Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 06:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Your question is a good illustration that we might trip ourselves up when we see such a function as inevitable and something we must substitute for.

While I am all for finding good low carb alternatives, I have found regarding all bread products as merely "edible plates" gets my head focused on the right things. Sure, it's convenient and keeps our fingers from getting sticky, but I eat my sandwich fillings in omelets or in bowls; and find them both healthier and tastier for it.

I now see bread as a paper plate (sandwich) or no more appealing as a sponge (what sops up.)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 09:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

One can always take those juices and condense them to make a nice sauce.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's '72
Stats: 323/247/223 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I now see bread as a paper plate (sandwich) or no more appealing as a sponge (what sops up.)

I've had good luck with 'revo' rolls. I use Peggy's version; she's a member here.

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...-sandwich-buns/

They're made from eggs and cheese and you can use them for sandwiches, hamburgers, etc. They're really tasty too... The only drawback is they can be a little sticky. Maybe I'm not cooking them enough but when you eat them, you get little bits stuck to your fingers. Kind of like when you have a damp roll, which is why I wonder if I'm cooking them enough.

Last weekend I was at a conference and brought my lunch and used those. Ham & cheese and turkey & cheese with tons of mayo. Had them in my cooler with a bag of BBQ pork rinds and ate outside on the grass with some crystal light lemonade... It couldn't have been more perfect and it really hit home that I can make LC a new way of life. Up until then in the back of my mind I was still thinking "I can have all the good old foods back as soon as I lose the weight..."

That's the biggest change this year for me vs last year. Last year I just grilled meat. This year I'm experimenting with different recipes so I can have variety in my diet.

Hmmm.... That's really got me wondering now. I wonder if I could make the batter for the revo rolls and put it on the bottom of my baking pan and then add my casserole ingredients to the middle and top with a layer of cheese and then pork rinds....

Wasn't planning cooking tonight.... Gotta run, have shopping to do...
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 10:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2411
I've had good luck with 'revo' rolls. I use Peggy's version; she's a member here.

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...-sandwich-buns/

I love those, but I don't always have them handy. Also, it sounds a bit strange to say I love Peggy's buns!

Quote:
I wonder if I could make the batter for the revo rolls and put it on the bottom of my baking pan and then add my casserole ingredients to the middle and top with a layer of cheese and then pork rinds....

Wasn't planning cooking tonight.... Gotta run, have shopping to do...

I think that's a great idea, but would suggest putting the the revo roll batter on the TOP instead; won't squish them down or make them too liquidy that way, and you'll get some nice browning on top.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 10:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think that's a great idea, but would suggest putting the the revo roll batter on the TOP instead; won't squish them down or make them too liquidy that way, and you'll get some nice browning on top.

Hmm... Maybe pork rinds on the bottom for a 'crust'? I want something crunchy in it. I love when I get the side pieces and the cheese is really crunchy. In the center it never gets crunchy.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 12:19

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I would suggest adding the rev-roll "batter" towards the end of cooking if your casserole takes longer than 30 minutes to bake.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 12:51
Registered Member

BF:

Good point but mine cooks in 25 minutes or so.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 14:34

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Sounds ideal then
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 17:37

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Hmm... Maybe pork rinds on the bottom for a 'crust'? I want something crunchy in it. I love when I get the side pieces and the cheese is really crunchy. In the center it never gets crunchy.

I love crunchiness too but I think if you put pork rinds at the bottom of your casserole they will just be soggy. Maybe you could make some crunchy pork rind crumbs separate from the casserole and incorporate them when you serve. Or maybe the pork rind crumbs could sit on top of the batter. They still might absorb liquid though. Soggy pork rinds are spongy rather than crunchy.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 18:22
Registered Member

BF:

Well I've got a 'test' casserole in the oven right now. I used pork rinds top and bottom, so we'll see.

Also, about the revo roll batter on the bottom. I wasn't clear but I was going to bake that first, then scoop the casserole innards on top, then cheese and finally pork rinds on top.

I also made some 'breaded' fried chicken that was to die for.

I used 2.25 oz PR, 1/4 cup ground flax meal, 1tbs parmesan, 1/2 tsp each oregano, chopped dried basil leaves, onion and garlic power (all things from the spice rack). I put in the food processor and pulsed it till it was fine like bread crumbs. Then I used an egg white and coated the chicken and fried it in light olive oil.

OMG was it good. That's the same mixture that I used for the casserole. It makes a good bit, so for fried chicken it would probably do a family sized dinner's worth. I don't know how well it would save so adjust as needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fried_chicken2.jpg (21.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by cobra2411 : Sun, Aug-26-12 at 18:30.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 19:26
Registered Member

BF:

Well it turned out pretty good. The bottom crust wasn't crunchy or soggy. I think it soaked some of the juices up and became part of the casserole middle. The top didn't get as crunchy as I'd hoped.

I'll have to keep working on it. I used hot sausage and tomatoes instead of celery and it turned out really well. LOTS of leftovers.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-12, 17:44

Plan: general
Stats: 150/140/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I usually alternate between cauli mashed potatoes and a bag of frozen spinach, thawed obviously . Another idea is zucchini "noodles". Just last night I made a yummy chicken/broccoli/summer squash mixture and mixed in a jar of garlic alfredo sauce (Aldi's brand) and some chicken broth to make the liquid stretch farther. I put it over zucchini noodles (google it, VERY easy) and it was DELISH. I've had the same mixture, and many others, over spinach and cauli mashed potatoes - all good. Spinach is definitely the easiest and is a great sub for pasta in my opinion!

Hope that helps
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 15:23

Plan:
Stats: 290/191/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Sometimes I make some low carb biscuits. I like having them with stew. Yum!

http://guiltfreegourmet.blogspot.ca...c-biscuits.html

I've also made some yummy green onion cakes to go with asian dishes.

http://guiltfreegourmet.blogspot.ca...nion-cakes.html