Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 09:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi Amanda- why does D3 mean i need the other kind of magnesium? I don't know if it matters, but I have also been deficient in vit D before- taking the d3 has allowed to get into the mid-30's (obviously the low end, but still within normal).

Update- nurse called and said my Dr. said he suggested the MagOx, hoping it will raise my level enough that i can stop taking it in a month when he wants me rechecked. He said he hoped the MagOx would work since it is so much cheaper.

Soooo, I think maybe I want to stay on it, even if my levels do end up back at the low end of normal, so i don;t get into this situation again. And since he was just trying to save me $$$ i will try the chelate after i run out of the ox?

thanks again, guys- i have been feeling overwhelmed by the conflicting info on the net
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 12:48

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Robin120,

You wrote this question above:

Quote:
Hi Amanda- why does D3 mean i need the other kind of magnesium?

When you take vitamin D3, the body needs magnesium, too, to do the work that D3 is supposed to do, so the uptake of magnesium from your food is higher than it might otherwise be. However, the not-so-good thing is that many of us don't get enough magnesium in our food so that when we take D3, our bodies "steal" it from elsewhere, such as from our muscles, leaving us feeling tired and prone to cramps. If this happens and people aren't aware (or their physicians aren't either) of this possibility occurring then, understandably, people blame the D3 for the new symptoms they have, when it is highly likely that a lack of magnesium is causing the problem.

As another poster pointed out, the body absorbs Mg oxide very poorly, so if you are deficient, this is not the best or quickest way to build up your magnesium stocks. It might be cheap, but if it doesn't work, then it is still a waste of money.

I took Mg oxide for years, thinking I was being really clever because I got 400mg in one tablet, whereas the ones I'd taken previously (Mg citrate, I believe) had been much lower dosed per tablet and, what's more, they were really cheap and I could get them at any drugstore here in Germany!!! Eventually, however, I began to notice that they weren't making any diffference whatsoever to my symptoms: no matter how much I took, my night-time toe and calf cramps just would NOT go.

Finally, I started trying out different kinds of magnesium, some very expensive, others not so expensive. After testing various kinds, I now use this brand:

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-...lets/16567?at=0

I have also recommended this brand to many people on this forum and have received good feedback from lots of them.

240 tablets cost $17.17, plus a bit for shipping, so, for the sake of argument, let's round it up to $20. Each tablet contains 100mg, so you'll need to take about 4 of them a day to make sure you're getting enough Mg into your system (although you should maybe start on 200mg a day and then work upwards). So that bottle would last you for sixty days, which means (I think!!!) that we're talking about the princely sum of 33 cents per day.

Quote:
Update- nurse called and said my Dr. said he suggested the MagOx, hoping it will raise my level enough that i can stop taking it in a month when he wants me rechecked. He said he hoped the MagOx would work since it is so much cheaper.

It's kind of nice, really, that your Doc is thinking of your cash situation, but still, even if you're on a really tight budget, 33 cents a day doesn't seem a lot to me, even for someone on a tight budget, given that those 33 cents might give you back your energy and improve your health in a multitude of ways.

Quote:
I don't know if it matters, but I have also been deficient in vit D before- taking the d3 has allowed to get into the mid-30's (obviously the low end, but still within normal).

I think all this means is that you should regularly supplement with vitamin D3, throughout the winter, probably 5K every day, or every other day.

Quote:
Soooo, I think maybe I want to stay on it, even if my levels do end up back at the low end of normal, so i don;t get into this situation again. And since he was just trying to save me $$$ i will try the chelate after i run out of the ox?

Seems like a plan!

Quote:
thanks again, guys- i have been feeling overwhelmed by the conflicting info on the net.

We all know that feeling!!! This is why I still rely on plain old books when I want to read about something "properly". I can recommend "The Magnesium Factor" and "The Magnesium Miracle", both of which I have read (and re-read!!!) and found most enlightening!

amanda
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 13:11

BF:

wow, thanks for all the info, Amanda. This is so incredibly helpful!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 16:56

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Interesting article by Michael Eades about cramping, electrolytes, dehydration, etc: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...low-carb-pt-ii/

Very helpful article by a nutritionist about magnesium: http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html She recommends the patented Albion Labs magnesium glycinate.

One provider is Swanson Health Products. I haven't tried this yet myself but just ordered some as it's very economical. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU074/ItemDetail Taking 3 a day, providing about 400 mg, is only 12 cents a day.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 17:20

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thanks Amanda, I say your post and bought a bottle. It was still $17 something or other, because new customers got 10% off, and shipping for that bottle was $2 something.

