Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 17:17

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 203/189/155 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

No scales here. I tend to think into it too much if I have the scales. It is more relaxing for me not to obsess about daily ups and downs.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 17:59

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

I only will weigh monthly personally. Clothes will tell me what is happening. It is easy to get discouraged for me weighing often. Also with easy jumps down on the scale I can convince myself I am doing so well I can have junk. Easier to avoid those issues for me.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

I am...but not by choice! My scale must be on the fritz because I can step on it once and get 151, step on it again and get 174?? Changed batteries and still get weird swings. And I just refuse to buy another dang scale! (I think I've probably owned at least a dozen in my lifetime!) So I guess it's down to measurements and changes in clothing sizes!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 12:19

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

$#*#!! My scale isn't coming today, in fact, when I called Amazon, they said it has not even shipped yet! I thought there was a glitch, but no.....

Well, look on the bright side, hopefully by the time it DOES get here, maybe I'll have lost a couple more pounds! But the waiting and not knowing how much I weighed when I started this diet 8 days ago is killing me! All I can go is a guesstimate.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 15:08

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Never, ever. Whenever I go without a scale, I will without fail somehow believe "I'm fine" and the weight will creep back on. Better the disappointment of not losing a pound when you thought you should, over the disappointment of realizing "I'm fine" is really a 20 pound gain.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 12:23

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 110/108/100 Female 161cm
BF:
Progress:

Acually for me when i use the scale and see that I lost weight, I loosen up a bit too much and end up gaining the weight back with a cheat meal of carbs... but I only weight myself in the mornings and it always fluctuates which is super unreliable
I suggest weekly weighing or even just twice a month just to make sure you're on track
Because you're not going to permanently lose 1lb in one day so there's no need to weigh daily but its still good to know that you're making good progress
Sometimes its hard to measure in the same spot and clothes might stretch
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 12:36

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I weigh every morning and I usd to let the weight effect my mood for the day. But I don't know if age is doing me a wonderful thing or what but it doesn't bother me any more. Of course BF and I joke about if its a bad day or a good day after I weigh in and keeping it light helps.

I weighed 2 oz up yesterday and 4 more up this mornng, I crawled back into bed and told him it was going to be a bad day. He started laughing, know what it meant and then checked out my boobs to see if the 6 oz came back in my boobs (he says it didn't) We changed the subject and went on with our morning and I don't let it get to me. I will keep weighing every morning and I know TOM is due today so I'm not going to let the weight fluctuations get to me.

My pants are getting loose to, every time BF gets behind me I ask him if my butts getting baggier It helps to keep things light, everythings better if you can joke about it
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-14, 19:03

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

I probably should be.

I fit into a pair of jeans that was previously tight yesterday and was happy, then I got up and weighed myself in the morning and found I was up 1lb from when I last checked. The jeans still fit just fine, so I know I didn't gain weight/water weight.

It still sucked the wind out of my sails a bit, though.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 07:21

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I don't even OWN a scale. I go by pants.

It's waaaaay to easy to cheat with a scale. Stand on it a certain way -- oh that cheat isn't showing up! -- it goes up two pounds and we give up -- no sense to the number that shows up. No connection to what we are doing or not doing until we record and look at the trend on a chart. I'm fiddly but not that fiddly.

I was so tired of dealing with that kind of torment that I decided not to pay attention to that stupid number.

And with low carbing, we are denser. We fit into clothes at a certain weight that we couldn't have when we were counting calories and starving. So we can be pouting at the NUMBER when we actually look good!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 08:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
So who cares what you weigh?? Water weight, muscle weight, full bladder/bowel, the odd lb or two on and off, here and there....... it means nothing. I can lose 3lbs by going to the bathroom lol. You need to see and feel your clothes getting loser and moving down sizes. Thats what counts!

Jo xxx

I agree completely, especially love the lose 3lbs in the loo bit.

Being a control freak, I have to know what I weigh every day since I am eating clean (only cheated once in 41 weeks) I know it's water retention, or I need to visit the loo

There are people also using keto-stix to gauge their progress doing this WOE. I haven't used those since 1978 when I first did A'72 and lost 90 lbs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 08:46

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I weigh every day (but...it's not because I'm 'scale obsessed'..because if I start picking up water in my lungs/body..sometimes the scale catches it before I realize I can't breath well).

I was amazed by the ups and downs while I was losing...now that I'm all 'done stick a fork in me' ...I'm STILL amazed because I'll 'experiment'..I ate the SAME things, the SAME amounts EVERY day for a week one time...and one day up two whole pounds, then the next up another .2 and then the next one pound LOWER than where I started, and so forth...truly amazing to me that the human body has such fluctuations (cuz there's never gonna be a TOM for me...too old, and past that).

It also makes me feel empathetic with 'newbies' to low carb though...
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 17:40

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

I think that daily weighing can prove how ridiculous the "3500 calories to burn a pound!" theory is. If that was true, there won't be the mystery gains I get at times, and NO WAY would the losses I see be possible.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 10:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
I think that daily weighing can prove how ridiculous the "3500 calories to burn a pound!" theory is. If that was true, there won't be the mystery gains I get at times, and NO WAY would the losses I see be possible.

#29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-14, 01:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/130 Female 5 feet 4 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

yes no scales for me too as mine is broken and not tempted to buy new one just yet,using clothes and my general well being as a marker
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 13:34
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

The many times I've "dieted" in the past - lo carb or otherwise - I'd weigh myself often - way too often. The long plateaus and occasional upticks on the scale were such a bummer and often zapped my motivation to keep trying. This time, I'm not "on" a diet - I've changed my diet to lo carb - permanently. Almost 3 months in now and I have not weighed myself once at home. 3 notches down on my belt tell me I'm doing fine. I'll get the number when I go to the doctor once or twice a year. It's actually quite nice not to be stressing about what's happening (or not happening) on the scale.