my breads, pastas, and grains for beans has done a great deal to steady my blood sugars. I don't get those nasty highs and lows anymore.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 05:42
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%

jaykay,
i love fitday!! its neat. i am hoping it helps me!! thanks for the info.
paige17257
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 04:32

Plan: dr atkins new diet reveloution
Stats: 195/173/135-140
BF:
Progress:
Talking hypogylciamiea

I tooam hypo low sugar etc and coffee definitley causes mind numbing headaches try decaf and most important drink loads of water some times being dehydrated can give you headaches.also inthe battle of the bulge it pays to have helpfrom a therapist I find hypnotherapy great a lot of diiet problems can be helped with the mind . good luck everyone
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default hypoglycemia

Hi I have just read all of your post they are very informing. I don't drink coffee, just herbal tea & water. I think my problem is I'm not eating enough. I was fine now in my 5th week of induction , I have all the symtoms back again . I'm not excersizing yet. I feel real yucky...I also had a very bad head cold and think i still have some of it. I've had this 15 years i feel this will all work out . I don't like Drs. anymore and I love this woe. My BS has been around 40 or 50 Then headache are terrible. I am going to try the shake w/out the oats. Thanks
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 03:08

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Have you tried eating *just* fat and protein for a while? I was experiencing the same 'hypoglycemic' symptoms, but when I'd test my blood sugar I'd found it was actually a little high, not low, pretty much every time. I'd get weak and shaky, sweaty and real hungry, but my BG would be something like 165 or so. So I tried an experiment where I eliminated ALL carbs, except for the few my body would convert from the meat's proteins. I did that for 3 days--I ate chicken, beef, bison, rabbit, turkey, fish. I ate only a few eggs and no cheese. I used real butter liberally and heavy cream in my decaf coffee. I used Splenda for my sweetener. I drank a whole lot of spring water. (yes, it was boring) But it worked. Now I rarely get those symptoms and when I do, I immediately test my BG and my BP. When I was taking Glucotrol I'd have my BG go as low as 59 and not feel a thing wrong with me, but when my BG gets above 180 or so I get similar 'hypoglycemic' feelings. Very nervous, shaky, etc. That tells me it's time to go run around the block for 30 minutes, or go climb the stairs a million times until my BG starts to come back down, then go back on my boring, but useful high-fat nearly no carb way of eating for a day or two. I think it's kind of a 3 steps forward, 2 steps back kind of thing, but it's working...slowly. On my 'good' days (or weeks) I can actually have some fruit every day, or a piece of bread or potato occasionally, but certainly not every day. I try to concentrate on eating more veggies to increase my carbs, not starches or sugars, as I get the 'rebound' effect much too strongly (on a 'bad' day).
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default sounds like me

hi there!
that sounds like exactly what i was experiencing. i would feel very hypoglycemic, but when i tested my BG, it would be semi high, like 140 or 150. my problem is that when i feel that bad, i dont think that i could walk or run around the block. i usually try to eat some protein, and wait it out. i let it get the best of me and panic, and then i get really sick feeling. i have been of the wagon for about 3 wks. my cycle was late, and my hormones were all whacked out, and i couldnt control my eating. but now, that i look all bloated, i am ready to try again!! my cholesterol is high again, so i am going to have to do low-carb, and low fat!! i guess some of us, have to do both. i must have been eating too much high fat cheese and such. i dont eat fatty meat, so i have to figure out, where it is coming from. thanks for the info!!
ttyl,
paige
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default hypoglycemia

Hi I felt better for 2 days 'cause i brought my veggies up. but today i got real busy quilting a gift for my daughters birthday and didn't eat as much. I'm registering around 60 . Thanks for all you help i suppose i will work this out , my husband thinks I should go off the diet, but i don't want to. I know it is a matter of time . Thanks everybody