Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

This potato (cauliflower) salad was fantastic! The first day I made it, there was a little bit of a texture thing. BUT, the 2nd day, the texture thing was not a problem at all and my children and DH loved it. The flavors soaked in so well after a day in the refridge. I used my sweet pickle relish made with splenda-homemade relish. This was a key ingredient for me. Flavor was just like potato salad! Excited about this and summer BBQ's. Thanks Pilotgal!

Donna
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 20:49

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

A rasher of bacon's a slice.. :0)

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-20-12 at 04:21.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 23:07

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

OK everyone, hold onto your hats... Try making your old potato salad recipe and sub the potatoes out for RADISHES...
I know, sounds weird, but you boil them the same as potatoes and even my Non lc friends and familly can't tell the difference, honest, and it has a more potato-y feel than cauliflower does.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 04:25

BF:

Quote:
This potato (cauliflower) salad was fantastic! The first day I made it, there was a little bit of a texture thing. BUT, the 2nd day, the texture thing was not a problem at all and my children and DH loved it.

I wish that I could agree, but my BF and I ate the entire recipe in one sitting :0(. Yesterday we made mushroom soup and a gorgeous creamy aubergine curry and I ate too much of both. :0( I love good veggie dishes, and find it very hard to restrain myself. I have a big pot belly today, and I know why :0(

Quote:
Try making your old potato salad recipe and sub the potatoes out for RADISHES...
I know, sounds weird, but you boil them the same as potatoes and even my Non lc friends and familly can't tell the difference, honest, and it has a more potato-y feel than cauliflower does.

Robin'sNest... thanks very much for the radish tip. I will try that. I won't be stopping from making the cauliflower salad, though, because it was ACE - on or off low-carb. I just need a gastric band, lol.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 05:12
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Clarks book
Stats: 252/238/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 13%

A rasher is a single slice of bacon :-)
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 05:26
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
I ate too much of both. :0( I love good veggie dishes, and find it very hard to restrain myself.

this is a major problem for me as well.
i have absolutely no restraint with quantities when it comes to the substitute food group..

whether it's faux potato salad like this one..
or cauliflower au gratin..

i have absolutely no restraint.. i eat massive quantities..
that's why i have to keep my food variety down.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
this is a major problem for me as well.
i have absolutely no restraint with quantities when it comes to the substitute food group..

whether it's faux potato salad like this one..
or cauliflower au gratin..

i have absolutely no restraint.. i eat massive quantities..
that's why i have to keep my food variety down.

Sob...

I think with me it is the insulin monster which rears it's head. If I can keep myself on induction level carbs: a very low-carb breakfast with a maximum of about 10 carbs each at lunch and dinner, plus avoid caffeine, I can eat just about anything and keep myself on track.. Perhaps what I must do is serve my protein and greens on a dinner plate, and have a very small plate for the slightly more carby dishes, such as the cauliflower and aubergine, and not allow myself extra servings, since the need for extra food is usually a good sign that something has gone awry.

I have been trying to increase my veggies for a particular health benefit, and I had been doing quite well with eating a lot more, in the form of stir-fries, etc.. with absolutely no problem... However, I added cream cheese to both the cauliflower salad and the aubergine, and perhaps that's what made a difference. I don't eat a lot of cream because it seems to affect my insulin and I don't feel great for eating it.. but I have never noticed that with cream cheese. However, this is the first time I have combined cream cheese with slightly more carby veggies. I was asking MVSprite about her Somersize plan in a different thread, and perhaps there's something in the combination of fats and more carby choices which spikes the insulin.

Here's the thread so you can read what she wrote:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...12&page=1&pp=15

I want to learn a bit more about this issue, and see if there is any sound science behind it.

I should buy a blood sugar monitor. Now I want to increase my veggies, I am going to have to be a lot more careful, because my topmost priority is to improve my health, including increasing my veggies and keeping my weight down.

Thanks for your post. It always helps to know that I'm not freaky for enjoying veggies, lol.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Apr-20-12 at 08:07.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 12:30

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing

I must say Robyn is a genius! The radishes as a substitute for the potatoes in the potato salad is absolutely delicious! I hate radishes! There is absolutely no hint of radish left and only potato texture to grab all that yummy flavor of the salad. Oh I'm so happy about this one.

Donna
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 14:16

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

So happy you liked it I also cube radishes, like cut in 4 put them in frypan with some oil, once they start to brown, add some diced french chalottes (lower in carbs than onion) DELISH, just like breakfast potatoes. You can also grate them, add some coconut flour and egg and salt and pepper, make little patties and fry until brown, like potatoe pancakes...!!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 14:25

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!

"sub the potatoes out for RADISHES..."
That sounds good too. I used a Daikon Radish for a gratin faux-potato recipe posted here in another thread. It turned out well - I actually think I'd go with cauli next time because it was rather sweet, but it was good and looked exactly like a potato gratin. I believe the recipe title was "Potatoes" Dauphinoise.
Kat
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 14:27

"i have absolutely no restraint with quantities when it comes to the substitute food group.."
I have that problem too - And some of the sub recipes really do take more time to prepare...I think I'll have a dish for a few days and it's gone that day. They are so good
Kat
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 14:41

MMM Robyn I will definitely try your "hash browns" recipe with radishes. I love them and eat them and /or cherry tomatoes at work - you can just pop them in your mouth and the radishes have the "crunch" factor that so much junk food has.

Kirsteen - the first Somersize book is called "Eat Great, Lose Weight" - she has several other books out, each building on Somersize - the last one she has changed her original plan a lot - "Sexy Forever" - but I really like the original plan. Most libraries have it. Someone on another post said she got her plan from French nutritionist Michel Montignac. I don't care where she got it from - it works for me because of my carb sensitivity and insulin issues. There is another book out that explains it well too - similar to Suzanne's book, called "This is Why You're Fat" by Jackie Warner. I actually bought it. I skipped the exercise part, just wanted the nutritional information.
Hope this helps.
Kat
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 09:18
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

This is a great idea and tastes wonderful. Thanks so much.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 20:45
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I wonder if Rutabagas would work? I have to confess I often put away 12 rashers of bacon at one sitting

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lo...tabagafries.htm

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Apr-22-12 at 21:21.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 21:12

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
So happy you liked it I also cube radishes, like cut in 4 put them in frypan with some oil, once they start to brown, add some diced french chalottes (lower in carbs than onion) DELISH, just like breakfast potatoes. You can also grate them, add some coconut flour and egg and salt and pepper, make little patties and fry until brown, like potatoe pancakes...!!

Omg. I think I love you. I will be trying both of these STAT!