I get tingles in my legs and feet and it gets really uncomfortable. Its always worse when I eat a lot of carbs but I still have the problem. I also take Vit D, maybe the magnesiam suppliment will help.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 22:30

Plan: Kwasniewski
Stats: 120/132/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -240%

i want to add my two cents-- i would not recommend waiting until your mag oxides run out. i took too much vitamin d a couple weeks ago and it seems i am still recovering from not having enough magnesium for the vitamin d to soak up. not a fun situation!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 03:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Very helpful article by a nutritionist about magnesium: http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html She recommends the patented Albion Labs magnesium glycinate.

Just so everyone knows, the one I recommended above is also made according to the Albion Labs chelation method and has their stamp on it.

It is also recommended by a site run by someone with atrial fibrillation, which is a condition where you need very very good magnesium. If they recommend the Albion Labs patented brands (Dr's Best High Absorption, Bluebonnet), then I guess they know what they are talking about: for them, magnesium is the difference between life and death!

amanda
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 10:45

BF:

I have decided to stop my Vit D and Calcium supplaments till the magnesiam gets here and I have a few days on it.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 11:27

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

sexym2- have you seen this about calcium?

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog...-vitamin-d.html
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 11:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
sexym2- have you seen this about calcium?

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog...-vitamin-d.html

Just did! I will think on that! It is a tough theory to get over and us not require calcium. I will defanitly cut back though and do more research. Thanks!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 12:24

BF:

yeah, I quit taking mine. hopefully I am getting enough dietary calcium.
taking supplements is not always so simple like you would think, hey?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-11, 19:45

BF:

No, its not. I like to think the supplements are there to help us. I know I don't eat dairy or any veggies that contain much calcium. My mother always pushed milk as a kid because "we got to get our calcium." I'm not certain how much of everything that we need, but I try. I've been trying to read articles that folks post so I can think on it myself. It can all get very confusing!

I do take Vit D in the winter, to try and help with my depression and I'm hoping the magnesium will help also. Plus my sleeping problems, tingling in my legs and feet and defanitely my depression!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-11, 21:46

BF:

mag has definitely helped my depression! I used to overreact to so many things in my life. I even knew I was overreacting but could not help it. It has not happened since I started it. amazing stuff- wish I had found it earlier.
I used to always take mag oxide and it did nothing for me(except send me to the bathroom)
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-11, 06:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
No, its not. I like to think the supplements are there to help us. I know I don't eat dairy or any veggies that contain much calcium. My mother always pushed milk as a kid because "we got to get our calcium." I'm not certain how much of everything that we need, but I try. I've been trying to read articles that folks post so I can think on it myself. It can all get very confusing!

I do take Vit D in the winter, to try and help with my depression and I'm hoping the magnesium will help also. Plus my sleeping problems, tingling in my legs and feet and defanitely my depression!

Hi there sexym2,

The tingling in your legs and feet, insomnia and depression could possibly be also related to a vitamin B12 deficiency. I say "could be" and "possibly" because, of course, this is only conjecture based on what I have read about B12 deficiency, mostly in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-...17559223&sr=1-1

This is also good - and free!!! - because it's on this guy's website:

http://chriskresser.com/b12-deficie...us-consequences

One of the best kinds of B12 to take is the one that appeared on the amazon.com site: the Jarrow Formulas 5000mcg methylcobalamin sublingual. This is a LOT of B12, though!!! Taking it sublingually (you dissolve it under your tongue) means that the B12 is absorbed via the membranes in your mouth and doesn't go via the normal intestinal route.

I am still trying to get my B12 levels up a bit because, despite the fact that I'm not a vegetarian or vegan and eat plenty of animal products, my levels are still not that good. I have been supplementing, too, though not so regularly lately. I am beginning to wonder if I do in fact have pernicious anaemia, but my levels are not low enough to warrant testing.

Anyway, look into it!!! In most cases, B12 deficiency is easily corrected with either B12 injections or sublingual tablets. And, if you read the article above, you'll discover that it is a deficiency that you definitely don't want to get worse than it might already be!!!

All the best,

amanda
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-11, 07:38

BF:

Hey guys- just wanted to update, since you all helped me so much.

I stuck with the mag ox (will upgrade to chelate soon- i am almost out!). Repeated the labs one month from when deficiency was dx'ed.

Taking 600mg of the mag ox/ day (Dr said 400- but i upped a bit, since i read that it is not well absorbed), labs are much improved and i have only had 1 episode of extreme tingling sensation since.

However, there is still an electrolyte imbalance and a high ATL (one of the liver tests), so we are still figuring things out.

anyway, at least the magnesium is improving- thanks for all your advice,

Robin